World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 - Arab States [2020]

Page  Page 2 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 6 Apr 2020 05:42 | Edited by: jonathanfr 
I suggest the perched village of Haid al-Jazil in Yemen, very picturesque.

Other places come to mind:

Reggane, Algeria:the use of a colony by a foreign power to test an atomic bomb. 26°18'40.9"N 0°03'25.7"W
Gaberoun Oasis, Libya.
Tangier, Morocco: for the international role it has played, with in particular the American legation and homeland of Ibn Battûta.
Medina, Saudi Arabia: we often talk about Mecca while forgetting the second holy place.
Dar al-Hajar, Yemen: alone or as an extension of Sana'a.
Mocha, Yemen: its history around coffee.

Author Assif
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 6 Apr 2020 05:52 | Edited by: Assif 
I would like to support the following sites:
Khuft:
Some Yemenite sites might also make sense. The most glaringly missing in my opinion is Marib, capital of the kingdom of Saba.

elsslots:
Full name of site: Lalish

Colvin:
Full Name of Site: Nimrud

jonathanfr:
Haid al-Jazil

jonathanfr:
Dar al-Hajar, Yemen: alone or as an extension of Sana'a.

jonathanfr:
Mocha: its history around coffee.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#18 | Posted: 6 Apr 2020 05:54 
nfmungard:
Grand Erg Oriental

I would prefer that it be considered a natural site with the other large neighboring erg, the Grand Erg Occidental.

nfmungard:
French Oran

I support Oran but rather on the Andalusian aspect of the city.

I support these proposals:
Jurre:
The Richat Structure - The Eye of the Desert

Khuft:
Lalish

Author Jurre
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 6 Apr 2020 07:01 

Author Jurre
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 6 Apr 2020 07:05 
Colvin:
Full Name of Site: The Ancient City of Ninevah

I second this one. It's an iconic name in the history of our world.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#21 | Posted: 6 Apr 2020 07:15 | Edited by: Jurre 
I've consulted the Global 200 again, and the only Global Priority Place in this region is the Mediterranean. Surprisingly, there are not that many natural sites on the WH List in the Mediterreanean. The Arab States only have one: Ichkeul National Park in Tunisia.

So I would like to propose a second natural site for the Mediterranean:

Full name of site: Al Hoceima National Park
TWHS?: no
Short description of site: - It is within one of the Global Priority Places identified by the WWF.
- (Wikipedia) Al Hoceima National Park is home to some of the most unspoilt coastal sites on the north coast of Morocco, as well as high cliffs and a mountainous interior. Among the many species of seabirds, there is a large colony of ospreys. The waters of the Mediterranean are home to three species of dolphin: the common dolphin, the common bottlenose dolphin and the striped dolphin. The sea caves sometimes provide shelter for the endangered Mediterranean monk seals. The loggerhead sea turtle, the leatherback sea turtle and the green sea turtle feed in the area, and over a hundred species of fish have been recorded here, as well as the rare giant ribbed Mediterranean limpet.
Criteria: Natural

And this second natural site proposal for Morocco:

Full name of site: Souss-Massa National Park
TWHS?: no
Short description of site: (Wikipedia) Souss-Massa National Park is a national park on the Atlantic coast of Morocco. The habitat is grazed steppe with dunes, beaches and wetlands. The park's main conservation importance is that it holds three of the four Moroccan colonies of the northern bald ibis, one of the world's 100 most threatened species. Together with the fourth site at nearby Tamri, it holds 95% of the world's truly wild breeding birds of this endangered species. The Oued Massa holds water throughout the year and has breeding marbled ducks, a globally threatened species.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#22 | Posted: 6 Apr 2020 07:51 
Egypt is a treasure trove, of course:

Full name of site: Abydos, city of pilgrimage of the Pharaohs
TWHS?: yes (link in title)
Short description of site: (From Unesco) The importance of Abydos rose with the establishment of the cult of Osiris, god and sovereign of the earth. According to mythology, the city harboured his main tomb which contained his head after his brother Seth had dismembered his body. The funerary beliefs also explain the existence of huge necropolises from various periods located between the city area and the temples which today are the most important ones, that of Sethi I and his son Ramses II. There is practically nothing left of the temple of Ramses I whereas that of Sethi I is one of the best preserved masterpieces of ancient Egypt. The temple has architectural value and the reliefs within the temple have an exceptionally rich and varied esthetic and documentary value which, among others, yield rare and precise information on the list of kings who governed Egypt from the first Thinite Kings (I and II dynasty) up to Sethi I himself.
Criteria: Cultural

Author Khuft
Partaker
#23 | Posted: 6 Apr 2020 09:05 
Two more for Iraq:

Full name of site: Remains of Abbasid Baghdad
TWHS?: yes (http://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/5880/)
Short description of site: While we associate Iraq mostly with its ancient Mesopotamian heritage, it was also the seat of the Abbasid caliphate (one of the largest empires that ever existed), and its capital Baghdad was a leading (if not the leading) city globally in terms of cultural refinement and scientific advancement.

Full name of site: The holy cities of Najaf and Karbala
TWHS?: partially (Wadi Al-Salam cemetery in Najaf)
Short description of site: Two of the holiest cities of Shi'ite Islam, with the mausolea of Ali (in Najaf) and Hussein (in Kerbela), in addition to a multitude of other shrines and the Wadi Al-Salam cemetery.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#24 | Posted: 6 Apr 2020 10:55 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Jurre:
Full name of site: Al Hoceima National Park

Wikipedia

- Reading up on this National Park, I cannot see its global importance. However, I would support Souss-Massa National Park (Wikipedia). This national park is far larger preserve protecting numerous endangered species and designated a Ramsar wetland.

"Souss-Massa also holds captive-breeding programmes for four threatened North African ungulates: scimitar oryx, addax, dama gazelle and dorcas gazelle, that are kept in separate enclosures within the park. The reintroduction of the North African ostrich - which is extinct north of the Sahara - is also underway." - wiki

"It was found that more than 270 bird species occur in the area, with several finding refuge at the site during winter, including the Marbled Teal, the Greater Flamingo, the Caspian Tern and the Little Tern." - Ramsar

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#25 | Posted: 6 Apr 2020 11:04 
Jurre:
Abydos, city of pilgrimage of the Pharaohs

I think we all pretty much agree that there should be a quite a few more Egyptian cultural world heritage sites.

I read this and I am left thinking why is this not inscribed? Not really too precise here, but the major sites included are more than 3,000 years old! I fully support this proposal.

"Considered one of the most important archaeological sites in Egypt, the sacred city of Abydos was the site of many ancient temples, including Umm el-Qa'ab, a royal necropolis where early pharaohs were entombed. These tombs began to be seen as extremely significant burials and in later times it became desirable to be buried in the area, leading to the growth of the town's importance as a cult site. Today, Abydos is notable for the memorial temple of Seti I, which contains an inscription from the nineteenth dynasty known to the modern world as the Abydos King List. It is a chronological list showing cartouches of most dynastic pharaohs of Egypt from Menes until Seti I's father, Ramesses I." - Wikipedia

Author Jurre
Partaker
#26 | Posted: 6 Apr 2020 11:11 | Edited by: Jurre 
winterkjm:
- Reading up on this National Park, I cannot see its global importance.

I understand, but to me it seemed to be one of the better options in an ecoregion (the Mediterranean) that the WWF considers to be a Global Priority Place. None of the other National Parks in the Arab States seemed to be of that great global importance either. Al Hoceima has the advantage of being both terrestrial and marine, and it harbours the endangered Mediterranean monk seal.

Al Hoceima therefore looked like the best candidate out of all in this ecoregion.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#27 | Posted: 6 Apr 2020 11:35 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Grand Erg Oriental (Algeria)

Great Desert Landscapes - The Qattara Depression & the Great Sand Sea (Egypt)

Desert landscapes remain under-represented on the world heritage list. However, one question we should consider is how many Saharan desert sites deserve inscription and are in the top missing? When researching both the Algerian and Egyptian nominations, should we select only one? Which is more important and based on which criteria? How do these proposals compare to the 8 inscribed deserts below?

Of the inscribed Deserts: Natural
Lut Desert (Iran) Criterion (vii), Criterion (viii)
Banc d'Arguin National Park (Mauritania) Criterion (ix), Criterion (x)
El Pinacate and Gran Desierto de Altar Biosphere Reserve (Mexico) Criterion (vii), Criterion (viii), Criterion (x)
Namib Sand Sea (Namibia) Criterion (vii), Criterion (viii), Criterion (ix), Criterion (x)
Air and Ténéré Natural Reserves (Niger) Criterion (vii), Criterion (ix), Criterion (x)

Of the inscribed Deserts: Mixed
Tassili n'Ajjer (Algeria) Criterion (vii), Criterion (viii)
Wadi Rum Protected Area (Saudi Arabia) Criterion (vii)
Tehuacán-Cuicatlán Valley: originary habitat of Mesoamerica (Mexico) Criterion (x)

Author Colvin
Partaker
#28 | Posted: 6 Apr 2020 12:54 | Edited by: Colvin 
winterkjm:
Desert landscapes remain under-represented on the world heritage list. However, one question we should consider is how many Saharan desert sites deserve inscription and are in the top missing?

Good question. I do think a Saharan desert site should be inscribed; I just am not certain which one. I'm particularly curious how they would compare with the already inscribed Air and Ténéré Natural Reserves, which straddles the Sahara and the Sahel.

Incidentally, another desert landscape in the Arab States to consider would be the following:

Full Name of Site: 'Uruq Bani Mu'arid Protected Area
TWHS? YES (linked in title)
Short description of site: 'Uruq Bani Ma'arid is situated along the western edge of Ar-Rub' al-Khali, the Empty Quarter, renowned as probably the largest continuous sand sea on Earth and the only major tropical sand desert of Asia. 'Uruq Bani Ma'arid is currently the focus of the most successful reintroduction program for Arabian Oryx in the world, and is probably the last place where Arabian Oryx were observed in the wild. Further, the area harbors large viable populations of the Arabian sand gazelle (al-Reem), and mountain gazelle (al-Idmi).

Outstanding universal value / comparative analysis: Air and Ténéré Natural Reserves; Arabian Oryx Sanctuary (delisted)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#29 | Posted: 6 Apr 2020 14:09 
Full name of site: Kerma
TWHS?: yes (link in title)
Short description of site: (From Unesco) Kerma was the capital of the "Kerma Culture" (3rd millenium - 2nd millenium B.C.). It contains the remains of an old town marked by a unique building (temple) of mud brick preserved to the height of 19m (Western Deffufa), in addition to a vast cemetery with a funerary chapel of mud brick (Eastern Deffufa).
(Wikipedia) The Kerma culture is one of the earliest civilizations of ancient Africa, as it lasted from around 2500 BCE until its conquest by the New Kingdom of Egypt under pharaoh Thutmose I around 1500 BCE. Kerma is one of the largest archaeological sites in ancient Nubia. It has produced decades of extensive excavations and research, including thousands of graves and tombs and the residential quarters of the main city surrounding the Western/Lower Deffufa. As a capital city and location of royal burials, it sheds light on the complex social structure present in this society.

Author Sjobe
Partaker
#30 | Posted: 6 Apr 2020 14:21 
nfmungard:
Algeria

Speaking of Algeria, it has some potential – maybe not world class sites but still some interesting ones.

nfmungard:
Historic Annaba

Algeria, especially the eastern part of the country, is one of the hotspots of Roman archaeological sites. There are several sites worth mentioning, just a few of them:

Tiddis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiddis
https://www.google.fi/search?q=tiddis&hl=fi&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiqrqi1rtToAhVil4sKHeQxC7MQ_AUoAXoECBQQAw&biw=1448&bih=919

Madauros / Madaure
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madauros
https://www.google.fi/search?q=madauros&hl=fi&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjjmvzKrtToAhVitIsKHVqoCqoQ_AUoAXoECBcQAw&biw=1448&bih=919

Theveste (nowadays the town of Tébessa)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theveste
https://www.google.fi/search?q=theveste&hl=fi&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi7jMvrrtToAhVlmMMKHftGDhgQ_AUoAXoECB0QAw&biw=1448&bih=919

Lambaesis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambaesis
https://www.google.fi/search?q=lambaesis&hl=fi&sxsrf=ALeKk00KU-GPl7Odgp7KgBF5nJUq5OxU3w:1586195808604&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjr79ztr9ToAhXitYsKHWPQCVEQ_AUoAXoECBIQAw&biw=1448&bih=919

Thubursicum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thubursicum
https://www.google.fi/search?q=thubursicum&hl=fi&sxsrf=ALeKk00q89eDH-JKt0nPGhd-6ROBavMhQg:1586195730000&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiSmp_Ir9ToAhVs-SoKHVBgBlEQ_AUoAnoECAsQBA&biw=1448&bih=919

Many of these sites (including Hippo Regius) have been collected to a TWHS Sites, lieux et itineraires augustiniens du Maghreb central. The other question is, do we need more of the Roman archaeological sites. If we do, there are some quality sites in Algeria.

nfmungard:
French Oran

I guess Oran is a nice colonial city, but my suggestion is

Landscape of the city of Constantine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine,_Algeria
https://www.google.fi/search?q=constantine+algeria&hl=fi&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjSu7_SsdToAhXws4sKHaRxD9kQ_AUoAXoECBoQAw&biw=1448&bih=919

It has the most breathtaking setting of any city of this size that I have seen.

Also Tlemcen with its mosques could have some potential. But it has been removed from the tentative list.

Page  Page 2 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 - Arab States [2020]
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑