World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 - Africa [2020]

Page  Page 16 of 18:  « Previous  1  ...  15  16  17  18  Next »

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#226 | Posted: 30 Mar 2020 20:13 
nfmungard:
we could start narrowing it down, i.e. pruning the list for a final set

I like this idea.

Though, as I posted a couple days ago. I wonder if it might be useful to dig through the UNESCO Biosphere Reserves in Africa to make a last run though of potential candidates. Several sites from this list are already inscribed or on tentative lists.

Author elsslots
Admin
#227 | Posted: 30 Mar 2020 23:38 
nfmungard:
we could start narrowing it down

We have 58 approved sites now, is there a need to narrow it down? I don't really see it.

And we have to give the latest proposals a fair run for a few days I think.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#228 | Posted: 31 Mar 2020 04:44 
We have not mentioned modern architecture in Africa, except Asmara already listed. What do you think, for example, of Basilica of Our Lady of Peace, Yamoussoukro? Or Abuja, Nigeria, which like Brasilia has become a more central capital of a country?

Author wojtek
Partaker
#229 | Posted: 31 Mar 2020 05:03 
Khuft:
Solivagant:
Roca Agostinho Neto Cocoa Plantation Sao Tome.

Excellent - that's one of those I was going to propose too! I definitely support this one!

I see this nomination attracts a lot of attention but I have to add a grain of salt. This place is in a terrible state (at least it was in 2017) and would require a lot of work to get inscribed. Literally all buildings are ruined with no roofs and floors (except small ones that are inhabited). There is no single sign about what this site used to be. Fortunatelly the buildings are still there so the site has potential but I was really sad after the visit.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#230 | Posted: 31 Mar 2020 05:50 
Jurre:
EDIT: a shared link, because my previous one necessitated a Google account
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u9-YCab3bp_rFyiusPCYrrnPOPT989qV-Zxzv7wlDqY/edit?usp=sharing

Link again, but now so everyone can access and alter (and optimize) the document, if they so wish too. I hadn't seen it was read only.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u9-YCab3bp_rFyiusPCYrrnPOPT989qV-Zxzv7wlDqY/edit?usp=sharing

Author Assif
Partaker
#231 | Posted: 31 Mar 2020 07:21 
Jurre:
Link again, but now so everyone can access and alter (and optimize) the document, if they so wish too.

@Jurre: Do you want to assign an ecoregion to each of the sites and not only the priority places which are much larger? There are smaller and larger scale ecoregion from which you list the former. I think that the latter is better suited for our enterprise.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#232 | Posted: 31 Mar 2020 08:57 | Edited by: Jurre 
Assif:
@Jurre: Do you want to assign an ecoregion to each of the sites and not only the priority places which are much larger? There are smaller and larger scale ecoregion from which you list the former. I think that the latter is better suited for our enterprise.

I was going to do it to the smaller ecoregions, but I started with the Priority regions, and now it seems to me that the priority regions in the first place, and the bigger ecoregions in the second place, are indeed better suited for our enterprise.

The smaller may be interesting for us, but are likely to be less suited for the exercise of the Top Missing 50. However, they may be handy (1) as background reading material and for understanding and (2) because the priority regions do not cover all these smaller ecoregions.

It's also handy as a tool to realize that we're talking about really large regions here, and that a bigger ecoregion comprises smaller ecoregions that sometimes are still bigger than most European countries. So sometimes, it doesn't feel right to say that an ecoregion is already represented with 1 or 2 sites, considering the vast territory the ecoregion spans.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#233 | Posted: 31 Mar 2020 10:58 
elsslots:
We have 58 approved sites now, is there a need to narrow it down? I don't really see it.

Depends how much work we want to spend. I think eventually we need to prepare an exposé per site and 58 still seems like a massive amount to write exposés for.

Author elsslots
Admin
#234 | Posted: 31 Mar 2020 11:09 
nfmungard:
an exposé per site

What do you mean by "exposé"? We have a proposed OUV statement in our spreadsheet already.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#235 | Posted: 31 Mar 2020 14:55 
elsslots:
What do you mean by "exposé"? We have a proposed OUV statement in our spreadsheet already.

Think this is a process question. To me, what we currently have is a pitch, not really a tangible review/exposè. I think it would be nice to produce sth like a review with photos for all the candidates with links etc. But that is just me. Question to everyone.

Author Assif
Partaker
#236 | Posted: 31 Mar 2020 16:08 
nfmungard:
I think it would be nice to produce sth like a review with photos for all the candidates with links etc.

We already have links, but I agree it would be nice to have a paragraph for each proposed candidate, but writing such paragraphs is certainly feasible for 58 sites. I would be happy to do it for the ones I proposed and for some of them we already have such paragraphs. I would also need a short comparison with similar sites.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#237 | Posted: 31 Mar 2020 18:26 
Looking through the nominations in the spreadsheet, I'd like to second two sites that have only one vote so far: Lake Chad Cultural Landscape and Qoahito.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#238 | Posted: 31 Mar 2020 18:38 
Also, I might recommend that the Wikipedia link for the Karoo nomination be changed to the Succulent Karoo page, since that is the ecoregion within the larger Karoo that is up for nomination.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#239 | Posted: 31 Mar 2020 20:46 
Dragon's Breath Cave (Namibia): The cave contains the world's largest non-subglacial underground lake

Author elsslots
Admin
#240 | Posted: 1 Apr 2020 01:23 
Assif:
nfmungard:
I think it would be nice to produce sth like a review with photos for all the candidates with links etc.

We already have links, but I agree it would be nice to have a paragraph for each proposed candidate, but writing such paragraphs is certainly feasible for 58 sites. I would be happy to do it for the ones I proposed and for some of them we already have such paragraphs. I would also need a short comparison with similar sites.

I'll take this to the other topic to discuss, before you start doing all the work

Page  Page 16 of 18:  « Previous  1  ...  15  16  17  18  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 - Africa [2020]
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑