World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 - Europe and North America [2020]

Page  Page 13 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  12  13  14  ...  19  20  Next »

Author Colvin
Partaker
#181 | Posted: 4 May 2020 20:22 
Thanks for the diverse nominations from the Arctic and the North, FredericM!

FredericM:
Full Name of Site: Sirmilik National Park and Tallurutiup Imanga (proposed) National Marine Conservation Area

Yes -- I think the site nomination package gives good rationale as to how this site differs from Ilulissat Icefjord (the icefjord was inscribed primarily because of the geologic processes and doesn't include the interaction between the Inuit and the environment) and Wrangel Island (which focuses on the ecosystem of an island, rather than a large Arctic area that includes glaciers, wetlands, coastal, marine, and freshwater environments). I'll second this.

FredericM:
Full Name of Site: Ivvavik / Vuntut / Herschel Island (Qikiqtaruk) and Arctic National Wildlife Refuge

In addition to the abundant wildlife, this is a key area to the peopling of North America, as the nomination package states. I will also second this. And I will note that while things may not look promising for the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge right now, all it takes is a change in US government administation, and I'm hoping we'll get one more interested in preserving the environment.

FredericM:
Full Name of Site: Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge

I took a look at the Kluane/Wrangell-St. Elias/Glacier Bay/Tatshenshini-Alsek National Parks WHS, and it does not cover any seabird nesting areas. I think the fact that this refuge provides a nesting area for 80% of all North America's seabirds is quite a good enough reason for me to give this a second.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#182 | Posted: 4 May 2020 20:37 | Edited by: jonathanfr 
winterkjm:
- Pubs of the UK and Ireland (UK, Ireland) *No identified components yet
- Whisky Distilleries of Scotland (UK) *No identified components yet
- Scottish Castles (serial) (UK) *Partially identified components (Eilean Donan)
- Historic Football Fields and Stadiums (UK) *No identified components yet

Pubs of the UK and Ireland (UK, Ireland): The Crown Liquor Saloon, The Drovers Inn, The Llandoger Trow, The Temple Bar

Whisky Distilleries of Scotland (UK) : Dallas Dhu Distillery has been considered in the past
https://www.rug.nl/research/portal/files/9836834/c3.pdf

Scottish Castles: I propose in addition to Eilean Donan: Dunnottar Castle and Urquhart Castle

Historic Football Fields and Stadiums: Hamilton Crescent
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/hamilton-crescent

Author FredericM
Partaker
#183 | Posted: 4 May 2020 20:40 
Colvin:
Thanks for the diverse nominations from the Arctic and the North, FredericM!

Thanks for seconding all these! I will therefore go on with my next (much warmer) proposal. Despite the controversy, I believe it is unique and warrant inscription.

Full Name of Site: White Sands National Monument (now National Park)
TWHS? Yes
Short description of site: White Sands National Monument is the world's largest and best protected surface deposit of gypsum sand, unlike the far more abundant lake and seashore quartz sand dunes. Elsewhere in the world, most large gypsum-sand deposits have been heavily mined. Despite the current aridity of White Sands, which evolved over eons, it is biologically rich and diverse, with endemic species of animals, which afford exceptional opportunities for scientific research into evolution. The geology is an analog to that of Mars. More than 600 invertebrates, 300 plants, 250 birds, 50 mammals, 30 reptiles, seven amphibians, and one fish species inhabit White Sands National Park. At least 45 species are endemic, living only in this park, with 40 of them being moth species, along with the Apache pocket mouse, White Sands wood rat, bleached earless lizard, and two camel crickets. [UNESCO and Wikipedia]
Criteria: Natural

Author Colvin
Partaker
#184 | Posted: 4 May 2020 20:53 
FredericM:
I will therefore go on with my next (much warmer) proposal.

Well now you're getting to a site I've actually been to (well, save for the Chiswell Islands component of the Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge, which I think I may have passed by on Kenai Fjord boat tours out of Seward). I've already expressed my support for this site in a different thread, and I will gladly give a second to the largest gypsum sand dunefield in the world.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#185 | Posted: 4 May 2020 21:37 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Here is the Missing 2020 list, which is mostly up-to-date for the Europe and North America region.

Belarus 2
- Postwar Minsk
- Chernobyl Exclusion Zone + Polesie State Radioecological Reserve
Belgium 1
- First World War Funeral and Memorial Sites (Front Quest)
Canada 5
- Quttinirpaaq National Park
- Hecate Strait and Queen Charlotte Sound Glass Sponge Reefs
- Sirmilik National Park and Tallurutiup Imanga
- Lake Superior National Marine Conservation Area (transnational)
- Ivvavik / Vuntut / Herschel Island (Qikiqtaruk) and Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (transnational)
Finland 1
- The Architectural Works of Alvar Aalto
France 7
- Marine Ecosystems of the Comoros Archipelago
- Lakes of the Great New Caledonian
- Sites of the Lapita culture (serial, transnational)
- Marquesas Archipelago Marine Reserve
- First World War Funeral and Memorial Sites (Front Quest)
- Megalithic Sites of Carnac
- Volcanic and forest areas of Martinique
Germany 3
- Dreams in Stone – the palaces of King Ludwig II of Bavaria: Neuschwanstein, Linderhof and Herrenchiemsee
- Berlin Wall
- Unter den Linden and Reichstag
Greece 2
- Minoan Palaces of Crete
- Santorini
Ireland 2
- Aran Islands
- The Monastic City of Clonmacnoise and its Cultural Landscape
Israel 1
- Desert kites of the Middle East
Italy 2
- Padova Urbs Picta
- Salento and the "Barocco Leccese"
Norway 2
- The Lofoten Islands
- Svalbard Archipelago
Portugal 1
- Southwest Alentejo and Costa Vicentina
Russia 8
- Vainakh Towers
- Kapova Cave (Shulgan-Tash)
- Moscow Metro Stations
- Tobolsk
- Trans-Siberian Railway
- Lena River Delta
- The Great Vasyugan Mire
- Land of the Leopards National Park
Turkey 2
- Ancient City of Kaunos
- Harran
Ukraine 1
- Chernobyl Exclusion Zone + Polesie State Radioecological Reserve
United Kingdom 6
- Chagos Marine Protected Area
- Historic Centre of York
- South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands Marine Protected Area
- Oxford and Cambridge Historic Universities
- Tate Gallery, London
- Bermuda Blue Halo Marine Reserve
United States 27
- Heritage of the Hawaiian Kingdom
- Ancestral Lands of the Diné: Canyon de Chelly & Monument Valley
- Coso Rock Art District
- Rock Art of the Chumash People
- Bodie Historic District
- Case Study Houses in Los Angeles
- Early Chicago Skyscrapers
- Hoover Dam
- Golden Gate Bridge
- New York Skyscrapers
- History of Film: Hollywood & Movie Palaces on Broadway in Los Angeles
- First Transcontinental Railroad
- Ford Plant Ensemble: Birth of the Automotive Industry
- Quincy Mine
- Tevatron
- California Current Conservation Complex
- Ice Age Floods National Geologic Trail
- Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge
- Marianas Trench Marine National Monument
- Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park
- Arches National Park
- Badlands National Park
- Death Valley National Park
- Petrified Forest National Park
- White Sands National Park
- Ivvavik / Vuntut / Herschel Island (Qikiqtaruk) and Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (transnational)
- Lake Superior National Marine Conservation Area (transnational)

I might be missing a couple?

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#186 | Posted: 4 May 2020 21:44 | Edited by: winterkjm 
nfmungard:
Quincy Mine

Would this be better as the Keweenaw National Historical Park? Or would you and Assif prefer the individual mine? The Quincy Mine is a unit of this national historical park that is focused on the copper mining industry in Upper Michigan.

jonathanfr:
Eilean Donan: Dunnottar Castle and Urquhart Castle

- Urquhart Castle - is a ruined castle from the 13th to 16th centuries. (Clan Grant)
- Eilean Donan - primarily a thirteenth century fortification, the castle's destruction occurred in 1719. Between 1919 and 1932, the castle was rebuilt. (Clan Mackenzie)
- Dunnottar Castle - the surviving buildings are largely of the 15th and 16th centuries. (Clan Keith)

Undeniably, these are 3 stunning castles. However, they are not connected by clan, region, design or construction period. In other words, they are very different and don't lead to a strong ensemble. I wonder if there could be a group of representative castles in Scotland or Ireland that create a strong ensemble centered on a strong theme un-recognized on the world heritage list?

jonathanfr:
Pubs of the UK and Ireland (UK, Ireland): The Crown Liquor Saloon

Not sure about the other pubs, but "The Crown Liquor Saloon" really looks amazing. Once again, it's hard to string together sites across countries/regions when design, age, and even function is quite different. I am reminded by ICOMOS being really harsh with the FLW nomination in 2016 when the nomination was a series of career highlights/masterworks, instead of key structures that influenced modern architecture.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#187 | Posted: 5 May 2020 02:25 | Edited by: nfmungard 
Colvin:
Certainly influential, though maybe not necessarily the best the US has to offer history! :-)

I love those car heavy places, drive throughs etc. I think it's sth unique.

Colvin:
Sure, it's definitely famous. What would you say makes it world-class?

Colvin:
which is why I'd like to hear perspectives from non-Americans as to how they perceive the site.

For Route 66, you make the case quite eloquently yourself. Where it's original, it's an iconic image and so American. If there are some historic stretches, with the old infrastructure, those would be my preferred inscription.

And it ties into the original US highway system which was one of the earliest. The scope of covering the whole US is pretty huge. The history with the automobile clubs arguing for highways seems quite interesting.

winterkjm:
However, within the context of Jodrell Bank Observatory, I would not (personally) support any American site if it did not at least meet or surpass these standards of OUV. Once again, we are not talking about any site that "might" have potential for inscription, we are searching for TOP Missing. In the US, that must inevitably narrow down to key NASA historic sites, no? We also cannot forget the Soviet sites.

I am not an astrophysicist. What are the most historic telescopes in astronomy? I think this should be on the list.

And as stated in the Top Missing Thread, to me the exercise is about exploring the missing sites. The Top part comes as the last step.

winterkjm:
countries in the region which currently have 0 approved proposals:
Andorra Luxembourg Malta Monaco San Marino

I think micro countries not getting new sites seems about right ;)
winterkjm:
Austria Bulgaria Croatia Czechia Denmark Hungary Netherlands Poland Slovakia Slovenia Spain Switzerland

Having been there repeatedly, I don't see much of a gap in these countires.

Of the remaining countries you list:

Armenia / Azerbaijan => There is probably sth there. Will take some time.
Bosnia and Herzegovina / Serbia => For central historic areas, short lists.
Latvia Lithuania Estonia => Baltics could use a natural site.
Greenland => Huge. So question is if there is any site that is different from those already inscribed.
Iceland => Maybe another NP?
Romania / Republic of Moldova => Romania looks like a good candidate for more. Moldova has a short list.

winterkjm:
- Ivy League Universities (USA) *No identified components yet

Ivy league is a pretty clearly defined set of universities: Harvard, Yale, Princeton... Harvard dates back to the 17th century and represents the spread of knowledge from the home country (UK) to the US.

winterkjm:
- Fur Trading Centers of the Northwest (Canada, USA)

Seconded.

Author Assif
Partaker
#188 | Posted: 5 May 2020 04:17 | Edited by: Assif 
FredericM:
Kennedy Space Center and Houston Mission Control Center (or other more well preserved component) as a transnational site about space exploration with Kazakhstan's Baikonur Cosmodrome.

Will you make an official nomination?

FredericM:
Full Name of Site: Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge

I would support a proposal combined with Russian TWHS Commander Islands. Together they would cover the Bering Sea, which is currently unrepresented.

winterkjm:
I did want to share other countries in the region which currently have 0 approved proposals (or even no proposals altogether).

I am actually happy to see that considering how overrepresented Europe is.

winterkjm:
I might be missing a couple?

Berlin Wall

winterkjm:
Proposed nominations

nfmungard's proposals of Unter den Linden and Reichstag are missing.

nfmungard:
What are the most historic telescopes in astronomy? I think this should be on the list.

Maybe we should stick to the largest historical optical telescopes remaining? These would be Hooker and Hale telescopes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_optical_telescopes_historically

Author mrayers
Partaker
#189 | Posted: 5 May 2020 05:51 | Edited by: mrayers 
I will reach back to page 2 to give support for:

nfmungard:
The Mall of Washington DC, USA, DC
OUV: Monumental government buildings lined along a central axis, the Mall.

Having already visited similar sites, Museum Island (recently, but only from the outside), and Brasilia (from a different era, but with a similar structure) The Mall is still my favorite of the three

Author Sjobe
Partaker
#190 | Posted: 5 May 2020 10:51 
nfmungard:
Armenia / Azerbaijan => There is probably sth there. Will take some time.
Bosnia and Herzegovina / Serbia => For central historic areas, short lists.
Latvia Lithuania Estonia => Baltics could use a natural site.
Greenland => Huge. So question is if there is any site that is different from those already inscribed.
Iceland => Maybe another NP?
Romania / Republic of Moldova => Romania looks like a good candidate for more. Moldova has a short list.

Well, it is hard to find any fresh perspective in Europe. But I give it a serious try – you guys can evaluate if these are "official proposals" or not:

ARMENIA
Areni Cave / Historical remains of Areni
TWHS: No
Description: The Areni-1 cave complex is a multicomponent site, and late Chalcolithic/Early Bronze Age ritual site and settlement. In 2008 discovered the earliest known shoe at the site. In January 2011, the earliest known winery in the world was uncovered in the cave. Later, in 2011, the discovery of a straw skirt dating to 3,900 years BCE was reported. In 2009, the oldest humanoid brain was discovered in the cave.
Links: Wikipedia (Areni-1 Cave), Armenian Heritage (Areni), Google Image Search

AZERBAIJAN
Mud Volcanoes of Azerbaijan
TWHS: No, could include a current TWHS "Lok-Batan" Mud Cone
Description: Azerbaijan has the most mud volcanoes of any country, spread broadly across the country. 350 of the 800 volcanoes of the world are in the Azerbaijani Republic. Mud volcanoes appeared on the territory of the present Azerbaijan Republic 25 million years ago. Near mud volcanoes, deposits of oil and gas can be found. About 200 eruptions have occurred in 50 volcanoes in the territory of Azerbaijani Republic since 1810.
Links: Wikipedia (Mud volcanoes in Azerbaijan), Atlas Obscura, Volcano Discovery, Google Image Search

SERBIA
Art Nouveau Architecture of Subotica
Description: Unique in Serbia, Subotica has the most buildings built in the art nouveau style. The City Hall (built in 1908-1910) and the Synagogue (1902) are of especially outstanding beauty. These were built by the same architects, Marcell Komor and Dezső Jakab, from Budapest, Hungary. Another exceptional example of art nouveau architecture is the actual Artistic Encounter building, which was built in 1904 by Ferenc J. Raichle.
Links: Wikipedia (Subotica), Visit Subotica, Atlas Obscura (Subotica's Art Nouveau Synagogue), Google Image Search (Subotica Art Nouveau)

Djavolja Varos
TWHS: Yes
Description: Djavolja Varos is a unique example of the action of erosion. It is a complex of stone pyramids located in the watershed between Djavolja jaruga and Paklena jaruga. On an area of 4,300 sq.m. water erosion has shaped andesite material and volcanic tufa into over 200 pyramids – towers standing from 2–15 m. tall, width at base 4 to 6 m. and at the summit 1–2 m. Most of these pyramids have caps or heads - andesite blocks protecting them from fast decey.
Links: Wikipedia (Đavolja Varoš), Google Image Search

MOLDOVA
Cricova Wine Cellars
Description: The World's largest Wine cellars
Links: Wikipedia (Mileștii Mici), Wikipedia (Cricova)

BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA
The Mountain Village of Lukomir
Description: Lukomir is the highest in altitude and most remote village in the entire country. In Lukomir the customs of nomadic tribes and Dinaric highlanders are still practiced. Also, the stećci scattered about the village indicate that it was already inhabited by the 14th and 15th centuries. Considered significant in terms of quality of natural and cultural-historical landscape, Lukomir village and its immediate surrounding is designated as National Monument of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Links: Wikipedia (Lukomir), Google Imege Search

LITHUANIA
Kaunas 1919-1939: The Capital Inspired by the Modern Movement
TWHS: Yes
Description: During a short but very intense period, Kaunas lived through the most important phase in its historical development. The years from 1919 to 1939 were a time of revolutionary cultural breakthroughs for Kaunas, which was especially evident in architecture. Its status as a capital city provoked a huge construction boom, aiming to create all the necessary infrastructure. The urban and architectural development of Kaunas during the 1930s is one the most significant manifestations of the early stage of the Modern Movement
Links: Wikipedia (Kaunas), Google Image Search (Kaunas Modernism)

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#191 | Posted: 5 May 2020 12:04 
Sjobe:
Kaunas 1919-1939: The Capital Inspired by the Modern Movement

Second this one. Unique.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#192 | Posted: 5 May 2020 13:50 
I'm catching up on the proposals from Turkey now.

I'll give a second to Íznik for the crucial role it played in early Christianity through hosting the councils at Nicaea, and it looks like the remaining ruins represent several periods of history.

I'll also give a second to the Theatre and Aqueducts of the Ancient City of Aspendos -- everything I read and seen seems to indicate this intact Roman theater is incredible, and the nomination package makes a compelling case for why the use of siphons in these aqueducts differentiates them from other Roman aqueducts already inscribed as World Heritage Sites.

The only other site that I'm really close on seconding is the Wooden Roofed and Wooden Columned Mosques in Anatolia. The mosques look beautiful, but I'm not entirely certain whether I could make a case for them to make Top 50.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#193 | Posted: 5 May 2020 14:19 
And from the whiteboard thread:

Sjobe:
Ukraine is a large country and I have thought that it would have some interesting sites. But there haven't been any interest yet.

I hadn't spent time looking at the Ukraine sites either, but after reviewing them, I'll give a second to the Cultural Landscape of Canyon in Kamenets-Podilsk. This city looks like it has risen up out of a fairy tale in Eastern Europe, and it looks like there are many historic buildings still standing. The reviews on this site also make a compelling case.

I'll also give a second to the Historic Center of the Port City of Odessa. The city dates back to the time of Catherine the Great, although the inscribed section relies upon the plan devised during the reign of Alexander I in the 19th century. The city fused together cultures of Eastern Europe, including Bulgarians, Gkeks, Armenians, Jews, Italians, Moldavians, Poles, Russians, Romanians, Tatars and Ukrainians; and the city was largely spared from bombardment during the Second World War. The Odessa Steps are one of the most recognizable components of this proposal.

Author Assif
Partaker
#194 | Posted: 5 May 2020 15:50 | Edited by: Assif 
Sjobe:
Mud Volcanoes of Azerbaijan

Sjobe:
Areni Cave / Historical remains of Areni

My support to these two.

Author FredericM
Partaker
#195 | Posted: 5 May 2020 17:50 
Assif:
Will you make an official nomination?

What would be the procedure to extend the already proposed and seconded Baikonur Cosmodrome? I don't want to make them distinct proposals.

Assif:
I would support a proposal combined with Russian TWHS Commander Islands. Together they would cover the Bering Sea, which is currently unrepresented.

I wasn't aware of this T site. Totally make sense.

Page  Page 13 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  12  13  14  ...  19  20  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 - Europe and North America [2020]
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑