World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS /  

New Tentative Lists

Page  Page 20 of 24:  « Previous  1  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  Next »

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#286 | Posted: 12 Mar 2015 12:31 
meltwaterfalls:
The other t-list sites in Rio (Former Education Ministry & Sao Bento)

I had completely missed Valongo Wharf Archaeological Site which was added last year. It looks like it was only discovered in 2011.
Rio seems to be as active as Seoul.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#287 | Posted: 12 Mar 2015 12:45 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
meltwaterfalls:
It looks like it was only discovered in 2011.

You can actually see it's progress on Google Street view.

From January 2010, March 2012, December 2014.

Author Khuft
Partaker
#288 | Posted: 12 Mar 2015 15:31 | Edited by: Khuft 
The new Brazilian TL sites are interesting - for various reasons:
- Is Brazil finally moving towards pushing its cultural heritage more (and might the other BRIC countries, in particular China and India, have inspired it to it)?
- Is a regional strategy at play? The Quixadá site is in Ceará, which has no sites so far; the serial fortresses nomination also generously spreads its love across most coastal states (incl. some, like Santa Catarina, with no sites so far). In contrast, Minas Gerais, which has a lot of cultural sites already, is not covered.
- Is a "Chinese" strategy at play of providing Brazil's major cities with the WH label? Rio could become a new Seoul, as mentioned by meltwaterfalls, or a new Beijing. At the same time, with the theatres and fortresses TL sites, cities like Manaus, Belém, Florianópolis, Recife and Natal could also become World Heritage Cities. (Belém also has Ver-o-Peso, included in the TL last year, as a hedge).

Author Assif
Partaker
#289 | Posted: 12 Mar 2015 18:17 
Khuft:
Is Brazil finally moving towards pushing its cultural heritage more

What Brazil is most significant for is its natural heritage and anyway its colonial period is well represented. Emperial sites (Petropolis), modern sites (Curitiba) or precolumbian sites (Kuhikugu, Marajo, Calcoene) unfortunately remain un(der)represented.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#290 | Posted: 12 Mar 2015 18:54 
So at least 6 sites added for Brazil

Amazonia Theaters (2015)
Brazilian Fortresses Ensemble (2015)
Cedro Dam in the Quixadá Monoliths (2015)
Geoglyphs of Acre (2015)
Itacoatiaras of Ingá River (2015)
Sítio Roberto Burle Marx (2015)

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#291 | Posted: 13 Mar 2015 09:02 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
I had completely missed that one as well> it is in Rio d.j. state, but to some extent reachable fro Rio city. Hmm, may have to have a think about if it is worth a visit or not.

Khuft:
Is a "Chinese" strategy at play of providing Brazil's major cities with the WH label?
I guess São Paulo is the obvious omission so far. The obvious sites that stand out for me are both Niemeyer works, Edificio Copan or the more likely Ibirapuera Park. Though with Pampulha up this year and Brasilia already on the list, I wonder if there is much hope, unless it is an extension.

Though Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace would be my other sentimental choice, no real reason for it to be a WHS though :)

Author Khuft
Partaker
#292 | Posted: 13 Mar 2015 14:38 | Edited by: Khuft 
I agree, Edificio Copan is a landmark from the perspective of architectural history, but it's not a glamorous choice (like Sydney Opera House) for a stand-alone nomination (I was unaware of Ibirapuera Park, so thx for highlighting it). Only if Brazil at some point moves towards a Niemeyer serial nomination is it likely to be considered. If at some point they do, it would be great if they included the Niterói Contemporary Art Museum...

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#293 | Posted: 16 Mar 2015 19:38 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Two sites from Spain

Site of the Retiro and the Prado in Madrid (2015)
Madinat al-Zahra (2015)

Essentially a large portion of Madrid is being proposed. The area of the protected core zone is 203.20 Ha.

Author Durian
Partaker
#294 | Posted: 16 Mar 2015 22:09 
winterkjm:
Madinat al-Zahra (2015)

From all Spanish tentative lists, this one really promising! Very similar to Fatehpur Sikri for its history

Author elsslots
Admin
#295 | Posted: 17 Mar 2015 00:37 
meltwaterfalls:
I'm just wondering if it would be good practice going forward if we provided hyperlinks to the new sites on the T-list? It just makes further exploration easier.

Could you provide the links if you discover new tentative sites from now on, winterkjm? As meltwaterfalls says, it makes it much easier to navigate

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#296 | Posted: 17 Mar 2015 01:31 
Sorry, forgot about this. Sure will.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#297 | Posted: 17 Mar 2015 08:09 

It is a welcome surprise to see a Western European country put forward two such significant sites. Whether they will make it onto or improve the list I'm not sure, but they are both pretty impressive, and removed from the usual collections of locally significant industrial ruins.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#298 | Posted: 23 Mar 2015 09:50 | Edited by: winterkjm 
The German Tentative List has now been updated with 12 new nominations.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#299 | Posted: 23 Mar 2015 09:59 

Author Assif
Partaker
#300 | Posted: 23 Mar 2015 11:13 | Edited by: Assif 
Re: Frontiers of the Roman Empire
This will include portions of the historic centre of Passau, so another way for the old nomination to proceed, as was recently recommended by the Bavarian heritage committee.

Re: Luther memorials
Here the advising committee recommended minor boundary changes. Clearly this advice was not followed.

Re: Altona Jewish Cemetery
This should be a transnational nomination with Suriname.

Re: Schwerin and Neuschwanstein
Here the advising committee recommended a common nomination. Here too the advice was not followed.

Page  Page 20 of 24:  « Previous  1  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  Next » 
General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS /
 New Tentative Lists

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑