World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS /  

New Tentative Lists

Page  Page 22 of 24:  « Previous  1  ...  21  22  23  24  Next »

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#316 | Posted: 24 Apr 2015 05:12 
winterkjm:
bringing their total to 62! The most for any country.

It seems odd to me to have so many on the T-list, one nomination a year and they are set until 2078!

42 of them have been added in the last 4 years so it isn't just a case of not getting rid of the older sites, though there are still 14 from their 2000 update.

Perhaps it is done to attract international attention to these sites by giving the added kudos of "being under consideration for the World Heritage List". Or perhaps it is useful in terms of domestic heritage policy, attracting funding or greater protection.

Author Khuft
Partaker
#317 | Posted: 24 Apr 2015 10:24 
meltwaterfalls:

It seems odd to me to have so many on the T-list, one nomination a year and they are set until 2078!

Maybe they want to challenge/overturn the "one nomination a year" rule at some point in the future. I'm sure they would find allies in the likes of China, Spain or Iran...

Author Assif
Partaker
#318 | Posted: 25 Apr 2015 17:01 
It is interesting to see that already in its 1984 T-list Italy considered proposing sites with OUV based on their thermal architecture. The candidates were San Pellegrino (later also stipulated for its place as a papal residency), Meran(o) and Arco di Trento (although the latter is not a thermal destination - an error?). Montecatini was not included.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#319 | Posted: 30 Apr 2015 21:33 | Edited by: winterkjm 

Author Assif
Partaker
#320 | Posted: 1 May 2015 09:20 
Assif:
I am disappointed to see only one natural site. I also miss a nomination of the Rumah Gadang.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumah_Gadang

Happy to finally see Nagari Sijunjung (Rumah Gadang is the name of their buildings). It seems really exceptional.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#321 | Posted: 1 May 2015 10:02 
Assif:
Nagari Sijunjung (Rumah Gadang is the name of their buildings). It seems really exceptional.

Thanks for highlighting those, they look wonderful.

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#322 | Posted: 14 May 2015 10:20 | Edited by: kkanekahn 
India added 3 new sites in TL

1)Jaipur city (It contains Jantar Mantar which is already a WHS)
2)Cold Desert Cultural Landscape of India
3)Sites along the Uttarapath, Badshahi Sadak, Sadak-e-Azam, Grand Trunk Road

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#323 | Posted: 20 May 2015 16:09 | Edited by: winterkjm 
2 Nominations from Israel

Liftah (Mey Naftoah) - Traditional mountain village (Israel)

This seems a bit odd for a Israeli nomination? Anyone been there, or know the history? "The only historic, intact Palestinian village. Due to its abandonment in 1948, as result of historic events, it has never been re-occupied, or demolished."

Ein Karem, a village and its cultural landscape (Israel)

Author Assif
Partaker
#324 | Posted: 20 May 2015 17:21 
Wow, I must admit I am astonished at these new Israeli nominations. Both are Palestinian villages within Jerusalem.
Liftah (the first) has never been fully resettled after its abandonment. There were new plans underway (last five years or so) to level up the remains of the village and build a new neighbourhood there, something that was mostly criticised by leftist groups and Palestinians. With the current right-winged government as well as right-winged Jerusalem mayor, I did not believe Liftah might stand a chance, proposing it as a WHS is therefore all the more surprising. I have no idea how this passed.
Ein Karem too would focus on the Palestinian architecture, although it also includes several modern Christian monuments.

Author Assif
Partaker
#325 | Posted: 22 May 2015 04:46 | Edited by: Assif 
Here is a link to an article about Lifta. It dates 2011, so long before the current surprising decision to propose it.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/may/29/ruined-palestinian-village-lifta-develop ment

And another one about Ein Karem:
http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/business/ein-karem-under-threat-1.310061

Author Khuft
Partaker
#326 | Posted: 6 Jun 2015 08:10 | Edited by: Khuft 
Not sure if this has been picked up yet - Jordan has renamed one of its TL sites. Old city of Salt is now:

Arab Eclecticism - Foundation and evolution of an Architectural School in the city of As-Salt (1860-1925)

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#327 | Posted: 23 Jun 2015 10:21 

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#328 | Posted: 29 Jul 2015 13:17 

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#329 | Posted: 22 Sep 2015 00:32 

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#330 | Posted: 1 Dec 2015 09:29 

Page  Page 22 of 24:  « Previous  1  ...  21  22  23  24  Next » 
General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS /
 New Tentative Lists

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑