World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 - Latin America and the Caribbean [2020]

Page  Page 10 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10

Author Jurre
Partaker
#136 | Posted: 30 May 2020 17:35 
vantcj1:
Full Name of Site: Pico da Neblina National Park-Serranía de la Neblina National Park, the Yanomami heartland

I second this for the biodiversity and the indigenous cultures.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#137 | Posted: 30 May 2020 20:31 | Edited by: winterkjm 
vantcj1:
Did anyone propose anything connected to The Cuenca Mirador (Guetemaula)?

If someone works a proposal, I would second it, the site with the highest pyramid in the world, with other related sites, a lot of discoveries to make and surrounded by the hugely biodiversity-rich "Reserva de la Biosfera Maya" definitely belongs here. Even when there are many Mayan sites in the list, I deem it important to consider outstanding sites.

Full Name of Site: The Cuenca Mirador
TWHS? YES
Short description of site: During the past two decades, the region has been the object of archaeological investigations at the large Middle and Late Preclassic sites of El Mirador, Nakbe, El Tintal, Wakna, the recently discovered sites of Xulnal and El Pesquero. The La Danta temple measures approximately 72 metres (236 ft) tall from the forest floor, and considering its total volume (2,800,000 cubic meters) is one of the largest pyramids in the world. When the large man-made platform that the temple is built upon (some 180,000 square meters) is included in calculations, La Danta is considered by some archeologists to be one of the most massive ancient structures in the world. Since 2003, California-based non-profit organization Global Heritage Fund (GHF) has been working to preserve and protect Mirador. In an October 2010 report titled Saving Our Vanishing Heritage, GHF listed Mirador as one of 12 worldwide heritage sites most "On the Verge" of irreparable loss and destruction, citing deforestation, fires, major logging, poaching, looting, and narcotics trafficking as major threats to the region.
Criteria: Cultural
Resources: El Mirador (wikipedia)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#138 | Posted: 30 May 2020 20:47 
Full Name of Site: Oxtotitlán and Juxtlahuaca caves
TWHS? No
Short description of site: Oxtotitlán and Juxtlahuaca are both caves and archaeological sites in the Mexican state of Guerrero containing murals linked to the Olmec motifs and iconography. They contain the earliest sophisticated painted art known in Mesoamerica. Juxtlahuaca is the only known example of non-Maya deep cave art in Mesoamerica. The Oxtotitlán paintings however are not deep in a cave system but rather occupy two shallow grottos on a cliff face. The paintings have been variously dated to perhaps 900 years BCE. It is not known what group or society painted them. It is also not known how Olmec-influenced art came to be painted hundreds of kilometers (or miles) from the Olmec heartland.
Criteria: Cultural

Resources: Oxtotitlán, Juxtlahuaca

Author Jurre
Partaker
#139 | Posted: 31 May 2020 06:10 
winterkjm:
Full Name of Site: The Cuenca Mirador

I will second this because it is an important archaeological site and deserves to be protected, even if there already is a WHS like Tikal is in the region.

Author elsslots
Admin
#140 | Posted: 31 May 2020 13:19 
Shall I close the topic? It is May 31.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#141 | Posted: 31 May 2020 13:58 
Sure, what are your thoughts Els about the paths forward discussed in the TOP 50 MISSING - 2020 VERSION thread? I think next steps are somewhat uncertain. There are a handful of ideas/suggestions, but nothing agreed upon.

Page  Page 10 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 - Latin America and the Caribbean [2020]
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑