World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 Missing - 2020 version - Whiteboard

Page  Page 7 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next »

Author Colvin
Partaker
#91 | Posted: 9 May 2020 14:45 | Edited by: Colvin 
Assif:
The London Tube as the first underground system worldwide is worth considering.

I just commented on some of your UK proposals in the other thread, Assif. The London Tube is an interesting suggestion. It was the pioneer for underground railways, and as far as design goes, the London Underground tube map revolutionized subway map design (though I don't think that would be something eligible for inscription). What would you think should be inscribed to represent the Underground -- the original Metropolitan Railway line or some of the early network?

kkanekahn:
I would second this (Konya) if you propose this in top missing.

Looks like I have some work to do throwing together some proposals this afternoon.

Author FredericM
Partaker
#92 | Posted: 9 May 2020 15:12 | Edited by: FredericM 
Colvin:
Perhaps FredericM has insight as to whether Mennonite culture is important in Canada.

Haven't heard of it before this morning, so probably not that much.

nfmungard:
going through them state by state

I tried to compile everything that was mentionned here and come up with new ideas. I don't necessarily support everything here though, but those seem among the most promising.

Newfoundland and Labrador
Inscribed: Gros Morne National Park, L'Anse aux Meadows, Mistaken Point, Red Bay Basque Whaling Station
Tentative: None
Top 50 Missing: The Transatlantic Telegraph Route: Valentia Island to Heart's Content (Proposed but not in the spreadsheet), Torngat Mountains and Kuururjuaq National Parks (Suggested on whiteboard)
Other ideas: Moravian missions in Labrador (Hopedale, Hebron)

New Brunswick
Inscribed: None
Top 50 Missing: None
Other ideas: Bay of Fundy (Fundy National Park, Hopewell Rocks, Shepody National Wildlife Area)

Nova Scotia
Inscribed: Grand Pré, Joggins Fossil Cliffs, Old Town Lunenburg
Other ideas: Cape Breton Islands

Prince Edward Island
Some ideas: There's not much here. Maybe Prince Edward Island National Park or Province House...

Quebec
Inscribed: Miguasha Park, Québec
Tentative: Île d'Anticosti
Top 50 Missing: Fur Trading Centers of the Northwest (Approved), Habitat 67 (Proposed), Quebec Bridge (Suggested on whiteboard), Torngat Mountains and Kuururjuaq National Parks (Suggested on whiteboard)
Other ideas: Historic Montreal? Maybe the Mont Royal cultural landcape (they tried to get it on T list) or Montreal's botanical garden (It was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 2008 as it is considered to be one of the most important botanical gardens in the world due to the extent of its collections and facilities. [Wikipedia]). Tadoussac was mentioned regarding fur trade. Might be more interesting for Saguenay Fjord National Park and Saguenay–St. Lawrence Marine Park. Maple syrup, Canadian Museum of History

Ontario
Inscribed: Pimachiowin Aki, Rideau Canal
Top 50 Missing: Lake Superior National Marine Conservation Area (Approved), CN Tower (Suggested on whiteboard)
Other ideas: Mennonites, Niagara-on-the-Lake Cultural Landscape

Manitoba
Inscribed: Pimachiowin Aki
Top 50 Missing: Fur Trading Centers of the Northwest (Approved)
Other ideas: Polar bears and Hudson Bay. Wapusk National Park.

Saskatchewan
Tentative: Wanuskewin
Other ideas: Grasslands National Park, RCMP Academy, Depot Division

Alberta
Inscribed: Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks, Dinosaur Provincial Park, Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump, Waterton Glacier International Peace Park, Wood Buffalo National Park, Writing-on-Stone / Áísínai'pi

British Columbia
Inscribed: Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks, Glacier parks, SGang Gwaay
Tentative: Gwaii Haanas, Hecate Strait and Queen Charlotte Sound Glass Sponge Reefs Marine Protected Area, Stein Valley
Top 50 Missing: Hecate Strait and Queen Charlotte Sound Glass Sponge Reefs (Approved), Vancouver's Chinatown (Suggested on whiteboard)
Other ideas: Victoria's Chinatown is the oldest in Canada (second in NA after San Francisco) and was designed a National Historic Site 16 years before Vancouver.

Nunavut
Tentative: Qajartalik, Quttinirpaaq, Sirmilik National Park and Tallurutiup Imanga (proposed) National Marine Conservation Area
Top 50 Missing: Quttinirpaaq National Park (Approved), Sirmilik National Park and Tallurutiup Imanga (proposed) National Marine Conservation Area (Approved)

Northwest Territories
Inscribed: Nahanni National Park, Wood Buffalo National Park
Top 50 Missing:

Yukon
Inscribed: Glacier parks
Tentative: Ivvavik / Vuntut / Herschel Island (Qikiqtaruk), Tr'ondëk-Klondike, Yukon Ice Patches
Top 50 Missing: Ivvavik / Vuntut / Herschel Island (Qikiqtaruk) and Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (Approved)

Overall:
Ice hockey. Appalachian Trail. Fur trade sites could be extended to about every province. Many sites could also be linked with RCMP or NWMP.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#93 | Posted: 9 May 2020 15:13 
Sjobe:
About Russia, Northeast Passage would be a cool (in the literal sense of the word) proposal although I don't know is there anything tangible.

I think we're reaching saturation point for the Arctic: Quttinirpaaq National Park, Sirmilik National Park and Tallurutiup Imanga (proposed) National Marine Conservation Area, Ivvavik / Vuntut / Herschel Island (Qikiqtaruk) and Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, Svalbard Archipelago, Lena River Delta, Bering Strait - Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge and Commander Islands, and Russian Arctic have all been proposed and seconded. I think you'd need to find a unique angle if you want to pursue another site.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#94 | Posted: 9 May 2020 16:11 | Edited by: Colvin 
Thanks for the rundown on potential Canadian sites, FredericM!

FredericM:
New Brunswick
Other ideas: Bay of Fundy (Fundy National Park, Hopewell Rocks, Shepody National Wildlife Area)

Those are three of the main areas I was considering; the other being the John Lusby Marsh National Wildlife Area, part of a Ramsar wetland in Nova Scotia.

FredericM:
Prince Edward Island
Some ideas: There's not much here.

But how can one overlook the Canadian Potato Museum? Where else can you celebrate the critical ingredient in poutine? :-)

Poor PEI. I can't think of much else either, since I don't know if Province House has enough OUV. Same with PEI National Park.

FredericM:
Ontario
Top 50 Missing: CN Tower (Suggested on whiteboard)

Lake Superior National Marine Conservation Area is another Top 50 Missing site that was proposed for Ontario.

FredericM:
Yukon
Tentative: Ivvavik / Vuntut / Herschel Island (Qikiqtaruk)
Top 50 Missing:

I think Ivvavik / Vuntut / Herschel Island (Qikiqtaruk) was meant to be under the Yukon for Top 50 Missing, rather than Nunavut.

Author Assif
Partaker
#95 | Posted: 9 May 2020 16:16 | Edited by: Assif 
Sjobe:
You mean 'Petroglyphs of Lake Onega and the White Sea' (Kenozero is not a petroglyph site)?

I mixed up. Both are sites with petroglyphs and both are TWHS. They are even relatively close to each other. I don't know which one is better.
Kenozero petroglyphs

Colvin:
the original Metropolitan Railway line

Several stations are preserved and still in use. Together with some railway segments I think this might be a viable candidate.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#96 | Posted: 9 May 2020 18:50 | Edited by: Jurre 
For Canada:

- The ecoregion "Eastern Canadian Shield taiga", a Global 200 ecoregion, is not represented. So maybe a site "Eastern Canadian Shield taiga" could be proposed which could include the Mealy Mountains National Park Reserve and Tursujuq National Park.

- The Global 200 ecoregion "Northern prairie" is also not represented. This could be a Canada-US site, "Northern Prairie Grasslands", which would focus on the tall, mixed and short grasslands of the northern prairie. It is also a threatened ecoregion for the three types of grassland. For example, "only 1% of tallgrass prairie remains in the U.S. today", and "it is estimated that up to 80 percent of the wetlands (in the mixed grasslands ecoregion) have been lost or degraded". On the Canadian side, this site could contain the Manitoba Tall Grass Prairie Preserve, the Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park and Grasslands National Park in Saskatchewan. In the US, possible sites could be the Buffalo Gap National Grassland and the Dakota Prairie Grasslands.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#97 | Posted: 9 May 2020 19:06 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
Colvin:
nfmungard:
What is Utah without the Salt Lake? And the Mormons?

The Mormon settlements in Utah might actually make a good submission because they are not otherwise represented and they have a unique history.

I have been thinking about this for a long time, not sure it is Top 50 missing, but I really think it is a very viable site, representing a uniquely American religious experience and tied in with exploration and westward expansion.

I'm going to chuck in a proposal on the Europe/ North America thread.

Depending on what version of the proposal favoured it could also pick up a few of the more awkward states (Iowa, Nebraska, Idaho).

Author Colvin
Partaker
#98 | Posted: 9 May 2020 20:55 | Edited by: Colvin 
Jurre:
- The Global 200 ecoregion "Northern prairie"

That was why I submitted Badlands National Park, which has the largest undisturbed mixed grass prairie (straddling the zone between tall and short grasslands) in the United States, as one of my first sites.

Assif:
Several stations are preserved and still in use.

If you want to throw together a proposal for the Historic London Underground, I'd support it, provided it's feasible.

Author Sjobe
Partaker
#99 | Posted: 10 May 2020 03:21 | Edited by: Sjobe 
Colvin:
I think we're reaching saturation point for the Arctic: Quttinirpaaq National Park, Sirmilik National Park and Tallurutiup Imanga (proposed) National Marine Conservation Area, Ivvavik / Vuntut / Herschel Island (Qikiqtaruk) and Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, Svalbard Archipelago, Lena River Delta, Bering Strait - Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge and Commander Islands, and Russian Arctic have all been proposed and seconded. I think you'd need to find a unique angle if you want to pursue another site.

I'm not particularly pursuing this. Just throwing some ideas just in case if someone would be interested. At this point everything is more or less saturated. I think that big part of the current proposals are anyway more 'Top 500 Missing' than 'Top 50 Missing'.

All these arctic sites you mentioned are natural sites or national parks. The unique angle with Northeast Passage could be that it is an arctic site that is not natural. It would be about historic explorations of new areas and routes, and also industrial history. But as I said, the problem could be that there is nothing tangible for WHS.

Author watkinstravel
Partaker
#100 | Posted: 10 May 2020 17:34 
I guess I'll say it here too then. I'm in favour of a proposal combining Bryce and Zion at least. I like FredericM's idea of combining all the major parks between Zion and Arches but is there a unifying geological aspect that makes sense for this?

What is the group and Unesco's policy on Antarctica? I want to second the explorations of Antarctica proposal but does that mean we can propose more for there then too?

Author Jurre
Partaker
#101 | Posted: 10 May 2020 17:47 
Colvin:
That was why I submitted Badlands National Park, which has the largest undisturbed mixed grass prairie (straddling the zone between tall and short grasslands) in the United States, as one of my first sites.

I had overlooked that nomination.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#102 | Posted: 10 May 2020 17:51 | Edited by: Jurre 
We've been talking about modern architecture before. There was one architect that hasn't been named yet. What about a site with "The Work of I.M. Pei"?

Other interesting buildings of XX century architecture:
- Torino Esposizioni (Italy)
- TWA Flight Center (USA)
- Gateway Arch (USA)
- Riverside Studio (and other work by Bruce Goff) (USA)
- Chrysler Building (USA)
- Einstein Tower (Germany)
- Helsinki Central Station (Finland)

But would any of these be Top 50 Missing?

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#103 | Posted: 10 May 2020 18:38 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Jurre:
- Chrysler Building (USA)

I believe this is included in the NYC skyscrapers.

Jurre:
- Riverside Studio (and other work by Bruce Goff) (USA)

My collection of serial properties connected to the "International Style", which began with vantcj1's list of 20th century modernism proposals, remains in limbo and largely un-discussed. Perhaps the gap of 20th century architecture in the US is largely filled by the proposals already seconded?

Author Jurre
Partaker
#104 | Posted: 10 May 2020 19:31 
winterkjm:
I believe this is included in the NYC skyscrapers.

Oh yes, it is indeed.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#105 | Posted: 10 May 2020 19:57 
Still working my way through Russia. How about a nomination for Mount Elbrus, which would include the Prielbrusye National Park?

Summary:
- tallest mountain in Europe
- dormant volcano
- relative isolation of steep gorges has led to high levels of endemism and biodiversity
- located in the Caucasus mixed forests, one of the most biologically diverse ecoregions in the world
- steppe wolves, European jackals, red foxes, Caucasian lynx, wild boars and Syrian brown bears

Con: There already is a WHS "Western Caucasus"

Page  Page 7 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 Missing - 2020 version - Whiteboard

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑