World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 - Latin America and the Caribbean [2020]

Page  Page 5 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »

Author Rafabram
Partaker
#61 | Posted: 23 May 2020 18:28 
Name: Sumapaz National Park
TWHS: No
Description: This national park comprises two of the most important ecosystems of the Andes mountains: the páramo and the andean forests. Sumapaz has close to 43% of the biggest páramo complex of the world (142.112 ha). In páramo ecosystem, the plants and animals are adapted to the cold, dry conditions of the high peaks. Over 200 species of vascular plants are native to the area with substantial amount of endemisms. The most representative plants of the area are the Espeletias. It was declared a National Park of Colombia in 1977 because of its importance as a biodiversity hotspot and important source of water. The average altitude oscillates between 3500 and 4000 m, and the highest point, Nevado del Sumapaz peak, has 4306 m.
Criteria: Natural
Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumapaz_P%C3%A1ramo
http://www.parquesnacionales.gov.co/portal/es/parques-nacionales/parque-nacional-natural-sumapaz/

Author Jurre
Partaker
#62 | Posted: 23 May 2020 19:56 | Edited by: Jurre 
EDIT: Proposal scrapped because it was already done.

Author Rafabram
Partaker
#63 | Posted: 23 May 2020 20:17 
Jurre
It is part of Chachapoyas sites of Utcubamba valley, this proposal was already approved :)

Author FredericM
Partaker
#64 | Posted: 23 May 2020 20:59 
Assif:
Name: Bonampak
TWHS: formerly

It is actually on Mexico's T list as part of Region Lacan-Tún - Usumacinta.

Do you think only Bonampak is worth being Top Missing or could we extend it to the whole tentative site and make it a mixed proposals?

Author Rafabram
Partaker
#65 | Posted: 24 May 2020 00:45 
Name: Las Pozas, Xilitla
TWHS: yes
Description: Las Pozas ("the Pools") is a surrealistic group of structures created by Edward James, in a subtropical rainforest in the mountains of Mexico. It includes more than 80 acres (32 ha) of natural waterfalls and pools interlaced with towering surrealist sculptures in concrete. This site belongs to a learned surrealist tradition that, decanted and enriched by local popular culture over a set period of time (1944-1985) was and still is today a singular testimony to the collaboration between a patron and a series of Mexican workers, culminating in the edification of a place that is unique in the world.
Criteria: Cultural
Links/Sources: https://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/5493/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Pozas

The UNESCO list has just a few sites depicting 20th art (Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas, UNAM), and they are integrated works of art in an architectural complex. Las Pozas would be the first purely artistic expression of 20th century on the list. It also had positive reviews by members of our community.

Author Assif
Partaker
#66 | Posted: 24 May 2020 03:03 
FredericM:
Do you think only Bonampak is worth being Top Missing or could we extend it to the whole tentative site and make it a mixed proposals?

Interesting. I don't think the natural aspects add anything new. We already have two WHS representing the rainforests of the area.

Author Assif
Partaker
#67 | Posted: 24 May 2020 03:19 | Edited by: Assif 
Rafabram:
Sumapaz National Park

The paramo is a unique ecoregion, so far unrepresented on the list. I will second it.

Jurre:
Full Name of Site: Orinoco River Delta

One of the Earth's largest intact areas of wetlands should be enough to give this one my support.

nfmungard:
Name: The Palafitos of Chiloe

Colombia has a similar TWHS: Cultural Landscape of the Vernacular Stilt Housing of Cienaga Grande de Santa Marta and of Medio Atrato
Maybe worth considering?

Name: Lençóis Maranhenses NP
TWHS: yes (6261)
Description: The park includes 70 km of coastline, and an interior composed of rolling sand dunes. During the rainy season, the valleys among the dunes fill with freshwater lagoons, prevented from draining due to the impermeable rock beneath. They are home to a number of fish and insect species, including the wolf fish, which burrows down into wet layers of mud and remains dormant during the dry season.
Criteria: natural

Name: Anavilhanas NP
TWHS: yes (1120)
Description: The largest fluvial archipelago in the world, it encompasses more than 400 islands that are covered by periodically flooded rainforests. Protected species include margay (Leopardus wiedii), jaguar (Panthera onca), giant anteater (Myrmecophaga tridactyla), giant armadillo (Priodontes maximus), giant otter (Pteronura brasiliensis), Amazonian manatee (Trichechus inunguis) and Amazon river dolphin (Inia geoffrensis).

Name: Gran Chaco
Countries: Bolivia, Argentina, Paraguay
TWHS: no
Description: The Chaco is comprised of several habitats, although savannas, thorn forests, or a transition of these two predominant. Savannah and grassland habitats are characterized by a high abundance of grasses. The Gran Chaco has some of the highest temperatures on the continent. It has high biodiversity, containing around 3,400 plant species, 500 birds, 150 mammals, and 220 reptiles and amphibians. Protected areas include: Kaa-Iya NP (Bolivia), Defensores del Chaco NP (Paraguay) and several NP in Argentina (RN Formosa, PNs Pilcomayo, Baritú, Callilegua, El Rey, and RPs Agua Dulce, Potreros de Yala, El Bagual in the north, RP Los Palmares and RP Copo in the centre and RP Chaco in the south).

Author Jurre
Partaker
#68 | Posted: 24 May 2020 05:12 | Edited by: Jurre 
Assif:
Name: Anavilhanas NP

The Wikipedia article and the Unesco site state it is already part of a WHS: the Central Amazon Conservation Complex.

Author Assif
Partaker
#69 | Posted: 24 May 2020 08:06 
Jurre:
The Wikipedia article and the Unesco site state it is already part of a WHS: the Central Amazon Conservation Complex.

I read that on Wikipedia and thought it was a mistake since it is still on the T list, but indeed you are right.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#70 | Posted: 24 May 2020 08:54 
Assif:
since it is still on the T list

I've seen more mistakes on countries' T-lists these last couple of weeks when looking for Top 50 Missing sites. This isn't the only one.

Author elsslots
Admin
#71 | Posted: 24 May 2020 10:01 
Assif:
Rafabram:
Sumapaz National Park

The paramo is a unique ecoregion, so far unrepresented on the list

I seem to have to throw in Sangay NP again, which OUV is focused on the páramo as well. Sumapaz however is considered the largest.

Author elsslots
Admin
#72 | Posted: 24 May 2020 11:34 | Edited by: elsslots 
I think we cannot overlook:

Name: Panama Canal
TWHS: No
Description: The canal connects the Atlantic Ocean with the Pacific Ocean and this way has simplified maritime trade (cutting 8,000 miles from the trip). Great engineering achievement of the early 20th century. Also interesting for its US geopolitical connotations. They succeeded where earlier the French had failed due to "two factors. First was converting the original French sea-level plan to a more realistic lock-controlled canal. The second was controlling disease which decimated workers and management alike under the original French attempt." (wiki)
Criteria: Cultural

Author Rafabram
Partaker
#73 | Posted: 24 May 2020 16:34 
Assif:
Name: Lençóis Maranhenses NP

I second this one. I can't think of a similar landscape already on the list. Also there's no natural WHS in Latin America depicting dunes ecossystems yet.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#74 | Posted: 24 May 2020 17:56 
Assif:
Jurre:

I read that on Wikipedia and thought it was a mistake since it is still on the T list, but indeed you are right.

It appears in our connection "Already inscribed, still on T List":
https://www.worldheritagesite.org/connection/Already+inscribed%2C+still+on+T+List

Author Colvin
Partaker
#75 | Posted: 25 May 2020 01:35 
elsslots:
I think we cannot overlook:

Name: Panama Canal

I'm surprised we went almost a whole week without anyone proposing this one. I'll second it; this was a very significant feat of engineering, and I believe the original locks still exist, although new locks were constructed this century to handle the larger Panamax vessels.

Page  Page 5 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 - Latin America and the Caribbean [2020]
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑