World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 Missing - 2020 version - Whiteboard

Page  Page 6 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next »

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#76 | Posted: 8 May 2020 10:54 | Edited by: winterkjm 
vantcj1:
Major works of Louis Kahn

vantcj1:
Major works of Richard Meier:

In my (unprofessional) view both nominations would be premature. Nearly all buildings from these 2 architects are not recognized/protected at the national level. It also would over-saturate the Modern Architecture gap we are trying to address in the United States. While I know there is more to offer in the US, personally I would find these 2 nominations sufficient.

- Case Study Houses in Los Angeles (2 components)
- Spread of International Style Modernism to the United States (if approved, 6 components)

*Please feel free to suggest alternatives/alterations to my serial nomination (brainstorming stage) proposal connected to the International Style, its just an idea that would include many of vantcj1's sites he highlighted.

All 19 of these WHS are connected in some way to Modernism or the Modernist Architecture Movement, when I am considering which examples of "Modernism" in the United States, I would look at the context of what has already been inscribed, and what potential nominations in the US can contribute or fill a gap?

The Architectural Work of Le Corbusier, an Outstanding Contribution to the Modern Movement
The 20th-Century Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright
Bauhaus and its Sites in Weimar, Dessau and Bernau
Tugendhat Villa
Rietveld Schröderhuis (Rietveld Schröder House)
Luis Barragán House and Studio
Le Havre, the City Rebuilt by Auguste Perret
Berlin Modernism Housing Estates
White City of Tel-Aviv – the Modern Movement
Asmara
Brasilia
Pampulha Modern Ensemble
Ivrea, industrial city of the 20th century
Fagus Factory in Alfeld
Van Nellefabriek
Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas
Central University City Campus of the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM)
Centennial Hall in Wrocław
Stoclet House

Author Sjobe
Partaker
#77 | Posted: 8 May 2020 11:34 | Edited by: Sjobe 
winterkjm:
Spread of International Style Modernism to the United States

(Mies van der Rohe Components) 3

(Richard Neutra Components) 3

I don't know if this fall into right category but maybe there is a common factor on this and the earlier mentioned Alvar Aalto proposal: Baker House of MIT by Alvar Aalto, ArchDaily, Wikipedia

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#78 | Posted: 8 May 2020 13:15 
winterkjm:
(Mies van der Rohe Components) 3

Why would you exclude the Seagram building? That's the only Mies van der Rohe building even layman like me know about...

Colvin:
If you want to propose any of those, you may find some support. I agree with you that Williamsburg, VA, may not pass muster because of some of its reconstruction.

Half of the Korean WHS are reconstructions. Wood burns fast.

Sjobe:
Alvar Aalto

For me a better designer than architect.

winterkjm:
All 19 of these WHS are connected in some way to Modernism or the Modernist Architecture Movement, when I am considering which examples of "Modernism" in the United States, I would look at the context of what has already been inscribed, and what potential nominations in the US can contribute or fill a gap?

I think that's a general issue. Very few pre modern architects are awarded their own WHS (Palladio in Vicenza comes to mind, but that is a really unique architect still influential today). Mies van der Rohe has already an inscription, so I think you could forgo this. However, your summary clearly has a European focus, then Latin America. Northern America falls short with only a single site.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#79 | Posted: 8 May 2020 13:53 | Edited by: winterkjm 
nfmungard:
Why would you exclude the Seagram building?

It was mentioned to possibly include this in the New York Skyscraper proposal? Though I suppose it would be an appropriate addition here as well? I was also hesitant to include sites that are not designated/protected at the national level.

nfmungard:
Half of the Korean WHS are reconstructions.

Not exactly accurate, but point is well taken. There is some authenticity that remains with Williamsburg, "Of the approximately 500 buildings reconstructed or restored, 88 are labelled original" - Wikipedia. Though I would favor Newport, Savannah, or Charleston over Williamsburg.

Author Sjobe
Partaker
#80 | Posted: 8 May 2020 19:32 | Edited by: Sjobe 
I quickly skimmed through 83 sites of Turkey T list, read descriptions and looked some images. And it was an interesting exercise. I classified the sites on three categories: Worth WHS Status 10, Maybe 22, and Not 51. Note, that this is based on my own not visited, unscientific first impression perceptions, and you can disagree :)

Worth WHS status
- Akdamar Church
- Ancient City of Kaunos (already listed)
- Harran and Sanliurfa
- Ishak Pasha Palace
- Íznik
- Konya-A capital of Seljuk Civilization
- Mardin Cultural Landscape
- Sümela Monastery (The Monastery of Virgin Mary)
- The Tombstones of Ahlat the Urartian and Ottoman citadel
- Vespasianus Titus Tunnel

Author Colvin
Partaker
#81 | Posted: 9 May 2020 00:41 
Sjobe:
- Konya-A capital of Seljuk Civilization

To me, Konya (formerly known as Iconium) is the most significant of the sites you mentioned that have not yet been proposed. This site, as noted under the title of the TWHS, was the capital of the Anatolian Seljuk Sultanate, which reached the height of its influence during the 12th and 13th centuries, connecting trade routes via caravanserai from Iran and Central Asia to the Mediterranean. The city includes monuments such as the fortress of Konya, the Alaaddin Mosque, and the Sirçali Madrasa, as well as the Mausoleum of Rumi, known as the Mevlana Museum, which is home to the Mevlevi Order, a Sufi order famed for its "whirling dervishes".

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#82 | Posted: 9 May 2020 05:16 
Waiting for winterkjms summary to see where our whiteboard/proposals actually stand.

To me it seems we have covered UK and the USA quite well by now. For the USA only a few slicing issues remain (Joshua Tree AND Death Valley, Death Valley alone, Whole Moab? desert, ...), but those we should be able to sort out.

Canada and Russia would be next up and given their size they may deserve a similar effort as the USA received: going through them state by state. For Russia we already have plenty of worthwhile proposals.

For Canada, looking at the current map:
* Neither of the two principal cities has a WHS (Toronto, Montreal). Is there nothing here?
=> CN Tower, Toronto; Historic Montreal
* The states of Ontario, Manitoba,, Sasketchwan and Nunavut pretty empty.
=> Great Lakes
=> Polar Bears
* Hudson Bay/NW Passage seem oddly empty.
* For Acadia NP we said the Canadians sites would be better. But there isn't really a Nova Scotia NP listed. It's all fossils.
==> Bay of Fundy.

Ideas:
* Mennonites in Canada. "It is a popular location for tourism,[1] due to its quaint village appearance, retail focus and Mennonite heritage. "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Jacobs,_Ontario

And some goofy ideas:
* Maple Leaf Sirup farm
* Ice hockey

Author Jurre
Partaker
#83 | Posted: 9 May 2020 06:28 
nfmungard:
For Russia we already have plenty of worthwhile proposals.

And yet, I feel we have barely scratched the surface, certainly for the natural sites.

nfmungard:
Joshua Tree AND Death Valley

I'm more and more in favor of binding these together under the "Mojave Desert: Death Valley and Joshua Tree". We'd leave out the Colorado Desert, but we'd have to iconic sites together to represent the ecoregion.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#84 | Posted: 9 May 2020 06:32 
Jurre:
I'm more and more in favor of binding these together under the "Mojave Desert: Death Valley and Joshua Tree". We'd leave out the Colorado Desert, but we'd have to iconic sites together to represent the ecoregion.

Sounds like a good proposal Write it up; i will second. Sounds like the proper approach.

Jurre:
And yet, I feel we have barely scratched the surface, certainly for the natural sites.

Probably agreeing here with you. As soon as I have an overview I would do the state/republic approach and let's see where we have gaps regionally for Russia that can be filled.

Author Assif
Partaker
#85 | Posted: 9 May 2020 08:15 | Edited by: Assif 
nfmungard:
covered UK

I am not that sure. I have just proposed three (!) further sites for the UK for uncovered categories (Falklands for Southern Patagonian biomes, Inns of Court as an example of continuously functioning institutions of the justice system and Ancouts as the cradle of the industrial revolution).
The industrial revolution is currently represented by Saltaire, Derwent and New Lanark (not considering mines), but some important aspects are still missing. The Western Railway, for example, was previously considered as an early example of railway expansion in the UK before it further expanded to other countries. The London Tube as the first underground system worldwide is worth considering.

nfmungard:
As soon as I have an overview I would do the state/republic approach and let's see where we have gaps regionally for Russia that can be filled.

Further archaeological sites to be considered in Russia are:

Por-Bazhyn
Timerovo
Semikarakorsk
Kanozero petroglyphs
Ekven
Sikachi-Aylan

Author Jurre
Partaker
#86 | Posted: 9 May 2020 08:49 
Assif:
The Western Railway

Talking about railway, would a site about the "Engineering of Isambard Kingdom Brunel" be an interesting idea?

Possible sites:
- Thames Tunnel
- Clifton Suspension Bridge
- Maidenhead Railway Bridge
- Royal Albert Bridge
- South Devon Railway engine houses

Author Colvin
Partaker
#87 | Posted: 9 May 2020 10:10 | Edited by: Colvin 
nfmungard:
For Canada, looking at the current map:

It may be worthwhile to look at what has already been proposed on the spreadsheet. Montreal has two proposals so far — Fur Trading Centers of the Northwest (seconded) and Habitat 67. Toronto doesn't have any, but FredericM has suggested the CN Tower be considered, so you might have a second if you want to propose it.

Fur Trading Centers of the Northwest also includes York Factory, which is in Manitoba and pretty much on the Hudson Bay. Winterkjm's Lake Superior proposal (seconded) covers Ontario and the Great Lakes. Sirmilik National Park (seconded) is in Nunavut, and covers polar bears and the Northwest Passage. Qajartalik, a petroglyph site on Canada's TWHS list is also in Nunavut.

Saskatchewan is a bit empty, true. They have Grasslands National Park and their West Point/FBI academy for one of the symbols of Canada, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, in Regina (aka Pile of Bones). I've visited the depot, and they do have a couple buildings from the late 19th/early 20th century amidst some newer, less photogenic brick buildings. Also in Saskatchewan near Saskatoon is Wanuskewin Heritage Park, which is currently on Canada's TWHS list, hoping to become the first WHS in the province.

In Nova Scotia, the counterpart to Acadia would probably have to be Cape Breton Island, which has a beautiful park, Cape Breton Highlands. I'm not sure how it would fare against the scenic Gros Morne National Park, a WHS to the north in Newfoundland.

Bay of Fundy is of interest. I may throw together a proposal for that one, focused on the New Brunswick side.

For maple syrup and sugaring houses, I'd recommend you see if there is anything historic in Quebec. Mennonites also exist in many places in the US, but the Amish in Pennsylvania generally draw more interest and visitors for their culture. Perhaps FredericM has insight as to whether Mennonite culture is important in Canada.

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#88 | Posted: 9 May 2020 14:01 
Sjobe:
Konya-A capital of Seljuk Civilization

I would second this if you propose this in top missing.

Author Sjobe
Partaker
#89 | Posted: 9 May 2020 14:09 
Assif:
Kanozero petroglyphs

You mean 'Petroglyphs of Lake Onega and the White Sea' (Kenozero is not a petroglyph site)? What I have understood and seen some pictures, these two sites in Republic of Karelia are very good. Petroglyphs in Belomorsk have an interesting location on rocky islands in the middle of river (Wikipedia, Rock Art Bridge, Google Image Search). Lake Onega Petroglyphs are located on Cape Besov Nos (To Discover Russia, Google Image Search).

I could support this proposal.

Author Sjobe
Partaker
#90 | Posted: 9 May 2020 14:39 | Edited by: Sjobe 
About Russia, Northeast Passage would be a cool (in the literal sense of the word) proposal although I don't know is there anything tangible.

Page  Page 6 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 Missing - 2020 version - Whiteboard

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑