World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 - Africa [2020]

Page  Page 3 of 18:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  15  16  17  18  Next »

Author Colvin
Partaker
#31 | Posted: 24 Mar 2020 18:33 | Edited by: Colvin 
mrayers:
Full name of site: Les forets sèches de l'Andrefana (The dry forests of the west)

I was thinking of Madagascar's unique biomes earlier today, and you highlighted an area that should definitely be covered. I was also thinking about the endangered Grandidier's baobab, which can be found in some parks that aren't covered under The Dry Forests of the West (or any other TWHS in Madagascar as far as I could tell), such as Andranomena Special Reserve, Kirindy Private Reserve, Kirindy Metea National Park, and the famed Avenue of the Baobabs. I'd recommend those either as an extension to The Dry Forests of the West or as a new site, such as:

Full Name of Site: Land of the Baobabs
TWHS?: No
Short description of site: Andronomena Special Reserve, Kirindy Private Reserve, Kirindy Metea National Park, and the Avenue of the Baobabs are all home to the Grandidier's baobab, the largest of Madagascar's six species of baobab. The Grandidier's baobab is endemic to Madagascar, and was placed on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species due to threats from agriculture, human settlement, and overharvesting. Additionally, the species is old and has a low rate of natural regeneration.
Criteria: Natural
Outstanding universal value / comparative analysis: Redwood National and State Parks; Socotra Archipelago

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#32 | Posted: 24 Mar 2020 18:40 
Another interesting place in Madagascar, a preserved and unrecognized ecosystem: Massif du Makay

Author Jurre
Partaker
#33 | Posted: 24 Mar 2020 18:50 
winterkjm:
Laas Geel

Looks like an absolutely wonderful site! I agree!

elsslots:
Gola National Parks

I agree.

mrayers:
Full name of site: Les forets sèches de l'Andrefana (The dry forests of the west)

Madagascar should have many more WHS. I agree with this one.

nfmungard:
ǀAi-ǀAis/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park (Namibia, South Africa)

Great site. Yes from me too.

nfmungard:
Welwitchas/Namib Desert

Great site as well

Author Colvin
Partaker
#34 | Posted: 24 Mar 2020 18:59 
winterkjm:
Full name of site: Benguela Current Marine Ecosystem Sites
Short description of site: The Benguela Marine ecosystem is one of the most productive coastal upwelling zones in the global oceans, of which an area offshore southern Namibia is known as the most concentrated and intense upwelling regime in the world. The high levels of primary productivity of this ecosystem support an important global reservoir of biodiversity and biomass of zooplankton, fish, sea birds and marine mammals.
Criteria: Mixed

I like the Benguela Current nomination. I had to look up why it was mixed, but apparently Namibians built "unique platforms of wood" at the beginning of the 20th century to encourage bird breeding, which would then leave large quantities of bird guano behind for harvesting. Honestly, I can think of some US natural sites that seem to have a better case for being "mixed" than this one (but that would be for a North American topic).

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#35 | Posted: 24 Mar 2020 19:02 
Mount Lico and Mount Mabu (Mozambique)

Mount Lico is an inselberg in northern Mozambique, most notable for its old-growth rainforest and its lack of penetration by humans.

Mount Mabu is a mountain in northern Mozambique, famous for its old-growth rain forest. While well known locally, the Mount Mabu forest and its extremely diverse wildlife were unknown to plant and animal scientists until 2005. It was noticed by scientists from Kew Royal Botanic Gardens by browsing Google Earth's satellite view to look for potential unknown wildlife hotspots in Africa. It is frequently referred to as the "Google Forest".

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#36 | Posted: 24 Mar 2020 19:08 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Top Missing - Africa [2020] 13

- Zakouma National Park (Chad)
- Dallol and Erte Lava Lake (Ethiopia)
- The Dry Forests of the West (Madagascar)
- Gorongosa National Park (Mozambique)
- Benguela Current Marine Ecosystem Sites (Namibia)
- Welwitschia Plains (Namibia, Angola)
- Obô de São Tomé Natural Park (Sao Tome and Principe)
- Gola National Parks (Sierra Leone)
- Laas Geel (Somalia)
- ǀAi-ǀAis/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park (South Africa, Namibia)
- Sudd Wetland (South Sudan)
- Kasanga National Park (Zambia)
- South Luangwa National Park (Zambia)

So far . . .

Author Colvin
Partaker
#37 | Posted: 24 Mar 2020 19:15 
How long are we going to keep the discussion open? I'm thinking it may be worthwhile to consider this over at least a few days in case more sites come to mind.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#38 | Posted: 24 Mar 2020 19:19 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Absolutely, I am just trying to tally sites as we go. These were all supported by additional users. Perhaps 2 weeks per region would be appropriate for proposals and discussion?

Author Colvin
Partaker
#39 | Posted: 24 Mar 2020 19:20 
That seems fair.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#40 | Posted: 24 Mar 2020 19:21 | Edited by: Jurre 
Colvin:
How long are we going to keep the discussion open? I'm thinking it may be worthwhile to consider this over at least a few days in case more sites come to mind.

The thread was only created today, so I would keep it open for a couple of days at least.

EDIT: 2 weeks per region seems fair. And to be honest, Africa deserves to be discussed in depth.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#41 | Posted: 24 Mar 2020 19:34 | Edited by: Jurre 
With such great nature in Africa, it seems harder to think of cultural sites. I'm willing to give it a try with this proposal. The downfall might be the lack of any visual evidence in situ, but that hasn't been held against the Prehistoric Caves in Europe.

Full name of site: Sites of early bipedalism (Laetoli and Ileret)
TWHS?: No
Short description of site: (From Wikipedia) Laetoli is a site in Tanzania, dated to the Plio-Pleistocene and famous for its hominin footprints, preserved in volcanic ash. (...) "The Laetoli Footprints" provided convincing evidence for the theory of bipedalism in Pliocene hominins (...). Dated to 3.7 million years ago, they were the oldest known evidence of hominin bipedalism at that time. Subsequently, older Ardipithecus ramidus fossils were found with features that suggest bipedalism. Analysis of the footprints and skeletal structure showed clear evidence that bipedalism preceded enlarged brains in hominins.
Numerous hominin fossils have been found near Ileret (Kenya), including Homo erectus footprints dating back to about 1.5 million years ago, making them the second oldest hominin footprints ever found after those at Laetoli, Tanzania. These footprints reveal that these early hominins most likely traveled in groups—evidence which researchers see as a sign of social behavior. Homo erectus fossils were discovered in 1.5 million-year-old layers of sediment. These fossils supplied information about soft-tissue and foot structure. Unlike the fossils, the footprints provide researchers with information about early foot anatomy.
Criteria: Cultural

Author Jurre
Partaker
#42 | Posted: 24 Mar 2020 19:50 
Colvin:
Full Name of Site: Land of the Baobabs

I second this.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#43 | Posted: 24 Mar 2020 19:55 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Full name of site: Great Temple of the Moon in Yeha
Short description of site: The oldest standing structure in Ethiopia, the Temple of Yeha. This is a tower built in the Sabaean style, and dated through comparison with ancient structures in South Arabia to around 700 BC. Yeha served as the capital of the pre-Aksumite kingdom of D'mt.
Criteria: Cultural
Outstanding universal value / comparative analysis: Rock-Hewn Churches, Lalibela

I have been reading carefully from the African Continent World Heritage forum thread, a discussion held here a couple years ago, some really great proposals for cultural sites!

Author Colvin
Partaker
#44 | Posted: 24 Mar 2020 20:25 
winterkjm:
I have been reading carefully from African Continent World Heritage held here a couple years ago, some really great proposals for cultural sites!

Great link, thanks! And I second The Great Temple of the Moon in Yeha.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#45 | Posted: 25 Mar 2020 03:57 
Can we maybe use a google doc to keep track of the proposals? It feels like a bit arbitrary.

In general, I feel Africa (Top Missing Continent!) is a pretty worthwhile continent to look at, so 2w seems rather shot.

Page  Page 3 of 18:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  15  16  17  18  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 - Africa [2020]

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑