World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 - Europe and North America [2020]

Page  Page 7 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  6  7  8  ...  19  20  Next »

Author Jurre
Partaker
#91 | Posted: 2 May 2020 20:27 
Sjobe:
Svalbard Archipelago (T) Norway

I support this one. The Arctic is not strongly represented on the WHL. The Arctic region is also a Global Priority Place ("Arctic Seas & Associated Boreal/Tundra - Protecting Arctic Environments").

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#92 | Posted: 2 May 2020 21:45 | Edited by: winterkjm 
These are the European sites that were put forward on our Top Missing List in 2014. Sites in bold have already been seconded and put forward for 2020. The remaining sites are not proposals from me, so if you wish to put any of these forward, please consider it your NEW proposal (preferably with some justification), which will need a second from another user. For example, don't say "I second ______" because you are making a new proposal, not seconding one. I just wanted to share this in order to improve on what came before.

On Tentative Lists (11)

Minoan palaces of Crete (Greece)
Neuschwanstein Castle (Germany)
Scrovegni's Chapel (Italy)
Svalbard (Norway)
Sites Mégalithiques de Carnac (France)
Petrified Forest National Park (USA)
Klondike and the Gold Rush Trails (Canada)
Westhoek: places of memory and monuments of the Great War (Belgium, France)
Chicago School of Architecture (USA)
Communist heritage of Volgograd (Russia)
Triple arch Gate at Dan & Sources of the Jordan (Israel)

Not Included on a Tentative List (30)

Historic University Towns of Oxford and Cambridge (UK)
Cultural Landscape of Santorini (Greece)
Death Valley National Park (USA)
Tran-siberian Railway (Russia)
The Soviet Architecture of Moscow (Russia)
Golden Gate Bridge (USA)
Mount Rushmore (USA)
Chernobyl (Ukraine)
Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, Frank Gehry (Spain)
Fortified City of Famagusta (Cyprus)
Tempelhof Airport, Berlin (Germany)
Olympic Park in Munich (Germany)
Divided Cities along the German Border (Germany)
Hollywood Studios & Movie Palaces (USA)
Modern Legacy of Vienna (Austria)
Palaces of Yalta (Ukraine)
Island of Inishmore (Ireland)
Forests of Southern New Caledonia (France)
Synagogue of Subotica (Serbia)
Salisbury Plains, Grytviken (UK)
Devils Island (on French Guiana) (France)
Infrastructure of the Industrial Revolution in Britain (UK)
Mammoth Bone Burials (Russia)
Lena Delta (Russia)
Tobolsk (Russia)
Ford River Rouge Complex & Highland Plant (USA)
Panorama Mesdag (Netherlands)
Drift Passes of Rangiroa, French Polynesia (France)
Taino Ceremonial site of Caguana (United States - Puerto Rico)
Diolkos: Ancient Railways (Greece)

Inscribed since 2014 [European Top Missing ]
3 Ephesus
20 Major Buildings of Frank Lloyd Wright
28 Vers une architecture: Major Buildings of Le Corbusier
45 Vatnajökull National Park
51 The Archaeological Site of Göbeklitepe
66 La Grotte ornée Chauvet - Pont d'Arc
80 Speicherstadt and Chilehaus with Kontorhaus District

*I REPEAT THESE ARE NOT PROPOSALS

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#93 | Posted: 2 May 2020 21:48 | Edited by: jonathanfr 
From France:

Abbayes de Cîteaux et de Cluny
Arc de triomphe de l'Étoile
Bagnes de Guyane et de Nouvelle-Calédonie
Basilique du Sacré-Cœur de Montmartre
Chapelle Notre-Dame-des-Fontaines de La Brigue
Château d'Angers
Château de Chantilly
Cité intra-muros de Saint-Malo
Dalle à ammonites
Église Notre-Dame de Royan
Enceinte gallo-romaine du Mans
Étretat et Giverny, lieux liés à l'impressionnisme
Filitosa
Hangar du Premier-Film
Maison de Nicéphore Niépce
Oradour-sur-Glane
Parc amazonien de Guyane
Parc national de la Guadeloupe
Parc national des Calanques
Parc naturel marin de Mayotte
Parc naturel marin d'Iroise
Roches gravées de la rivière du Plessis
Viaduc de Garabit
Vieux Toulouse
Vieux-Port de La Rochelle

Author Colvin
Partaker
#94 | Posted: 2 May 2020 22:23 | Edited by: Colvin 
nfmungard:
Reichstag, Berlin
OUV: Probably, Norman Foster's best work (so could also be redone into a serial nomination)

Best work is a bit subjective. I think Norman Foster has plenty of other works that are just as noteworthy and could warrant a serial nomination: The Gherkin, City Hall in London; the Hearst Tower in New York City; the HSBC Center in Hong Kong, and the Millau Viaduct (which could warrant a nomination on its own), amongst others. Even the new Avengers Facility in the movies is a Norman Foster work.

Philosophically, though, I'd rather give modern architects, such as Frank Gehry and Norman Foster, more time before proposing they be added onto the World Heritage Site list. I can't think of many good reasons that a serial nomination for an architect would need to be considered while they are alive and still actively building.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#95 | Posted: 2 May 2020 22:30 
winterkjm:
The remaining sites are not proposals from me, so if you wish to put any of these forward, please consider it your NEW proposal (preferably with some justification), which will need a second from another user.

Thanks for the list, winterkjm. I would note that of the ones that remain, Death Valley has been initially proposed (and is waiting a second) in this thread; I believe everything else on the list needs a first proposal.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#96 | Posted: 2 May 2020 23:43 | Edited by: winterkjm 
jonathanfr:
From France:

elsslots:
Would really like to call on all to add a reasoning behind why you propose a site, and not just dump a list. Otherwise I will not copy them anymore.

Just a reminder, Els said she would not consider long lists as proposals. This however can be used to brainstorm actual proposals, with full descriptions/justifications for OUV.

Padova Urbs Picta (possibly one of Italy's top WHS)
Volterra
Parma (I'd suggest a serial nomination of baptistries with the likes of Cremona, etc.)
Alba Fucens in Abruzzo
Aosta
La Maddalena transnational site with Corsica
Asinara
Sammezzano Castle for Moorish revival
Ascoli Piceno
Bergamo
Bologna
Rocchetta Mattei blend of eclectic styles
La Scarzuola Ideal City
Civita di Bagnoregio
Castelgandolfo
Romanesque Cathedrals of Puglia (Otranto above all)
Via Francigena

Hecate Strait and Queen Charlotte Sound Glass Sponge Reefs - Sound Glass Sponge Reefs
Antelope Canyon - One of most beautiful canyon
Petrified Forest National Park - Desert
Volcanic and forest areas of Martinique
Sites mégalithiques de Carnac -One of the largest such collection in the world
Minoan palaces of Crete 
Ancient City of Kaunos -Lycian
Wooden Roofed and Wooden Columned Mosques in Anatolia - Typical Antolian style
Oxford and Cambridge -Historic university
Vespasianus Titus Tunnel - one of the world's largest tunnels in ancient world
Mausoleum of Hecatomnus
Theatre and Aqueducts of the Ancient City of Aspendos

Els can we do the same thing for the long list of Italy sites that were shared and the other list of favorites? Not official proposals, just brainstorming? Therefore removing them from the Missing 2020 document? Exception for sites already seconded (Carnac, Oxford/Cambridge, Kaunos, Minoan Palaces, Hecate Strait, Padova).

Author elsslots
Admin
#97 | Posted: 3 May 2020 01:20 
jonathanfr:
From France:

I am sorry jonathanfr, but I cannot allow list-dumping and massive nominations from your own country. Can you select a few and elaborate?

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#98 | Posted: 3 May 2020 01:43 | Edited by: nfmungard 
I assume bold meant that they were already proposed? I think for a few we had a proposal here, too. Or it should be made clearer what the proposal was:

winterkjm:
The Soviet Architecture of Moscow (Russia) => Seven Sisters. I would rather favor Soviet Moscow than 7 Sisters, though.
Divided Cities along the German Border (Germany) =>Berlin Wall is a subset. There are more sites along the border that show the Wall.
Island of Inishmore (Ireland) => Aran Islands. Just as a clariication.

From the remaining list, I would propose:

Santorini (Greece)
Type: M
OUV: While the white houses are a rather modern invention, the whole set up with towns on the volcano slopes facing the caldera is just stunning. It's also quite a feat of human ingenuity to reuse what was once one of the largest volcanic eruptions. The overflown caldera is nice and when you see a cruise ship parked in it, you just realize the scales. Add to it an important archaeological site from the Bronze Age (Akrotiri) I think this warrants eruption.

Golden Gate Bridge (USA)
Type: C
OUV: I think everyone has seen the iconic red bridge. For 27 years it was the longest suspension bridge..
"The Frommer's travel guide describes the Golden Gate Bridge as "possibly the most beautiful, certainly the most photographed, bridge in the world."[8][9] At the time of its opening in 1937, it was both the longest and the tallest suspension bridge in the world, with a main span of 4,200 feet (1,280 m) and a total height of 746 feet (227 m)."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Gate_Bridge

Re Modern Legacy of Vienna (Austria) I assume this refers to Hundertwasser? Or what period is referred to? Plenty of modern buildings are probably in the existing core zone.

For Diolkos: Ancient Railways (Greece) I am reminded of Haithabu where it is said that they did the same thing. A railway to me, though, would entail steam, not just rolling of boats.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#99 | Posted: 3 May 2020 01:49 | Edited by: nfmungard 
Colvin:
Philosophically, though, I'd rather give modern architects, such as Frank Gehry and Norman Foster, more time before proposing they be added onto the World Heritage Site list. I can't think of many good reasons that a serial nomination for an architect would need to be considered while they are alive and still actively building.

Generally, agree re holding out. And you are also right that online people rather rave about the new stuff (Gherkin, London City Hall). To me, those are simply en vogue buildings that have not stood the test of time. The Commerzbank Tower in Frankfurt is nowadays fairly ugly. The Reichstag, meanwhile, I proposed as it's kind of urban renewal. Speaking of...

Tate Gallery, London
Type: C
OUV: Considered one if not the best example of Urban Renewal, taking a former power station and turning it into a museum. Would also start to cover Herzog & de Meuron as architects.
https://www.archdaily.com/429700/ad-classics-the-tate-modern-herzog-and-de-meuron

I think the architectural conversion of existing properties will be the lasting architectural contribution of the late 20th/early 21st century.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#100 | Posted: 3 May 2020 01:56 | Edited by: nfmungard 
Colvin:
One could say the same about the Antonine Wall in Scotland, or the Roman limes that are being proposed. And the point of preserving some sections of the wall, as has been done with the three sites I mentioned, is to serve as a reminder for what had existed.

Disagree. While on the Antoine's Wall there aren't any fortifications left, you can still walk along the whole stretch of the wall in Scotland. It gives you a pretty good feeling for the scope of the operation. Even more so, if you go to the best example, Hadrian's wall has plenty of stone structures and again, you can walk it and will get a feeling for the size and effort. For the Berlin wall, you can follow markers in the ground and get to the parts they left intact which has a museum feeling to it.

And bringing up Romain remains that are nearly two millennia old vs structures that were down within a decade seems a bit unbalanced ;)

Colvin:
Using this guidance I've been reluctant to put forward more nominations for the United States, although I fully believe there are more quality sites that could be worthy. I'm still waiting to see if anyone will propose sites associated with early aviation (Dayton Aviation Sites and Kitty Hawk) and spaceflight (Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and the Kennedy Space Center).

The airplane part for some reason doesn't entice me. Cape Canaveral meanwhile should probably get a proposal, but not sure how historic it is.

Colvin:
As much as I like the Trans-Siberian Railway (I enjoyed a trip across it from Moscow to Vladivostok several years ago; it was memorable), I do think that sites associated with the Pacific Railroad,

Was going to propose the Pacific Railroad myself and I think you neatly made the case. However, please list a few places where there are tangible remains. Even for my low standards (google old pubs uk and see plenty of pictures), I was at a loss for historic remnants of the original Union Pacific.

Re Transsib, also less enthusiastic here. It's not in the early days of the railway, the Russians led by Witte were playing catch up. I would want to see what actual engineering feats it achieved, so a proper proposal should be drafted.

Author Assif
Partaker
#101 | Posted: 3 May 2020 02:03 | Edited by: Assif 
winterkjm:
Salisbury Plains, Grytviken (UK)

This is a part of seconded South Georgia Island.

nfmungard:
Re Transsib, also less enthusiastic here. It's not in the early days of the railway, the Russians led by Witte were playing catch up. I would want to see what actual engineering feats it achieved, so a proper proposal should be drafted.

I do not know enough about railway history, but I think that the harsh climate in Siberia did bring about special challenges.
https://www.wondersofworldengineering.com/trans-siberian-railway.html

nfmungard:
Even for my low standards (google old pubs uk and see plenty of pictures), I was at a loss for historic remnants of the original Union Pacific.

From Wiki:
Visible remains of the historic line are still easily located—hundreds of miles are still in service today, especially through the Sierra Nevada Mountains and canyons in Utah and Wyoming. While the original rail has long since been replaced because of age and wear, and the roadbed upgraded and repaired, the lines generally run on top of the original, handmade grade. Vista points on Interstate 80 through California's Truckee Canyon provide a panoramic view of many miles of the original Central Pacific line and of the snow sheds which made winter train travel safe and practical.

I would back such a proposal.

nfmungard:
Santorini (Greece)

nfmungard:
Golden Gate Bridge (USA)

nfmungard:
Tate Gallery, London

I also support these three.

Author Assif
Partaker
#102 | Posted: 3 May 2020 04:04 | Edited by: Assif 
I would like to resubmit the following proposals from our last top missing project:

Site: Chernobyl Exclusion Zone
TWHS: no
Description: The Chernobyl Exclusion Zone is an officially designated exclusion zone around the site of the Chernobyl nuclear reactor disaster 0f 1986. The Exclusion Zone covers an area of approximately 2,600 km2 (1,000 sq mi) in Ukraine immediately surrounding the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant where radioactive contamination from nuclear fallout is highest and public access and inhabitation are restricted. The power plant and the nearby planned city of Pripyat were immediately abandoned and are well preserved examples of life during the Communist era.
Despite the negative effect of the disaster on human life, many scientists see a likely beneficial effect to the ecosystem. Though the immediate and subsequent effects were devastating, the area quickly recovered and is today seen as very healthy. The lack of people in the area is another factor that has been named as helping to increase the biodiversity of the Exclusion Zone in the years since the disaster. The impact of radiation on individual animals has not been studied, but cameras in the area have captured evidence of a resurgence of the mammalian population – including rare animals such as the lynx and the vulnerable European bison.
Criteria: mixed

Site: Famagusta
Description: During the medieval period (especially under the maritime republics of Genoa and Venice), Famagusta was the island's most important port city and a gateway to trade with the ports of the Levant, from where the Silk Road merchants carried their goods to Western Europe. Famagusta's historic city centre is surrounded by the fortifications of Famagusta, which have a roughly rectangular shape, built mainly by the Venetians in the 15th and 16th centuries, though some sections of the walls have been dated earlier times, as far as 1211.
Criteria: cultural
Comparative analysis: Rhodes

Site: Ford River Rouge Complex
Description: The Ford River Rouge Complex is a Ford Motor Company automobile factory complex located in Dearborn, Michigan, along the River Rouge. Construction began in 1917, and when it was completed in 1928, it was the largest integrated factory in the world. Designed by Albert Kahn, the Rouge was designated as a National Historic Landmark District in 1978 for its architecture and historical importance to the industry and economy of the United States.

Site: Tempelhof Airport
Description: Tempelhof was one of Europe's three iconic pre-World War II airports, the others being London's now defunct Croydon Airport and the old Paris–Le Bourget Airport. Its construction started in 1923 and massively extended under the Nazi regime. It acquired a further iconic status as the centre of the Berlin Airlift of 1948–49. It was of the first commercial airports worldwide and one of the largest buildings in the world at the time of its construction. One of the airport's most distinctive features is its massive, canopy-style roof extending over the apron.

Site: Olympia Park, Munich
Description: Olympia Park is an Olympic Park which was constructed for the 1972 Summer Olympics. It serves as an exceptional example of the application of democratic values to the design of a modern architectural ensemble. It was revolutionary in its adherence to modern design principles to sport facilities. In addition to the sport venues, the olympic villages and the connecting garden landscape are preserved.

Site: Caguana
Description: Studies estimate Caguana is over 800 years old, built by the Taíno around 1270 AD. Approximately 30 ball courts (bateyes) have been identified and many have been restored to their original state. The game of batey is believed to have originated in Mesoamerica and is said to have been played in Cuba, Jamaica, Hispaniola, the Bahamas and the Virgin Islands. Monoliths and petroglyphs carved by the Taínos can be seen among the rocks and stones, some weighing over a ton, that were most likely brought from the Tanama River located adjacent to the site. Also located near the site is the Cemí Mountain (Montaña Cemí) which was believed, by the Taínos, to be the home of their gods and the reason they built the ball courts in that area.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#103 | Posted: 3 May 2020 04:56 
Assif:
Chernobyl Exclusion Zone

I would second this. Primarily, for the international cooperation afterwards to clean this up. Not fully convinced we made the right conclusions re nuclear technology from Chernobyl.

Assif:
Site: Ford River Rouge Complex

Yes. But was hoping more for the original T-Model factory line.

Author Walter
Partaker
#104 | Posted: 3 May 2020 05:14 
I seconds this site
Vardzia-Khertvisi (T) Georgia

Author Sjobe
Partaker
#105 | Posted: 3 May 2020 06:23 
elsslots:
Would really like to call on all to add a reasoning behind why you propose a site, and not just dump a list. Otherwise I will not copy them anymore.

FYI, I added some text to every site I have proposed (Nordic Countries, Turkey, others), which make them "official proposals", and they can be considered.

By the way, I found summarising (copy-pasting) OUV to a couple of lines very difficult. In a complex sites these few lines can seem very underwhelming. I prefer that people provide good links and sources from where everyone can study each site with all the details.

Page  Page 7 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  6  7  8  ...  19  20  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 - Europe and North America [2020]
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑