World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 - Arab States [2020]

Page  Page 4 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »

Author Jurre
Partaker
#46 | Posted: 7 Apr 2020 08:11 
Assif:
Toubkal and Haut-Atlas (Morocco)

I second these.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#47 | Posted: 7 Apr 2020 10:37 
warwass:
Cisterns of Tawila in Aden

Jurre:
Dendera Temple complex, comprising the Temple of Hator

Jurre:
Necropolises of Middle Egypt, from the Middle Empire to the Roman period

I would support all three. The cisterns have been put to use for centuries if not millennia. I don't know if its just me, but I lean toward inscription for most of the Ancient Egyptian tentative sites.

Dendera Temple Complex "It is one of the best-preserved temple complexes in Egypt"

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#48 | Posted: 7 Apr 2020 14:44 | Edited by: winterkjm 
I am particularly interested in hearing some of the proposals by Solivagant, Els, and Meltwaterfalls.

A shortlist of [Arab State] tentative sites visited by Solivagant:

Abraj Al-Kuwait (T)
Abydos, city of pilgrimage of the Pharaohs (T)
Casablanca, Ville du XXème siécle, carrefour d'influences (T)
Ebla (Tell Mardikh) (T)
Jerash Archaeological City (Ancient Meeting Place of East and West) (T)
Necropolises of Middle Egypt, from the Middle Empire to the Roman period (T)
Oasis de Gabes (T)
Oasis of Fayoum, hydraulic remains and ancient cultural landscapes (T)
Old Dongola (T)
Pharaonic temples in Upper Egypt from the Ptolemaic and Roman periods (T)
Sites, lieux et itineraires augustiniens du Maghreb central (T)

This is based on just a quick run through, I probably missed several sites, but alot of these tentative sites have been discussed and proposed recently.

Author Assif
Partaker
#49 | Posted: 7 Apr 2020 15:26 
Jurre:
White Desert National Park

This looks spectacular. I support it.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#50 | Posted: 7 Apr 2020 16:09 
More Egypt...

Full name of site: Rock art of the Cave of Beasts and the Cave of Swimmers
TWHS?: no
Short description of site: (Wikipedia) The Cave of the Beasts is a huge natural rock shelter in the Western Desert of Egypt featuring Neolithic rock paintings, more than 7,000 years old, with about 5,000 figures painted with red, yellow, white and black pigments. Hundreds of hand and foot stencil are over-painted with groups of human creatures and therianthropic and acephalic mythological creatures. Whereas the symbolism of the hand stencils can be found in many cave paintings all over the world, the beasts are unique. The shelter is upwardly topped off by rock engravings. Along with the beasts the figures of the shelter represent a mythological world whose symbolism has not been deciphered yet.
The Cave of Swimmers contains Neolithic pictographs (rock painting images) and is named due to the depictions of people with their limbs bent as if they were swimming. The drawings include those of giraffe and hippopotamus. They are estimated to have been created as early as 10,000 years ago with the beginning of the African Humid Period, when the Sahara was significantly greener and wetter than it is today. Due to similar artwork being found in nearby caves, such as the Cave of Beasts, researchers believe that the cave art may display developing concepts that were later adapted to the configuration of the Nile valley.
Criteria: Cultural

Author clyde
Partaker
#51 | Posted: 7 Apr 2020 16:36 
This is perhaps the region I'm most fond of and which I believe has great potential for further inscriptions.

From the sites mentioned so far, I second Abraj Al Kuwait, Jerash, Kumbi Saleh, Mecca including the Mountain of Mercy (even though access for non-Muslims is an issue), Kom Ombo and Edfu, Dendera, Ras Mohammed NP, Ninevah, Nimrud, Haid Al-Jazil, Dar Al-Hajar as a Sanaa extension, Abydos, Old Dongola and perhaps Western Desert natural landscapes in general (apart from the White Desert, there's the Black Desert, Crystal Mountain, etc. with unique biodiversity too).

Here are some more proposals from the book Islam: Art and Architecture:

Tlemchen, Algeria
Ziyanids; Tlemcen has more buildings dating from the 12th to the 15th century than any other town in Algeria. With the exception of the Great Mosque built by the Almoravids in the 12th century, most of the city's medieval buildings strongly reflect the influence of Moorish (Muslim) Spain.
The monumental door of the ruined minaret of the mosque of Mansoura, at the site of the Marīnid occupation camp west of Tlemcen is worth mentioning too.

Herat, Afghanistan
The site is unique in that it has largely retained its historical footprint, and many significant Islamic monuments have survived.

Tarin in Hadramawt, Yemen
High rise buildings with powerful irrigation systems; significant role along the "incense road"

Palace preceinct of Mshatta, Jordan
most lavishly constructed of the Umayyad palaces (although portal facade and ornamental lion lie in Berlin)

Khirbit al-Mafjar, Palestine
Umayyid period decorated palace; rose window with a complete guilloche pattern is an excellent example of early Islamic art; dome ornamentation and lavish statues can be found in the Rockefeller Archaeological museum; mosaic floors

Palace of Ukhaidir, Iraq
this desert palace is the best preserved of early Abbassid palaces

Abbassid mosques in Damghan, Siraf and Nayin, Iran
earliest surviving minarets in Iran; important trading points of Abbassid empire

Medina and Great Mosque of Sfax, Tunisia
experienced revival during the Aghlabid period; perhaps and ideal extension of Kairouan to better represent Aghlabid period

Ibn Tumart Mosque at Tinmal and the High Atlas Mountains, Morocco
fortress of the founder of the Almohads (1080-1130) + natural environs perhaps as a mixed site; or else a worthy extension of Marrakesh

Marabout pilgrimage sites, Morocco
Sidi Shashkal (the Pilgrimage of the Poor), City Walls Square and Sidi Boudhab in Safi

Ghazna and ruins of al-Askar at Lashkar-i Bazar, Afghanistan
Ghaznavids citadel, towers and winter palace; 10th century monuments and decoratrive cenotaphs in modern Ghazni

Author Assif
Partaker
#52 | Posted: 7 Apr 2020 16:37 | Edited by: Assif 
What about further sites from Somalia?

Here is a list of potential sites, all of which are cultural:
https://somalienterprise.com/2019/07/18/somalias-top-future-unesco-world-heritage-sites/

I would say Merca/Barawa (also Brava, Barawe) as historic, coral-stone harbour towns look interesting, but there is barely any available information online. Any opinions?

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#53 | Posted: 7 Apr 2020 17:06 | Edited by: winterkjm 
clyde:
Herat, Afghanistan
The site is unique in that it has largely retained its historical footprint, and many significant Islamic monuments have survived.

clyde:
Abbassid mosques in Damghan, Siraf and Nayin, Iran
earliest surviving minarets in Iran; important trading points of Abbassid empire

clyde:
Ghazna and ruins of al-Askar at Lashkar-i Bazar, Afghanistan
Ghaznavids citadel, towers and winter palace; 10th century monuments and decoratrive cenotaphs in modern Ghazni

These sites would be categorized in the Asia and the Pacific geographic region.

Author Assif
Partaker
#54 | Posted: 7 Apr 2020 19:15 | Edited by: Assif 
Some great proposals for sites I was mostly unfamiliar with. I would like to support:

clyde:
Palace of Ukhaidir, Iraq

clyde:
Khirbit al-Mafjar (Hisham's Palace), Palestine

clyde:
Tarin in Hadramawt, Yemen

Jurre:
Rock art of the Cave of Beasts and the Cave of Swimmers

Author elsslots
Admin
#55 | Posted: 7 Apr 2020 23:00 
clyde:
Tlemchen, Algeria
Ziyanids; Tlemcen has more buildings dating from the 12th to the 15th century than any other town in Algeria. With the exception of the Great Mosque built by the Almoravids in the 12th century, most of the city's medieval buildings strongly reflect the influence of Moorish (Muslim) Spain.
The monumental door of the ruined minaret of the mosque of Mansoura, at the site of the Marīnid occupation camp west of Tlemcen is worth mentioning too.

We have this already approved under no. 43. Thanks for providing a OUV statement though!

Author elsslots
Admin
#56 | Posted: 7 Apr 2020 23:19 | Edited by: elsslots 
winterkjm:
I am particularly interested in hearing some of the proposals by Solivagant, Els, and Meltwaterfalls.

To add a few:

Full name of site: Ancient Nilometers
TWHS?: Yes, one of them (Raoudha nilometer), but proposed as a serial site to show the different types.
Short description of site: A nilometer was a structure for measuring the Nile River's clarity and water level during the annual flood season. Types included (1) a vertical column, (2) a corridor stairway of steps leading down to the Nile, or (3) a deep well with culvert.

Full name of site: Sheikh Zayed Mosque
Short description of site: 21st century construction, designed by Syrian architect Yousef Abdelky in a Persian/Mughal-ish style. Made out of marble and includes the world's largest Persian carpet.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#57 | Posted: 8 Apr 2020 04:17 
elsslots:
Full name of site: Ancient Nilometers

I support this!

Author warwass
Partaker
#58 | Posted: 8 Apr 2020 05:07 | Edited by: warwass 
Full Name of the site: Al Jassasiyeh rock carvings and the archaeological site
TWHS: No
Short description: is an area with early petroglyphs, residential ruins and pottery remnants (from the 15th century) in northeast Qatar. The carvings, in fossil sand dunes ("jebels"), include geometric shapes, animals and ship shapes. It is Qatar's most extensive rock art site with more than 900 carvings scattered over 580 numbered sites.[1] They are similar to those found at the temple of Karnak in Luxor, Egypt. The area also has ruined dwellings and remains of pottery from the 15th century. (wikipedia)

Author warwass
Partaker
#59 | Posted: 8 Apr 2020 05:18 
Full Name of the site: Ubari Desert
TWHS: No
Short description: Ubari is in the Targa valley, lying between the Messak Sattafat plateau and Idhan Ubari erg sand dunes and lakes. Native plants include wetland grasses at the natural spring fed lakes' shorelines, and the native Saharan Date palm (Phoenix dactylifera). Ubari is located in one of the sunniest and driest areas in the world. It has a hot desert climate with short, very warm winters but long, extremely hot summers. Average annual rainfall is one of the lowest found on the planet with only 8 mm (0.31 in) and many decades may easily pass without seeing any rainfall at all. Ubari has permanent, unlimited sunshine and clear skies all year-round and in all seasons. Clouds are extremely rare over this bone-dry land. Average high temperatures exceed 40 °C (104 °F) from June to September. The Ubari oasis settlement is the second center for the Kel Ajjer Tuareg people. (Wikipedia)
Criteria: Mixed

Author Jurre
Partaker
#60 | Posted: 8 Apr 2020 05:20 
Full name of site: Bu Tinah
Short description of site: (Wikipedia) Bu Tinah is a tiny archipelago amid extensive coral formations and seagrass beds. It is a biosphere reserve and is the region's first and largest UNESCO-designated marine biosphere reserve. Bu Tinah is actually a cluster of islands and shoals, joined or almost so at low water, with nowhere greater than two or three metres above sea level. The main island has a sheltered lagoon opening to the south with the low energy environment permitting stands of mature mangrove to flourish. Even birds like the Socotra cormorant are found here. There are also healthy coral reef habitats with as many as 16 species of coral recorded in the area. The reefs survive in conditions that would kill coral species in other parts of the world. This distinctive natural habitat with its shallow waters, seagrass beds and tall mangroves, set amid extensive coral reefs, hosts rare and globally endangered marine life. Seabirds such as the flamingo and the osprey, diverse species of dolphins, and the rare hawksbill turtle are found in Bu Tinah. The island's waters are also home to the planet's second-largest population of dugong, a large marine mammal that is globally threatened.
Criteria: Natural

Page  Page 4 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 - Arab States [2020]
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑