World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS /  

New Tentative Lists

Page  Page 24 of 24:  « Previous  1  2  3  ...  22  23  24

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#346 | Posted: 10 Feb 2016 10:48 
elsslots:
Ah, great. A cathedral, a Christian Monastery and a sacred mountain.

:) You are sounding like me!

The batch before included some Beech forests and the grounds of a European Royal palace, so they had to try and come up with some underrepresented sites this time around.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#347 | Posted: 10 Feb 2016 11:39 | Edited by: Solivagant 
winterkjm:
Risco Caido and the sacred mountains of Gran Canaria Cultural Landscape (2016)

In trying to discover more about this new T List site I came across this UNESCO-related Web site (produced "in partnership with the World Heritage Centre"!!) which was new to me at least. It seems to contain some "good stuff" (note the map of astronomically related WHS and other relevant sites. Red is WHS and orange is T List. Yellow and green indicate the degree of documentation of the others. These have been solidly documented even to the extent of ,"comparative analysis" and, in some cases e.g this one, a draft OUV statement. It all must have cost a lot of time and money to put together. I wonder who paid for it all? The "Centre" is supposed to be short of money - but it is stated in the text that UNESCO are on the editorial team!! ICOMOS seems to be involved on a continuing basis too.). An interesting aspect is just how comprehensive the section on Risco Caldo is for a site which has only just been added to the T list - it looks as if it has been being developed as a potential nomination over some time. See http://www2.astronomicalheritage.net/index.php/show-entity?identity=77&idsubentity=1

As for the new T List site itself, it does genuinely seem of interest among the hype of this Web site. Having recently returned from trip to the Canaries I have been reading up about the pre-Hispanic inhabitants of the islands (Usually called "the Guanche" - though that word isn't used in the description of this site - probably because "strictly," the term only applies to the original inhabitants of Tenerife . See this Wiki page for background https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanches ) since their remains exist in e.g Garajonay WHS (and in my review of it i conclude that Spain probably nominated this "Natural" site on mixed criteria originally). Probably Berber in origin, they gave the Spaniards a few bloody noses during the 15th Century before being overwhelmed - though, as the above Wiki article shows, their genes are still quite widely present within the "Canarian gene pool".. The "duplication" aspect of this T List site could be greater as these people have a rock art site on Tenerife which could have been chosen!!! See https://www.academia.edu/5751362/The_rock_art_site_of_Risco_Blanco_Tenerife_Canary_Is lands_and_the_Saharan_Horsemen_Cycle
In summary this site does appear to belong to an interesting defunct insular culture which deserves to be considered seriuosly!

Author Khuft
Partaker
#348 | Posted: 23 Feb 2016 16:12 | Edited by: Khuft 
Solivagant:
Risco Caldo is for a site which has only just been added to the T list - it looks as if it has been being developed as a potential nomination over some time.

Judging by their phenomenal website which I just came across, I'd say you're right!
http://riscocaido.grancanaria.com/

However, since it would be the first site to be directly associated with the guanches / aboriginal canarians, I'm moderately in favour of it (even if it feels like it's the thousandth site from Spain).

Page  Page 24 of 24:  « Previous  1  2  3  ...  22  23  24 
General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS /
 New Tentative Lists

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑