World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /  

Aspiring to be on the T List!

Page  Page 52 of 57:  « Previous  1  ...  51  52  53  ...  57  Next »

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#766 | Posted: 28 Aug 2018 09:13 

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#767 | Posted: 4 Sep 2018 05:41 | Edited by: jonathanfr 

Author tirtha22
Partaker
#768 | Posted: 12 Sep 2018 03:19 

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#769 | Posted: 12 Sep 2018 09:40 
tirtha22:
Garo Hills[India]

Thanks for the information but it's already on the tentative lists since yesterday.
https://www.worldheritagesite.org/forums/index.php?action=vthread&forum=4&topic=1800& page=23

Author AJRC
Partaker
#770 | Posted: 13 Sep 2018 14:26 
Caminito del Rey (Spain)

Link of the news in Spanish, sorry: https://www.diariosur.es/interior/inician-tramites-caminito-20180913125039-nt.html

Author Durian
Partaker
#771 | Posted: 18 Sep 2018 02:54 
Thailand - Sri Thep Historical Park

Plan to submit on T-list Jan 2019

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1541774/sri-thep-proposed-as-world-heritage- site

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#772 | Posted: 24 Sep 2018 11:00 | Edited by: jonathanfr 
Verde Island Passage (Philippines)

http://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1048958

Author tirtha22
Partaker
#773 | Posted: 1 Oct 2018 02:11 

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#774 | Posted: 1 Oct 2018 13:39 
tirtha22:
City of Agra[India

Doesnt make sense to me. The city already has two WHS. And frankly, the city itself is worse than Delhi. Where is this WHS material?

Author Durian
Partaker
#775 | Posted: 7 Oct 2018 20:13 

Author Durian
Partaker
#776 | Posted: 9 Oct 2018 19:00 
USA - House of Taga

lobbying for the designation of the House of Taga as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

https://www.postguam.com/news/cnmi/mariana-islands-honor-chief-taga/article_bbb8de36- cb7a-11e8-be29-8fe37a18aeb5.html

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#777 | Posted: 16 Oct 2018 05:26 

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#778 | Posted: 28 Oct 2018 04:50 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Songkhla Thailand
I don't think we have seen this from Thailand before have we Durian?
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/special-reports/1565938/songkhla-town-closes-in-on-w orld-heritage-status

Does it stand a chance of flying?? I visited many many years ago but really only remember the painted fishing boats on the sands. The photos don't seem to show anything in very good condition and the date of 2020 must be pie in the sky!!

The main claim "Estimated at over 200 years old, this small town is famous for blending the architectural heritage of the Islamic religion with a Sino-Portuguese style, a genre of Southeast Asia architecture." seems to cover a subject which is already pretty well covered??

Author Durian
Partaker
#779 | Posted: 30 Oct 2018 03:17 | Edited by: Durian 
Solivagant

I did post couples of years ago about news of Songkha. It is a provincial capital that unfortunately did not get any benefit from economic boom during 1980 - 2000, because all of investment fund went to nearby commercial and transportation hub city of Had Yai. With lack of rapid development, it was one of few strange provincial capitals that still retained old historic area quite intact with old city wall, old city gate, shophouses etc.

The WHS idea actually inspired by Malaysia's Georgetown and Melaka. Local university and NGOs campaigned to preserved historic area and set the goal to become WHS, they claimed that if Penang can be WHS, why not our town! and it will attract more tourists.

I visited Songkha last year for my friend wedding, so this is my opinion, the historic core is a bit too small with only 3 streets, there is no significant buildings to show something that really unique. There are some nice colonial, Sino-Portuguese and even Art Nouveau buildings, fine Chinese temples, Thai temple. But to compared it with Georgetown or Melaka is a bit ridiculous. Its scale is comparable to Phuket old town or Hoi An. But I heard that there are two nomination zone, one in the town and the other on the hill opposite the lake shore. I have no idea on the latter part which heard to be full with old government colonial buildings and fishermen villages.

A chance of flying? Hard to say, remember what we discussed in Bangkok? It is very unique that Thailand, the country that escaped the colonization, has too many colonial buildings similar to Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam. While in those countries their architecture dominated by the trend of their colonizer. Thailand's western architecture developed by their own taste, there are French, British, Dutch, Italian or even German styled colonial buildings in Bangkok and many provincial capitals. Songkha has that Georgetown and Melaka have but in much smaller scale, but its story behind is different. So I think it is depend on how to write the nomination dossier. But to be honest it is a poor choice, I would prefer old Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Nan than Songkha. Also I believe this nomination is a bit too rush, well this maybe a result of regional rivalry. There are WHSs in almost every regions of Thailand except the southern. So there are many plans to nominate many sites from Southern area e.g. Wat Mahathat of Nakhon Si Thammarat, Songkha Town, Ranong Mangrove Forest, Andaman Sea. While the recent movement from the central government seem to focus on Chiang Mai in the North, Phanom Roong in Northeast, Si Thep and Death Railway in Central region, nothing from the south. Songkha and Wat Mahathat are purely supported by provincial government and NGOs level. With lack of real support, I have no confident in nomination document! but even with full support from the government, the outcome on OUV presentation maybe still bad similar to Phuphrabat case.

Author tirtha22
Partaker
#780 | Posted: 30 Oct 2018 04:13 

Page  Page 52 of 57:  « Previous  1  ...  51  52  53  ...  57  Next » 
Top 50 Missing www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Top 50 Missing /
 Aspiring to be on the T List!

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑