World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 - Europe and North America [2020]

Page  Page 8 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  7  8  9  ...  19  20  Next »

Author Assif
Partaker
#106 | Posted: 3 May 2020 06:23 
nfmungard:
Yes. But was hoping more for the original T-Model factory line.

Do you mean Highland Park Ford Plant? Maybe a serial nomination would be better?

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#107 | Posted: 3 May 2020 06:26 
Walter:
Assif:
Chernobyl Exclusion Zone

I would second this. Primarily, for the international cooperation afterwards to clean this up. Not fully convinced we made the right conclusions re nuclear technology from Chernobyl.

Could be extended to Belarus with Polesie State Radioecological Reserve.

Author Assif
Partaker
#108 | Posted: 3 May 2020 06:32 
jonathanfr:
Could be extended to Belarus with Polesie State Radioecological Reserve.

Agreed.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#109 | Posted: 3 May 2020 06:36 
Sjobe:
By the way, I found summarising (copy-pasting) OUV to a couple of lines very difficult. In a complex sites these few lines can seem very underwhelming. I prefer that people provide good links and sources from where everyone can study each site with all the details.

That to me would be the work before the actual voting starts.

Assif:
Do you mean Highland Park Ford Plant? Maybe a serial nomination would be better?

Yeah. I was looking at that initially. Again, wasn't too sure re tangible remains. I am wondering if there isn't a GM plant somewhere that fell out of fashion and was closed as is before the rise of the robots,..

Generally, you could argue that this should be a cross national nomination to also cover Germany etc.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#110 | Posted: 3 May 2020 07:25 
Sjobe:
By the way, I found summarising (copy-pasting) OUV to a couple of lines very difficult. In a complex sites these few lines can seem very underwhelming. I prefer that people provide good links and sources from where everyone can study each site with all the details.

I agree that it's sometimes very hard to condense the info and the OUV, but I find it an interesting exercise for the sites I want to propose. I sometimes take more than an hour to make a proposal and write up the little text, but I do think it is worthwile.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#111 | Posted: 3 May 2020 07:32 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Assif:
Maybe a serial nomination would be better?

Here is a list of National Historic Landmarks in Michigan that are connected to the Early Automobile Industry.

Ford

Ford Piquette Avenue Plant (Detroit) - This production plant was the initial factory for the Ford Motor Company. Built in 1904, it was where the original Model T Ford was first designed and produced, and is the factory that earned Henry Ford his position in the American automotive industry.

Highland Park Ford Plant (Highland Park) - Under construction from 1909 to 1920, the Albert Kahn-designed plant is thought to be the "birthplace of the moving assembly line".

Ford River Rouge Complex (Dearborn) - This complex, mostly constructed between 1917 and 1927, was where Henry Ford first achieved continuous work flow in the production of automobiles. It is considered "one of the industrial wonders of the world".

General Motors

Durant-Dort Carriage Company Office (Flint) - was instrumental in the promotion and financing of the carriage and automobile industries, including lending to both Buick and General Motors during their start-up periods.

General Motors Building (Detroit) - Completed in 1923, this is the oldest extant headquarters of General Motors in Detroit. This building symbolizes one of the largest manufacturing corporations in the world.

General Motors Technical Center (Warren) - Eero Saarinen's International Style research center for the automaker was completed in 1955. It has been praised as one of the best industrial buildings of its era.

This heritage is often colloquially called or recognized in the region as "MotorCities National Heritage Area".

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#112 | Posted: 3 May 2020 07:44 | Edited by: nfmungard 
Just to point out that the first car was a German Mercedes. If we serializing this beyond Ford and the production line, we should also cover international sites.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benz_Patent-Motorwagen

Author Sjobe
Partaker
#113 | Posted: 3 May 2020 08:12 
Jurre:
I agree that it's sometimes very hard to condense the info and the OUV, but I find it an interesting exercise for the sites I want to propose. I sometimes take more than an hour to make a proposal and write up the little text, but I do think it is worthwile.

Yep, and that's my problem, because as a father of two small children, I have very little time. It would be an interesting exercise if I had more time. Usually I do all this WHS related stuff during nights when everyone else are sleeping :D

Author Assif
Partaker
#114 | Posted: 3 May 2020 08:14 
nfmungard:
Ford and the production line

I would also rather to stick to Ford.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#115 | Posted: 3 May 2020 11:47 
Sjobe:
Yep, and that's my problem, because as a father of two small children, I have very little time. It would be an interesting exercise if I had more time. Usually I do all this WHS related stuff during nights when everyone else are sleeping :D

I understand. No kids here, but as a teacher, I have lots of kid at school. And school does take some work, that's why I had hardly any time to propose during the two weeks the Asia-Pacific thread was open. And definitely now, when all my pupils are at home due to corona and I need to rethink my lessons.

Author elsslots
Admin
#116 | Posted: 3 May 2020 12:37 
Sjobe:
I prefer that people provide good links and sources from where everyone can study each site with all the details.

At the speed we are going now, noone has time to read any details

Author Colvin
Partaker
#117 | Posted: 3 May 2020 13:08 
Jurre:
No kids here, but as a teacher, I have lots of kid at school. And school does take some work... definitely now, when all my pupils are at home due to corona and I need to rethink my lessons.

Thanks for all you are doing as a teacher! (and that goes for other teachers, too, such as winterkjm)

Author Colvin
Partaker
#118 | Posted: 3 May 2020 13:13 
nfmungard:
Disagree. While on the Antoine's Wall there aren't any fortifications left, you can still walk along the whole stretch of the wall in Scotland. It gives you a pretty good feeling for the scope of the operation... For the Berlin wall, you can follow markers in the ground and get to the parts they left intact which has a museum feeling to it.

We'll have to agree to diagree, then. :-) I think it may be partly because I am coming from a perspective of not having seen the wall when it was intact, and therefore don't have anything to compare it to beyond what I'd seen on TV, that I feel like the sections of wall that remain that I've seen were enough for me to have context.

nfmungard:
That to me (summarizing OUV and providing links for context for sites that don't have them) would be the work before the actual voting starts.

I'll be willing to help with what I can with whatever time I have.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#119 | Posted: 3 May 2020 13:59 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Colvin:
Thanks for all you are doing as a teacher!

Thank you, that is very nice.

elsslots:
At the speed we are going now, no one has time to read any details

We can add a full day moratorium on new proposals (just add +1 per hiatus day to our Europe and North America proposal period)? This would provide more opportunity for some of us to review the 8 pages of forum posts that were made in just over 24 hours! In addition, this would provide time to make sure the Missing 2020 document is fully updated.

This reveals how "Western" oriented our community is, yet at the same time, Europe and the US are some of the most visited regions on Earth, therefore many of us have personal experiences and memories connected with the proposals we are making, which makes a big difference when it comes to numbers. While it's difficult, I think there is an effort being made by many of our community to avoid the "over-saturation" of proposals from their home country. It is difficult in hindsight, because we didn't set explicit rules on this. I think this "honor system" will be fine, as long as the community as a whole is accepting to the idea that many European and North American sites might not be seconded. There also might be more polite disagreement than previous regions, which is also fine.

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#120 | Posted: 3 May 2020 14:27 
winterkjm:
Hecate Strait and Queen Charlotte Sound Glass Sponge Reefs - Sound Glass Sponge Reefs
Antelope Canyon - One of most beautiful canyon
Petrified Forest National Park - Desert
Volcanic and forest areas of Martinique
Sites mégalithiques de Carnac -One of the largest such collection in the world
Minoan palaces of Crete 
Ancient City of Kaunos -Lycian
Wooden Roofed and Wooden Columned Mosques in Anatolia - Typical Antolian style
Oxford and Cambridge -Historic university
Vespasianus Titus Tunnel - one of the world's largest tunnels in ancient world
Mausoleum of Hecatomnus
Theatre and Aqueducts of the Ancient City of Aspendos

I had written the OUV in a sentence or phrase for most of the sites. Still I will write few sentence of sites which are not seconded.l

Page  Page 8 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  7  8  9  ...  19  20  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 - Europe and North America [2020]
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑