World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 - Europe and North America [2020]

Page  Page 10 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  9  10  11  ...  19  20  Next »

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#136 | Posted: 3 May 2020 18:03 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Jurre:
How authentic are these plants? Is it just the exterior that is left? Are there any remains of the early automotive industry?

I feel we're glancing over authenticity where other sites get scrutinized more about "what's left"

Check the Wikipedia links (if you did not already), all three are National Historic Landmarks, which represents national importance as evaluated by the National Park Service. Plenty of authenticity remains and all can be publicly toured. Though I would be interested to see how ICOMOS would evaluate the 3 sites (especially the last). The Ford River Rouge Complex is still used by the Ford Motor Company, but the last car to be manufactured here was in 2004, and (as far as I understand) only the F-150 is still manufactured at this facility. The Ford River Rouge Factory has certainly went through many changes/renovations since 1927. It's important to understand the size of this site at 900 acres (360 ha), basically a city. I did not propose this site, but as I saw it move forward (already approved), I just wanted to make sure it was as authentic as possible.

On a side note, every fully realized/seconded proposal for the US here, I will submit during the next public comment period (which will probably be 2026?). So the better the nomination proposal, the better chance I'll have when trying to get any of these sites on the next US Tentative List! Basically, the NPS panel evaluates the public proposals and determine which have potential for OUV and then stakeholders are contacted to determine interest. I was on the NPS group call last time in 2016 as they officially announced the new nominations, interesting for any world heritage nerd.

Author FredericM
Partaker
#137 | Posted: 3 May 2020 22:02 
Thanks for this moratorium, it took me quite a lot of time today to get through 9 pages of fascinating stuff. I will therefore only react/second sites here and wait for my own proposals.

Jurre:
Full name of site: Death Valley National Park

I will second this.

elsslots:
I was looking for an Arctic site in Canada. First thought about (Northern) Baffin Island, for its Narwhal & Polar Bear sightings.
But found a probably even better one at Canada's T List

Jurre:
Sjobe:
Svalbard Archipelago (T) Norway

I support this one. The Arctic is not strongly represented on the WHL. The Arctic region is also a Global Priority Place ("Arctic Seas & Associated Boreal/Tundra - Protecting Arctic Environments").

I am happy to see arctic sites here as this biome is very underrepresented. I will propose other soon.

Assif:
Site: South Georgia Island

I also fully agree with this, but I would like to extend it to the whole South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands Marine Protected Area. It is one of the world's largest MPAs, covering an area of 1.24 million km2 (an area 5 x larger than the UK). It was established in 2012 with the aim of conserving the rich marine biodiversity within the Territory's maritime zone. It would thus include Zavodovski Island, which is home to around a million pairs of breeding chinstrap penguins, which is the largest besides Antarctica.

nfmungard:
Hebrides Islands, UK
Type: M
OUV: From the scenic mountains of Skye to the Tweet traditions of Harris, the Hebrides are a special cultural place.

Finally, this sounds promising but I would like to hear more before supporting.

Author Assif
Partaker
#138 | Posted: 4 May 2020 03:05 
FredericM:
I also fully agree with this, but I would like to extend it to the whole South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands Marine Protected Area.

A good proposal.

Colvin:
was wondering if you had a particular preference to have Tobolsk represent Russia's settlement of the Far East rather than the Historic Center of Yenisseiysk,

I have never been to Russia, let alone Siberia. It would be certainly interesting to hear first hand impressions from someone who has been there.
Tobolsk is the second oldest Russian settlement in Siberia after Tyumen and is about 100 years older than both Yeniseysk and Irkutsk. It used to serve as the administrative Siberian capital, which led to its monumental architecture, mostly its Kremlin, which sets it aside from both TWHS. Lastly, similar to Yeniseysk, but unlike Irkutsk, Tobolsk was not connected to the west with the Transsibberian Railway, which meant it was saved massive development which affected the authenticity of Irkutsk, so it seems.
Yenseysk seems visually different to Tobolsk, mostly featuring wooden architecture from the 18th century. Tobolsk, on the other hand, is mostly about monumental stone architecture. It would probably make sense to inscribe both.

Author Sjobe
Partaker
#139 | Posted: 4 May 2020 06:03 
Colvin:
I was wondering if you had a particular preference to have Tobolsk represent Russia's settlement of the Far East rather than the Historic Center of Yenisseiysk, which is on Russia's Tentative List?

I just checked that I have voted for Tobolsk in the last edition on Top 50 Missing Sites. No, I have not been there, or Yeniseysk or Irkutsk. I would still support Tobolsk for its history in Siberia and well preserved Kreml, but there is one thing that makes me hesitate – all what is left is basically a Kreml. And Kremls are already well represented in WHS, just like Central European cathedrals (not that much) or medinas in North Africa. OK, the location of Tobolsk east of Ural makes it special compared to some of the best uninscribed Kremls (Rostov, Astrakhan) but still.

I agree that there are lots of WHS potential in Russia, especially natural. On cultural side I would turn my attention towards not exactly Russian areas and nationalities: for example Caucasus, Karelia, far north and far east.

Author Assif
Partaker
#140 | Posted: 4 May 2020 07:57 | Edited by: Assif 
Sjobe:
I agree that there are lots of WHS potential in Russia, especially natural. On cultural side I would turn my attention towards not exactly Russian areas and nationalities: for example Caucasus, Karelia, far north and far east.

I completely agree, although modern and technical heritage is also completely missing.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#141 | Posted: 4 May 2020 08:16 
Assif:
I am happy to see arctic sites here as this biome is very underrepresented. I will propose other soon.

An interesting link on this subject, with a presentation of the Potential OUV in the Arctic:

https://portals.iucn.org/library/sites/library/files/documents/2017-006.pdf

Another study to consider, concerning the High Seas, page 29:

https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000245467

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#142 | Posted: 4 May 2020 10:07 
Already seconded -
Hecate Strait and Queen Charlotte Sound Glass Sponge Reefs - Sound Glass Sponge Reefs
Volcanic and forest areas of Martinique
Sites mégalithiques de Carnac -One of the largest such collection in the world
Minoan palaces of Crete
Ancient City of Kaunos -Lycian
Oxford and Cambridge -Historic university

Vespasianus Titus Tunnel
- Vespasian Titus Tunnel is one of the world's largest water tunnels with a cross section.It is one of the unique examples of Roman engineering with its planning and implementation process.

Mausoleum of Hecatomnus

Mausoleum of Hecatomnus put forward important contributions on how to complete the re-construction/representation of the burial room of the Mausoleum atHalicarnassus, Bodrum (Tomb of Mausolus) which is one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.

Wooden Roofed and Wooden Columned Mosques in Anatolia
- Typical Antolian style. Wooden columned and wooden roofed mosques compose a special building group in Turkish-Islamic architecture in Anatolia. ( concentrated in Konya, Ankara and Kastamonu from Anatolian Seljuks period and Beyliks period). Ornaments on wooden surfaces in these mosques are one of the best prototypes of its period. These ornaments are generally is in good condition despite of centuries.

Theatre and Aqueducts of the Ancient City of Aspendos

the site of Aspendos houses one of the best preserved ancient theatre of the world having a façade of approximately 100 meters wide and 22 meters high. It has impressive level of preservation and the richness of its architectural decorations. Aspendos‟ aqueducts is one of the highest Roman constructions with extremely well preserved siphons.

Petrified Forest National Park - Desert

one of the premier places in the world for the study of the ecosystem of the Late Triassic Epoch. It contains the most notably vast, colorful, and well preserved, largest deposits of petrified wood in the world, as well as important fossils of plants and animals, including early dinosaurs

Author Colvin
Partaker
#143 | Posted: 4 May 2020 10:28 | Edited by: Colvin 
Assif:
Yenseysk seems visually different to Tobolsk, mostly featuring wooden architecture from the 18th century. Tobolsk, on the other hand, is mostly about monumental stone architecture. It would probably make sense to inscribe both.

Sure, that would make sense. I haven't been to either city, but I was wondering if anyone had insight into why Russia thought Yenisseisk was a better choice to put onto its TWHS list. At any rate, they both seem to be deserving candidates.

As for Irkutsk, I have been there, and I liked the variety of architecture and the sense of history in the city. I think the distinctive "Siberian Baroque" style on display, the extensive traditional wooden architecture, and the influence the Decembrists had in developing Irkutsk into the "Paris of Siberia" would make this a compelling addition to the list. Top 50? I don't know. I'll have to decide if I want to put it forward as a proposal.

Author Assif
Partaker
#144 | Posted: 4 May 2020 11:01 | Edited by: Assif 
kkanekahn:
Petrified Forest National Park - Desert

My support for Petrified Forest NP for its fossils.

kkanekahn:
Volcanic and forest areas of Martinique

I can't see it has been seconded.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#145 | Posted: 4 May 2020 11:14 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Assif:
support for Petrified Forest NP

Here is the link to the Tentative Nomination, Petrified Forest National Park

Here is a summary that adds a bit more detail.

Located "on the southern part of the Colorado Plateau. It was set aside in 1906 to preserve the scientific value of paleontological resources of the Late Triassic period (some 225 to 205 million years ago), most notably vast, colorful, and well preserved deposits of petrified wood. This park, with its scenic vistas and spectacles of colorful rocks, is one of the premier places in the world for the study of the ecosystem of the Late Triassic Epoch. It contains the largest deposits of petrified wood in the world, as well as important fossils of plants and animals, including early dinosaurs."

If you want to see pictures, feel free to visit my Flickr Album

Author Colvin
Partaker
#146 | Posted: 4 May 2020 13:13 | Edited by: Colvin 
Since nominations are open again, here is a transnational one for Canada and the US:

Full Name of Site: Fur Trading Centers of the Northwest
TWHS? No
Short description of site: The fur trade was instrumental to the exploration, colonization, and economic development of northwest Canada and the United States. The Hudson's Bay Company and the North West Company were the preeminent British fur trading companies in North America between the late 17th century and the early 19th century, when they were merged. The Hudson's Bay Company relied on establishing factories (trading posts) where First Nations peoples could bring furs to trade, while the North West Company hired French pedlars, also known as coureur des bois, who would travel out to First Nation villages to conduct trade in furs. These companies fostered an exchange of culture between European settlers and First Nations peoples and exerted influence in the colonization and later incorporation of western Canada into the Confederation. Recommended properties include the York Factory, the Hudson's Bay Company's main post, located on the Hudson Bay; the Grand Portage, an 8.5-mile canoe portage trail in the US state of Minnesota vital to trade in furs between First Nations peoples and North West Company pedlars; and the Fur Trade at Lachine National Historic Site, a former North West Company fur warehouse near Montreal dating back to the early 19th century.

Criteria: Cultural
Outstanding universal value / comparative analysis: Red Bay Basque Whaling Station, Pimachiowin Aki, Silk Roads: the Routes Network of Chang'an-Tianshan Corridor

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#147 | Posted: 4 May 2020 13:43 | Edited by: winterkjm 
For those interested in Canada's World Heritage program, when their updated tentative list was published in 2018, this was the end of an extensive process. Nonetheless, Canada's tentative list as it stands is already filled with some excellent nominations.

42 proposals were made to add to Canada's Tentative List

"42 properties were proposed by Canadians for inclusion on Canada's Tentative List for World Heritage Sites. The sites represent a diverse mix of Canada's natural and cultural heritage."

Colvin:
Full Name of Site: Fur Trading Centers of the Northwest

Very interesting proposal, working now though, so I will have to explore this more in depth soon. :)

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#148 | Posted: 4 May 2020 15:24 | Edited by: winterkjm 
FredericM:
and wait for my own proposals.

I am certainly curious to see what your proposals are?

Author Colvin
Partaker
#149 | Posted: 4 May 2020 15:30 
winterkjm:
42 proposals were made to add to Canada's Tentative List

Thanks for the link — very interesting to see what Canadians think is worthy of being added to the list. I'd be curious to hear from any Canadians in the forum as well about whether anything seems missing or should be proposed for Top 50.

Author Assif
Partaker
#150 | Posted: 4 May 2020 15:47 | Edited by: Assif 
jonathanfr:
Another study to consider, concerning the High Seas, page 29:

A major problem with the great proposals is that they are situated in international waters and cannot be nominated by member states unless the operational guidelines are modified to allow it.

An exception could be:

Name: Bermuda Blue Halo Marine Reserve
TWHS: no
Description: The Bermuda Government is currently holding a public consultation regarding the creation of a marine reserve to protect the waters surrounding Bermuda. The reserve being considered would encompass a portion of Bermuda's Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ), which extends out 200 nautical miles from the island. It will protect a significant portion of Sargasso Sea.
As Earth's only sea without a land boundary, the Sargasso Sea contains expansive mats of free-floating brown algae called Sargassum, which reproduces vegetatively without attaching to the seafloor. This prolific alga provides structural habitat to diverse species in search of shelter, nurseries, and spawning and feeding areas. Below the surface, common fauna include pipefish, snails, anglerfish, shrimp, crabs, turtles, and even river eels.
Criteria: natural

Page  Page 10 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  9  10  11  ...  19  20  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 - Europe and North America [2020]
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑