World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Top 50 missing - 2014 version

Page  Page 10 of 16:  « Previous  1  ...  9  10  11  ...  15  16  Next »

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#136 | Posted: 7 Feb 2014 05:08 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Well done for bringing this all together.
Out of interest I wanted to see how many of these are on existing T Lists and there are a fair number not so identified.
Given that some are identifed it is worth, I think, doing so for all of them. So, the following 22 need marking "TL"
Belgium - Westhoek
Bhutan -Dzongs
Bolivia - Lake Titicaca
Canada - Klondike
Chile - Monte Verde
Chile - Torres del Paine
Colombia - Ciudad Perdida
France etc - Le Corbusier
Greece - Knossos (Minoan Palaces)
Indonesia - Toraja
Iraq - Ur
Mexico - Cenotes
Micronesia - Nan Madol
Myanmar - Bagan
Myanmar - Wooden monasteries
Norway - Svalbard
Palestine - Mt Gerizm
Palestine - Jericho
PNG - Upper Sepik
PNG - Sublime Karsts
Trinidad - Pitch Lake
USA - FL Wright

As for Navajo Nation - Canyon de Chelly is ok , not as "iconic" as Monument Valley - and both have "first Nation" aspects. It does also have some cliff dwellings of course but some examples of these have already been inscribed. I wouldn't oppose adding it at this stage. I would be surprised (??) if it "scored high" but, as I said before, the list of nominees is of interest/note and, whilst the voting might surprise, I would suspect that, beyond a few clear "winners" there won't be a lot of significance between sites getting 0/1 or 2 votes!

Author Assif
Partaker
#137 | Posted: 7 Feb 2014 05:41 
I have the impression that too many of the IUCN gaps are not represented on our candidate lists.
I would be happy to suggest the following 4 sites and see whether any of them gets support:

1) Atacama Desert (Chile) - the driest desert on Earth. Of geological as well as biological interest. Deserts are greatly underrepresented. (not on T list)

2) Patagonian Rainforests (Chile, Argentina) - currently Los Alerces NP in Argentina is on the T-list. These rainforests are the only Antarctic floristic rainforests and feature a great share of endemism.

3) Maldives Atoll (Maldives) - the only natural site from this part of the world.

4) Cold Banguela Current (South Africa, Namibia, Angola) - a lot of endemism. Marine life is underrepresented. No marine natural site in Africa.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#138 | Posted: 7 Feb 2014 06:19 
Right I have set up the Survey.

I won't share the link yet until all is finalised but it is easy to amend/ add places.

It is currently set up for 10 votes per person, but there isn't anyway of limiting the number of button you press before you submit it (you will however get a validation saying you have voted for more than 10 and need to remove some before you can submit)
It isn't ideal that way but seems to be the best we can do on the free version.

In regards to Canyon De Chelly I think I feel the same as Solivagant. It is nice but I wouldn't expected it to get in the top 50. I think it is more interesting than some of the others on the list though so I'm happy to add it.

Assifs recommendations natural sites aren't really my strong point, the Atacama one seems reasonable to me but have no knowledge of the rest.

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#139 | Posted: 7 Feb 2014 11:49 | Edited by: kkanekahn 
I do not think Canyon de Chelly will break through top 50 list (like other members even though it seems good) .
I support Atacama desert as a mixed site. Though I do not feel San Pedro de Atacama will break into top 50 of its own but it is better to include atacama desert as a mixed site.

At first I thought to include only some NPs instead of of whole desert. But, when I search for some NPs I just found only 1 NP - national Pan de Azúcar National Park. I do not think it will make the case. So it is better to include whole desert.

Author Khuft
Partaker
#140 | Posted: 7 Feb 2014 11:49 
Natural sites are not my strong suit. Among Assif's suggestions, I would support Atacama.

The others I know too little about. Are Maldives very different from Seychelles? We have Vallée de Mai on the World Heritage List. Cold Benguela current is too broad for me; it's like Gulf Stream. Is there a precise site along that coastline that is particularly relevant for endemism?

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#141 | Posted: 7 Feb 2014 12:16 
winterkjm:
Colombia - Ciudad Perdida – C – ORIG (on TL)

Could we make it a mixed site and rename it as " Ciudad Perdida - Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta " like in the tentative list. I know it is nominated as acultural property but it is better to include Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta represent as a mixed property.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#142 | Posted: 7 Feb 2014 12:20 | Edited by: winterkjm 
I added Atacama Desert (Chile), it seemed to have several supporters.

Other sites

Canyon de Chelly - main reason I propmoted this site is because Navajo Nation has no representation on the world heritage list. Monument Valley could essentially be included in this nomination, both are within the boundaries of Navajo land. As far as Top 50 missing, it is a long shot, and does not seem to have support, no worries.

Patagonian Rainforests (Chile, Argentina) - looks fantastic, but I have no personal knowledge of the site, I would support this nomination generally.

Maldives Atolls - How much endemism do these atolls have compared to others? Are they generally considered pristine?

I changed the name, Ciudad Perdida - Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, but is there a major reason to believe the natural qualities of this site are of OUV? I kept it as a cultural nomination for the time being, unless additional users feel the mixed status is warranted.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#143 | Posted: 7 Feb 2014 12:27 | Edited by: Solivagant 
As I understand it Assif's proposals are related either directly or indirectly (or vv!) in total or in part to this IUCN gap analysis from 2004
http://whc.unesco.org/document/9779

If one accepts that "Inscription gaps" in the coverage of Natural "realms" as identified by IUCN (which have not subsequently had an example inscribed) should all be regarded as "Top 50 missing candidates" then I guess that all the currently missing "realms" should be included in our list for voting on.

However, only the Patagonian Rainforests, Benguela Current and Maldive/Chagos Atolls are identified by IUCN in this report - but not, as far as I can see, the Atacama. But, no doubt Assif can point to some other document which highlights the Atacama as being a significant gap?

One potential argument against this approach is that we have not attempted to include every "Cultural gap" in our candidate list of cultural and mixed sites. I think the gap analyses carried out by ICOMOS et al have informed us but we still haven't rigidly followed the logic of trying to cover all the gaps.

I would suggest a similar approach on the Natural sites -just because a Biological Realm isn't represented shouldn't automatically get it onto our voting list. Indeed the above report also says "It does not necessarily follow that all 238 of WWFs most oustanding eco-regions should or will have an area that would meet WH criteria or indeed meet the conditions of integrity." Though, whilst saying this, it DOES then go on to identify The Benguela and Maldive/Chagos regions among those "appearing to have potential"!

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#144 | Posted: 7 Feb 2014 12:53 
Atacama is mentioned as a gap in IUCN Desert analysis

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#145 | Posted: 7 Feb 2014 13:28 
kkanekahn:
IUCN Desert analysis

This document?
http://data.iucn.org/dbtw-wpd/edocs/2011-006.pdf

Author Khuft
Partaker
#146 | Posted: 7 Feb 2014 13:42 | Edited by: Khuft 
We're diverging again into the discussion about whether the gap analysis should be our basis or not.

Assif made 4 proposals for addition to our top 50 missing list, and it is his choice what he chooses as basis for his proposals.

Atacama has support for inclusion, the other not / not yet. That's how I view it. Let's not reopen Pandora's Box again....

Author Assif
Partaker
#147 | Posted: 7 Feb 2014 13:47 

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#148 | Posted: 7 Feb 2014 13:48 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Khuft:
We're diverging again into the discussion about whether the gap analysis

But it would still be nice to know the source for its "gap analysis inclusion" (and hence the arguments in favour of it) or else how do we "know " whether it justifies our vote or not - or are we all going to vote on "gut feel" and "prior knowledge"!

I am trying to find out more about the sites on our voting list and what their merits are.

Assif:
Atacama is included as "coastal deserts of Chile and Peru".

Which document?

Author Khuft
Partaker
#149 | Posted: 7 Feb 2014 14:15 
Solivagant - a fair point!

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#150 | Posted: 7 Feb 2014 14:39 | Edited by: winterkjm 
END OF PROPOSALS

Ok, I think we reached the end of ADDING nominations. The list on the previous page is completely up-to-date. If there is support for the Maldives and other sites promoted recently, then we can still add them. But maybe at this point no more NEW proposals.

Total Nominations: 119

I've been looking at this list for a while now. I already have my Top 30 ready for voting, it was tough! I suppose the next 20 will be even more so. I would highly recommend at the very least googling every site and check the images, and perhaps read the wiki page.

Meltwaterfalls, if the survey is ready then when should we start voting? It would be great to have this survey posted on the website cover page, but that would be Els prerogative.

On another note: Should we add appropriate/representative links to each nomination?

Page  Page 10 of 16:  « Previous  1  ...  9  10  11  ...  15  16  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Top 50 missing - 2014 version

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑