World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS /  

Current Info on US World Heritage Closures

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 17 Oct 2013 11:43 
I think the NPS should offer a free annual pass to any foreign tourist who can provide evidence they were not able to visit the national parks during the government shutdown.

Small gesture, but there were a lot of frustrated and disappointed visitors from all over the world. Many (as you say) have no intention of coming back anytime soon.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 20 Jan 2018 06:22 
Hmm, bump?

Author Colvin
Partaker
#18 | Posted: 20 Jan 2018 21:59 | Edited by: Colvin 
As I understand it, outdoor US national parks will be open for visits during this shutdown, but at the visitor's own risk since rangers won't be around to advocate safety around wildlife. This also assumes you can access the park, since no one would be around to clear snow from roads during the shutdown. National sites inside buildings may be locked up, and sites that require transportation, like the Statue of Liberty, will not be accessible. Outdoor memorials, like those in DC, should remain open for visitors.

I'd recommend for any travelers to research beforehand whether the park or site you want to visit will be open/accessible. The good news is that for those open to visitors, there will be no one available to collect fees.

Here are some articles on how the shutdown is affecting US national parks and sites:

Washington Post article on national parks
Los Angeles Times article on national parks
Fox Business list of parks opened and closed

Author Colvin
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 21 Jan 2018 23:20 
The shutdown continues, but in good news, the state of New York will be covering the expenses to reopen the Statue of Liberty on Monday:

New York to fund Statue of Liberty during government shutdown

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 22 Jan 2018 00:42 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
Thanks Colvin, that sounds more positive than last time. I was trying to find some info on individual national park sites but there wasn't anything there. But that may have been because I was looking too early.

Hopefully it doesn't affect too many travellers.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#21 | Posted: 22 Jan 2018 21:31 
And just like that, the shutdown is over. For now. We'll see what happens when the next deadline for resolving the budget comes up on 8 February.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS /
 Current Info on US World Heritage Closures

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑