World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 - Latin America and the Caribbean [2020]

Page  Page 2 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »

Author Colvin
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 18 May 2020 20:07 
FredericM:
Full Name of Site: Kaieteur National Park

You beat me to this one. There is some background about this nomination on the Wikipedia page for Guyana, but long story short, Guyana is considering a larger nomination incorporating Kaieteur, the Iwokrama Forest, and the Karuku Mountains. I would recommend expanding this nomination to include these sites as well.

I'll second the Mexican Ring of Cenotes, based on the unique geology from the meteorite that struck the area and the karst topography. This is a Tentative Site high on my list to visit.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 19 May 2020 00:11 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Full Name of Site: Santa Elena Canyon & Big Bend International Peace Park
TWHS? Yes (partially)
Short description of site: A transnational series of connected keystone reserves to protect the Chihuahuan Desert and Rio Grande. As the largest protected portion of the Chihuahuan Desert in the United States and Mexico, the interconnected parks preserve vast desert landscapes, mountain ranges, desert springs, and riparian ecosystems along the Rio Grande. The protected area is within the area known as the Chihuahuan desert ecosystem, which highlights a number of mountain ranges separated by valleys and undulating plains. It has great diversity of vegetation types because of the large differences in altitude, from 700–2400 meters above sea level. This reserve (Santa Elena) was created with the aim of having a protected area that represented the ecological area known as Chihuahuan desert, where counterpart of protected areas border of state of Texas, being able to extend the protection of ecosystems and conducting joint actions in ecological matters. Big Bend preserves multiple paleo-environments, including marine, coastal, inland floodplain, volcanic upland, and ice age savannah. The Cretaceous-Paleogene boundary beds preserved in the park are peerless. They are the only known non-marine deposits in the world that are in relatively close proximity to the asteroid impact site that triggered extinction of some three-quarters of species on Earth. The Mexican protected areas encompass more than 800,000 hectares, and Big Bend park managers collaborate with Mexican managers on resource issues. The river corridor is also a protected area, designated and managed as the Rio Grande Wild and Scenic River on the U.S. side of the border and Monumento Natural Rio Bravo Del Norte on the Mexican side.
Criteria: Natural
Outstanding universal value / comparative analysis: Dinosaur Provincial Park (Canada), Grand Canyon National Park (USA)
Resources: Santa Elena Canyon (Wikipedia), Big Bend National Park (Wikipedia), Mexico-United States International Park (Wikipedia)

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#18 | Posted: 19 May 2020 00:12 
FredericM:
Ring of cenotes of Chicxulub Crater,

FredericM:
Kaieteur National Park

FredericM:
Cave of the Crystals

Seconded

Author mrayers
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 19 May 2020 04:52 
nfmungard:
Full Name of Site: Lake Titicaca

Happily seconding this one.

Author FredericM
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 19 May 2020 16:04 
Colvin:
I would recommend expanding this nomination to include these sites as well.

It makes sens to agree with this.

winterkjm:
Full Name of Site: Santa Elena Canyon & Big Bend International Peace Park

I second this proposal.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#21 | Posted: 19 May 2020 17:51 | Edited by: Jurre 
Full Name of Site: Caribbean lowland forests and wetlands of Costa Rica and Nicaragua
TWHS? No
Short description of site: The Caribbean lowland forests and wetlands would comprise several protected areas: Indio Maíz Biological Reserve in Nicaragua and Barra del Colorado Wildlife Refuge and Tortuguero National Park in Costa Rica. They form a corridor of natural wetland of the Caribbean coast.
- Indio Maíz Biological Reserve is one of the largest protected lowland forest system in Central America. It is rich in biodiversity, holding a higher number in species of trees, birds, and insects than all of Europe. It boasts a large number in species of both flora and fauna and is home to 65 species of mammals, 221 species of birds, 55 species of reptiles, 34 species of amphibians and 149 recorded insect species.
- Barra del Colorado Wildlife Refuge is the second largest rain forest preserve in Costa Rica and protects areas that contain hot humid forests, mangroves, canals and marine areas. It is the habitat of the endangered West Indian manatee as well as many caymans, crocodiles, and fish. It is also home to a variety of tapirs, jaguars, cougars, monkeys, ocelots, and other mammals.
- Tortuguero National Park has a large variety of biological diversity due to the existence within the reserve of eleven different habitats, including rainforest, mangrove forests, swamps, beaches, and lagoons. The park is a key Ramsar Site for its rich biological diversity and ecosystems that support threatened flora and fauna species. The Tortuguero National Park has over 20 miles of coastline, which provides sea turtles a protected place to lay their eggs.

Resources: Wikipedia articles

Author Jurre
Partaker
#22 | Posted: 19 May 2020 19:42 
Full Name of Site: Pre-Hispanic City of Cantona
TWHS? Yes
Short description of site: Cantona is a Mesoamerican archaeological site in Mexico. At its peak, Cantona was a walled, fortified city with a high level of urbanization. Its original inhabitants are unknown, but it is speculated that it was founded by Olmec-Xicalanca groups towards the late Classical Period. Cantona sat astride an old trading route between the Gulf Coast and the Central Highlands and was a prominent, if isolated, Mesoamerican city between 600 and 1000 CE. The site comprises a road network with over 500 cobblestone causeways, more than 3,000 individual patios, residences, 24 ball courts and an elaborate acropolis with multiple ceremonial buildings and temples. The acropolis was used for the ruling elite and priests, and was where the temples of the most important deities where located. Due to some of its features, Cantona is unique in its kind. For example, no mortar or cement was used in its buildings, and it has a sophisticated road network, in which streets were laid out over or carved out of the volcanic rock.
Criteria: Cultural

Resources: Wikipedia, Unesco

Author FredericM
Partaker
#23 | Posted: 19 May 2020 21:22 
Full Name of Site: Parícutin
TWHS? No
Short description of site: Parícutin is a cinder cone volcano located in the Mexican state of Michoacán. The volcano surged suddenly from the cornfield of local farmer Dionisio Pulido in 1943, attracting both popular and scientific attention. Paricutín presented the first occasion for modern science to document the full life cycle of an eruption of this type. During the volcano's nine years of activity, scientists sketched and mapped it and took thousands of samples and photographs. By 1952, the eruption had left a 424-meter-high (1,391 ft) cone and significantly damaged an area of more than 233 square kilometers (90 sq mi) with the ejection of stone, volcanic ash and lava. Three people were killed, two towns were completely evacuated and buried by lava, and three others were heavily affected. Hundreds of people had to be permanently relocated, and two new towns were created to accommodate their migration. Although the larger region still remains highly active volcanically, Parícutin is now dormant and has become a tourist attraction, with people climbing the volcano and visiting the hardened lava-covered ruins of the San Juan Parangaricutiro Church. In 1997, CNN included Parícutin in its list of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World. [Wikipedia]
Criteria: Natural (or maybe even mixed if you twist it in some kind of volcano adapted cultural landscape with the ruined and new cities)

Author clyde
Partaker
#24 | Posted: 20 May 2020 02:47 
I second Salar de Uyuni

Author clyde
Partaker
#25 | Posted: 20 May 2020 02:56 
I propose this natural site in Guatemala:

Semuc Champey: this natural monument boasts six stunning tiered turquoise pools, an extensive cave network complete with underground waterfalls, and breathtaking views. The shockingly blue pools rest on top of a natural limestone bridge covering a portion of the Cahabón River.

Author Rafabram
Partaker
#26 | Posted: 20 May 2020 03:48 | Edited by: Rafabram 
Name: Terreiro Casa Branca - Ilê Axé Iyá Nassô Oká
TWHS: No
Description: Terreiro is the sacred place of worship of Candomblé, a religion originated in Brazil by afro-brazilian communities, based on traditional african religions brought by enslaved people of West and Central Africa. Terreiro Casa Branca, or Ilê Axé Iyá Nassô Oká, was founded in 19th century and is considered the oldest terreiro still in activity in Brazil. It is located in Salvador city, and contains religious structures, houses of members of the community, trees associated with rituals, sacred objects and open spaces.
Criteria: Cultural
Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Il%C3%AA_Ax%C3%A9_Iy%C3%A1_Nass%C3%B4_Ok%C3%A1

I think this site would fill a big gap of underrepresented sites, associated with african-american culture and the cultural legacy of enslaved people brought to South America, or America as whole. I think it is not represented at all, but I may be wrong. I don't count Valongo wharf as a site like that, to me it is part of african-american history, but in fact it's representing the colonizer culture.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#27 | Posted: 20 May 2020 05:23 | Edited by: Jurre 
Colvin:
Full Name of Site: Juan Fernández Archipelago National Park

Part of the ecoregion "Valdivian temperate rain forests - Juan Fernández Islands". It has a high percentage of rare and endemic plants and animals, and is recognized as a distinct ecoregion.

I second this proposal.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#28 | Posted: 20 May 2020 17:18 | Edited by: Jurre 
Full Name of Site: Ecological reserves of the Cotacachi and Cayambe volcanoes
TWHS? No
Short description of site: The sites would encompass two ecological reserves, centered around two volcanoes in the Andes: Cotacachi Cayapas Ecological Reserve and Cayambe Coca Ecological Reserve. Both reserves represent the Global 200 ecoregion "Northwestern Andean montane forests", where both flora and fauna are highly diverse due to effect of ice ages when the warmer climate zones were separated and the cooler ones combined, and interglacial periods when the reverse occurred. (1) Cotacachi Cayapas Ecological Reserve is partly rainforest. This region has not been extensively farmed and replanted with eucalyptus or pine trees, as so much of the interandean highlands have been, so the preservation of the plant species here is a very important effort. The reserve is particularly important because it safeguards one of the few remaining examples of Ecuador's coastal rainforest, a much threatened ecosystem. There is a large selection of fauna located within the nature reserve. 500 species of bird along with anteaters, sloths, ocelots, culpeos, and deer are commonly found in the park. Due to lakes and rivers of the park, many aquatic and amphibious animals are found there. (2) Cayambe Coca Ecological Reserve is centered around the snow-topped Cayambe volcano. Local habitat types include the grasslands of the páramo and montane cloud forests. The park is home to large birds such as the Andean condor and variable hawk. There are 106 species of mammals, including the mountain tapir, cougar and culpeo.

Resources: Wikipedia: Northwestern Andean montane forests, Cotacachi Cayapas Ecological Reserve and Cayambe Coca Ecological Reserve

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#29 | Posted: 21 May 2020 02:35 
"an internationally recognised bio-region which extends from Southern Panama to northern Peru and has been rated as a global biodiversity hotspot."

Ecological reserves of the Cotacachi and Cayambe volcanoes - I second this proposal.

FredericM:
Parícutin

Undoubtedly a fascinating story, but what is the global significance? It seems like a site of tourist interest for burying churches, but is it protected at any national level? It seems to have only been studied by scientists during the 9 years of volcanic activity. I would lean toward not adding more volcanic sites, unless its part of a much larger proposal as a contributing factor of OUV or a site that is the representative example that has unquestioned OUV.

"Indio Maíz is rich in biodiversity, holding a higher number in species of trees, birds, and insects than all of Europe."

Caribbean lowland forests and wetlands of Costa Rica and Nicaragua - I second this proposal.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#30 | Posted: 21 May 2020 02:39 
Zos:
Manila - Acapulco Galleon Trade Route (1565 - 1815)

I don't know if I would second this, but I just want to say thanks for all the research. For the first time (this proposal has been mentioned in the past), this seems like a real potential candidate. Maybe not for Top Missing, but I would like to see it inscribed one day.

Page  Page 2 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 - Latin America and the Caribbean [2020]
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑