World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 - Europe and North America [2020]

Page  Page 4 of 20:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  17  18  19  20  Next »

Author Jurre
Partaker
#46 | Posted: 2 May 2020 10:02 | Edited by: Jurre 
Even if it is a proposal for my home country Belgium, I do feel it belongs on the WHL. It was also on the missing list of 2014.

Full name of site: Sites funéraires et mémoriels de la Première Guerre mondiale (Front Ouest) (BE) (FR)
TWHS?: yes (see title)
Short description of site: The site comprises a number of funerary and memorial sites of the First World War, on the Western Front, which goes from the North Sea to the Franco-Swiss border. The sites have been constructed during or after the First World War. There are 105 elements in total (80 in France, 25 in Belgium). The sites are a testimony of the numerous nationalities and peoples implicated in this conflict, that constitutes a major breaking point in the world's history. They are also a testimony to the geographical extension of this conflict and, in general, a testimony of the foolishness of war and its human tragedy.
Criteria: Cultural
Outstanding universal value / comparative analysis: Auschwitz Birkenau

Author Assif
Partaker
#47 | Posted: 2 May 2020 10:03 | Edited by: Assif 
Sjobe:
Ancient City of Kaunos (T) Turkey

I second this for the massive Lycian rock-cut tombs. Anatolian cultures are underrepresented (same is true for Harran as well).

kkanekahn:
Hecate Strait and Queen Charlotte Sound Glass Sponge Reefs - Sound Glass Sponge Reefs

Glass sponge reefs spanned the Tethys Sea (now central Europe), but disappeared from the fossil record 40 million years ago. This is the largest concentration of these sponges. It is also very deep and in cold water, which sets it aside from other reefs on the list.

kkanekahn:
Oxford and Cambridge -Historic university

Certainly.

Jurre:
Sites funéraires et mémoriels de la Première Guerre mondiale (Front Ouest)

For its huge influence on memorial culture worldwide.

kkanekahn:
Minoan palaces of Crete 

A major culture in antiquity with large influence on later Greece culture. Moreover, an important site in the history of archaeology.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#48 | Posted: 2 May 2020 10:04 
Assif:
Site: South Georgia Island

Assif:
Site: Marquesas Archipelago Marine Reserve

Seconded.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#49 | Posted: 2 May 2020 10:18 
Full name of site: Dreams in Stone – the palaces of King Ludwig II of Bavaria: Neuschwanstein, Linderhof and Herrenchiemsee
TWHS?: yes (see title)
Short description of site: (Unesco) King Ludwig II of Bavaria put his idealized vision of his role as king into practice, with Neuschwanstein Castle and the palaces of Linderhof and Herrenchiemsee in their unspoilt natural settings. The monarch created artificial alternative worlds in which he could immerse himself in far-distant places and past eras. The worldwide fame and lasting attractiveness of Ludwig II's castle and palaces, not only for people from the European cultural region, show that these buildings have become universal icons of the fairy-tale world, independently of their historical and local significance. The palaces have influenced world art and literature, and also film and television in the 20th century, and, most famously, Neuschwanstein served as a model for Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#50 | Posted: 2 May 2020 11:46 | Edited by: Jurre 
Full name of site: Death Valley National Park
TWHS?: no
Short description of site: (Wikipedia) Death Valley National Park occupies an interface zone between the arid Great Basin and Mojave deserts, protecting the northwest corner of the Mojave Desert and its diverse environment of salt-flats, sand dunes, badlands, valleys, canyons, and mountains. The park is home to many species of plants and animals that have adapted to this harsh desert environment. Some examples include creosote bush, bighorn sheep, coyote, and the Death Valley pupfish, a survivor from much wetter times. UNESCO included Death Valley as the principal feature of its Mojave and Colorado Deserts Biosphere Reserve in 1984. The natural environment of the area has been shaped largely by its geology. The valley is actually a graben with the oldest rocks being extensively metamorphosed and at least 1.7 billion years old. Racetrack Playa is one of the more iconic sights in Death Valley. It is a scenic dry lake feature with "sailing stones" that inscribe linear "racetrack" imprints.
Four Native American cultures are known to have lived in the area during the last 10,000 years. The Saratoga Spring People left mysterious stone patterns in the valley.
Criteria: Mixed

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#51 | Posted: 2 May 2020 11:49 
Jurre:
: Dreams in Stone – the palaces of King Ludwig II of Bavaria: Neuschwanstein, Linderhof and Herrenchiemsee

Second this

Author elsslots
Admin
#52 | Posted: 2 May 2020 11:54 
Assif:
nfmungard:
Pubs of the UK and Ireland

This idea has my full support. It is original and convincing.

Would like to see some more specifics, what are people voting for?

Author elsslots
Admin
#53 | Posted: 2 May 2020 11:56 
Would really like to call on all to add a reasoning behind why you propose a site, and not just dump a list. Otherwise I will not copy them anymore.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#54 | Posted: 2 May 2020 12:14 | Edited by: winterkjm 
winterkjm:
Full Name of Site: Rock Art of the Chumash People
TWHS? No
Short description of site: Serial nomination of 3 outstanding sites. 1) Painted Rock is a free-standing rock on the Carrizo Plain near the Sierra Madre Mountains at the southern tip of the Great Central Valley. 2) Pleito Cave (Wind Wolves): Within the Main Cave of the site, there are 12 multi-colored, or polychrome, panels comprising many hundreds of individual elements with likely the greatest intensity of superimposed painting of any pictograph site on the North American continent. It is for this reason that the famous rock-art researcher Campbell Grant (1978: 532) described the site as the "finest example of prehistoric rock art in the United States." Chumash rock art depicts images like humans, animals, celestial bodies, and other (at times ambiguous) shapes and patterns. The colors of the paintings vary as well, from red or black monochromes (different shades of a single color) to elaborate polychromes (many various colors). 3) Chumash Painted Cave State Historic Park: The walls of this small cave carved from towering sandstone boulders contain some of the finest remaining rock art created by Chumash Native Americans. 
Resources: Flickr Album, Rock Art of the Chumash People (Wikipedia), Chumash Painted Cave 3D Modeling
Outstanding universal value / comparative analysis: Rock Paintings of the Sierra de San Francisco (Mexico), Zuojiang Huashan Rock Art Cultural Landscape (China)

Assif:
Site: Carrizo Plain
TWHS: no
Description: The Carrizo Plain is a large enclosed grassland plain, approximately 50 miles (80 km) long and up to 15 miles (24 km) across, in California. It would be the only representation of the Californian shrubland known for its floral biodiversity and its superbloom. It was supposed to be included in the new American tentative list, but opposition expressed by some of the locals prevented its inclusion. Its preservation is threatened by petroleum production and grazing.
Criteria: natural

A little bit of overlap. My proposal "Rock Art of the Chumash People" includes Painted Rock which is located at the heart of Carrizo Plain National Monument. On a personal level, I love Carrizo Plain and I have visited and re-visited this remote National Monument at least 4 times. Here is my Flickr Album that shows some of the highlights. However, I hesitated to propose this site for 2 reasons. Ranchers in the area have grazing rights in large areas of the park, which was a compromise I don't think BLM should make. Depending on the time of year, cattle and what they leave behind can be a nuisance. Second, when this was discussed (on occasion) to be added to the US Tentative List over the last 20 years, it was usually proposed as a mixed site, because if its historic importance to the Chumash people in addition to its important habitat values. Therefore, I settled on the exceptional nature of "Painted Rock" as a sacred landscape included with two other major Chumash pictographs sites. The Badlands have been seconded and while Carrizo Plain is quite different, I am not sure both would be Top Missing? My proposal did not follow the National Monument boundaries and would be limited to the area of Painted Rock, which can only be accessed by organized tour or by a reserved key code (emailed to you by park staff), depending on the season.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#55 | Posted: 2 May 2020 12:29 | Edited by: Colvin 
When we were discussing sites in the Asia-Pacific region, some folks asked whether there were any sites that would represent the Cold War well. For me, the best site representing the 20th century Cold War is in this Europe-North America region:

Full Name of Site: The Berlin Wall
TWHS? No
Short description of site: The Berlin Wall was the physical manifestation of the Iron Curtain that divided politically non-aligned western and eastern Europe through over forty years in the 20th century. The wall was constructed in 1961 by the Soviet Union and East Germany in order to prevent emigration to West Berlin, an enclave controlled by US, French, and British forces and surrounded by East Germany. The wall was also intended to protect East German citizens from influence from the West. The Wall fell and was was reopened in 1989, and became the symbolic site of the fall of communist policies and ideology in Eastern Europe between 1989 and 1991. Recommended sites for inclusion include the three largest extant sections of the wall: the East Side Gallery, the Berlin Wall Memorial on Bernauer Straße, and a section adjacent the Topography of Terror; the most famous official border crossing between East and West Berlin, Checkpoint Charlie; and the iconic backdrop to the fall of the Berlin Wall, the Brandenburg Gate.

Outstanding universal value / comparative analysis: The Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin; Kremlin and Red Square, Moscow; Auschwitz Birkenau

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#56 | Posted: 2 May 2020 12:34 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Jurre:
Sites funéraires et mémoriels de la Première Guerre mondiale (Front Ouest)

I think in addition to your information, Meltwaterfalls elegantly argued for this nomination in the past and both of you persuade me that it "might" deserve inscription. However, monuments/memorials connected to world wars must be inscribed with caution, because it could create a terrible precedent. I have heard explanations how this site does not glorify the war or even the sacrifice, but I would be hesitant to see such a nomination be approved because what might be inscribed afterward. Either way, I don't think it meets "Top Missing" criteria.

From Solivigant's Review

"So, is a site of War Memorials and Cemeteries appropriate as a WHS? I personally felt that those described above were pretty non triumphant and even-handed in the treatment of different races and creeds. They also largely avoided nationalistic statements and posturing." . . . "perhaps I am biased in finding them "tasteful" and acceptable in these respects. If I look at other T List memorial sites I personally begin to find what I instinctively regard as less "acceptable" aspects – which turn (or at least begin to do so) the sites from a universal human statement of horror and grief into something more overtly nationalistic. From significant "Flag flying" - Gallipoli is dominated by what might be the World's largest Turkish flag - through to Stalingrad's Soviet style "Motherland Calls" statue. I don't dispute the right of those countries to commemorate their dead in those more overtly patriotic ways but do suggest that, in so doing, they could thereby exclude themselves from consideration as WHS. But, if the Belgian and French nominations are accepted, can Gallipoli really be excluded – and then, what about Stalingrad? Can it really be held that the Western Font memorials have achieved "universality" as anti-war statements without also being statements of victory and nationalism and, as a result, are more worthy of inscription than the potentially long list of other, rather more divisive, war memorial sites which could be brought forward?"

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#57 | Posted: 2 May 2020 12:36 
Jurre:
Assif:
Site: Pazyryk burial sites

The Wikipedia article mentions it is already part of the "Golden Mountains of Altai" WHS. The nomination file mentions them as well.

But only in the buffer zone, as stated by the text on the TWHS page?

I think an extension to inscribe this site would be appropriate, but not "Top Missing".

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#58 | Posted: 2 May 2020 12:42 | Edited by: winterkjm 
nfmungard:
Bryce Canyon, USA, UT
OUV: Iconic stone structures. Navajo history.
"Bryce is distinctive due to geological structures called hoodoos, formed by frost weathering and stream erosion of the river and lake bed sedimentary rocks. The red, orange, and white colors of the rocks provide spectacular views for park visitors. Bryce Canyon National Park is much smaller, and sits at a much higher elevation than nearby Zion National Park. The rim at Bryce varies from 8,000 to 9,000 feet (2,400 to 2,700 m)."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryce_Canyon_National_Park

Zion Canyon, USA, UT
OUV: Navajo history. "Located at the junction of the Colorado Plateau, Great Basin, and Mojave Desert regions, the park has a unique geography and a variety of life zones that allow for unusual plant and animal diversity. Numerous plant species as well as 289 species of birds, 75 mammals (including 19 species of bat), and 32 reptiles inhabit the park's four life zones: desert, riparian, woodland, and coniferous forest. Zion National Park includes mountains, canyons, buttes, mesas, monoliths, rivers, slot canyons, and natural arches."
"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zion_National_Park

Arches National Park, USA, UT
OUV: Iconic Arches and the most natural arches world wide.
"Arches National Park is a national park in eastern Utah, United States. The park is adjacent to the Colorado River, 4 miles (6 km) north of Moab, Utah. More than 2,000 natural sandstone arches are located in the park, including the well-known Delicate Arch, as well as a variety of unique geological resources and formations. The park contains the highest density of natural arches in the world.[3][4]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arches_National_Park

I might support any one of these parks individually (natural criteria), but there is no way all 3 should be inscribed. I think nfmungard and others here (if inclined) should pick what would be the representative site for this region and support that. While there are some minor Native American sites spread out amongst these parks, it would not be enough to argue for a mixed criteria, nor is there any particularly strong connotation to the Navajo. Various tribes have inhabited these regions, but none of these sites match the cultural value of (Mesa Verde, Chaco Canyon, Canyon de Chelly, Taos Pueblo).

Author Colvin
Partaker
#59 | Posted: 2 May 2020 12:49 
winterkjm:
there is no way all 3 should be inscribed

As a counterpart, cathedrals and medieval old towns in Europe :-) That said, I agree with you on this; the desert landscape of Utah is spectacular, but really only one of these should probably serve as representation for the region. Also, there is an absolutely world-class World Heritage Site not far to the south, the Grand Canyon, which is already inscribed.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#60 | Posted: 2 May 2020 12:57 | Edited by: winterkjm 
nfmungard:
Scottish Castles, UK
The Scottish Highlands are covered by clan castles. Most prominent Eilean Donan Castle. But plenty to choose from.
https://historiceuropeancastles.com/best-castles-in-the-highlands-scotland/

Castles are well-represented, though a serial nomination of the best in Scotland may be worthy of inscription. Though I daresay not "Top Missing".

nfmungard:
Aran Islands, Ireland
OUV: Stunning island landscape facing the Atlanic with Dun Aonghasa the most notable tangible heritage.

Clonmacnoise, Ireland
OUV: Most iconic Irish monastery ruin. Stunning.

I would support both of these Ireland proposals, not only does the country have surprisingly few WHS's, these sites would really add to the list.

Clonmacnoise is a tentative nomination called:
The Monastic City of Clonmacnoise and its Cultural Landscape - the tentative nomination page is 100% approval with 7 votes.

"It represents a significant stage in the development of early medieval Christianity in the North Atlantic."

Page  Page 4 of 20:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  17  18  19  20  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 - Europe and North America [2020]
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑