World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 Missing - 2020 version - Whiteboard

Page  Page 10 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next »

Author csarica
Partaker
#136 | Posted: 16 May 2020 01:11 
Jurre:
So, possible representants:
- Lake Van
- Lake Tuz (TWHS)
- Lake Beyşehir National Park with Eflatun Pınar (TWHS)
- Turkish Lakes Region

As for rivers, I don't find any good representants

Nowadays, the most popular lake in Anatolia is Lake Salda, which is a part of the Turkish Lakes region. It is a turquoise colored crater lake with pure white beaches.
Currently, the government is trying to construct a concrete touristic facility on its white beaches despite heavy opposition. If humankind wants to save this region, it is the time.

http://bianet.org/english/environment/222978-construction-vehicles-enter-lake-salda-beach-leave-after-outrage

Author csarica
Partaker
#137 | Posted: 16 May 2020 01:59 
vantcj1:
top 50 missing candidate. I remember having read/seen with interest about the architectural input from the Seljuk civilization and was particularly interested by Erzurum's Çifte Minareli and Konya's Ince Minarelli Madrasah, Do you think this serial site has Top 50 potential?

csarica I understand that you haven't classified the "Seljuk Caravanserais from Denizli to Doğubayazıt" in the list provided by Sjobe This is another "site" I became interested in when I was in Architectural School, specially for Aksaray's Sultan Khan, which seems quite well preserved and really interesting. I know that -as per the corresponding connection- there are already 25 WHS with caravanserais, but there is not one of them that features a network of them along a highly important ancient trade route (that may be of course the Silk route site, but it seems that it only has one, at Akyrtas, but it is an archaeological site). If you consider that it may be worthy, I'd put it forward in "Top 50- Europe and North America" forum.

I really admire the architecture of Madrasahs. Gok and Cacabey are currently under renovation, but the others are in good condition and amazing in terms of architecture. No doubt they deserve a WHS status, but to be in top 50 is so assertive for them. A non architect eye will probaby not able to see what you saw in them. I am in between for them. May or may not be a top 50, depends on the quality of the other candidate top 50 proposals.

Most of the caravanserais in the list are not even exist currently, demolished years ago. The ones that stand still are mostly hired to low quality restaurants, closed to public, under renovation or used as wedding halls. Imo, their inscription chance is half of the madrasahs'. For top 50, I can clearly say No.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#138 | Posted: 16 May 2020 15:16 | Edited by: Jurre 
The Europe thread is closed. I thought I read somewhere it would be open to Monday.

Anyway, I'd have posted one more proposal:

Full Name of Site: Lake Van Cultural Landscape
TWHS? No, but yes for part of this proposal: Tushpa/Van Fortress, the Mound and the Old City of Van, Akdamar Church and The Tombstones of Ahlat the Urartian and Ottoman citadel
Short description of site: Lake Van the largest lake in eastern Turkey and is a representative of the Global 200 Freshwater ecoregion "Anatolian freshwater". It is a saline soda lake, receiving water from numerous small streams that descend from the surrounding mountains. Lake Van is one of the world's largest endorheic lakes (having no outlet). The lake's proximity to the Karlıova Triple Junction has resulted in fluids from the Earth's mantle accumulating in the strata beneath Lake Van, driving some of its geological evolution. Dominating the lake's northern shore is the stratovolcano Mount Süphan. The broad crater of a second, dormant volcano, Mount Nemrut, lies close to the western tip of the lake. There is hydrothermal activity throughout the region. The Lake Van region is the home of the rare Van Cat breed of cat, noted for among other things its unusual fascination with water, and is surrounded by fruit and grain-growing agricultural areas.
Tushpa, the capital of Urartu, was located near the shores of Lake Van, on the site of what became medieval Van's castle, west of present-day Van city. The ruins of the medieval city of Van are still visible below the southern slopes of the rock on which Van Castle is located. The lake was the centre of the Armenian kingdom of Ararat from about 1000 BC. Near the Van Castle and the southern shore, on Akdamar Island lies the 10th century Church of the Holy Cross, which served as a royal church to the Armenian Vaspurakan kingdom. The Ahlatshahs left a large number of historic tombstones in and around the town of Ahlat.
Criteria: Mixed

But I guess, it's too late now.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#139 | Posted: 16 May 2020 15:23 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Original plan was May16th, then with a hiatus day (to catch up on all the proposals) May 17th. I will create the Top Missing Latin America and Caribbean page shortly. If Els wants to open the Europe thread for a brief period today thats her prerogative. Proposals seemed largely to have dried out though with the exception of discussions connected to Turkey.

Any volunteers to update some seconded proposals with no information?

Arab States
Great Desert Landscapes - The Qattara Depression & the Great Sand Sea
Dar al-Hajar (extension of Sana'a)
Old Dongola
Roman cities/remains of Eastern Algeria

Asia and the Pacific
Bahoutdin Architectural Complex
Desert Castles of Ancient Khorezm
Nasqsh-e Rostam and Naqsh-e Rajab
Shrine of Hazrat Ali, Mazar-i-Sharif
Ranakpur Jain Temple & Dilwara temple
Shatrunjaya Hill Palitana Temples
Meenakshi Amman Temple, Madurai
Cremation Ghats of Varanasi
Balinese wayang painted ceilings of Kerta Gosa and Bale Kambang
Annapurna 7-8K Mountain Ranges

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#140 | Posted: 17 May 2020 00:43 
@Winterkjm: Maybe use your first post for the summary instead of discussing actual proposals? You can always go back and edit it...

Some thoughts re Latin America:
* Salar de Uyuni / Isla Incahuasi (Bolivia)
* Lake Titicaca (Peru, Bolivia)
* Sacred Valley (Peru)
* Atacarma Desert (Chile) / Reserva Nacional de Fauna Andina Eduardo Avaroa (Bolivia)
* Torres des Payne National Park
* Colca Canyon (Peru)
* Andahuaylillas (Peru)
* Chiloe NP (Chile)
* Volcanoes of Chile / Osorno (Chile)
* Southern Chile National Parks (Chile): Everything south of Puerto Montt.
* Tierra del Fuego (Argentina, Chile)
* Lago General Carrera (Argentina, Chile)
* Area around Bariloche / Parque Nacional Nahuel Huapi (Argentina)
* Estádio do Maracanã (Brazil)
* Rubber Boom Manaus (Brazil)
* Fordlândia (Brazil)
* Itaipu Dam

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#141 | Posted: 18 May 2020 16:35 
Chile: Los Palatfitos...

Seems the discussion isn't starting for South America. Will work on my proposals instead ;;

Author Jurre
Partaker
#142 | Posted: 18 May 2020 17:57 | Edited by: Jurre 
I'll post a proposal here. Within the Global 200 ecoregion the "Greater Antillean moist forests", the "Cuban moist forests" and the "Jamaican moist forests" are represented, but there is no representant of the "Hispaniolan moist forests".

There might be several candidates for the "Hispaniolan moist forests".

In Haiti:
- Massif de la Hotte, with several National Parks: Pic Macaya National Park, Grande Colline National Park, Grand Bois National Park and Deux Mamelles National Park

The Massif de la Hotte is a mountain range in southwestern Haiti, on the far-western end of the Tiburon Peninsula. The region is relatively remote and is one of the most biologically diverse and significant areas of all of Hispaniola. It also supports some of the last stands of Haiti's dense cloud forest on its peaks. About 2.5 million years ago, the Massif de la Hotte was separated from the rest of the country by a deep, wide sea channel, which resulted in a hotbed of endemism in its bird, plant, and reptile communities. Conservation International recognizes the region as one of the most conservation-urgent in the world in which 13 of Hispaniola's most critically endangered species (all amphibians) occur.

In the Dominican Republic, there is this TWHS:
- Parque Nacional Jaragua

Jaragua National Park has an extraordinary value as a world heritage because it contains terrestrial, coastal, marine and wetland ecosystems unique to the island of Santo Domingo and of great relevance in the Caribbean, due to its physical and biological characteristics, its high level of endemism and its excellent state of preservation. The subtropical dry forest, the scarce and most threatened vegetal association of America, occupies 95.25% of the territory of the protected land area. It represents the largest extension of this type of primary forest that is located in the Antilles, with all associated fauna in excellent condition. Jaragua National Park includes dry forest, mangroves, and scrub, as well as land and marine habitats. Beata Island (Isla Beata), Alto Velo Island, Bahia de las Aguilas and Lago de Oviedo (noted for its diverse bird life) are part of the park.

Other interesting sites on and around Hispaniola:
- Cueva de las Maravillas National Park: caves with ancient paintings by the Taíno Indians

- José Armando Bermúdez National Park: northern slopes and central portions of the Central Mountain Range, protecting a diversity of flora and fauna species. The Pale Magnolia tree (Magnolia pallescens), an endangered species endemic to Hispaniola, grows in the range and park.

- Los Haitises National Park: limestone karst plateau with conical hills, sinkholes and caverns, and there is a large area of mangrove forest on the coast. The park contains a number of different habitats and consequently has a great diversity of mammals and birds, including some rare species endemic to the island. Some of the caverns contain pictograms and petroglyphs. The fauna of Los Haitises is of great variety, and due to the park's diversity of physical geographic zones, it has the greatest diversity of fauna among the protected natural areas in the country. Being a coastal and marine park, it contains a large variety of birds, including most of the species endemic to the country.

- Santuario de Mamíferos Marinos Bancos de La Plata y Navidad (TWHS): the largest marine protected area in the Dominican Republic and the first sanctuary of marine mammals in the Atlantic Ocean. The Sanctuary protects the habitat of the largest population of humpback whales that arrives from the North Atlantic each year to the warm waters of the Caribbean Region in winter. The protected area has other conservation objects in the natural field such as coral reefs and mangroves, with high value for conservation and local economic development. These ecosystems are fundamental for the sustainability of the populations of fish and crustaceans and therefore for the survival of the marine mammals that inhabit this coastal marine area.

Reading about them makes me want to propose several of them. But maybe input by other who know more, is warranted. My preference goes to
- Massif de la Hotte
- Jaragua National Park
- Los Haitises National Park
- Santuario de Mamíferos Marinos Bancos de La Plata y Navidad -> different from the others, because essentially marine

Author FredericM
Partaker
#143 | Posted: 19 May 2020 16:17 
nfmungard:
Some thoughts re Latin America:
* Atacarma Desert (Chile) / Reserva Nacional de Fauna Andina Eduardo Avaroa (Bolivia)

* Colca Canyon (Peru)

* Chiloe NP (Chile)
* Southern Chile National Parks (Chile): Everything south of Puerto Montt.
* Tierra del Fuego (Argentina, Chile)
* Lago General Carrera (Argentina, Chile)
* Area around Bariloche / Parque Nacional Nahuel Huapi (Argentina)

I would be interested in reading proposals for Atacama and Colca Canyon.

You also mention quite a lot of parks in southern Chile and Argentina. I wonder unique and deserving each of them is. Should they all be WHS on their own of extensions to Los Alerces and Los Glaciares? Dot density can undoubtedly be increased but I'm unsure which are the best candidates.

Author Sjobe
Partaker
#144 | Posted: 20 May 2020 07:07 
winterkjm:
Any volunteers to update some seconded proposals with no information?

winterkjm:
Roman cities/remains of Eastern Algeria

Maybe this could be named after TWHS Augustinian sites, places and routes in the central Maghreb

Eastern part of Algeria is one of the hotspots of Roman archaeological sites. These 14 Roman cities are both important archaeological sites and also linked to the travels of Augustine (354–430), Bishop of Hippo. He was a philosopher and theologian. Augustine, an important Latin Father and Doctor of the Church, is one of the most important figures in the development of Western Christianity. From Hippo Regius, his missions take him to places along routes that cover all of eastern Algeria and part of central Algeria today. His travels in Numidia and Mauretania are well documented and the places visited clearly identified thanks to his numerous correspondences and sermons.

winterkjm:
Nasqsh-e Rostam and Naqsh-e Rajab

Naqsh-e Rostam is an ancient necropolis of four Persian kings from both the Achaemenid and Sassanid periods. These large tombs have been cut in to cliff face high above the ground. The tombs are believed to belong to following kings: Darius I, Xerxes I, Artaxerxes I and Darius II. There is also a fifth unfinished tomb which is likely that of Darius III. Naqsh-e Rajab has three fine Sassanian rock reliefs.

winterkjm:
Shrine of Hazrat Ali, Mazar-i-Sharif

The Blue Mosque, also known as the Shrine of Hazrat Ali, is a mosque located in the center of Mazar-i-Sharif. This beautiful blue tiled mosque is an important landmark in Mazar-i-Sharif. The first mosque was destroyed by Genghis Khan and his Mongol army in the 13th century. But it was rebuilt 1481 in an even grander fashion, in the form of a giant blue mosque which still exists to this day. The Shrine of Hazrat Ali has always been the most significant place of pilgrimage in Afghanistan, both for Shi'ite and Sunni Muslims.

Then, I promised to create a proper summary of "Landscape of the city of Constantine" (Arab #38). Maybe it could be named Cultural Landscape and Bridges of Gorge in Constantine.

Constantine is the capital of eastern Algeria and the third largest city of the country. During Roman times it was called Cirta. This 2000-year-old city is often called "City of Bridges" due to the numerous picturesque bridges connecting the various hills, valleys, and ravines that the city is built on and around. In Constantine is one of the most breathtaking sceneries of any city of this size thanks to its unique and picturesque geography. The city is set on a high plateau split in half by a deep and dramatic gorge. A series of historic bridges span across the Rhummel River gorge that runs through Constantine. The Sidi M'Cid suspension bridge, built in 1912, is the highest (175 meters high) and most stunning of all the bridges. It was once the highest suspension bridge in the world.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#145 | Posted: 21 May 2020 12:59 
Which of these proposals from the TWHS (my subjective selection) would be worth pursuing?

- La Payunia, Campos Volcánicos Llancanelo y Payún Matrú (Argentina)
- Sierra de las Quijadas National Park (Argentina)
- Inagua National Park (Bahamas)
- Cavernas do Peruaçu Environmental Protection Area (Brazil)
- Lençóis Maranhenses National Park (Brazil)
- Archaeological sites of the Chinchorro culture (Chile)
- Fell and Pali Aike Caves (Chile)
- Pre-Hispanic Hydraulic System of the San Jorge River (Colombia)
- Reef System in the Cuban Caribbean (Cuba)
- Ciénaga de Zapata National Park (Cuba)
- Chankillo Astronomical Complex (Peru)
- Archaeological Complex of Toro Muerto (Peru)
- Guano Islands, Islets, and Capes National Reserve System (Peru)
- Rural Temples of Cusco (Peru)
- Banwari Trace Archaeological Site (Trinidad & Tobago)

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#146 | Posted: 21 May 2020 16:39 
Jurre:
- Rural Temples of Cusco (Peru)

I will write sth on this one. Barroco Andino deserves an inscription.

I also feel we should look at the NPs of Chile. I already proposed Chiloe NP. Some more ideas:
* Lauca NP: seems amazing. With Volcano.
* Queulat National Park: Half way between Torres and Puerto Montt.
* Nevado Tres Cruces NP: Worlds tallest volcano.
* Vicente Pérez Rosales National Park: Osorno Volcano.
https://www.touropia.com/national-parks-in-chile/
https://ecochile.travel/the-most-beautiful-national-parks-in-chile/

Author FredericM
Partaker
#147 | Posted: 21 May 2020 18:11 
Jurre:
- Guano Islands, Islets, and Capes National Reserve System (Peru)

I already proposed this one.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#148 | Posted: 21 May 2020 19:05 
FredericM:
I already proposed this one.

I've seen it. Sorry I overlooked that.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#149 | Posted: 26 May 2020 15:00 | Edited by: Colvin 
I don't know that this would ever make it as a World Heritage Site, but a site in Mexico that is pretty spectacular to see, particularly with good light, is the Cosmovitral in Toluca. This was an old market hall that was refurbished with stained glass and turned into a botanical garden in 1980. Toluca is not far from Mexico City, and the stained glass murals were one of the neatest things I saw on my last visit to Mexico a couple years ago; I definitely would recommend a visit if anyone is ever in the area.

Author FredericM
Partaker
#150 | Posted: 26 May 2020 19:23 
Actually looks really cool! I should make it to Toluca next time I'm in Mexico City.
Similarly, one of my favorite place that'll never be a WHS is la Biblioteca Vasconcelos. Its architecture really impressed me.

Page  Page 10 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 Missing - 2020 version - Whiteboard

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑