World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 - Latin America and the Caribbean [2020]

Page  Page 4 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »

Author mrayers
Partaker
#46 | Posted: 21 May 2020 10:43 | Edited by: mrayers 
nfmungard:
Name: Tierra del Fuego National Park and Alberto de Agostini National Park

I have seen this one in person, and it's extremely beautiful. Seconding!

It might be worthwhile to add the Canal Beagle, which forms the southern boundary of the two terrestrial parks, and is a stunning and historic waterway in its own right.

Author elsslots
Admin
#47 | Posted: 21 May 2020 12:24 | Edited by: elsslots 
winterkjm:
Jurre:
Maybe trim it down to Cotacachi Cayapas then?

I am fine either way, I think its useful though when users share potential weaknesses. For now then let's consider this not seconded, but Jurre is suggesting narrowing it down. Perhaps this is support for such a proposal?

Both Cotachi and Cayambe were deprecated in the IUCN report. As it would leave us with a lesser version of an already inscribed WHS with a mediocre 2.64 rating, I cannot see the point of nominating it for a Missing List. (can be convinced with real arguments though)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#48 | Posted: 21 May 2020 13:04 | Edited by: Jurre 
elsslots:
Both Cotachi and Cayambe were deprecated in the IUCN report. As it would leave us with a lesser version of an already inscribed WHS with a mediocre 2.64 rating, I cannot see the point of nominating it for a Missing List. (can be convinced with real arguments though)

I was looking for a representative of the Global 200 ecoregion "Northwestern Andean montane forests". Based on the description of the geographical spread, Sangay didn't seem to fall within that ecoregion.

But of course, I've never visited, so I bow to the expertise of those who have visited or read up on it more.

EDIT:
The IUCN report states that "Cotacachi Cayapas ecological reserve contains similar habitats [to Sangay], but contains specific tropical rainforest rather than Amazonian forest~ therefore the species composition is quite different".

So, I would therefore say that the Cotacachi Cayapas reserve offers something different for the WHL than Sangay. It also represents a different ecoregion.

Author Rafabram
Partaker
#49 | Posted: 21 May 2020 13:58 | Edited by: Rafabram 
Name: Catimbau National Park
TWHS: No
Description: The national park comprises a area of caatinga, a biome of dry vegetation, typical of northeastern Brazil and a UNESCO biosphere reserve (this biome isn't represented on WHS list yet). It also features geological formations of high erosion, with canyons and caverns. It is the second largest archaeological park of Brazil (first one is Serra da Capivara), with 42 archaeological sites, 28 of them with rock paintings, the oldest ones created 6000 years ago.
Criteria: Mixed
Links: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catimbau_National_Park
https://www.fundaj.gov.br/images/stories/cieg/CAPITULOS/parnadocatimbaucieg.pdf

Author Assif
Partaker
#50 | Posted: 21 May 2020 16:14 | Edited by: Assif 
Wow, I have been absent for the last few days and there are already so many great proposals I would like to second:

winterkjm:
Full name of site: Great City of Chicomostoc-La Quemada

I think North Mexico is a big area, the Precolumbian cultures of which are underrepresented.

FredericM:
Full Name of Site: Guano Islands, Islets, and Capes National Reserve System

I would second it not only for its natural assets, but also for the significance of guano trade. Maybe a mixed site?

Jurre:
Pre-Hispanic City of Cantona

This Precolumbian site does stand out for its architectural features.

Rafabram:
Terreiro Casa Branca - Ilê Axé Iyá Nassô Oká

African migration, which accompanied the colonialisation of the Americas, has been present in all American countries. Apart of the small Valongo Wharf no WHS currently represents this important migration.

Jurre:
Santuario de Mamíferos Marinos Bancos de La Plata y Navidad

There are currently no marine sites representing the Caribbean Sea apart of Belize Barrier Reef.

nfmungard:
Name: Colca Canyon

A beautiful landscape I would love to see inscribed.

Jurre:
Full Name of Site: Yasuni National Park

I would favour a mixed nomination. It is not only the biological diversity, but also the anthropological one, which possesses OUV.

Rafabram:
Catimbau National Park

Rock art is underrepresented in the Americas and this one is especially beautiful.

Author Assif
Partaker
#51 | Posted: 21 May 2020 16:19 | Edited by: Assif 
meltwaterfalls:
Site: Estadio Centenario, Montevideo

This site is included in the TWHS Architecture Moderne du XX siècle de la Ville de Montevideo (2010).

Assif:
Name: Xingu Indigenous Park

I would like to elaborate my proposal further. First of all, so far there have been no WHS representing living indigenous cultures of South America, apart from the colonial sites of Chiquitana and Chiloe. Xingu Indigenous Park was the first attempt in the world to create a reserve to protect indigenous cultures through isolation. Moreover, Kuhikugu, assumed to be the legendary City of Z, is the only major archaeological site in the Amazonian rainforest.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#52 | Posted: 21 May 2020 19:44 
Full Name of Site: The Great Pyramid of Cholula
TWHS? No
Short description of site: Cholula was an important city of pre-Columbian Mesoamerica, dating back to at least the 2nd century BCE. The site of Cholula is just west of the modern city of Puebla and served as a trading outpost. Its immense pyramid is the largest such structure in the Americas, the largest prehispanic structure in the world and the largest pyramid structure by volume in the world, including the Egyptian pyramids. It is the result of four successive superpositions, the first two from the Classic period. The Great Pyramid of Cholula is still used because the Spanish built a church atop it, a symbol of the religious conquest of Mexico. That makes it not just the largest pyramid in the world but also the oldest continuously occupied building in North America. In the 20th century, the temple was tunnelled by archaeologists. Four major and nine minor construction stages were revealed. These tunnels remain open to visitors and are stable because of the adobe bricks that were used to build the pyramid.
Criteria: Cultural

Resources: The Great Pyramid of Cholula, Cholula (Mesoamerican site)

Author Assif
Partaker
#53 | Posted: 22 May 2020 16:42 | Edited by: Assif 
Name: Geoglyphs of Acre
TWHS: yes (5999)
Description: This is the second largest concentration of geoglyphs in the world after the Atacama Desert. So far 306 geoglyphs made of 410 earthen structures have been uncovered in the State of Acre. They were erected within the Amazonian rainforest by different indigenous groups between 200 BC and 1300 AD. They were probably used for religious rituals.
Criteria: cultural
Comparative analysis: Nazca

Name: Marcahuamachuco
TWHS: yes (6409)
Description: The site, known as Machu Picchu of the North, is a large archaeological site built out of stone, of approximately 260 hectares. It was built between the years of 400 and 1.200 A.D., and it is the most representative site of a regional culture named "Huamachuco". It was a vast sanctuary which was attended regularly by different communities of the region to honour their dead and to worship their tutelary deities. The architecture of the sanctuary integrates to the landscape and expresses a territorial planning that was preceded by the design and implementation of drainage and soil conditioning systems. Its buildings made of stones are astonishing for its great size, fine architectural finishes, unique patterns and monumentality, and above all because they contrast sharply with the scarce visibility of the architecture that is characteristic of the communities from which the devotees came.
Comparative analysis: Machu Picchu

Name: Ciudad Perdida
TWHS: yes (147)
Description: Ciudad Perdida (Spanish for "Lost City") is the archaeological site of an ancient city in Colombia's Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta. It is believed to have been founded about 800 CE. It consists of a series of 169 terraces carved into the mountainside, a net of tiled roads and several small circular plazas. The entrance can only be accessed by a climb up some 1,200 stone steps through dense jungle.
Comparative analysis: Kuelap

Name: Túcume
TWHS: yes (6419)
Description: Both components are remains of the Lambayeque culture and were in use between the 7th and 15th century. During the last 200 years of its occupation it was used first by the Chimu and then by the Inca. The site served as a regional centre with more than 20 mud brick pyramids, which are an architectural type unknown in South America.

Name: Guayabo de Turrialba
TWHS: formerly
Description: It is the largest archaeological site of the Intermediate Zone (between the Andean and Mesoamerican spheres of influence) outside Colombia. It served as a centre of a local culture and was occupied between 1000 BC and 1400. The site encompasses 232 hectares from which only a small portion has been excavated. It features mounds, stairways, causeways, open and closed aqueducts, water storage tanks, tombs, petroglyphs, monoliths and sculptures

Name: Queulat NP
TWHS: no
Description: The national park in the Patagonian Andes is of exceptional natural beauty. The park comprises two small ice fields, with glaciers of up to 12 km (7 mi) long. The largest glaciated area is Queulat ice cap, which encompasses about 80 km2 (31 sq mi) and contains the park's centerpiece, the Queulat Hanging Glacier.
Criteria: natural
Comparative analysis: Los Glaciares

Name: Temperate forests of Araucania
TWHS: no
Description: This nomination would include at least Conguillio NP within Araucarias Biosphere Reserve as well as Nahuebuta NP. Both feature temperate rainforests with numerous Araucaria (Monkey Puzzle) trees, some of which are 2000 years old. Such forests have been cited by IUCN as an important gap.
Criteria: natural

Author FredericM
Partaker
#54 | Posted: 22 May 2020 17:11 
nfmungard:
Name: Chiloe National Park

Assif:
Name: Temperate forests of Araucania

You convinced me to support these two Chilean sites.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#55 | Posted: 22 May 2020 18:00 
Full Name of Site: Orinoco River Delta
TWHS? No
Short description of site: The Orinoco River Delta represents the Global 200 ecoregion "Orinoco Delta swamp forests" and the Global 200 Freshwater ecoregion and the Global Priority Place "Orinoco River and flooded forests". The vegetation is mostly permanently flooded rainforest. The ecoregion is relatively intact apart from a large area that was damaged by a failed flood control program in the 1960s. The Orinoco Delta swamp forests in the lower delta plain of the Orinoco River are one of Earth's largest intact areas of wetlands. Two national parks would fall within the protected area: Turuépano National Park and Mariusa National Park. (1) Turuépano National Park is composed of deltaic plains with marine influence, unique in the country, characterized by mangrove swamps, canals and channels, being the main inhabitant of these places the manatee. (2) Mariusa National Park is located in the middle of the Orinoco River Delta, where the river meets the Atlantic Ocean. The most prominent features of this area are the jungle, with a unique fauna on the planet, and tides that extend through the delta channels.
Criteria: Natural

Resources: Orinoco Delta swamp forests, Turuépano National Park, Mariusa National Park

Author Jurre
Partaker
#56 | Posted: 23 May 2020 09:04 | Edited by: Jurre 
Assif:
Geoglyphs of Acre

Pre-colonial geoglyphs that are "exceptional for the understanding of indigenous cultural contact to the wide geographic ranges in the rainforest". They "represent an unprecedented technological innovation by indigenous peoples in the pre-colonial period, as only in the Amazon such earthen structures were built in a tropical forest area by peoples who did not use metal tools."

It seems they are important to understand the level of technology of the indigenous people, many of which were not thought able to construct these types of structures.

I second this proposal.

Author Assif
Partaker
#57 | Posted: 23 May 2020 16:56 | Edited by: Assif 
Name: Bonampak
TWHS: yes (1962)
Description: Bonampak is known for Temple of the Murals (also known as Structure 1). It was completed in 791 and is made of three rooms which contain murals that narrate the events surrounding the accession to the throne by Chooj, son of Bonampak ruler Yajaw Chaan Muwan, and grandson of Aj Sak Teles. This temple is probably the most extensive example of Precolumbian painting anywhere in the Americas and is very well preserved.

Name: Atacama
TWHS: partially (1191)
Description: Atacama is a desert on the Pacific Coast west of the Andes. It is the driest non-polar desert in the world. In spite of the geographic and climatic conditions of the desert, a rich variety of flora has evolved there. Over 500 species have been gathered within the border of this desert. These species are characterized by their extraordinary ability to adapt to this extreme environment.
The Atacama was home to the Chinchorros (5000BC-1700BC) who inhabited the north. They were the first culture to master mummification of the dead. Further to the south the Kunza culture evolved and built such towns as Tulor at about 2800BC. Atacama has a concentration of more than 500 geoglyphs, probably the largest of its type worldwide.
Criteria: mixed

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#58 | Posted: 23 May 2020 18:02 
Assif:
This site is included in the TWHS Architecture Moderne du XX siècle de la Ville de Montevideo (2010).

oh thanks, I hadn't realised that.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#59 | Posted: 23 May 2020 18:07 
Assif:
Name: Atacama

I thought we already had this, but no.

Deserts are underrepresented on the WHL, and this is an iconic one, with both important natural and cultural heritage. I second this.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#60 | Posted: 23 May 2020 18:08 
Assif:
Name: Bonampak

Also a second because of the murals that are "among the best-preserved Maya murals" according to Wikipedia.

Page  Page 4 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 - Latin America and the Caribbean [2020]
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑