World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 - Arab States [2020]

Page  Page 7 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

Author Assif
Partaker
#91 | Posted: 10 Apr 2020 15:57 
Assif:
Ebla (Syria) probably to be combined with Mari (Syria) - Both cities were major political centres of Mesopotamian cultures roughly between 2500 and 1500 BC. Multiple structures survived, even including murals. Both are TWHS. Mesopotamian cultures are probably still underrepresented despite the recent inscription of Ahwar (with Ur, Uruk, Eridu) and Babylon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebla
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mari,_Syria

Jurre:
Full name of site: Ebla (Tell Mardikh)

@Jurre: I've already proposed Ebla, so there are two of us backing it already. I suggested it to be combined with its contemporary local rival, Mari.

Author Assif
Partaker
#92 | Posted: 10 Apr 2020 16:21 
warwass:
Empty Quarter

I support this.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#93 | Posted: 10 Apr 2020 17:20 
Assif:
@Jurre: I've already proposed Ebla, so there are two of us backing it already. I suggested it to be combined with its contemporary local rival, Mari.

Oops, sorry, I've overlooked that!

Author Assif
Partaker
#94 | Posted: 11 Apr 2020 15:46 | Edited by: Assif 
I backed White Desert NP which is now included in Great Desert Landscapes - The Qattara Depression & the Great Sand Sea. I would like to support this larger nomination.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#95 | Posted: 11 Apr 2020 18:42 | Edited by: Jurre 
A more unusual and less grand proposal, but nevertheless quite interesting, I think.

Full name of site: Desert kites of the Middle East
TWHS?: no
Short description of site: (Wikipedia) Desert kites are constructions aimed at trapping game animals, found in the Middle East. The constructions are generally believed to have been used "to catch herds of wild ungulates." They appear in deserts and are most common in eastern Jordan. Some also appear in the Negev Desert of Israel and Sinai Desert of Egypt. One review of 16 desert kites from the Negev and northeast Sinai found that desert kites in these deserts were established in the late 4th millennium BCE or early 3rd millennium BCE and had ceased to function by the middle of the 2nd millennium BCE.
Desert kites consist of long dry-stone walls converging on a neck which opens into a confined space which was used as the killing floor. The length of the walls can run to hundreds of metres and can be best seen from the air. They were given their name by pilots who first saw them from the air in the 1920s. Almost 2,000 have been identified across Jordan and Syria.
Criteria: Cultural
Comparable sites: Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump

Author warwass
Partaker
#96 | Posted: 12 Apr 2020 11:32 
Jurre
Yes, I spent two days in Jibla during my 3 week journey in Yemen in December 2009.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#97 | Posted: 14 Apr 2020 01:12 
I've seen no proposals for Lebanon. Their new tentative list of 10 nominations in 2019, might reveal some worthy candidates?

https://whc.unesco.org/en/statesparties/lb

Author elsslots
Admin
#98 | Posted: 14 Apr 2020 06:33 
winterkjm:
I've seen no proposals for Lebanon. Their new tentative list of 10 nominations in 2019, might reveal some worthy candidates?
https://whc.unesco.org/en/statesparties/lb

Given the (small) size of Lebanon, I think it is already well-represented.
A possibility could be the Commemorative stelae of Nahr el-Kalb. It is already part of UNESCO's Memory of the World register, where it might fit better.

From my own experience with Lebanon, I liked the Beiteddine Palace.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#99 | Posted: 16 Apr 2020 16:00 | Edited by: winterkjm 
elsslots:
I have to throw this one in of course:

Full name of site: Lalish
TWHS?: no
Short description of site: Holiest place of the Yazidis. Consists of a temple complex with shrines and the tomb of Sheikh Adi ibn Musafir, a central figure of the Yazidi faith. Active place of pilgrimage.
Criteria: Cultural

See my pics: https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=32282344%40N08&sort=date-taken-desc&text=lalesh&view_all=1
And https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lalish

Els proposal just became a tentative nomination today!

Lalish Temple (Iraq)

Author elsslots
Admin
#100 | Posted: 17 Apr 2020 01:27 
We will wrap the Arab States nominations up today - so last chance to second a proposal or add your own!

Author Colvin
Partaker
#101 | Posted: 17 Apr 2020 03:29 
I'll second the Desert Kites of Jordan.

Looking at the spreadsheet, the description of The Empty Quarter is rather long. If you're going to consider the 'Uruq Bani Mu'arid Protected Area TWHS superseded by Rub' al-Khali, Empty Quarter, then I might recommend you also borrow from some of the text for that TWHS, which succinctly states that: The Empty Quarter is renowned as probably the largest continuous sand sea on Earth and the only major tropical sand desert of Asia. The Rub' al-Khali desert embraces the best representation of the iconic wilderness of Arabia, and includes perhaps the world's largest longitudinal sand dunes.

Also, there is no text for the Roman cities of Eastern Algeria. I personally think that the Augustinian route proposed by Algeria as a TWHS is not a bad route for Algeria to pursue to get these Roman sites inscribed, since there are already fine Roman sites inscribed in Algeria and across North Africa. Augustine was one of the most influential players in Western philosophy and Western religions, and if Martin Luther can be recognized for the impact he made in Christianity, then surely a case could be made to recognize the significant role a North African (as well as the early churches in Roman cities in North Africa) has played in shaping Western thought. It's not a perfect justification to get all of the Roman cities recommended inscribed, but I think it is a better chance to get them recognized in an already crowded field of North African Roman sites. Does Sjobe have any particular recommendations for a summary of the Roman cities of Eastern Algeria?

Author Sjobe
Partaker
#102 | Posted: 17 Apr 2020 04:58 | Edited by: Sjobe 
elsslots:
We will wrap the Arab States nominations up today - so last chance to second a proposal or add your own!

Well, I have waited that some nerdy Star Wars fanatic (I'm not) WHS enthusiast want to lift this:
Habitat troglodytique et le monde des ksour du Sud tunisien (T) (Tunisia)
Including the famous Matmata, Medenine, and so forth. Star Wars or not, I think this could be an interesting one.

Author Sjobe
Partaker
#103 | Posted: 17 Apr 2020 05:31 
Colvin:
Does Sjobe have any particular recommendations for a summary of the Roman cities of Eastern Algeria?

I can try to make a summary of Augustinian route and Constantine.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#104 | Posted: 17 Apr 2020 12:14 
Sjobe:
Well, I have waited that some nerdy Star Wars fanatic (I'm not) WHS enthusiast want to lift this:
Habitat troglodytique et le monde des ksour du Sud tunisien (T) (Tunisia)

Ah, the Tataouine sites (amongst others) that influenced a world-famous movie! I'm not sure how they stand up against other sites on the list (I see they talk about Petra, a site in Algeria, and the Cliff of Bandiagara in Mali), but they are certainly recognizable. I'll give that a second.

Sjobe:
I can try to make a summary of Augustinian route and Constantine.

Thanks! And if that was your review of Timgad, that was a great review!

Author elsslots
Admin
#105 | Posted: 17 Apr 2020 14:17 
Locking this topic now, so we can move on to another continent!

Page  Page 7 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 - Arab States [2020]
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑