World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 - Latin America and the Caribbean [2020]

Page  Page 3 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#31 | Posted: 21 May 2020 02:50 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Summary of approved proposals.

Bolivia 2
- Lake Titicaca
- Salar de Uyuni
Brazil 2
- Transborder Amazonian Park: Parc amazonien de Guyane and Tumucumaque Mountains National Park
- Sierra del Divisor National Park
Chile 2
- Torres del Paine and Bernardo O'Higgins National Parks
- Juan Fernández Archipelago National Park
Costa Rica 1
- Caribbean lowland forests and wetlands of Costa Rica and Nicaragua
Guyana 1
- Kaieteur National Park
Mexico 3
- Ring of cenotes of Chicxulub Crater, Yucatan
- Cave of the Crystals
- Santa Elena Canyon & Big Bend International Peace Park
Nicaragua 1
- Caribbean lowland forests and wetlands of Costa Rica and Nicaragua
Peru 5
- Sierra del Divisor National Park
- Chachapoyas sites of the Utcubamba Valley
- Huaca de la Luna and Huaca del Sol
- Valle Sagrado de los Incas / Sacred Valley
- Lake Titicaca

Proposed Sites (not seconded)

Xingu Indigenous Park (Brazil)
Terreiro Casa Branca - Ilê Axé Iyá Nassô Oká (Brazil)
Semuc Champey (Guatemala)
Great City of Chicomostoc-La Quemada (Mexico)
Pre-Hispanic City of Cantona (Mexico)
Manila-Acapulco Galleon Trade Route (1565-1815) (Transnational)
Parícutin (Mexico)
Guano Islands, Islets, and Capes National Reserve System (Peru)

Author elsslots
Admin
#32 | Posted: 21 May 2020 04:18 
Jurre:
Full Name of Site: Ecological reserves of the Cotacachi and Cayambe volcanoes
TWHS? No
Short description of site: The sites would encompass two ecological reserves, centered around two volcanoes in the Andes: Cotacachi Cayapas Ecological Reserve and Cayambe Coca Ecological Reserve.

This site is very similar to the already inscribed Sangay NP WHS, and it was deemed of a lesser quality in the IUCN evaluation: "Cayambe-Coca ecological reserve includes many of the same ecosystems, but does not house nearly as many species of plants and animals and has been disturbed
by man~ Coto Paxi National Park covers only volcanic and peramo areas, thereby protecting many fewer species"

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#33 | Posted: 21 May 2020 04:39 | Edited by: nfmungard 
Site: Reserva Nacional de Fauna Andina Eduardo Avaroa
TWHS: No.
Criteria: Natural
Description: The national park ranges from 3.5000 to 5.000m altitude. Great parts of the park are desert. The area is full of geysirs, hotsprings and volcanoes. drawing comparisons to Yellowstone. Most notable are the colored mountain slopes and lakes (Laguna Verde, Laguna Colorada, Laguna Salada, Laguna Busch and Laguna Hedionda). The color is due to oxidation of metals and microorganisms. The area is mostly arid, but supports rare species, especially flamingos. There are also limited flora to be found (Stipa ichu).
OUV: Yellowstone.

Note: I opted from separating this from Atacama desert as the focus here is on high altitude desert while the Atacama seems to spam many more altitude zones. I also feel this is separate from Salar de Uyuni.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#34 | Posted: 21 May 2020 05:51 
elsslots:
This site is very similar to the already inscribed Sangay NP WHS, and it was deemed of a lesser quality in the IUCN evaluation: "Cayambe-Coca ecological reserve includes many of the same ecosystems, but does not house nearly as many species of plants and animals and has been disturbed
by man~ Coto Paxi National Park covers only volcanic and peramo areas, thereby protecting many fewer species"

Maybe trim it down to Cotacachi Cayapas then?

Author Jurre
Partaker
#35 | Posted: 21 May 2020 06:34 | Edited by: Jurre 
Full Name of Site: Massif de la Hotte
TWHS? No
Short description of site: The site would encompass several National Parks: Pic Macaya National Park, Grande Colline National Park, Grand Bois National Park and Deux Mamelles National Park. The Massif de la Hotte is a mountain range in southwestern Haiti, on the far-western end of the Tiburon Peninsula. The mountains of the Massif de la Hotte are mainly karstic and volcanic. The region is relatively remote and is one of the most biologically diverse and significant areas of all of Hispaniola. It also supports some of the last stands of Haiti's dense cloud forest on its peaks. About 2.5 million years ago, the Massif de la Hotte was separated from the rest of the country by a deep, wide sea channel, which resulted in a hotbed of endemism in its bird, plant, and reptile communities. Conservation International recognizes the region as one of the most conservation-urgent in the world in which 13 of Hispaniola's most critically endangered species (all amphibians) occur. The Pic Macaya National Park features endangered plant and animal life. There are 220 species of birds present in the park, 141 species of orchids, and 367 flowering plants. Six species of frogs, believed to be extinct, have been seen the region in the past several years. Over 6,500 species of plants live at Pic Macaya. The site is a representant of the "Hispaniolan moist forests", within the "Greater Antillean moist forests" Global 200 ecoregion.

Resources: Wikipedia: Massif de la Hotte, Pic Macaya National Park, Grande Colline National Park, Grand Bois National Park, Deux Mamelles National Park

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#36 | Posted: 21 May 2020 06:41 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
Interesting that outside Peru we don't have any cultural sites so far.

Just to quickly propose some, though I will admit Latin America is much more of a blank spot than I thought it would be in my knowledge, and the Caribbean even more so.

---------------
Site: Fordlândia
TWHS: No
Criteria: Cultural
Description: Established by Henry Ford in the Amazon Rainforest in 1928 as a prefabricated industrial town intended to be inhabited by 10,000 people to secure a source of cultivated rubber for the automobile manufacturing operations of the Ford Motor Company in the United States. A business failure the town was abandoned by the Ford Company in 1934, and has mostly been in a semi abandoned state since
OUV comaprison: Sewell Mining Town, Fray Bentos

----------
Site: Teatro Amazonas, Manaus (Opera House) (perhaps with Teatro de Paz in Belem)
TWHS: Yes (5996)
Description: A Belle Époque Opera House in the middle of the Amazon Rainforest. Flush with money from exports from its rubber plantations, the region flourished–particularly the capital city of Manaus. Here wealthy rubber barons tried to recreate the lavish lifestyle of the European elite, and what better way to do so then with an opera house, built in the middle of the rain forest: the Teatro Amazonas.
OUV comaprison: Bayreuth, Sydney Opera House

----------
I'm honestly not trying to propose every stadium in the world, but this one stood out, the alternative is the Maracana in Rio

Site: Estadio Centenario, Montevideo
Description: The stadium was built between 1929 and 1930 to host the inaugural 1930 FIFA World Cup, as well as to commemorate the centennial of Uruguay's first constitution. It is listed by FIFA as the first historical monument of World Football, the only building of its kind worldwide.
It is mostly in the same condition as it was when built, especially the iconic Art Deco Tower of Tributes.
OUV comaprison: Olympic Stadium Munich, Architecture of Archibald Leitch

Author Jurre
Partaker
#37 | Posted: 21 May 2020 07:22 
Full Name of Site: Santuario de Mamíferos Marinos Bancos de La Plata y Navidad
TWHS? Yes
Short description of site: The protected area is the first sanctuary of marine mammals in the Atlantic Ocean. It is one of the few coastal-marine protected areas of the insular Caribbean where the ecological and biological processes associated with the ecosystems it harbors, are kept in perfect conditions. The Sanctuary protects the habitat of the largest population of humpback whales that arrives from the North Atlantic each year to the warm waters of the Caribbean Region in winter. The protected area has other conservation objects in the natural field such as coral reefs and mangroves, with high value for conservation and local economic development. These ecosystems are fundamental for the sustainability of the populations of fish and crustaceans and therefore for the survival of the marine mammals that inhabit this coastal marine area. The Navidad Bank and Silver Bank have a wealth of corals and are a safe haven for marine mammals, including the humpback whale. The humpback whales have long used the Banks as a breeding and calving ground. The Sanctuary is considered a critical habitat for the survival of the humpback whale, even more so when predictions about global climate change will increase and there will be important impacts on biodiversity.

Resources: Santuario de Mamíferos Marinos Bancos de La Plata y Navidad, Navidad Bank, Silver Bank

Author Zos
Partaker
#38 | Posted: 21 May 2020 07:23 
winterkjm:
Zos:
Manila - Acapulco Galleon Trade Route (1565 - 1815)

I don't know if I would second this, but I just want to say thanks for all the research. For the first time (this proposal has been mentioned in the past), this seems like a real potential candidate. Maybe not for Top Missing, but I would like to see it inscribed one day.

I am actually the one seconding this nomination. It was proposed by bojboj in AP section but without identified components. I got intrigued with his proposal, so I decided to dig deeper. Growing up on PH, galleon history is mentioned but only focused on Manila. I grew up in an island where the first large scale galleon shipyard is located. There is nothing tangible left there. The strength of this nomination is on underwater cultural heritage. Mexico and the pacific sites or even US areas might have additional good components, which I was not able to read online as I dont speak spanish.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#39 | Posted: 21 May 2020 07:38 
nfmungard:
Site: Reserva Nacional de Fauna Andina Eduardo Avaroa

A stunning looking site that is a Ramsar Wetland of International Importance. I second this.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#40 | Posted: 21 May 2020 07:51 
Full Name of Site: Parque Arqueológico do Solstício
TWHS? No
Short description of site: The site contains a megalithic stone circle, colloquially known as the Amazon Stonehenge, consisting of 127 blocks of granite, each up to 4 meters tall, standing upright in a circle measuring over 30 meters in diameter at the bank of the Rego Grande river on a hilltop. Archaeologists believe that this site was built by indigenous peoples for astronomical, ceremonial, or burial purposes, and likely a combination. The function of this megalithic site is unknown, much like other sites such as Stonehenge, a much older site in Great Britain. Though the stones have not been submitted to dating techniques, carbon-dating of pottery sherds has placed the site at 500 – 2000 years old. There are also several other megalithic sites in Brazil that follow the curves of the Rego Grande river. The fact that these Megalithic sites seem to follow such a pattern suggests that Amazon Stonehenge may have been used as either a ceremonial site and that its structure and cultural significance were shared amount different indigenous communities in pre-Columbian Brazil.

Resources: Parque Arqueológico do Solstício

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#41 | Posted: 21 May 2020 08:37 
meltwaterfalls:
Site: Fordlândia
Site: Teatro Amazonas, Manaus (Opera House) (perhaps with Teatro de Paz in Belem)
Site: Estadio Centenario, Montevideo

2/3 I mentioned on the whiteboard; so seconded. The stadium I second, too.

Name: Colca Canyon
Criteria: Mixed
Description: Preemptively, the deepest canyon of the world, Colcha Canyon is renown for being the home of the Andean Condor. The native population still follow traditional farming techniques including terrace farms. Archaeological remains go back 7000 years. The oldest remains are caves (Mollepunko Caves) with rockart depicting local animals and farming. There also Incan and Barroco Andino buildings.
OUV: Sacred Valley.

Name: Chiloe National Park
Description: Chiloe is a world apart from main land Chile. 3000mm of rain fall yearly on the island. The National Park is a Valdivian temperate rain forest and is mostly situated on the western side of the island. The park is home to many native species, blue whales, pengiuns, sea lions, pudu (small deer) and the chiloe fox. The landscape covers sand dunes, peat bogs, swamps and rainforest.

Name: The Palafitos of Chiloe
Description: The iconic image of Chiloe are the Palafitos, stilt houses built on the shore and into the sea. Several large colorful neighborhoods exist. This building form in Chiloe dates back to the 19th century.
Note: The Palafitos will not become a WHS in the short term. All of them were built without permission and are illegal. In addition, the authenticity is limited as these buildings are subject to tsunamis and have been destroyed in the past.

Name: Tierra del Fuego National Park and Alberto de Agostini National Park
Description: Most southern sub-antartic rain forest including glaciers, lakes and mountains with unqiue fauna and flora.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#42 | Posted: 21 May 2020 09:16 
Jurre:
Maybe trim it down to Cotacachi Cayapas then?

I am fine either way, I think its useful though when users share potential weaknesses. For now then let's consider this not seconded, but Jurre is suggesting narrowing it down. Perhaps this is support for such a proposal?

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#43 | Posted: 21 May 2020 09:36 
meltwaterfalls:
Fordlândia

meltwaterfalls:
Teatro Amazonas, Manaus (Opera House)

Your proposals are always interesting! I would support both of these. Fordlandia is a prime example of American Imperialism in Latin America. The Teatro Amazonas is really stunning, this picture really impressed me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Theatre#/media/File:01_-_teatro_Amazonas.jpg

Author Jurre
Partaker
#44 | Posted: 21 May 2020 10:01 
Full Name of Site: Yasuni National Park
TWHS? No
Short description of site: Yasuni National Park lies within the Napo moist forests ecoregion and is primarily rain forest. It is within the claimed ancestral territory of the Huaorani indigenous people. Yasuni is also home to two uncontacted indigenous tribes, the Tagaeri and the Taromenane. Yasuni is arguably the most biologically diverse spot on Earth and a convergence point for three unique regions, the Equator, Andes Mountains, and the Amazon rainforest. The park is at the center of a small zone where amphibian, bird, mammal, and vascular plant diversity all reach their maximum levels within the western hemisphere. Moreover, the park breaks world records for local-scale (less than 100 km2) tree, amphibian, and bat species richness, and is one of the richest spots in the world for birds and mammals at local scales as well. The park also harbors a lot of amphibian diversity compared to other sites sampled in the western Amazon. The park also boasts one of the world's richest levels of vascular plants. It is one of nine places in the world that has over 4,000 vascular plant species per 10,000 km2. The park contains many species of trees and shrubs and holds at least four world records for documented tree and liana richness as well as three world records for diversity in woody plant species.

Resources: Yasuni National Park

Author Jurre
Partaker
#45 | Posted: 21 May 2020 10:05 | Edited by: Jurre 
winterkjm:
I am fine either way, I think its useful though when users share potential weaknesses. For now then let's consider this not seconded, but Jurre is suggesting narrowing it down. Perhaps this is support for such a proposal?

I'm fine with trimming it down, as I think Cotacachi Cayapas seems worthy of the List (on paper, that is, as I've never been to South America). So, in case it is no longer seconded, this is the proposal for Cotacachi Cayapas only.

I'm sorry for doing this here, but the Whiteboard seems to gain little traction for South America.

Full Name of Site: Ecological reserve Cotacachi Cayapas
TWHS? No
Short description of site: The Cotacachi Cayapas Ecological Reserve is centered around the Cotachi volcano. It represents the Global 200 ecoregion "Northwestern Andean montane forests", where both flora and fauna are highly diverse due to effect of ice ages when the warmer climate zones were separated and the cooler ones combined, and interglacial periods when the reverse occurred. Cotacachi Cayapas Ecological Reserve is partly rainforest. This region has not been extensively farmed and replanted with eucalyptus or pine trees, as so much of the interandean highlands have been, so the preservation of the plant species here is a very important effort. The reserve is particularly important because it safeguards one of the few remaining examples of Ecuador's coastal rainforest, a much threatened ecosystem. There is a large selection of fauna located within the nature reserve. 500 species of bird along with anteaters, sloths, ocelots, culpeos, and deer are commonly found in the park. Due to lakes and rivers of the park, many aquatic and amphibious animals are found there.

Resources: Wikipedia: Northwestern Andean montane forests, Cotacachi Cayapas Ecological Reserve

Page  Page 3 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 - Latin America and the Caribbean [2020]
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑