World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 - Europe and North America [2020]

Page  Page 17 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  16  17  18  19  20  Next »

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#241 | Posted: 10 May 2020 15:55 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Here is the Missing 2020 list so far. One week left for this region.

Armenia 1
- Areni Cave / Historical remains of Areni
Azerbaijan 1
- Mud Volcanoes of Azerbaijan
Belarus 2
- Postwar Minsk
- Chernobyl Exclusion Zone + Polesie State Radioecological Reserve
Belgium 1
- First World War Funeral and Memorial Sites (Front Quest)
Canada 8
- Quttinirpaaq National Park
- Hecate Strait and Queen Charlotte Sound Glass Sponge Reefs
- Sirmilik National Park and Tallurutiup Imanga
- Bay of Fundy
- Lake Superior National Marine Conservation Area (transnational)
- Ivvavik / Vuntut / Herschel Island (Qikiqtaruk) and Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (transnational)
- Fur Trading Centers of the Northwest (transnational)
- The Transatlantic Telegraph Route: Valentia Island to Heart's Content (transnational)
Finland 1
- The Architectural Works of Alvar Aalto
France 7
- Marine Ecosystems of the Comoros Archipelago
- Lakes of the Great New Caledonian
- Sites of the Lapita culture (serial, transnational)
- Marquesas Archipelago Marine Reserve
- First World War Funeral and Memorial Sites (Front Quest)
- Megalithic Sites of Carnac
- Volcanic and forest areas of Martinique
Georgia 1
- Vardzia-Khertvisi
Germany 2
- Dreams in Stone – the palaces of King Ludwig II of Bavaria: Neuschwanstein, Linderhof and Herrenchiemsee
- Berlin Wall
Greece 2
- Minoan Palaces of Crete
- Santorini
Ireland 4
- Aran Islands
- The Monastic City of Clonmacnoise and its Cultural Landscape
- The Transatlantic Telegraph Route: Valentia Island to Heart's Content (transnational)
- Pubs of the UK and Ireland (transnational)
Israel 1
- Desert kites of the Middle East
Italy 2
- Padova Urbs Picta
- Salento and the "Barocco Leccese"
Lithuania 1
- Kaunas 1919-1939: The Capital Inspired by the Modern Movement
Norway 2
- The Lofoten Islands
- Svalbard Archipelago
Portugal 1
- Southwest Alentejo and Costa Vicentina
Russia 14
- Arkaim
- Vainakh Towers
- Kapova Cave (Shulgan-Tash)
- Moscow Metro Stations
- Tobolsk
- Trans-Siberian Railway
- Lena River Delta
- The Great Vasyugan Mire
- Land of the Leopards National Park
- Lower Amur River Basin
- Volga Delta
- Russian Arctic
- Bering Strait - Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge and Commander Islands (transnational)
- Early Space Launch Facilities of the 20th Century (transnational)
Spain 1
- Madrid's Baroque centre
Turkey 6
- Ancient City of Kaunos
- Harran
- Iznik
- Vespasianus Titus Tunnel
- Theatre and Aqueducts of the Ancient City of Aspendos
- Konya-A Capital of Seljuk Civilization
Ukraine 3
- Chernobyl Exclusion Zone + Polesie State Radioecological Reserve
- Cultural Landscape of Canyon in Kamenets-Podilsk
- Odessa
United Kingdom 10
- Chagos Marine Protected Area
- Historic Centre of York
- South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands Marine Protected Area
- Oxford and Cambridge Historic Universities
- Tate Gallery, London
- Bermuda Blue Halo Marine Reserve
- Birth of the Football Stadium: Sports architecture of Archibald Leitch
- Falklands Conservation Area
- Inns of Court
- Pubs of the UK and Ireland (transnational)
United States 33
- Heritage of the Hawaiian Kingdom
- Ancestral Lands of the Diné: Canyon de Chelly & Monument Valley
- Coso Rock Art District
- Rock Art of the Chumash People
- Bodie Historic District
- Case Study Houses in Los Angeles
- Early Chicago Skyscrapers
- Hoover Dam
- Golden Gate Bridge
- New York Skyscrapers
- History of Film: Hollywood & Movie Palaces on Broadway in Los Angeles
- First Transcontinental Railroad
- Temple Square, Salt Lake City
- Ford Plant Ensemble: Birth of the Automotive Industry
- Eastern State Penitentiary
- Quincy Mine
- Tevatron
- California Current Conservation Complex
- Alaka'i Swamp
- Ice Age Floods National Geologic Trail
- Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge
- Marianas Trench Marine National Monument
- Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park
- Arches National Park
- Badlands National Park
- Petrified Forest National Park
- White Sands National Park
- Death Valley National Park
- Mojave Desert: Death Valley & Joshua Tree National Park
- Ivvavik / Vuntut / Herschel Island (Qikiqtaruk) and Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (transnational)
- Lake Superior National Marine Conservation Area (transnational)
- Bering Strait - Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge and Commander Islands (transnational)
- Early Space Launch Facilities of the 20th Century (transnational)
- Fur Trading Centers of the Northwest (transnational)

Pending further Discussion Editing?
- Quincy Mine vs. Keweenaw National Historical Park
- Mojave Desert: Death Valley & Joshua Tree National Park vs. Death Valley National Park vs. Mojave and Colorado Deserts (7 serial components)
- The Transatlantic Telegraph Route: Valentia Island to Heart's Content (transnational) vs. Heart's Content Cable Station (Canada)

*links direct you to threads of discussion around editing a nomination or expressions of weak components

Resources for US Proposals
Resources for Canada Proposals
Resources for Arctic and the High Seas

Awaiting Possible Inscription (Advisory Body evaluations forthcoming in about 10 days)
Padova Urbs Picta

Madrid's Baroque centre

Author watkinstravel
Partaker
#242 | Posted: 10 May 2020 17:13 
winterkjm:
The Royal Sites of Ireland: Cashel, Dún Ailinne, Hill of Uisneach, Rathcroghan Complex, and Tara Complex (Ireland)

I second this.

winterkjm:
Seven Sisters (Russia)

I'll second this but it needs a more descriptive name maybe.

winterkjm:
French Quarter of New Orleans (USA)

Seconding this.

winterkjm:
Bryce Canyon, USA, UT (USA)
Zion Canyon, USA, UT (USA)

Wasn't there talk of combining these possibly with others nearby? I'd prefer it that way and don't see why not. If we are going the single route then I'll second Bryce Canyon. Loved it there.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#243 | Posted: 10 May 2020 17:16 
watkinstravel:
Wasn't there talk of combining these possibly with others nearby? I'd prefer it that way and don't see why not. If we are going the single route then I'll second Bryce Canyon. Loved it there.

I think this one still needs to be worked out in the "whiteboard thread"

Author Colvin
Partaker
#244 | Posted: 10 May 2020 20:28 
winterkjm:
The Transatlantic Telegraph Route: Valentia Island to Heart's Content (transnational)

Here are the plans from Ireland (progress to date and future milestones) for the Valentía side of the nomination (with the understanding that events this year may very well impact the proposed timeline).

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#245 | Posted: 11 May 2020 01:07 | Edited by: nfmungard 
winterkjm:
The Royal Sites of Ireland: Cashel, Dún Ailinne, Hill of Uisneach, Rathcroghan Complex, and Tara Complex (Ireland)
The Mountain Village of Lukomir (Bosnia Herzegovina)
Pazyryk
Dolmens of North CaucasusVera Island (Russia)

I will second these

winterkjm:
Seven Sisters (Russia)

I would second communist architecture of Moscow. I think this is too limited

winterkjm:
Route 66 (USA)

I thought we already approved this. Seconding it. Crater Lake seems missing for the USA?

winterkjm:
Here is the Missing 2020 list so far. One week left for this region.

Looks pretty impressive and closing plenty of gaps. USA at 33 .. Russia and Canada also have enough sites. In Europe we already have plenty, so I don't think there is need to review each country.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#246 | Posted: 11 May 2020 01:36 
nfmungard:
Route 66 (USA)

I thought we already approved this. Seconding it.

I cannot actually even find a full, written out proposal? What is being proposed here, the whole route? Maybe someone can help with the info?

Route 66 (wikipedia page)

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#247 | Posted: 11 May 2020 01:42 | Edited by: winterkjm 
That is a quick list of newly seconded proposals. Perhaps, as we continue, when seconding a proposal provide (at least brief) reasoning or justification. You might even link the original proposal to make it easier to update the missing list.

Seven Sisters (Russia)
French Quarter of New Orleans (USA)
The Mountain Village of Lukomir (Bosnia Herzegovina)
Pazyryk (Russia)
Route 66 (USA)

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#248 | Posted: 11 May 2020 03:19 
winterkjm:
Awaiting Possible Inscription (Advisory Body evaluations forthcoming in about 10 days

Are we sure about this? The world Heritage session is already postponed for indefinite period. The website also says below
"dispatches of statutory documents for the 44th session will be established, in accordance with the Rules of Procedure, once the dates of the 44th session of the Committee are fixed."

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#249 | Posted: 11 May 2020 04:17 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
Oh has the Munich Olympic Park not been seconded yet? If so I will do it.

I'm not exaggerating it is genuinely my top pick for missing site worldwide.

My original justification still exisits, The Olympiapark is one of the most recognisable ensembles for its pioneering 'webbed- roof'. It also contains all the aspects that have made the Olympics such world wide phenomenon, a high capacity main stadium, mass housing for participants, communications centre and tower to broadcast to world wide audiences. The unified design and still in-situ graphic design by Otl Aicher, help elevate the whole landscape as a gesamtkunstwerk.
The stadium is the only one in the world to have hosted the 3 most viewed sporting events the Olympic games and the finals of Football's World Cup and European Championships.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#250 | Posted: 11 May 2020 10:36 | Edited by: winterkjm 
New York Skyscrapers - Here is more information for this seconded proposal. Eleven serial components that trace the skyscraper skyline of NYC from 1899 to 1933. All sites listed are National Historic Landmarks. My Flickr album includes some of the components.

- Bayard–Condict Building (1899) - Only Louis Sullivan building in New York City; one of the first steel skeleton skyscrapers.

- Flatiron Building (1902) - Considered the World's first skyscraper. Distinctive triangular building at Madison Square; world's tallest 1901-1911.

- Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Tower (1905-09) - Tallest building in the world 1909-13; still part of the skyline a century later.

- Woolworth Building (1912-13) - One of the oldest —and most famous — skyscrapers in New York City; one of the tallest buildings in the New York City

- Equitable Building (1913-15) - One of the earliest skyscrapers in Manhattan; profoundly influenced later skyscraper design.

- New York Life Building (1928) - Last significant Cass Gilbert skyscraper in Manhattan.

- Chrysler Building (1928-30) - Art Deco skyscraper; distinctive feature of Manhattan skyline; at one point world's tallest building.

- Daily News Building (1929-30) - First modernistic free-standing skyscraper designed by Raymond Hood.

- Empire State Building (1930-31) - World's tallest building from 1931–1972 and internationally recognized symbol of New York City.

- McGraw Hill Building (1931) - Landmark Art Deco building; first U.S. building in International Style.

- 30 Rockefeller Plaza (1933) - Successful urban planning project of 20th-century America.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#251 | Posted: 11 May 2020 11:17 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Spread of International Style Modernism to the United States - brought from the whiteboard thread about Modernism in the United States. This nomination originated with Vantcj1 brainstorming about Modernism and the International Style. I only tried to organize a serial nomination that captured a particular theme/style that contributed to the Modern Movement. Six of the ten contributing properties are registered as National Historic Landmarks.

(Mies van der Rohe Components) 5
- Farnsworth House (IL - 1945-51) *National Historic Landmark - the Farnsworth House has continued to receive wide critical acclaim as a masterpiece of the modernist style.
- S. R. Crown Hall (IL - 1956) *National Historic Landmark - widely regarded as one of Mies van der Rohe's masterpieces, Crown Hall, completed in 1956, is one of the most architecturally significant buildings of the 20th century Modernist movement.
- Mies van der Rohe Residential District, Lafayette Park (MI - 1956) *National Historic Landmark - the largest collection of Mies van der Rohe buildings in the world, exemplifying the International Style.
- 860–880 Lake Shore Drive Apartments (IL - 1949) *Pending National Historic Landmark Designation - copied extensively and are now considered characteristic of the modern International Style as well as essential for the development of modern High-tech architecture.
- Seagram Building (NY - 1958) *Pending National Historic Landmark Designation - one of the most notable examples of the functionalist aesthetic and a prominent instance of corporate modern architecture. *Collaborated with Phillip Johnson on the Seagram Building.

(Richard Neutra Components) 3
- Neutra VDL Studio and Residences (CA - 1932, 1964) *National Historic Landmark - house's strength came from its temporal quality: Light, water and air were meant to induce a wholesome life. The Research House later became the focus of a cluster of ten Neutra-designed houses on Argent Place overlooking Silver Lake.
- Lovell House (CA - 1929) *Pending National Historic Landmark Designation - often described as the first steel frame house in the United States.
- Kaufmann Desert House (CA - 1946) *Pending National Historic Landmark Designation - one of the most important examples of International style architecture in the United States.

(Walter Gropius Components) 1
- Gropius House (MA - 1938) - *National Historic Landmark - The house includes a collection of Bauhaus-related materials that is unparalleled outside Germany.

(Phillip Johnson Components) 1
- Glass House (CT - 1947-49) - *National Historic Landmark - "universally viewed as having been derived from" the Farnsworth House in Plano, Illinois design. The building is an example of minimal structure, geometry, proportion, and the effects of transparency and reflection.

OUV: A relatively small group of European architects with the collaboration and showcase of Phillip Johnson's 1932 MoMA exhibition sparked the International Style of Modernism in the United States. The gradual rise of the Nazi regime in Weimar Germany in the 1930s, and the Nazis' rejection of modern architecture, meant that an entire generation of avant-gardist architects, many of them Jews, were forced out of continental Europe. The forced closure of Bauhaus in 1933, led to an explosion of new International Style Modernism design by emigrating Europeans in the United States. Taken together, the 1932 MoMA Exhibition curated by Johnson and the arrival of Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Walter Gropius in 1937 launched Modernism into the mainstream of American Architecture.

Ludwig Mies van der Rohe: German-American architect, emigrated to the US in 1937 becoming a citizen in 1944.
Richard Neutra: Jewish Austrian-American architect, emigrated to the US in 1923 becoming a citizen in 1929.
Walter Gropius: German-American architect, emigrated to the US in 1937 becoming a citizen in 1944.
Phillip Johnson: American architect who was pivotal in introducing European Modernists to the United States and emulated the Farnsworth House with his own "Glass House".

"The "Gropius House" was influential in bringing International Modernism to the U.S." - Wikipedia

"Phillip Johnson arranged for American visits by Gropius and Le Corbusier, and negotiated the first American commission for Mies van der Rohe." - Wikipdia

"His (Mies van der Rohe) architecture, with origins in the German Bauhaus and western European International Style, became an accepted mode of building for American cultural and educational institutions, developers, public agencies, and large corporations." - Wikipedia

"In 1932, Neutra was included in the seminal MoMA exhibition on modern architecture, curated by Philip Johnson." Wikipedia

"Emigrants did succeed, however, in spreading the concepts of the Bauhaus to other countries, including the "New Bauhaus" of Chicago: Mies decided to emigrate to the United States for the directorship of the School of Architecture at the Armour Institute (now Illinois Institute of Technology) in Chicago and to seek building commissions." - Wikipedia

Author Assif
Partaker
#252 | Posted: 11 May 2020 12:42 | Edited by: Assif 
winterkjm:

These are two different sites.

nfmungard:
I would second communist architecture of Moscow. I think this is too limited

What would you suggest to include?

winterkjm:
Spread of International Style Modernism to the United States

I second this.

Author Assif
Partaker
#253 | Posted: 11 May 2020 17:49 | Edited by: Assif 
Site: Petroglyphs of Sikachi-Alyan
TWHS: yes (1787)
Description: Petroglyphs of Sikachi-Alyan are petroglyphs on basalt rocks located in the Russian Far East. The oldest of the Sikachi-Alyan petroglyphs dated to 12000 - 9000 BC.
Criteria: cultural

Site: Petroglyphs of Lake Onega and the White Sea
TWHS: yes (6358)
Description: Petroglyphs of Lake Onega and the White Sea is located in the north-west of Russia in the Republic of Karelia. The monuments are located 330 km apart from each other. They form an individual major centre of Neolithic rock art characterized by originality and mystery of its pictures, diversity of themes, vivid imagery, abundance of scenes and multi-figure compositions, good preservation, exceptionally expressive natural surroundings and cultural context represented by nearby ancient settlements. Comparative analysis of petroglyph carving technique, semantics of basic and original images, hunting compositions and overall similar cultural context (Neolithic Pit–Comb Ware culture) indicate direct contacts between the populations of both territories and trace the origin of White Sea rock art traditions from the Onega one.
Criteria: cultural

Author Jurre
Partaker
#254 | Posted: 11 May 2020 19:23 
Full name of site: Southern Ural
TWHS?: no as a site - yes for the Ilmensky Mountains, Bashkir Ural and Shulgan-Tash Cave
Short description of site: The relief of the Southern Ural is more complex than the Middle and North Ural, with numerous valleys and parallel ridges directed south-west and meridionally. The site would represent the "Urals montane tundra and taiga" ecoregion, the meeting point of tundra and taiga. The site would include:
(1) the Ilmensky Mountains, which are "a unique geological phenomenon famous for its semiprecious and rare-metal mineralisation of the pegmatite lodes and wine spread of the rare for the Urals alkaline rocks". The diversity of Ilmensky mountain rocks are known as the "Ilmenogorsky complex". The mineral variety that gave the stimulus for the creation of the world's first mineralogical reserve here in 1920.
(2) South Ural Nature Reserve, protecting mountain taiga ecosystems in the highest part of the Southern Ural Mountains.
(3) Bashkir Ural: Bashkiriya National Park with Shulgan-Tash and Altyn Solok. The land area of "Bashkir Ural" comprises a high diversity of wild landscapes: mountain rivers gorges, plateau-like summated szyrts, steep-sloped ranges, bottom-lands and water storage basins. The famous cave Shulgan-Tash (Kapova) is one of the largest coves in the Southern Urals with more than 150 Paleolithic cave drawings of global importance. The wildlife preserve "Altyn Solok" (which means a "Golden Bee-tree") comprises objects of historical and ethnographic value, being the domain of the Bashkir national culture. Forest bee-keeping is an ancient and globally unique way of national harvesting of the Bashkir people.
Criteria: Mixed

Author Sjobe
Partaker
#255 | Posted: 12 May 2020 05:10 
Assif:
Petroglyphs of Lake Onega and the White Sea

As promised I second this. OK, there are lots of petroglyph WHS already, but I think that this may be the largest and most interesting petroglyph site in Northern Europe.

Page  Page 17 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  16  17  18  19  20  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 - Europe and North America [2020]
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑