World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 - Africa [2020]

Page  Page 17 of 18:  « Previous  1  ...  15  16  17  18  Next »

Author Jurre
Partaker
#241 | Posted: 1 Apr 2020 08:34 
I would like to propose another Natural site, based on the fact that coastal East Africa is underrepresented.

Full name of site: The Tana Delta and Forests Complex
TWHS?: Yes - http://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/5514
Short description of site: - The Tana Delta and Forest Complex are part of Coastal East Africa, an underrepresented ecoregion on the WH List, and one of the global priority places, according to WWF.
- (Wikipedia) The lush river forest patches are remainders of western African forests. The river cuts through dry woodland and open savannah. Recorded bird species there number 262, and at least 57 species of mammals live there. There are several endemic tree species as well as a variety of other animals and plants. Many of the bird and animal species in the reserve are unusual in East Africa, being typical of Central Africa's lowland rainforest.
- The Tana delta and forests are a habitat of the Tana River red colobus, considered to be one of The World's 25 Most Endangered Primates.
Criteria: Natural

Author elsslots
Admin
#242 | Posted: 1 Apr 2020 11:53 
Jurre:
The Tana Delta and Forests Complex

Seems like a good find to me, I support it!

Although if ever inscribed it could be in danger immediately:
"As there is no recognized management for the Tana delta disputes over the rights to water and land are at the heart of the complex conservation problems facing the Tana River Delta. " (unesco website)
Also: https://wwf.panda.org/?206813/Tana-River-Delta-Ramsar-Site-Status-a-Plus-for-Coastal-East-Afric

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#243 | Posted: 2 Apr 2020 04:01 | Edited by: winterkjm 
My final proposal to support for the Africa round.

Bo Kaap (South Africa) - preservation concerns were brought up previously based on a 2016 report. However, there has been some action to preserve this unique neighborhood. "Bo-kaap contains the largest concentration of pre-1850 architecture in the country and is the oldest surviving residential neighbourhood in Cape Town". Plenty of worthwhile information on the wikipedia page.

https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/news/recognition-for-bo-kaap-as-19-sites-to-be-declared-national-heritage-sites-22349955

Author Khuft
Partaker
#244 | Posted: 2 Apr 2020 05:44 
winterkjm:
Bo Kaap (South Africa)

I'd support this one!

Author elsslots
Admin
#245 | Posted: 2 Apr 2020 06:38 | Edited by: elsslots 
We could do a few more cross checks, to see if we have reached the bottom of the barrel of African proposals.

For example: which African TWHS do have a 100% thumbs up score (with 3 or more votes)?

In Kenya this is: the Masai Mara
In Tanzania: none
In Botswana: Chobe
In Namibia: Etosha Pan

Checked all countries

Author elsslots
Admin
#246 | Posted: 2 Apr 2020 07:07 | Edited by: elsslots 
elsslots:

I'd be happy to propose all these three. We've noticed earlier that there would be room for a few more iconic national parks - these fit the bill excellently, although their specific ecosystem may already be represented.

Masai Mara: For its pastoralist Maasai community and the annual wildebeest and plains zebra migration
Chobe: Has one of the largest game concentrations on the African continent and its spectacular elephant population of over 50 000 today which is actually the highest elephant concentration in Africa.
Etosha Pan: The Etosha Pan is an outstanding example of a superlatively sized salt pan that developed as a result of tectonic uplift that diverted river flow from maintaining a wetland in an endorrheic basin.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#247 | Posted: 2 Apr 2020 07:51 | Edited by: jonathanfr 
elsslots:

I support these 3 parks.

Author elsslots
Admin
#248 | Posted: 2 Apr 2020 07:57 | Edited by: elsslots 
On an interesting side note - with this, we have now Approved 6 out of 8 entries of the T List of Namibia (and found 2 additional ones ourselves).

In my opinion, really deserving. I think Namibia is landscape wise the most interesting country that I have ever been to; certainly in Africa but also on a global scale.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#249 | Posted: 2 Apr 2020 08:07 
elsslots:
which African TWHS do have a 100% thumbs up score (with 3 or more votes)?

I'll have to check back through the list later this morning if three votes is a requirement, since I generally left sites that had already been seconded alone.

Author elsslots
Admin
#250 | Posted: 2 Apr 2020 08:20 | Edited by: elsslots 
Colvin:
I'll have to check back through the list later this morning if three votes is a requirement, since I generally left sites that had already been seconded alone.

No, that was not the point. This is about the TWHS voting system we already have on the website (via the thumbs up, thumbs down). And I only looked for additional sites, not for ones we have already Approved in our spreadsheet. They stay Approved.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#251 | Posted: 2 Apr 2020 08:47 
Oh, I see. That definitely makes sense as a cross-check. Sorry for the confusion.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#252 | Posted: 2 Apr 2020 10:04 
Hi all, I've found it tough to keep up with this (not a criticism, just a comment on my lack of free time).

Is the current list of proposals collated anywhere in one place, it could well be there, i just haven't discovered it.

Author elsslots
Admin
#253 | Posted: 2 Apr 2020 10:09 | Edited by: elsslots 
meltwaterfalls:
Is the current list of proposals collated anywhere in one place, it could well be there, i just haven't discovered it.

Sure: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vR28L3trSCy409wGPVbEH3rn3Uv3YcrlEhy3SkmXrK_oQT1j08022XVhIDHfsLzs8PQqosyOZLnhIIi/pubhtml

Or for the spreadsheetlovers: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VU3FQXYDWSL38BTu77qqGiMuNKdDVLsiZVjS730InB0/edit#gid=0

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#254 | Posted: 2 Apr 2020 11:40 
super, thank you

Author Colvin
Partaker
#255 | Posted: 3 Apr 2020 22:58 | Edited by: Colvin 
I've been thinking this week about whether there are any South African cultural sites I should support or propose for consideration before we close nominations for Africa. There are two cultural sites that came to mind: Human Rights, Liberation Struggle and Reconciliation: Nelson Mandela Legacy Sites, which is currently on the Tentative List for South Africa, and Kimberley Mines and Associated Early Industries, which was removed from South Africa's Tentative List in 2015.

I personally find the focus of the Human Rights, Liberation Struggle and Reconciliation: Nelson Mandela Legacy Sites TWHS to be inaptly placed on Nelson Mandela. The World Heritage Site list already includes Robben Island, which is an implicit recognition of the role Mandela played in the fall of apartheid. I'd recommend ditching the reference to Mandela and just call it Human Rights, Liberation Struggle and Reconciliation Sites, since the nomination seems to be a reworked version of the Liberation Heritage Route, which focused on sites related to a number of leaders who sought freedom from colonialism. In particular, I appreciate the inclusion of Walter Sisulu Square in Kliptown, where the Freedom Charter, which sought equal rights for all races, was adopted. I like the idea of this TWHS, but I think it would be best served as an extension to Robben Island, and since we are only proposing new sites, and not extensions, I'm not going to propose this site.

Kimberley Mines and Associated Early Industries has already been proposed. The World Heritage Site list does have a diamond town already inscribed, with the Historic Centre of the Town of Diamantina in Brazil, and diamonds can be found in World Heritage Sites like the Tower of London, the Kremlin and Red Square, Moscow , and other sites associated with the Crown Jewels connection. Still, as far as I can tell, there are no diamond mines on the list, and given the importance humans have placed on diamonds throughout history, I think a mine warrants consideration for the list. I'll give a second to Kimberley's Big Hole.

Page  Page 17 of 18:  « Previous  1  ...  15  16  17  18  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 - Africa [2020]
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑