World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 - Europe and North America [2020]

Page  Page 6 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  5  6  7  ...  19  20  Next »

Author Assif
Partaker
#76 | Posted: 2 May 2020 15:36 | Edited by: Assif 
winterkjm:
The Badlands have been seconded and while Carrizo Plain is quite different, I am not sure both would be Top Missing?

I thought Carrizo Plain would be the best natural site to fill the gap of "California Shrubland" mentioned in IUCN gap study. Would you have an alternative suggestion?

Author Colvin
Partaker
#77 | Posted: 2 May 2020 15:45 | Edited by: Colvin 
nfmungard:
The whole size of it (the Berlin Wall) is hard to fathom if you see stretches of a few hundred meters.

One could say the same about the Antonine Wall in Scotland, or the Roman limes that are being proposed. And the point of preserving some sections of the wall, as has been done with the three sites I mentioned, is to serve as a reminder for what had existed.

I think the recommended sites I included all would play a part in telling the story of the Cold War from the perspective of the division between East and West (the preserved wall sections and Checkpoint Charlie) and the reunification that occurred at the end of the Cold War (the Brandenburg Gate).

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#78 | Posted: 2 May 2020 15:47 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Assif:
I thought Carrizo Plain would be the best natural site to fill the gap of "California Shrubland" mentioned in IUCN gap study. Would you have an alternative suggestion?

You are right its the best. Granted, it has some weaknesses. I just wanted to share some information, both some pro's and con's and how at least a small part of the site is already seconded. I will leave it for the rest of the community here to decide if they wish to second it or not. I feel I am too biased for this site, I would love to see it inscribed, its a favorite day trip of mine from LA.

Author Assif
Partaker
#79 | Posted: 2 May 2020 15:51 
Jurre:
If English pubs are accepted, what stops Italy from proposing its pizzerias, Turkey and Austria its coffee houses, Spain its tapas bars?

I think the difference lies in the age and preservation. If another country could present similar sites I would accept them too.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#80 | Posted: 2 May 2020 16:42 
Assif:
I think the difference lies in the age and preservation. If another country could present similar sites I would accept them too.

Problem is, none with age and preservation level have been proposed.

I could nominate Austrian coffee houses too, and call it a day.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#81 | Posted: 2 May 2020 16:47 | Edited by: nfmungard 
Jurre:
This is the same discussion as with the Japanese bath houses or onsens, of which was also questioned if they merit a place on the WHL. I doubt they will make it on the final list as well.

It's not. Finding a traditional, medieval Onsen is hard if not impossible. Finding a medieval pub in UK is fairly easy.

For London: https://secretldn.com/oldest-pubs-in-london/
For UK: https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2017/10/the-15-oldest-pubs-in-the-uk-ranked-according-to-their-claims/

Jurre:

As stated, I don't see why we can't brainstorm.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#82 | Posted: 2 May 2020 16:48 | Edited by: winterkjm 
In less than a day, 50 approved proposals. I may have missed a site or two, but it may help to see what is already seconded. Later on I'll organize sites that were proposed, but not yet seconded.

Here is the Missing 2020 list, which is mostly up-to-date for the Europe and North America region.

Belarus 1
- Postwar Minsk
Belgium 1
- First World War Funeral and Memorial Sites (Front Quest)
Canada 3
- Quttinirpaaq National Park
- Hecate Strait and Queen Charlotte Sound Glass Sponge Reefs
- Lake Superior National Marine Conservation Area (transnational)
Finland 1
- The Architectural Works of Alvar Aalto
France 6
- Marine Ecosystems of the Comoros Archipelago
- Lakes of the Great New Caledonian
- Sites of the Lapita culture (serial, transnational)
- Marquesas Archipelago Marine Reserve
- First World War Funeral and Memorial Sites (Front Quest)
- Megalithic Sites of Carnac
Germany 1
- Dreams in Stone – the palaces of King Ludwig II of Bavaria: Neuschwanstein, Linderhof and Herrenchiemsee
Greece 1
- Minoan Palaces of Crete
Ireland 2
- Aran Islands
- The Monastic City of Clonmacnoise and its Cultural Landscape
Israel 1
- Desert kites of the Middle East
Italy 2
- Padova Urbs Picta
- Salento and the "Barocco Leccese"
Norway 1
- The Lofoten Islands
Portugal 1
- Southwest Alentejo and Costa Vicentina
Russia 8
- Vainakh Towers
- Kapova Cave (Shulgan-Tash)
- Moscow Metro Stations
- Tobolsk
- Trans-Siberian Railway
- Lena River Delta
- The Great Vasyugan Mire
- Land of the Leopards National Park
Turkey 2
- Ancient City of Kaunos
- Harran
United Kingdom 4
- Chagos Marine Protected Area
- Historic Centre of York
- South Georgia Island
- Oxford and Cambridge Historic Universities
United States 15
- Heritage of the Hawaiian Kingdom
- Ancestral Lands of the Diné: Canyon de Chelly & Monument Valley
- Coso Rock Art District
- Rock Art of the Chumash People
- Bodie Historic District
- Case Study Houses in Los Angeles
- California Current Conservation Complex
- Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park
- Badlands National Park: A North American Prairie
- Early Chicago Skyscrapers
- Ice Age Floods National Geologic Trail
- New York Skyscrapers
- History of Film: Hollywood & Movie Palaces on Broadway in Los Angeles
- Arches National Park
- Lake Superior National Marine Conservation Area (transnational)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#83 | Posted: 2 May 2020 16:57 
nfmungard:
It's not. Finding a traditional, medieval Onsen is hard if not impossible. Finding a medieval pub in UK is fairly easy.

https://travel.rakuten.com/campaign/ranking/yukeibunkazai/bungou/

Author Colvin
Partaker
#84 | Posted: 2 May 2020 17:02 
Sjobe:
The Lofoten islands (T) Norway

I'll give a second to this one. In addition to their natural beauty and their Iron Age and Viking Age history, these islands are home to the world's largest deep water coral reef, the Røst Reef, as well as mainland Europe's largest seabird colony.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#85 | Posted: 2 May 2020 17:14 | Edited by: winterkjm 
nfmungard:
As stated, I don't see why we can't brainstorm.

Jurre:

Pubs of the UK and Ireland

This perhaps can be a worthwhile nomination, but as its still in the works, let's not count it as quite ready for the spotlight yet. Perhaps those interested (and Meltwaterfalls?) in the next coming days can make a serial nomination proposal?

Author Jurre
Partaker
#86 | Posted: 2 May 2020 17:25 | Edited by: Jurre 
Full name of site: Land of the Leopard National Park
TWHS?: no
Short description of site: (Wikipedia) Land of the Leopard National Park is a national park in the Russian Far East. It was established in 2012 to protect the Amur leopard which was at the time the world's rarest cat with an estimated population of 30 individuals and the only wild Amur leopard population in the world. Apart from the Amur leopard, the Siberian tiger, Eurasian lynx and 54 mammal species live in the park. The black vulture is among the 184 bird species recorded. It is also in the Global priority place "Amur-Heilong - Refuge for Amur leopard and tiger".
Criteria: Natural
Outstanding universal value / comparative analysis: Virunga National Park, Sichuan Giant Panda Sanctuaries - Wolong, Mt Siguniang and Jiajin Mountains

Author Assif
Partaker
#87 | Posted: 2 May 2020 17:55 
Jurre:
I could nominate Austrian coffee houses too, and call it a day.

Most, if not all of them are already inscribed under Vienna or Salzburg WHS.

Author Assif
Partaker
#88 | Posted: 2 May 2020 18:07 
winterkjm:
I may have missed a site or two

Alvro Aalto (Finland) and Harran (Turkey) are two sites I seconded.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#89 | Posted: 2 May 2020 19:00 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Land of the Leopard National Park (Russia)

Jurre:
Apart from the Amur leopard, the Siberian tiger, Eurasian lynx and 54 mammal species live in the park.

The best hope for long time survival of the Amur Leopard and Siberian Tiger in the wild is demarcating new reserves in the Russian Far East and northern China. Conservationists in the region believe that these species could even be re-introduced to areas where they are now considered extinct, including the Korean Peninsula (particularly in the mountainous border region between the DPRK, China, and Russia). My full support is given (with one caveat if a more exceptional, larger reserve in the region is discovered by our community, I would then support that over, or in addition to the "Land of the Leopard"). The fact that this national park is located less than 2 hours from Vladivostok, really makes me want to jump on a ship from Donghae Ferry Terminal in South Korea and head to the Russian Far East (takes about 1 day and there is typically only one ferry per week) the next time I'm in the country.

Assif:
two sites I seconded

Now updated, thanks.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#90 | Posted: 2 May 2020 19:49 | Edited by: Colvin 
elsslots:
Can we try to limit the number of patriotic proposals (e.g. sites from the country you live in)?

Using this guidance I've been reluctant to put forward more nominations for the United States, although I fully believe there are more quality sites that could be worthy. I'm still waiting to see if anyone will propose sites associated with early aviation (Dayton Aviation Sites and Kitty Hawk) and spaceflight (Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and the Kennedy Space Center).

As much as I like the Trans-Siberian Railway (I enjoyed a trip across it from Moscow to Vladivostok several years ago; it was memorable), I do think that sites associated with the Pacific Railroad, aka the First Transcontinental Railroad or the Overland Route, which was completed in 1869, are more significant. The railroad facilitated international trade, allowing goods from East Asia to arrive on the East Coast of the United States much quicker than by sea voyages alone, and increased national commerce, so that by the 1890's, the US had the largest economy in the world (this period was known as the Gilded Age). The railroad also instituted the use of time zones into the United States and Canada, and became the primary means of establishing telegraph lines across the US, improving telecommunications across a continent. For engineering significance, the railroad pioneered the global use of snow sheds, which protect rail lines from avalanches and provide passage year-round through passes where snow may otherwise be challenging to remove. In popular culture, the US Transcontinental Railroad was one of the main inspirations for Jules Verne's Around the World in Eighty Days. But, since this is a US site, I'll leave it to someone not from the US to determine whether there is a worthy nomination here or not.

Page  Page 6 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  5  6  7  ...  19  20  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 - Europe and North America [2020]
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑