World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS /  

Best and Worst WHS Ticket prices

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 25 May 2012 03:22 | Edited by: Solivagant 
meltwaterfalls:
I kept track of this on my list as well, here is what I found in regards to free sites. ....... Giants Causeway (in Open land)

It is many years since I went but I understand that the National Trust is about to (July 2012) charge 8.50
- http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/New-Giants-Causeway-Visitor-Centre-Opening-Jul y-2012-A3282

Are you suggesting with your comment about "open land" that this is a bit of a con and is really only for the "Visitor Centre" and "Car Parking" so that, if you want you can go just onto the main site without paying if you are prepared to forego these 2 "benefits"!! Wiki does say that the site is "owned and run" by the NT rather than being "common land".

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 29 May 2012 11:59 
Solivagant:
Are you suggesting with your comment about "open land" that this is a bit of a con and is really only for the "Visitor Centre" and "Car Parking" so that, if you want you can go just onto the main site without paying if you are prepared to forego these 2 "benefits"!! Wiki does say that the site is "owned and run" by the NT rather than being "common land"

I couldn't really find a good term for it, but all the sites I put down as 'Open land' were ones that you could just walk up to.

When I visited the Giant's Causeway (2007) it was free to walk up to, the area was run by the National Trust who had a cafe/ gift shop there, but no charge to see the actual site. I guess it would be pretty easy to charge a fee though as access is pretty limited due to the site being inaccessible from 3 sides due to the sea and cliffs.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#18 | Posted: 29 May 2012 13:40 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Having investigated further I am of the opinion that entrance to the Causeway itself is indeed FREE -and that the charges are for miscellaneous services and are avoidable! It does appear that the new centre will see a change - instead of a parking fee per car at the site (which was free to National Trust members) there will be a per head charge for the "Visitor Centre"

One Web site states
"Admission Summer 2012 onwards.
A one-off per head charge of 8.50 for the Causeway Experience which includes car parking and centre entrance"
Note the use of capital letters for "Causeway Experience" - it is trying to imply that it is to see the Causeway but is presumably the name given to the Visitor Centre show!

Another ( http://causewaycentreireland.com/ ) states
"When the new facility is opened in June a charge of 8.50 will be made for the "Causeway Experience", this includes entrance to the new facility and car park. There is no charge to go to the stones, you just walk there and find alternative parking or travel up from Bushmills on the Park and Ride"
However the Park and ride itself isn't free - it isn't clear to me what will happen if you take and pay for the Park and Ride and therefore don't need the Car Park at the Visitor Centre. Do you still have to pay 8.50 per head for the "Causeway Experience"?

Author alexlove74
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 1 Jun 2012 17:29 
Bahrain Fort I confirm the entry is free, the ticket is only for the museum
Land of Frankincense I confirm the most of the sites are not for free (actually the only site for free is where are the Frankincense trees)
Fagus Factory... there is a small fee to pay for the tour (but there's nothing to pay for parking inside and visit everything from the outside..)
Madain Saleh in Saudi is for free (but you need to get the entry permit from the police)
Al Diryah also was for free at the time of my visit (even if there was big restoration work and officially closed, we could go around almost everywhere)
Al Ain in UAE all the sites are for free as well (Archaeological Park & oasis, plus of course the open air tombs)

Author joycevs
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 2 Jun 2012 03:58 | Edited by: joycevs 
elsslots:
Fagus Factory (the museum isn't free, how about the tours?)

The tours are free but end in the museum where you have to pay the entrance fee.

Author joycevs
Partaker
#21 | Posted: 3 Jun 2012 09:52 
When it comes to wordt ticket prices: Petra in Jordan is about 90 euros for a day visit (cheaper if you stay overnight, but still)

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#22 | Posted: 3 Jun 2012 18:04 
joycevs:
Petra in Jordan is about 90 euros for a day visit

Blimey that is scandalous. It is not even in the realms of being expensive, it seems pretty much like extortion.

I remember Angkor being very out of kilter with local costs but it was no where near that sort of price. However if I remember correctly a large chunk of the ticket price went to a third party chemical company that didn't seem too concerned with preservation.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#23 | Posted: 3 Jun 2012 18:55 | Edited by: Solivagant 
I addressed this issue in my recent review of Petra. It has also been in the Connection for "High Entrance Fees" for some time.
The 90 JD charge is an attempt by Jordan to gain some extra benefit from all the day trippers from Israel and Egypt who contribute little to the Jordanian economy whilst clogging up the site!

"Tourists spending only one day in Jordan, like daily visitors from neighbouring countries, will be charged different (higher) entrance fees than those spending more time in Jordan (overnight visitors). Cruise ship passengers are considered overnight visitors too."
i.e It is supposed to be for a 1 day visitor to JORDAN - not just to Petra.

It would be interesting however to hear how one PROVES that one is an overnight visitor!! I have heard that the ticket office can give problems! If your passport has an entry stamp from at least the previous day then that should be ok - but what if your visit is on your first day or of you only have a copy of your passport pages etc. Our tickets were obtained by a tour guide so we didn't face any questions.

Author alexlove74
Partaker
#24 | Posted: 13 Jun 2012 17:07 
I had to pay a fee for entrance with car to Pont du gard site.. I don't know about going there with other means of transportation

Author alexlove74
Partaker
#25 | Posted: 13 Jun 2012 17:12 
Struve is free also in Hammerfest (the northest one, maybe the more interesting)

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#26 | Posted: 18 Nov 2014 11:52 
Stumbled across the entrance fee for Monticello, it is a fairly steep $25, but more amazingly that is for a tour that lasts just 30 mins.

$0.83 a minute seems more in the scale of a premium rate phone line than a World Heritage Site.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS /
 Best and Worst WHS Ticket prices

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑