World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 - Europe and North America [2020]

Page  Page 16 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  Next »

Author Jurre
Partaker
#226 | Posted: 8 May 2020 19:31 | Edited by: Jurre 
Assif:
Site: Alaka'i Swamp

Hasn't been seconded yet, and I'd like to second. They represent the Global 200 ecoregion "Hawaii moist forests" that are not yet represented on the WHL.

Author Sjobe
Partaker
#227 | Posted: 8 May 2020 19:37 
kkanekahn:
Vespasianus Titus Tunnel - one of the world's largest tunnels in ancient world

I second this one.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#228 | Posted: 9 May 2020 04:41 
Jurre:
Full name of site: The Russian Arctic

Second this.

Colvin:
I'll give a second to this site because of the global influence it has had on prisons since the 19th century. That said, it should be noted that studies of the "Pennsylvania" or separate system have shown that it can be detrimental to the mental health of prisoners, and may lead to recividism.

I think even the detours of history are worth preserving. At least, if they tried to do right and improve things.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#229 | Posted: 9 May 2020 07:52 | Edited by: Jurre 
Jurre:
Full name of site: Death Valley National Park

Re: the discussion in the Whiteboard thread, I'd like to amend and extend the proposal:

Full name of site: Mojave Desert: Death Valley & Joshua Tree National Park
TWHS?: no
Short description of site: Death Valley and Joshua Tree National Park are iconic sites that represent the Mojave Desert.
(Wikipedia) Death Valley National Park occupies an interface zone between the arid Great Basin and Mojave deserts, protecting the northwest corner of the Mojave Desert and its diverse environment of salt-flats, sand dunes, badlands, valleys, canyons, and mountains. The park is home to many species of plants and animals that have adapted to this harsh desert environment. Some examples include creosote bush, bighorn sheep, coyote, and the Death Valley pupfish, a survivor from much wetter times. The natural environment of the area has been shaped largely by its geology. Racetrack Playa is one of the more iconic sights in Death Valley. It is a scenic dry lake feature with "sailing stones" that inscribe linear "racetrack" imprints. Four Native American cultures are known to have lived in the area during the last 10,000 years. The Saratoga Spring People left mysterious stone patterns in the valley.
Joshua Tree National Park is named for the Joshua trees native to the Mojave Desert. The park includes parts of two deserts, each an ecosystem determined primarily by elevation: the higher Mojave Desert and the lower Colorado Desert. In addition to Joshua tree forests, the western part of the park includes some of the most interesting geologic displays found in California's deserts. The rock formations of Joshua Tree National Park owe their shape partly to groundwater, which eroded the corners and edges of blocks of stone, and to flash floods, which washed away covering ground and left piles of rounded boulders. Animals that thrive in Joshua Tree often have special adaptations for dealing with limited water and high summer temperatures. The desert tortoise is a threatened reptile species that inhabits creosote bush lowlands in the Mojave Desert. Other animals include roadrunners, bobcats, snakes, bighorn sheep, kangaroo rats, coyotes and lynxes.
Criteria: Mixed

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#230 | Posted: 9 May 2020 08:00 
Jurre:
Full name of site: Mojave Desert: Death Valley & Joshua Tree National Park

As promised. Seconded.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#231 | Posted: 9 May 2020 12:41 
Colvin:
That was a nice review by Philipp, and bridges are important in history; I've also thought about the recently built Millau Viaduct, that received a lot of praise for its architecture. That said, between bridges already inscribed on the list individually (Forth Bridge, Ironbridge Gorge, Mehmed Paša Sokolović Bridge, Pont du Gard, Vizcaya Bridge) or as part of larger sites (Budapest, Itsukushima Shrine, Mostar, Prague, Regensburg, Shustar, Trier, West Lake, amongst others), and TWHS such as the Brooklyn Bridge and the Pont sur la gorge du Salgina, I wonder at what point we will reach, with apologies to Richard Attenborough, a bridge too far. (that of course being in another context what took out the Dresden Elbe Valley from the WHS list)

Here, potential world heritage bridges (by Icomos):
https://www.icomos.org/fr/a-propos-du-centre/publicationsdoc-2/monographic-series-4/116-english-categories/resources/publications/234-context-for-world-heritage-bridges

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#232 | Posted: 9 May 2020 13:09 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Jurre:
Mojave Desert: Death Valley & Joshua Tree National Park

I am generally supportive of either a single nomination focus or a serial nomination for this desert region. I have been traveling throughout these parks every year for the last decade and I would like to make sure I understand exactly what is being proposed. Let's be clear, as to prevent any confusion, this proposal is to replace the already approved Death Valley National Park.

To my understanding, the new proposal is 2 components, Death Valley National Park and Joshua Tree National Park? From the Southern visitor center in Death Valley to the Northern visitor center in Joshua Tree is a 4 hour drive (237 miles) through the Mojave Desert. This massive area in-between Death Valley and Joshua Tree IS the Mojave Desert, whereas the units proposed (Death Valley, Joshua Tree) are the Northern and Southern Terminus of the Mojave. These national parks are in fact linked by the Mojave National Preserve and the Mojave Trails National Monument, which are (for lack of a better example) the meat, cheese and lettuce of this massive Desert Ecosystem, while Death Valley and Joshua Tree are the buns!

There is a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve called "Mojave and Colorado Deserts" which includes 4 components.

"Comprising a cluster of 4 core areas (Death Valley National Park, Joshua Tree National Park, Anza-Borrego Desert State Park and Santa Rosa and San Jacinto National Monument) and a substantial percentage of the northern Mojave and Colorado Deserts surrounding these areas."

My Flickr Album includes all potential components that should be considered if a serial approach is taken.

- Death Valley National Park (largest national park in lower 48, includes Badwater Basin, lowest point in North America and the Eureka Dunes, which are considered amongst the highest sand dunes in North America)
- Joshua Tree National Park (largest concentration of Joshua Trees)
- Anza-Borrego Desert State Park (largest state park in California, known for desert super blooms)
- Mojave Desert National Preserve (includes Castle Mountains National Monument and Mitchell Caverns National Natural Landmark)
- Mojave Trails National Monument (contains the longest remaining undeveloped stretch of Route 66 and the Amboy Crater National Natural Landmark)
- Sand to Snow National Monument (includes highest peak in Southern California, San Gorgonio Mountain and a spectrum of ecosystems found between alpine and desert)
- Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains National Monument (high peaks, desert waterfalls, and 19,000 acres of managed land by the Cahuilla Tribe)

To give some size comparison, these seven components together are larger than Belgium and roughly equivalent in size to Switzerland, the Netherlands, or Denmark. So while I don't exactly have a preference, I would be perfectly willing to accept Death Valley on its own merits, a North/South Unit preserve including Death Valley and Joshua Tree, or a larger serial nomination of 7 interconnected natural sites that cover the entirety of the ecosystem (generally comparable to the UNESCO Biosphere Reserve). I am curious what this community at large thinks is best.

Lastly, as far as criteria, mixed or natural. It would probably be best to remain a natural proposal, because the cultural values are really quite broad. For example, in Death Valley there is Scotty's Castle and the Harmony Borax Works. In Joshua Tree, there is some mining heritage (the Lost Horse Mine and Desert Queen Mine). All components have Native American history, but would it be enough to justify a mixed criteria? I am unsure. The best of these Native sites are located in the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains National Monument, which includes areas co-managed by the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians (near Palm Springs). These protected areas are Tahquitz Canyon and the Indian Canyons. There are also important sections of the Pacific Crest Trail and Route 66 that are included in such a serial approach.

Here is a crude map of all 7 (possible) components.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#233 | Posted: 9 May 2020 14:38 
Assif:
Site: Inns of Court

Yes -- I'll second this one because it represents a longstanding model of judicial systems, training barristers over the centuries. If it also helps fill in an ICOMOS gap, even better.

Assif:
Site: Falklands Conservation Area

I'll second this one, even though it may cover some of the same ground as South Georgia Island. I guess it would be up to the community to decide which is better (or both) for Top 50 voting.

Assif:
Site: Ancoats

As for Ancouts, the UK already has several Industrial Revolution sites, including Ironbridge Gorge, considered the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution. I'm not sure if they need another one.

Assif:
Site: Madrid

Additionally, here is the link to the Site of the Retiro and the Prado TWHS that Madrid had been hoping might be inscribed on the WHS list this year. Spain has many WHS already, but the city of Madrid does not. This is a nice section of the city with some beautiful buildings, museums, and parks. I'll second this nomination.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#234 | Posted: 9 May 2020 17:14 
Here are some proposals that have been brought up at various times:

Full Name of Site: Bay of Fundy
TWHS? No
Short description of site: The Bay of Fundy is a bay with the world's greatest tidal range. The mudflats and salt marsh wetlands in the bay are part of a unique intertidal habitat supporting migratory birds, such as Canada geese and herons, as well as the endangered peregrine falcon, while the geology of the bay can be seen through park cliffs and offshore rock formations, such as Hopewell Rocks. Recommended properties include Fundy National Park, Hopewell Rocks Provincial Park, the Chignecto National Wildlife Area Ramsar Site, and the Shepody National Wildlife Area, a site deemed of international and hemispheric importance for its support of migratory birds.

Criteria: Natural
Outstanding universal value / comparative analysis: Gulf of Porto, Banc d'Arguin, Migratory Bird Sanctuaries along the Coast of Yellow Sea - Bohai Gulf of China, The Wadden Sea

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Full Name of Site: The Royal Sites of Ireland: Cashel, Dún Ailinne, Hill of Uisneach, Rathcroghan Complex, and Tara Complex
TWHS? Yes
Short description of site: The Royal Sites of Ireland are universally unique through their well-preserved cultural continuity and large-scale Iron Age complexes. The royal sites grouped here were all sites of major royal inauguration, ceremony and assembly, representing each of the four Irish provinces: Ulster, Leinster, Munster and Connaught, as well as the region of Meath. The sites are strongly linked to myth and legend and are associated with the transformation of Ireland from paganism to Christianity and Saint Patrick. They continue to represent spiritual and symbolic centers of Irish culture and identity, which have influenced approaches to life in many countries of the world.

Criteria: Cultural
Outstanding universal value / comparative analysis: Jelling Mounds, Runic Stones and Church; Þingvellir National Park; Birka and Hovgården

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Full Name of Site: Konya-A Capital of Seljuk Civilization
TWHS? Yes
Short description of site: Konya was the capital of the Anatolian Seljuk Sultanate, which reached the height of its influence during the 12th and 13th centuries. The Seljuks created a unique artistic world with cultural links and trade reaching out from the Anatolian heartland to central Asia, the Middle East, and the shores of the Mediterrannean. Konya contains many examples of Seljukian stone carving, including the outer fortress of Konya and the Alaaddin Mosque, the Sirçali Madrasa, and many small mosques and tombs. Konya is also home to the Mausoleum of Rumi, known as the Mevlana Museum, which is home to the Mevlevi Order, a Sufi order famed for its "whirling dervishes".

Outstanding universal value / comparative analysis: Ancient Merv, Diyarbakir Fortress and Hevsel Gardens Cultural Landscape, Masjed-e Jâme'

Author Assif
Partaker
#235 | Posted: 9 May 2020 17:44 
Colvin:
Konya-A Capital of Seljuk Civilization

I second this. The Seljuk Empire is mentioned as a gap by ICOMOS.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#236 | Posted: 9 May 2020 18:14 | Edited by: Jurre 
Colvin:
Full Name of Site: Bay of Fundy

I second this.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#237 | Posted: 9 May 2020 19:05 
One of these three, on a similar theme, but slightly different takes:

---------------------------------
Full Name of Site: Temple Square, Salt Lake City
TWHS? No
Short description of site: The epicentre of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, better known as Mormons. The ensemble includes the Salt Lake Temple, the Salt Lake Tabernacle home of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Assembly Hall, Joseph Smith Memorial Building and Beehive House.
This is the focal point and administrative heart of an international religion with in excess of 16 million followers. It bears a unique testimony to New World religious faith and its relationship with frontier towns, migration, and the Old American West

Outstanding universal value / comparative analysis: Bahá'i Holy Places, Vatican City, Lumbini, Canterbury

----------------------------------------------------------------
Full Name of Site: Plat of Zion, urban grid of Salt Lake City
TWHS? No
Short description of site: Radiating out from Temple Square the urban grid layout of Salt Lake City, is a classic new world grid system, though with a claim of divine inspiration for its unique and future proofed massive scale. Incorporating the religious centre of the LDS church around temple square and also the secular centre in the Utah State Capitol, and infrastructure including one of the main stopping points on the transcontinental railroad.
Laid out as the future capital of a religion the city would be as populous as New York or Philadelphia were at the time, and would offer the best parts of a city—infrastructure, education, and community—but without vice and crime. This could be achieved by giving residents lots of space; it would essentially be a rural city. Within the large blocks, each church member would have a plot of land for fruit trees and vegetable gardens, along with a home, which were imagined as the essential piece of the urban fabric.
Resource: Excellent episode of the podcast 99% Invisible
Outstanding universal value / comparative analysis: Ferrara, Quito, Lima, Mexico City, San Cristobal de La Laguna

----------------------------------------------------------------
Full Name of Site: The Mormon Trail
TWHS? No
Short description of site:This is the trail of Mormon migration westwards across the United States, from Nauvoo in Western Illinois, through Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming and finishing in Salt Lake City Utah, which was settled by Brigham Young and his followers beginning in 1847. From Council Bluffs, Iowa to Fort Bridger in Wyoming, the trail follows much the same route as the Oregon Trail and the California Trail; these trails are collectively known as the Emigrant Trail.
This route demonstrates the Westward expansion of the United States, as well as religious migration driven by persecution, providing a unique testament to religious life in the country in the 19th century.
There route is well maintained, with many sites demonstrating the harsh travelling conditions (Winter Quarters, Emigration Canyon, as well as the outstanding religious monuments built by the new religion, Temples in Nauvoo and Salt Lake City at either end. Additionally I would propose adding early Tabernacles and Temples built in Utah, Idaho and Wyoming as testament to the new religion building a religious network in the new territories.
Resource:
Outstanding universal value / comparative analysis: Struggling to think of other sites at present, I'm sure there are ones though.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#238 | Posted: 9 May 2020 19:17 
meltwaterfalls:
Struggling to think of other sites at present, I'm sure there are ones though.

Pipe Springs National Monument

Not offering support, just adding a relevant component. I will stay neutral at this point in seconding any US nominations.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#239 | Posted: 9 May 2020 19:17 
meltwaterfalls:
Full Name of Site: Temple Square, Salt Lake City

meltwaterfalls:
Full Name of Site: Plat of Zion, urban grid of Salt Lake City

Very intriguing nominations, since the Mormons are a unique cultural group in the United States. Between the two of these sites you propose, I think I'd support Temple Square because it would be easier to inscribe without having to worry about future development impacting the viability of the site. I'll give a second to Temple Square.

As for the Mormon Trail, I think it would probably be best to focus on any sites as a possible extension to Temple Square (Sites of Early Mormon Migration, perhaps), but that's my personal opinion. Others may think differently.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#240 | Posted: 10 May 2020 15:52 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Proposed Sites
The Mountain Village of Lukomir (Bosnia Herzegovina)
Habitat 67 (Canada)
Famagusta (Cyprus)
Archipelago Sea (Finland)
Nimes (France)
Dolmens of North Caucasus (Georgia)
Tempelhof Airport (Germany)
Olympia Park, Munich (Germany)
Reichstag, Berlin (Germany)
Unter den Linden (Germany)
The Royal Sites of Ireland: Cashel, Dún Ailinne, Hill of Uisneach, Rathcroghan Complex, and Tara Complex (Ireland)
Cricova Wine Cellars (Moldova)
Pazyryk burial sites (Russia)
Dolmens of North Caucasus (Russia)
Vera Island (Russia)
Seven Sisters (Russia)
Kolyma Highway (Road of Bones) and related settlements (Russia)
Art Nouveau Architecture of Subotica (Serbia)
Djavolja Varos (Serbia)
Gamla stan, Stockholm (Sweden)
Archipelago Sea (Sweden)
Sigtuna (Sweden)
Skärgårds of Western Sweden (Sweden)
Pont sur la gorge du Salgina (Switzerland)
Mardin Cultural Landscape (Turkey)
Mausoleum of Hecatomnus (Turkey)
Wooden Roofed and Wooden Columned Mosques in Anatolia (Turkey)
Bell Rock Lighthouse (UK)
Hebrides Islands (UK)
Whisky Distilleries of Scotland (UK)
Scottish Castles (UK)
St. Andrews Golf Course (UK)
University of Manchester - Computer Science Department (UK)
Belfast Murals and Fortifications (UK)
Sites of Antarctic Exploration (UK)
Ancoats (UK)
The historical surroundings of Crimean Khans' capital in Bakhchysarai (Ukraine)
Brooklyn Brown Stones (USA)
Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge (USA)
Disneyland (USA)
Bryce Canyon National Park (USA)
Zion Canyon National Park (USA)
Miami Beach Architectural District (USA)
French Quarter of New Orleans (USA)
Carrizo Plain (USA)
Caguana (USA)
San Francisco Cable Cars (USA)
Vulcan Street Plan / Works of Edison (USA)
Bell Labs (USA)
Saugus Iron Works (USA)
Mount Washington Cog Railway (USA)
Eleutherian Mills (USA)
Tennessee Valley Authority (USA)
Route 66 (USA)

Page  Page 16 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 - Europe and North America [2020]
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑