World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

TOP 50 - ASIA AND THE PACIFIC [2020]

Page  Page 8 of 14:  « Previous  1  ...  7  8  9  ...  13  14  Next »

Author wojtek
Partaker
#106 | Posted: 22 Apr 2020 17:17 
I see Great Wall of Gorgan attracted a lot of attention. I tried to visit this site properly during my trip to Iran but failed. Please give me any material evidence of this structure which is worth visiting and is not reconstruced (i.e. may convince ICOMOS).

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#107 | Posted: 22 Apr 2020 17:30 | Edited by: winterkjm 
FredericM:
Name: Taroko National Park
THWS: no
Description: The park covers 1200 sq km, rising from sea level to over 3700m, incorporating 27 peaks over 3000m. Almost all Taiwan's bio-geographical zones are represented here, along with half the island's plant and animal species. Renowned for geological uplifting and erosion by the Liwu River, which has formed a U-shaped, 1,000-meter-deep limestone canyon that is currently one of the largest marble canyons known to mankind. Most of Taroko National Park is undisturbed wilderness, and its wildlife is diverse. So far, 152 species of birds have been recorded in the park, including 14 species unique to Taiwan. In addition, 46 species of large mammals, including the black bear, Formosan Macaque, Formosan Serow, Formosan wild boar, and Formosan Sambar Deer are found in abundance.
Criteria: Natural

Full support, I loved visiting this national park. But also I hesitated to propose it because so much of the other potential sites in Taiwan remain unknown to me.

Khuft:
Great Tibetan monasteries - a serial site of the most important monasteries in Tibet (be it from the dominant Yellow Hat sect, or from other sects). This could include monasteries such as Labrang, Palcho, Ganden, Sera, Drepung, Palpung, and others.

I would also fully support this. So impressive.

kkanekahn:
Southwestern Coast Tidal Flats

I personally love this nomination, but its probably a stretch for Top 50 Missing. We had it placed at #116 in our first iteration of the Top Missing List. Either way, we might hear from IUCN fairly soon if this nomination will be inscribed.

Author FredericM
Partaker
#108 | Posted: 22 Apr 2020 17:43 | Edited by: FredericM 
I also want to propose a site for Papua New Guinea. With the incredible biodiversity of New Guinea, both countries on the island deserve good natural sites I think. It's not easy to tell which site is the best, but I think this one is great. Trans-Fly Complex and Upper Sepik River Basin are the other sites I considered proposing. Let me know if you believe they are actually better than this one.

Name: Kokoda Track and Owen Stanley Ranges
THWS: yes
Description: The Owen Stanley Ranges is one of the most biologically important areas in the Asia Pacific. The 3,800 m high Ranges are a significant element of the globally outstanding (G200) South East Papua Rainforest Ecoregion. Extreme altitudinal and climatic variation have produced a rich variety of vegetation types from savanna to monsoon forest, lowland rainforest and cloud forest. Some of the most extensive and least disturbed subalpine herb and grasslands in New Guinea are found on Mount Albert Edward. The Owen Stanley Mountains Centre of Plant Diversity has one of the richest floras of any mountain range in New Guinea with more that 4000 plant species including many local endemics. The Owen Stanley forests provide habitat for endemic birds of paradise, bowerbirds, finches, wallabies, rats and numerous species of butterflies and aquatic insects including a number of endangered or critically endangered species. The Central Papuan Mountains Endemic Bird Area is one of the richest areas for endemic birds on earth with 510 species (almost two thirds of all New Guinea birds) and 40 endemic or near endemic species.
Criteria: Mixed

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#109 | Posted: 22 Apr 2020 21:39 
kkanekahn

Sacred landscape of Kailash & Desert landscape of Mangolian Gobi were already suggested by other members. Hence. I will just second that.

Ranakpur, Gol Gumbaz were already suggested. But, I wished to include them in serial nomination.

Author Assif
Partaker
#110 | Posted: 23 Apr 2020 02:13 
FredericM:
Trans-Fly Complex and Upper Sepik River Basin are the other sites I considered proposing. Let me know if you believe they are actually better than this one.

I do not necessarily think Trans-Fly is better, but it represents, among others, the mangrove ecoregion, which has been cited by IUCN as an important missing habitat in Papua. Moreover, it is proposed as a transnational nomination with Indonesia. Maybe we should put both forward.

Author Assif
Partaker
#111 | Posted: 23 Apr 2020 02:24 
@FredericM: I have also proposed natural sites for Central Asia and SE Asia. I think both areas deserve more natural sites. Maybe you have other ideas?

Author Assif
Partaker
#112 | Posted: 23 Apr 2020 02:31 
Name: Baikonur Cosmodrome
TWHS: no
Description: The Cosmodrome is the world's first and largest operational space launch facility. The spaceport is currently leased by the Kazakh Government to Russia until 2050, and is managed jointly by the Roscosmos State Corporation and the Russian Aerospace Forces. It was originally built by the Soviet Union in the late 1950s as the base of operations for the Soviet space program. Many historic flights lifted off from Baikonur: the first operational ICBM; the first man-made satellite, Sputnik 1, on 4 October 1957; the first spacecraft to travel close to the Moon, Luna 1, on 2 January 1959; the first manned and orbital flight by Yuri Gagarin on 12 April 1961; and the flight of the first woman in space, Valentina Tereshkova, in 1963. 14 cosmonauts of 13 other nations, such as Czechoslovakia, East Germany, India and France, started their journeys from here as well under the Interkosmos program.
Criteria: cultural

Name: Coral stone mosques
TWHS: yes
Description: Construction in ancient Maldives was mainly dependent on the local availability of materials. Coral stone and timber were the only long lasting materials available and coral stone became the primary building material for monumental buildings. Coral stone mosques were most outstanding in their design, decoration and grandness. The walls of the mosques are built of finely shaped interlocking coral blocks. The amount of detail and decoration that goes into these buildings simply displays the extent of the skill of the local people.

Name: Nagari Sijunjung
Description: Traditional Settlement at Nagari Sijunjung represents matrilineal system of the Minangkabau society. Not much settlement in Minangkabau area have a complete components and people living in the houses with its traditional ways. However, the clans of Sijunjung settlement are still lived in their social organization system. Traditional Settlement at Nagari Sijunjung is a representation of settlement that reflects matrilineal Minangkabau society with its rumah gadang (literally means 'big house). The main function of rumah gadang is to preserve the matrilineal system. A traditional rumah gadang is an ensign of a clan in Minangkabau society; every clan has its own traditional rumah gadang. Traditional rumah gadang also symbolizes gender equality and the dignity of female and ethnicity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumah_Gadang
Comparative analysis: Taos, Lijang

Name: Yapese money sites
Countries: Palau, Micronesia
Description: Yapese people travelled across the 400 km of open water to Palau limestone Rock Islands where they quarried their megalithic disk money. Both sites contain best examples of activities associated with quarrying of largest money in world including rock shelters, caves, complete and unfinish disk money, human remains, burials, rock alignments, retaining walls, shell middens, docks, flake debitage and artifacts.

Name: Kashgar
Description: Kashgar has served as a trading post and strategically important city on the Silk Road between China, the Middle East and Europe for over 2,000 years. Until recently it used to be best preserved old city in Central Asia. It has been torn down by the Chinese authorities, but 15% of the old city is going be preserved as an open air museum which could still justify inscription. Moreover, an inscription could guarantee the preservation of what has remained.

Name: Napier
TWHA: yes
Description: Most of the town centre was destroyed on 3 February 1931 by a major earthquake (measuring 7.9 on the Richter scale) and the ensuing fires. Napier became New Zealand's (and indeed the world's) newest city with its own Southern Hemisphere version of Art Deco style. Due to the economic climate and the number of casualties caused by falling masonry and decorative features during the earthquake, the scale of the town centre was limited to one or two storeys and the buildings were decorated with low relief ornamentation. Reinforced concrete was used in construction and the use of older materials such as bricks was shunned. Ornamental motifs used on buildings reflect all of the themes prevalent in Art Deco design, and include authentic Maori designs on both exteriors and interiors of some buildings. These motifs are seen not only in exterior low relief stucco but also in interior plasterwork, leaded glass, metal grilles, flooring and joinery.
Comparative analysis: Asmara, Miami Beach

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#113 | Posted: 23 Apr 2020 02:39 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Name: Funafuti Conservation Area
Description of site: The marine environment of the conservation area includes reef, lagoon, channel and ocean; and are home to many species of fish, corals, algae and invertebrates. The islets are nesting sites for the green sea turtle (Chelonia mydas) and Fualopa hosts a breeding colony of black noddy.The IUCN Red List identifies only the green turtle as being found in Tuvalu. The green turtle is recognised as critically endangered. The Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme (SPREP) lists two additional turtle species as being found in Tuvalu: hawksbill sea turtle (Eretmochelys Imbricate) and leatherback sea turtle (Dermochelys coriacea), with both species being recognised as critically endangered.

This is really is the only potential sites for Tuvalu, but while it could perhaps make an argument for criteria x, its very small. To give some understanding of how small, compared to Papahānaumokuākea, more than 10,000 of the reserve (Funafuti Conservation Area) could fit inside.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#114 | Posted: 23 Apr 2020 02:47 
Assif:
Name: Kashgar
Description: Kashgar has served as a trading post and strategically important city on the Silk Road between China, the Middle East and Europe for over 2,000 years. Until recently it used to be best preserved old city in Central Asia. It has been torn down by the Chinese authorities, but 15% of the old city is going be preserved as an open air museum which could still justify inscription. Moreover, an inscription could guarantee the preservation of what has remained.

Full support. These 2 sites alone make it worthy of inscription.

Id Kah Mosque, the largest mosque in China, is located in the heart of the city.

The tomb of Afaq Khoja in Kashgar is considered the holiest Muslim site in Xinjiang. Built in the 17th century, the tiled mausoleum 5 km (3.1 mi) northeast of the city centre also contains the tombs of five generations of his family. Abakh was a powerful ruler, controlling Khotan, Yarkand, Korla, Kucha and Aksu as well as Kashgar. Among some Uyghur Muslims, he was considered a great Saint (Aulia).

Author Sjobe
Partaker
#115 | Posted: 23 Apr 2020 04:07 | Edited by: Sjobe 
kkanekahn:
Silk Roads: Penjikent-Samarkand-Poykent Corridor

I support this one.

Assif:
Kashgar

This was at first on my own list but I removed it because there is not much left of the old town any more. But still, I give it my support.

wojtek:
I see Great Wall of Gorgan attracted a lot of attention. Please give me any material evidence of this structure which is worth visiting and is not reconstruced.

This is also my impression when I tried to find information about it on the internet. Mainly it is only a long and low earth mound with some small reconstructed sections. But OK, it has been quite an achievement.

Author elsslots
Admin
#116 | Posted: 23 Apr 2020 07:25 
kkanekahn:
Sacred Mountain of Kailash (6,638m) and Holy Lake of Manasarovar - Pilgrimage site for multiple religion

Has already been proposed, I note this down as a secondment

Author elsslots
Admin
#117 | Posted: 23 Apr 2020 07:32 
Khuft:
Great Tibetan monasteries

This one is already Gyantse: Palcho Monastery and Gyantse Dzong

Author elsslots
Admin
#118 | Posted: 23 Apr 2020 07:42 
Assif:
Name: Yapese money sites
Countries: Palau, Micronesia
Description: Yapese people travelled across the 400 km of open water to Palau limestone Rock Islands where they quarried their megalithic disk money. Both sites contain best examples of activities associated with quarrying of largest money in world including rock shelters, caves, complete and unfinish disk money, human remains, burials, rock alignments, retaining walls, shell middens, docks, flake debitage and artifacts.

Supporting this one!

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#119 | Posted: 23 Apr 2020 12:01 | Edited by: winterkjm 
carlosarion:
Philippines
Verde Island Passage: "Center of the center of marine shorefish biodiversity" (Springer & Carpenter, 2005)

Not sure how this got overlooked, but the Verde Island Passage is the focus of conservation groups in the region, a critical marine site. I support this proposal.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#120 | Posted: 23 Apr 2020 12:16 
I might be mistaken, but I thought there was a couple supporting posts related to the Gobi Desert (Mongolia)?

Mongolia has two particularly iconic landscapes the Great Gobi and The Eastern Mongolian Steppes.

Name: Eastern Mongolian Steppes
Description: The Eastern Mongolian Steppes are home to the largest remaining intact temperate grasslands of the Earth. The ecosystem of Eastern Mongolian Steppes is characterized by treeless flat steppes, gently rolling hills, wetlands, and interlinkages with the Khyangan Mountain Range all the way to the border with the People's Republic of China. The proposed serial property has five components with a total surface area of some 2 million ha. The Eastern Mongolian Steppes are a vast ecosystem representing the stipa grasslands of Central Asia. The Eastern Mongolian Steppes are a representative area for conservation of pristine grasslands of the steppe zone of not only Mongolia but of Central Asia; there are no comparable pristine steppe ecosystem in the world.
Criteria: natural
Comparative analysis: Serengeti, Saryaka - Steppe and Lakes of Northern Kazakhstan

Page  Page 8 of 14:  « Previous  1  ...  7  8  9  ...  13  14  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 TOP 50 - ASIA AND THE PACIFIC [2020]
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑