World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

TOP 50 - ASIA AND THE PACIFIC [2020]

Page  Page 9 of 14:  « Previous  1  ...  8  9  10  ...  14  Next »

Author Assif
Partaker
#121 | Posted: 23 Apr 2020 13:10 
winterkjm:
Eastern Mongolian Steppes

Yes, certainly!

Author Assif
Partaker
#122 | Posted: 23 Apr 2020 15:40 | Edited by: Assif 
Site: Ustyurt Plateau
Countries: Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan
TWHS: no
Description: The Cold Winter Deserts of Central Asia, where several protected areas in Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan could qualify as components for a possible World Heritage listing, are an example of this potential (of new WHS). No such cold winter deserts feature on the World Heritage list to date. These unique landscapes harbour emblematic species for this region, including wild herds of the vulnerable goitered gazelle, the Asiatic wild ass and the urial. They also serve as an important breeding and migratory areas for bird species such as the eastern imperial eagle, the houbara bustard or the saker falcon. These areas are currently threatened by overexploitation and large-scale infrastructure development. A possible World Heritage status would help strengthen their conservation.
https://www.iucn.org/news/eastern-europe-and-central-asia/202002/cold-winter-deserts-central-asia-among-potential-world-heritage-sites-new-iucn-report-finds
https://www.worldatlarge.news/discovery-travel/the-cold-winter-deserts-of-central-asia-world-heritage-site
https://www.worldwildlife.org/ecoregions/pa1310
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ustyurt_Plateau
Criteria: natural
Comparative analysis: Gobi

Author Assif
Partaker
#123 | Posted: 23 Apr 2020 17:13 
Re: Papua
After some research I think Kikori River Basin, covering 6% of PNG, is the most "representative" TWHS from the Papuan tentative list.
"There are few landscapes in Melanesia as dramatic with features including the extinct volcano of Mt Bosavi, cockpit and needle karst of the extensive Darai limestone, remarkable Hegigio Gorge and the spectacular Wassi and Wawoi waterfalls. The Kikori basin / Great Papuan Plateau contains one of the largest remaining tracts of undisturbed forest in the Southern Hemisphere. The catchment spans across nearly all forest types found in PNG, from alpine and montane forests in the north, to increasingly rare intact lowland forests in the south, to the largest block of mangrove forest in the Pacific." (TWHS description)

Author FredericM
Partaker
#124 | Posted: 23 Apr 2020 18:28 
Assif:
@FredericM: I have also proposed natural sites for Central Asia and SE Asia. I think both areas deserve more natural sites. Maybe you have other ideas?

I don't much about these regions and haven't done researches yet. I will try to look for highly valuable sites. Looking back at your proposal I would actually like to support this one.

Assif:
Name: Tigrovaya Balka Nature Reserve
TWHS: yes
Description: The 460 km2 reserve is described by the WWF as the most important nature reserve in Central Asia, because of its large size and ecological diversity. In addition it is very important for rare species of tugay, or riparian forest, ecosystems. The highest elevations reach about 1,200 m above sea level. The climate is continental and dry, the different habitats of Tigrovaya Balka comprise semideserts, savanna-like grasslands with pistachio trees and tugay vegetation with poplars, Russian silverberry and high grasses.

Author FredericM
Partaker
#125 | Posted: 23 Apr 2020 18:35 
Assif:
I do not necessarily think Trans-Fly is better, but it represents, among others, the mangrove ecoregion, which has been cited by IUCN as an important missing habitat in Papua. Moreover, it is proposed as a transnational nomination with Indonesia. Maybe we should put both forward.

Assif:
After some research I think Kikori River Basin, covering 6% of PNG, is the most "representative" TWHS from the Papuan tentative list.

I wouldn't have a problem putting all three sites forward now. They all seem great to me but hard to tell apart. I understand they all contain numerous ecosystems representative of New Guinea and diverse flora and fauna including endemic species. However, how they differentiate from each other is harder to figure out.

Author Assif
Partaker
#126 | Posted: 24 Apr 2020 00:55 
FredericM:
I wouldn't have a problem putting all three sites forward now.

This is something I can certainly live with. So my support to all three as well.
For Els, these are Trans-Fly, Owen Stanley Ranges and Kikori.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#127 | Posted: 24 Apr 2020 03:36 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Transnational proposal between China and North Korea.

Full Name of Site: Sacred Mountain Landscape: Changbai Range and Mt Paektu
TWHS? Vertical Vegetation Landscape and Volcanic Landscape in Changbai Mountain added to China's tentative list in 2017. Mt Paektu Global Geopark (North Korea) applying for UNESCO Geopark status in 2020

Short description of site: The mountain has been worshiped by the surrounding peoples throughout history. Both the Koreans and Manchus consider it sacred, especially the Heaven Lake in its crater.

"the world's highest volcanic crater lake" - UNESCO Nomination Description

"The 946 eruption of Paektu Mountain in Korea and China, also known as the Millennium Eruption or Tianchi eruption, was one of the most powerful volcanic eruptions in recorded history and is classified as a VEI 7 event." - Wikipedia

Criteria: Mixed
Outstanding universal value / comparative analysis: Volcanoes of Kamchatka (Russia), Mount Kumgang (North Korea), Mount Fuji (Japan), Jeju Volcanic Island and Lava Tubes (South Korea)

Author Assif
Partaker
#128 | Posted: 24 Apr 2020 04:49 | Edited by: Assif 
winterkjm:
Sacred Mountain Landscape: Changbai Range and Mt Paektu

I support this proposal. Specifically transnational cultural sites are missing outside Europe and here the transnational concept seems justified.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#129 | Posted: 24 Apr 2020 13:29 
Assif:
Site: Ustyurt Plateau
Countries: Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan

I would support this missing gap on the world heritage list.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#130 | Posted: 24 Apr 2020 13:39 | Edited by: winterkjm 
The Asia and the Pacific region (defined by UNESCO) is incredibly large, so I broke the region down to see what we might be overlooking.

- No approved proposals for Vietnam, Kyrgyzstan, or Bangladesh
- Only 1 approved proposal each for Thailand, Japan, Pakistan, Cambodia, Laos, Bhutan, Nepal and Malaysia

Northeast Asia 24
China (13 approved proposals)
Japan (1 approved proposal)
Mongolia (2 approved proposals)
North Korea (3 approved proposals)
Republic of Korea (4 approved proposals)
Taiwan (1 approved proposal)

Central Asia 16
Afghanistan (3 approved proposals)
Iran (3 approved proposals)
Kazakhstan (2 approved proposal)
Pakistan (1 approved proposal)
Tajikistan (2 approved proposals)
Turkmenistan (1 approved proposal)
Uzbekistan (4 approved proposals)

Southeast Asia 29
Bhutan (1 approved proposal)
Cambodia (1 approved proposal)
India (8 approved proposals)
Indonesia (4 approved proposals)
Laos (1 approved proposal)
Malaysia (1 approved proposal)
Maldives (1 approved proposal)
Myanmar (3 approved proposals)
Nepal (1 approved proposal)
Philippines (7 approved proposals)
Thailand (1 approved proposal)

Oceana/Pacific 15
Australia (3 approved proposals)
Fiji (2 approved proposals)
Micronesia (1 approved proposal)
New Zealand (2 approved proposals)
Palau (1 approved proposal)
PNG (2 approved proposals)
Samoa (1 approved proposal)
Timor Leste (1 approved proposal)
Tonga (1 approved proposal)
Vanuatu (1 approved proposal)

Zero Approved Proposals:
Bangladesh (3 WHS)
Brunei Darussalam (0 WHS)
Cook Islands (0 WHS)
Kiribati (1 WHS)
Kyrgyzstan (3 WHS)
Marshall Islands (1 WHS)
Nauru (0 WHS)
Niue (0 WHS)
Singapore (1 WHS)
Solomon Islands (1 WHS)
Sri Lanka (8 WHS)
Tuvalu (0 WHS)
Viet Nam (8 WHS)

Author Colvin
Partaker
#131 | Posted: 24 Apr 2020 14:29 | Edited by: Colvin 
winterkjm:
- No approved proposals for Vietnam, Kyrgyzstan, or Bangladesh

So I've been a bit busy this week, but there is a site that seems like an interesting one for Bangladesh.

Full Name of Site: Panam Nagar, Sanargaon -- Center of the Muslin Trade
TWHS? No
Short description of site: Sonargaon is a city with centuries of Muslim and Hindu rule, and was a former port and capital of Bengal between the thirteenth and fifteenth centuries. The city was also a historic trading center, central to the muslin trade in Bangladesh during the 17th and 18th century. The British East India Company arrived in the 19th century and helped develop the Panam Nagar section of the city, in order to purchase muslin and other textile goods. This neighborhood contains over 50 historic buildings built by Hindu merchants but later abandoned in the 20th century. This former textile trading center has been declared a protected heritage site by the Bangladeshi government.

Criteria: Cultural
Outstanding universal value / comparative analysis: Silk Roads: the Routes Network of Chang'an-Tianshan Corridor

Author Colvin
Partaker
#132 | Posted: 24 Apr 2020 14:41 
Also, looking back at the list for some sights that have not been seconded yet, I'll second Baikonur Cosmodrome, the Coral Stone Mosques of the Maldives, the Cretaceous Dinosaur Fossil Sites in the Mongolian Gobi (which I already seconded, but if as proposed a site just be put forward as The Great Gobi Desert, encompassing all the Gobi desert nominations, I'd be in favor of that), Napier, Ustyurt Plateau, Colonial Hanoi, and Ban-Gioc Waterfall.

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#133 | Posted: 24 Apr 2020 16:23 
winterkjm:
Only 1 approved proposal each for Thailand, Japan, Pakistan, Cambodia, Laos, Bhutan, Nepal and Malaysia

Pakistan should have 2 sites - Harappa, Central Karakoram NP
What to do about Indian sites which was earlier proposed & I amended

1) Ranakpur changed to Ranakpur & Dilwara Temples - I changed as both have similar Jain marble intrinsic carving Marvel architecture. Also, Dilwara was proposed in 2014 list.
2) Gol Gumbaz changed to Deccan monuments - To sync with TL

If anyone does not support my ammendments, then I will have to second with earlier proposal suggested in the forum

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#134 | Posted: 24 Apr 2020 17:02 
kkanekahn:
Ranakpur & Dilwara Temples - I changed as both have similar Jain marble intrinsic carving Marvel architecture. Also, Dilwara was proposed in 2014 list.

I voted for this proposal in my Top Missing for 2014 (#73) and I will do so again now. It never cracked the Top 50 missing or even the Top 50 Remaining Missing after several sites were inscribed.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#135 | Posted: 25 Apr 2020 01:03 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Colvin:
Panam Nagar, Sanargaon -- Center of the Muslin Trade

This looks promising an intact urban ensemble of sites, I support this proposal. Does Solvigant or Els have any thoughts on any quintessential sites in Bangladesh to be considered for Top 50 Missing? Based on your reviews, you both seemed to have preference for these sites, no?

Puthia Temple Complex

Kantajew Temple

"Unfortunately I doubt that Mahansthangarh will ever make it on to the World Heritage List. Bangladesh has a couple of more interesting sites on offer, of which I especially liked Puthia and Kantanagar. These sadly don't figure on the current Tentative List of Bangladesh." - Els Review

"Kantaji Temple" together with "Sonargaon" and "Puthia" (in the form of the Govinda Temple - but the whole of this atmospheric village estate should be preserved)." Solivagant Review

Page  Page 9 of 14:  « Previous  1  ...  8  9  10  ...  14  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 TOP 50 - ASIA AND THE PACIFIC [2020]
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑