World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 - Africa [2020]

Page  Page 15 of 18:  « Previous  1  ...  14  15  16  17  18  Next »

Author Jurre
Partaker
#211 | Posted: 29 Mar 2020 09:50 | Edited by: Jurre 
Jurre:
EDIT: a shared link, because my previous one necessitated a Google account
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u9-YCab3bp_rFyiusPCYrrnPOPT989qV-Zxzv7wlDqY/edit?usp=sharing

Don't know if anyone can access this, and if I've not forgotten anything in my list.

But basing myself on the Global Priority Places of the WWF, it seems these African regions are not or underrepresented in the List:
- Coastal East Africa (1 site)
- Fynbos (1 site)
- Madagascar (2 sites)
- Miombo Woodlands (1 site)
- Namib-Karoo-Kaokoveld (1 site)
- West Africa Marine (2 sites)

The best represented are:
- African Rift Lakes Regio (11 sites)
- Congo Basin (7 sites)

In those last two, two count in both categories: the National Parks of Virunga and Kahuzi-Biega.

EDIT: I guess I should count iSimangaliso Wetland Park as Coastal East Africa, but it's still hundreds of miles away from other sites in Kenya, Tanzania, the Comoros, etc.

Author elsslots
Admin
#212 | Posted: 29 Mar 2020 09:58 
Thanks for the research! I can access it.

Jurre:
- Coastal East Africa (0 sites)

Mozambique's Quirimbas Archipelago which we already approved seems to be a good fit for this

Author elsslots
Admin
#213 | Posted: 29 Mar 2020 10:01 
Jurre:
- Miombo Woodlands (1 site)

South Luangwa (also already approved) could add another to this one

Author Jurre
Partaker
#214 | Posted: 29 Mar 2020 10:11 
Seeing Coastal East Africa is not represented on the List, and no site has been proposed for the Comoros yet, I'd like to make this poposition:

Full name of site: Ecosystèmes Marins de l'Archipel des Comores
TWHS?: Yes - http://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/5107
Short description of site: The park consists of three locations: 1. Parc marin de Mohéli - 2. Mangroves et lagon de Bimbini - 3. Parc marin des Coelacanthes.
According to Wikipedia, the "most notable feature of the park is the population of coelecanths, and the park is home to varieties of sharks and humpback whales." The coelecanth is often considered as a "living fossil" and is maybe the most emblematic example of those living fossils. A site that protects these would be a great addition to the WH List.
The site also comproses mangrove forests on the Bimbini peninsula, situated next to a lagoon with coral reefs, that are an important example of the biodiversity of the islands.
Criteria: Natural

Author Colvin
Partaker
#215 | Posted: 29 Mar 2020 10:20 | Edited by: Colvin 
nfmungard:
Missing countries:
* Senegal

Well, if you're looking for nominations from Senegal, the most recognizable site that I can think of that isn't inscribed would be this nomination from their Tentative List:

Full Name of Site: Le Lac Rose
TWHS? Yes
Short description of site: Le Lac Rose is a site of exceptional beauty, with waters that turn daily from mauve to scarlet pink due to high concentrations of algae. The high salinity of this lake has provided a source of income for the Senegalese, who since the 1970's have commercially exported salt from the lake to West Africa. The harvesting of salt relies upon human extraction, and areas of digging are changed twice a year to ensure the replenishment of salt within the lake.
Criteria: Mixed
Outstanding universal value / comparative analysis: Huanglong, Kilimanjaro National Park, Royal Saltworks of Arc-et-Senans

Author elsslots
Admin
#216 | Posted: 29 Mar 2020 10:21 
Colvin:
nfmungard:
Missing countries:
* Senegal

Senegal may already be overrepresented on the current WH list I think.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#217 | Posted: 29 Mar 2020 10:22 
Yup -- but if Nan was looking for nominations for every country, that's the first one that came to mind.

Author elsslots
Admin
#218 | Posted: 29 Mar 2020 10:24 
Sure, I understand

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#219 | Posted: 29 Mar 2020 10:36 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Jurre:
de Bimbini - 3. Parc marin des Coelacanthes.
According to Wikipedia, the "most notable feature of the park is the population of coelecanths, and the park is home to varieties of sharks and humpback whales." The coelecanth is often considered as a "living fossil" and is maybe the most emblematic example of those living fossils. A site that protects these would be a great addition to the WH List.

I had thought of this earlier as we have seen the (stuffed version unfortunately!!!) Coelocanth in the National museum in Moroni (Video isn't of us)i!!
Further investigation identified a fact of which I was previously unaware - that iSimangaliso, already includes Coelocanth habitat. That may not be a reason to prevent the Comoran marine park from being inscribed but it does somewhat reduce its case for "top 50" status unless we really want to include a site from every African State in our "consideration list". See -
http://safarikzn.com/isimangalisos-coelacanths/ and https://isimangaliso.com/newsflash/fascinating-facts-and-records-in-isimangaliso/
There is also another competing "Coelocanth Park" off Tanzania - Tanga Coelacanth Marine Park (TACMP) , See -
https://www.tanzaniatourism.go.tz/it/destination/tanga-coelacanth-marine-park

See this UNESCO report - "Assessing potential World Heritage marine sites in the Western Indian Ocean"
http://www.vliz.be/projects/marineworldheritage/sites/1.3_Comoros%20and%20Mayotte.php?item=The%20Indian%20Ocean
It certainly reads VERY sympathetically towards the Comorian area - "The Comorian islands are best known for the largest populations of coelacanth in the world, with largest concentrations on the SW coast of Ngazidja, with notable numbers at Bimbini, Anjouan. In total, a population size of 500 has been estimated for the Comoros, which lies at the northern end of the main known population of coelacanth along the shores of the Mozambique channel from KwaZulu-Natal in the south to southern Tanzania in the north, on the west side, and from Tulear in the south to northern Madagascar on the east side.
Dugong are reported from the Comoros, with the most important sites being on Moheli, and Mitsamiouli on Ngazidja. The islands also host the second largest nesting site for green turtle nesting in the WIO, at Itsamia (Moheli). In common with Mayotte, the Comoros are important for humpback whales from June to November, also with high ratios of mother-calf pairs."

Author Colvin
Partaker
#220 | Posted: 29 Mar 2020 11:34 | Edited by: Colvin 
Solivagant:
"Assessing potential World Heritage marine sites in the Western Indian Ocean"

I was thinking about Mayotte earlier last week because of its lagoon and underwater diversity, but had put it aside in favor of researching sites for countries not heavily represented on the list (no offense meant to France). I'm not sure how open the Comoros and France would be to a transnational nomination for the Glorieuses Crescent, given their past, but that would be a great site if they submitted it. As the UNESCO report attests, Mayotte has an unusually high species richness of many taxa for an island system: > 270 species of hard corals, 750 fishes and 455 crustaceans, while the Comoros has the western Indian Ocean's second largest green turtle nesting site. According to Wikipedia, this is the largest barrier-reef-lagoon complex within the southwestern Indian Ocean, and the species here are still poorly inventoried, allowing for new scientific discoveries each year.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#221 | Posted: 29 Mar 2020 11:41 
So yes, I'll second Jurre's Ecosystèmes Marins de l'Archipel des Comores nomination, but I would strongly recommend if it were ever submitted that they consider a transnational nomination with France to include Mayotte. (And who knows, maybe France would be open to an extra World Heritage Site through a transnational nomination sponsored by a country that would be new to the list).

Author Assif
Partaker
#222 | Posted: 29 Mar 2020 18:55 
There are plans to unite Quirimbas NP (Mozambique) with the adjacent Mnazi Bay (Tanzania).
https://tfcaportal.org/node/440

Author Khuft
Partaker
#223 | Posted: 30 Mar 2020 15:59 | Edited by: Khuft 
Solivagant:
Roca Agostinho Neto Cocoa Plantation Sao Tome.

Excellent - that's one of those I was going to propose too! I definitely support this one!

A somewhat less obvious one maybe:
Black Star Square in Accra, Ghana. We have few (if any?) post-colonial sites marked down. Yet the end of colonialism in Africa was one of the major events in the 20th century - and it would be great to see that reflected too (in particular since it would reflect African cultural sensitivities again, after centuries dominated by colonial architecture). Black Star Square, or Independence Square, was commissioned for the visit of Elizabeth I to recently independent Ghana - and was obviously meant to reflect the newly-found confidence of Ghanaians vis-a-vis their former colonial monarch. Ghana was the first African nation to achieve independence in the 20th century, and thus set the path for other nations too.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#224 | Posted: 30 Mar 2020 16:11 
I think the brainstorming part is slowly nearing its end. Discussions have turned way less lively.

I think we have found plenty of interesting sites and we could start narrowing it down, i.e. pruning the list for a final set. As of now, we always used a "second" vote to mark a site as approved. Should be go to maybe three? Simplest would be to simply add a column for Vote 1 to Vote N. As soon as Vote N (N>1) is provided it's approved.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#225 | Posted: 30 Mar 2020 19:16 | Edited by: Colvin 
nfmungard:
Discussions have turned way less lively.

It could be that the work week has started again, but I do understand that there have been fewer proposals. Winterkjm had suggested the idea of two weeks per region. Do you think that is fair, or should it be shorter?

Also, for the spreadsheet, would it be possible to add more information for the Land of the Baobabs entry? I was wondering if the OUV line could state "Andronomena Special Reserve, Kirindy Private Reserve, Kirindy Metea National Park, and the Avenue of the Baobabs are home to the endemic and threatened Grandidier's baobab", so as to make it clear that the recommended locations are not found in The Dry Forests of the West nomination for Madagascar.

Additionally, would it be possible to include a wikipedia link to Avenue of the Baobabs, which is the most recognizable section of this submission (though the national parks and the private reserve would be just as important).

Page  Page 15 of 18:  « Previous  1  ...  14  15  16  17  18  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 - Africa [2020]
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑