World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 - Europe and North America [2020]

Page  Page 15 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  14  15  16  ...  20  Next »

Author Assif
Partaker
#211 | Posted: 7 May 2020 07:14 | Edited by: Assif 
Site: Falklands Conservation Area
TWHS: no
Description: The Falklands are mentioned in the IUCN gap study. There are around 30 different habitats currently recognised, some identified as 'threatened' or 'vulnerable'. Between them they support around 180 native vascular plants of which 14 are endemic, and some globally and nationally threatened. Lower plants are well represented with continuing discoveries of new mosses, liverworts and lichens. There are over 250 insects recorded including the endemic subspecies Queen of the Falklands Fritillary. Whilst the Falklands is renowned for its seabirds two of its three endemic bird species; Cobb's wren and tussac bird are land birds, as are 12 of the 13 endemic subspecies. Much of the marine environment of the Islands remains unstudied; however, it is known to support a rich assemblage of cephalopods, globally significant seabird populations, some which are threatened. These include penguins, albatrosses, and petrels. There are three breeding species of seal and over 20 species of cetaceans have been recorded. These include inshore and offshore populations of dolphins and whales, including important assemblages of the endangered sei and fin whales.
Criteria: natural

Site: Inns of Court
TWHS: no
Description: The Inns of Court are operating associations of barristers in London. They were modelled after mediaeval trade guilds and have been in continuous use since the 14th century. The mediaeval buildings in the Temple District include historical libraries, dining rooms and accommodation, which are still in use. The Inns of Court served as models for later similar institutions in Ireland and the USA. The justice system (apart of prisons) is a gap mentioned by Icomos in its gap study.
Criteria: cultural

Site: Ancoats
TWHS: no (formerly)
Description: Ancoats is an area of Manchester famous as the "cradle of the industrial revolution" and as the first industrial suburb. It is home to numerous historic factories from the beginning of the 19th century, most of which are cotton mills. In addition to cotton cloths, flint glass and machinery were also produced there.

Site: Madrid
TWHS: yes (5977)
Description: Madrid's Baroque centre, including monumental axes, squares, palaces and the Buen Retiro Park, represents one of the most important colonial powers in history. It served as a model for many urban landscapes in Latin America.

I would also like to make a second attempt at Alaka'i Swamp in Hawaii, USA, which I have already proposed. As to now we have no terrestrial biomes from Polynesia. IUCN proposes the rainforests. Alaka'i Swamp (which is no swamp, but a rainforest) is the largest of its sort and is still intact. It is also one of the wettest places on Earth.

Author FredericM
Partaker
#212 | Posted: 7 May 2020 11:33 
Colvin:
And in turn, here are proposals for two Canadian sites that you mentioned in the whiteboard thread

I'm glad you propose those two. I think they are the best in my suggestions.

Author elsslots
Admin
#213 | Posted: 7 May 2020 12:23 
Colvin:
Full Name of Site: The Transatlantic Telegraph Route: Valentia Island to Heart's Content

I visited the Irish part last year and it still has a long way to go. Very little left and in need of restoration

Author elsslots
Admin
#214 | Posted: 7 May 2020 12:25 
Assif:
Colvin:
Jurre:
If so, than I would like to see what the support would be for a Volga Delta nomination. The Volga Delta is cited as one of the "Large river deltas" in the "Global 200: Freshwater ecoregions". There are no WHS that focus on the Volga River and there are not even any WHS close by.

You're absolutely right, and I would support a nomination like this. The Astrakhan Nature Reserve that you recommend was one of Russia's first nature preserves, founded in 1919. The delta supports Russia's well-known beluga sturgeon, as well as a lot of waterfowl (the delta is apparently the only place in Russia where both flamingoes and pelicans can be found in the same vicinity). The wetlands are being challenged by industrialization and agricultural run-off, so they should be protected.

The Volga Delta is seconded.

Where's the original proposal, I can't find it

Author Jurre
Partaker
#215 | Posted: 7 May 2020 12:30 
Assif:
The Volga Delta is seconded.

Let's make it official with my proposal:

Full name of site: Volga Delta
TWHS?: no
Short description of site: (Wikipedia) The Volga Delta is cited as one of the "Large river deltas" in the "Global 200: Freshwater ecoregions" and is the largest river delta in Europe. The Astrakhan Nature Reserve is the best representative of this site. It includes the islands and wetlands of the Volga Delta and is a RAMSAR wetlands site of international importance. The landscape is one of extensive reeds, cattails and willows and is an important nesting area for waterfowl and wading birds. The reserve has recorded 283 species of birds, 99 of which nest on the site (and 27 of which are listed as vulnerable in the Red Book of Russia) and 155 of which are seen in periods of migration and wintering. The areas is also rich in fish, with 50 species recorded, including beluga sturgeon. The high number of fish species in the reserve are due to the shallow waters and abundant vegetation.
Criteria: Natural

Author Colvin
Partaker
#216 | Posted: 7 May 2020 13:07 | Edited by: Colvin 
Jurre:
Let's make it official with my proposal:

Thanks, Jurre. If Assif hadn't seconded it already, I would have.

elsslots:
I visited the Irish part last year and it still has a long way to go.

That's unfortunate, but I'm hopeful that someday both Canada and Ireland will be able to work together and get an official proposal for a TWHS going.

Assif:
I would also like to make a second attempt at Alaka'i Swamp in Hawaii, USA, which I have already proposed. As to now we have no terrestrial biomes from Polynesia.

I've been to the Alaka'i Swamp twice; it's a nice visit, but I haven't traveled enough to know if it is the best representation of rainforest in Polynesia (that would have been something to pursue more in the Asia-Pacific thread). Still, if you want to pursue this one, I'd recommend using the larger Koke'e State Park, which includes the Alaka'i Wilderness Preserve.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#217 | Posted: 7 May 2020 15:46 
Full name of site: Nîmes
TWHS?: yes
Short description of site: (Unesco) Nîmes has an antique heritage that is exceptional because of its density, its coherence and its good state. It comprises the city wall with its gates and the Tour Magne, the Maison Carrée (the best preserved Roman temple), the amphitheatre, the Fontaine sactuary, the Augusteum, and remains of dwellings, art works (mosaics) and engineering works, such as the castellum aquae, the water tower where the aquaduct finishes of which the Pont du Gard is a part of. Nîmes is one of the most complete witnesses of the antique urban civilisation. Nîmes also shows the persistant influence of antique architecture on architecture and urbanism in later periods, as is proven by the use of stylistic and ornemental elements in construction from the 12th to 19th century.
Criteria: Cultural

Author Jurre
Partaker
#218 | Posted: 7 May 2020 16:39 | Edited by: Jurre 
Jurre:
winterkjm:
- Volcanic and forest areas of Martinique

Can't find where this got proposed and seconded. It's also not in the Spreadsheet list.

Having said that, I'd be happy to write a proposal for this.

Full name of site: Volcanic and forest areas of Martinique
Short description of site: (Unesco) The site will correspond to the "Parc naturel régional de la Martinique". It is dominated by Mount Pelée, that towers over the town of Saint-Pierre and thanks its historical reputation to it being an active volcano. The natural beauty continues through the Pitons du Carbet. In the south, the site continues to the suggestive forms of the Larcher morne ("the reclining woman") and the Diamond Rock, another witness of explosive vulcanism.
The vegetation comprises an important number of endemic species, belonging to submountainous and mountainous zones. A lot of these plant species are an example of specification, caused by the isolation of its habitat and the particular geological history of Martinique. This way, the site is an important laboratory to understand the evolution of species, geographical specification and endemism.
Criteria: Natural

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#219 | Posted: 8 May 2020 06:15 
I wouldn't normally do details on things in the UK but as I have been specifically asked on this one.

Trying to make this a little more tangible and World Heritagey

Full Name of Site: Birth of the Football Stadium: Sports architecture of Archibald Leitch
TWHS? No
Short description of site: A serial site of the last remaining football stadium components designed by renowned Scottish Architect Archibald Leitch. Leitch was instrumental in the design of expanding sport stadia across Britain and Ireland in the early 20th century as football evolved from a game enjoyed by factory workers in their limited free time to a mass participation "national religion" set on a course to become the "world's game".
Leitch built many of the most prominent stadia of the time, though the majority have been demolished as grounds have been remodelled or teams relocated. This included his masterpiece the Trinity Road stand at Villa Park in Birmingham.
However there are several prominent examples still in use.
The most notable examples are the brick facade of the main stand at Ibrox, home of Rangers in Glasgow. The Main Stand and Cottage pavilion at Craven Cottage, Fulham in West London. The Bullens Road stand at Goodison Park home of Everton in Liverpool. There are also around 10 further stadia across England and Scotland still in existence, displaying his trade marks of mid stand gables and cross braces. A prominent example is Fratton Park, home of the worlds greatest football team Portsmouth FC, and that should be enough to qualify for Outstanding Universal Value
Resources: BBC: The Man Who Built Britain's Football Grouds
Outstanding universal value / comparative analysis: There aren't really any sites inscribed because of the role of spectator sport, especially from the contemporary era. There are a few sites inscribed for their leisure activities, though these only tend to relate to past times of the aristocracy or cultural elites such as hunting or opera (though of course these aren't entirely the activities of those groups)

Author elsslots
Admin
#220 | Posted: 8 May 2020 11:47 | Edited by: elsslots 
Jurre:
Full name of site: Nîmes

This has a very low 58% approval rating (12 votes) as a T site on our website, would not second this.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#221 | Posted: 8 May 2020 13:07 | Edited by: nfmungard 
meltwaterfalls:
Full Name of Site: Birth of the Football Stadium: Sports architecture of Archibald Leitch

Seconded, no surprise as I was asking for it. I also second the pub selection.

elsslots:
This has a very low 58% approval rating (12 votes) as a T site on our website, would not second this.

I think I downvoted that one. Would be near miss for me as I only stepped out of the train station at Nimes during a transfer for a very short period of time to begin wtih. But mainly to do with oversaturated Roman sites in France as is.

@Winterkjm: I think it's time for a new summary? Easiest is probably to simply update your previous post.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#222 | Posted: 8 May 2020 13:10 
Okay, I'll try to update soon.

Author FredericM
Partaker
#223 | Posted: 8 May 2020 15:14 
Switzerland has no proposals yet. Thanks to Philipp Peterer's recent review, I learnt about this site and think it might be a good candidate. I use his words for the description.

Full Name of Site: Pont sur la gorge du Salgina
TWHS? Yes
Short description of site: What on first sight looks like a random bridge, is actually an important architectural masterpiece. The Salginatobel Bridge is one of the most important reinforced concrete arch bridges in the world. Built by Swiss architect Robert Maillard and finished in 1930, the bridge is recognized by architects and designers around the globe. In 1991, it made it to the "World Monuments" list (much more exclusive than the WHS list). In 2001, the bridge – design and engineering magazine (yes, there is a magazine for that) voted it the "bridge of the century". It might have an underwhelming look for the non-professional eye, but it sure has outstanding universal value.

I also suggested this site on the whiteboard and it received some approval.

Full Name of Site: Eastern State Penitentiary
TWHS? No
Short description of site: Designed by John Haviland and opened on October 25, 1829, Eastern State is considered to be the world's first true penitentiary. Eastern State's revolutionary system of incarceration, dubbed the "Pennsylvania system" or separate system, encouraged separate confinement as a form of rehabilitation. At its completion, the building was the largest and most expensive public structure ever erected in the United States, and quickly became a model for more than 300 prisons worldwide. The prison is currently a U.S. National Historic Landmark. [Wikipedia]

Author Colvin
Partaker
#224 | Posted: 8 May 2020 17:01 | Edited by: Colvin 
FredericM:
Full Name of Site: Eastern State Penitentiary

I'll give a second to this site because of the global influence it has had on prisons since the 19th century. That said, it should be noted that studies of the "Pennsylvania" or separate system have shown that it can be detrimental to the mental health of prisoners, and may lead to recividism.

Assif:
Site: Arkaim

Going back to review some of the earlier topics, I'll give a second to this site which some have dubbed the Russian Stonehenge. It was recently discovered in 1987 and archaeological work is still underway to determine who lived here some 3.8-4000 years ago.

Assif:
Site: Famagusta

I'm intrigued by this site, but it may have a problem making it onto a tentative list due to its location in a disputed territory.

FredericM:
Full Name of Site: Pont sur la gorge du Salgina

That was a nice review by Philipp, and bridges are important in history; I've also thought about the recently built Millau Viaduct, that received a lot of praise for its architecture. That said, between bridges already inscribed on the list individually (Forth Bridge, Ironbridge Gorge, Mehmed Paša Sokolović Bridge, Pont du Gard, Vizcaya Bridge) or as part of larger sites (Budapest, Itsukushima Shrine, Mostar, Prague, Regensburg, Shustar, Trier, West Lake, amongst others), and TWHS such as the Brooklyn Bridge and the Pont sur la gorge du Salgina, I wonder at what point we will reach, with apologies to Richard Attenborough, a bridge too far. (that of course being in another context what took out the Dresden Elbe Valley from the WHS list)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#225 | Posted: 8 May 2020 18:10 
Full name of site: The Russian Arctic
TWHS?: no
Short description of site: The site would encompass two big nature reserves in Russia's Arctic: Russian Arctic National Park and the Great Arctic State Nature Reserve. They cover the Global 200 Marine ecoregion "Barents-Kara Sea".
Russian Arctic National Park covers a large and remote area of the Arctic Ocean, the northern part of Novaya Zemlya, and Franz Josef Land. The area is the habitat of polar bears and bowhead whales. The area also includes one of the largest bird colonies in the Northern Hemisphere, as well as walrus and seal rookeries. In addition to preserving natural habitats, the area of the national park is important for preserving the cultural heritage, which is related to the history of discovery and colonisation of the vast Arctic territories starting from the sixteenth century.
The Great Arctic State Nature Reserve covers, among its 41,692 square kilometers, the Kara Sea Islands, the Pyasino Gulf and Pyasina River basin, the Nordenskiöld Archipelago, Lower Taimyr and the Brekhovsky Islands Natural Reserve. Among the animals that are protected by this reserve, some of the most important are the polar bear, the Arctic fox, the snowy owl, the reindeer and the beluga.
Criteria: Mixed

Page  Page 15 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  14  15  16  ...  20  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 - Europe and North America [2020]
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑