World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Connection suggestion

Page  Page 57 of 60:  « Previous  1  ...  56  57  58  59  60  Next »

Author Jurre
Partaker
#841 | Posted: 3 Jan 2023 10:52 | Edited by: Jurre 
These are connections that already exist, but with an update or a correction.

Connection: Brick architecture

Belfries – Belfries of Armentières, Bailleul, Bergues, Binche, Calais, Comines, Doullens, Dunkerque, Eeklo, Loos, Lille, Gravelines, Herentals, Menen, Nieuwpoort, Tielt; market hall of Bruges

Connection: Cathedrals

Belfries – Cathedral of Our Lady (Antwerp), tower of the St. Rumbold's Cathedral (Mechelen), Basilica of Our Lady in Tongeren (former cathedral)

Connection: Damaged in World War I

Belfries – Amiens, Arras, Béthune, Comines, Dendermonde, Leuven, Mechelen, Nieuwpoort, Ypres

Connection: Dragon

Belfries – The weather vane on the spire of the Belfry of Ghent is a gilded copper dragon. Symbolically, the dragon protected municipal liberties. Dragons also feature on top of the belfries of Béthune, Calais, Tournai and Ypres. (Nomination file, p. 13) (Dutch Wikipedia)

Connection: Gothic

Belfries – Arras, Antwerp, Bruges, Dunkerque (Saint-Éloi), Leuven, Mechelen, Nieuwpoort, Oudenaarde, Tongeren, Ypres, Zoutleeuw

Connection: Octagons

Belfries – Arras, Boulogne-sur-Mer, Bruges, Hesdin, Menen, Veurne

Connection: Prison

Belfries – The belfries of Abbeville, Amiens, Arras, Gent, Hesdin, Rue, Saint-Riquier, Tournai and Ypres were used as prison. Jeanne d'Arc is said to have been locked up for one night in the belfry of Lucheux on her way to Rouen, where she was burnt at the stake. (Nomination file, p. 49)

Connection: Sundial

Belfries – Several belfries have sundials: Abbeville, Amiens (Nomination file, p. 46, 47) The belfry of Aalst has a sundial dating from 1600 on its front. (Dutch Wikipedia)

Connection: Unfinished constructions

Belfries – Belfry and Sint-Pieterskerk of Leuven, tower of the St. Rumbold's Cathedral (Mechelen) (Dutch Wikipedia)

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#842 | Posted: 7 Jan 2023 11:53 | Edited by: jonathanfr 
To move "Historic Laboratories" from "Construction Connections" to "Science and Technology Connections"

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#843 | Posted: 15 Jan 2023 19:56 
Memories of recent conflicts

According to WHC/21/44.COM/INF.8.2, we have 2 other sites :

- Mostar
- Robben Island

Author elsslots
Admin
#844 | Posted: 17 Jan 2023 09:55 
I've just started adding a new Connection: INTO Places (see https://www.into.org/places/ for what it involves). Thanks Elena for the suggestion!
Is there anyone here who has practical experience with this? Especially in the UK: could I go into all UK National Trust places just showing my "Geldersch Landschap and Kasteelen" card (which even doesn't have a membership, only donations) from the Netherlands?

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#845 | Posted: 17 Jan 2023 12:54 
And Giants Causeway.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#846 | Posted: 17 Jan 2023 14:42 | Edited by: jonathanfr 

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#847 | Posted: 17 Jan 2023 15:34 
OUV provided by Reconstructions

- Le Havre

Criterion (ii): The post-war reconstruction plan of Le Havre is an outstanding example and a landmark of the integration of urban planning traditions and a pioneer implementation of modern development in architecture, technology and town planning.

Author Astraftis
Partaker
#848 | Posted: 17 Jan 2023 19:12 
elsslots:
I've just started adding a new Connection: INTO Places (see https://www.into.org/places/ for what it involves). Thanks Elena for the suggestion!
Is there anyone here who has practical experience with this? Especially in the UK: could I go into all UK National Trust places just showing my "Geldersch Landschap and Kasteelen" card (which even doesn't have a membership, only donations) from the Netherlands?

Very nice connection! I was myself thinking to propose it, but could not go beyond Italy's site and just some English one. It is surprising to learn there are so many internationally! I will try to put my FAI inscription at good use...

Just some small, pedantic details: della in Giardino della Kolymbethra is lowercase; it is Castelseprio with one t, but more importantly, only Torba is managed by FAI (it was their first one!), while Castelseprio's archaeological area is state-owned and has a different entrance (even if it's free).

Author elsslots
Admin
#849 | Posted: 18 Jan 2023 03:12 

I think it is debatable whether Ani really is a ghost town, although it often is described as such. Isn't it 'just' a set of ruins? It has no roads, no houses. It has been abandoned centuries ago. There are other medieval city ruins such as Mystras on the List.

Author Zoe
Partaker
#850 | Posted: 21 Jan 2023 07:02 | Edited by: Zoe 

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#851 | Posted: 25 Jan 2023 15:08 
Provins and Rachid Karami International Fair-Tripoli are not in the "International Exhibitions" connection.

However, the word "fair" is part of their title and they deserve to be in a connection.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#852 | Posted: 25 Jan 2023 20:01 | Edited by: jonathanfr 
Odesa: Ancient Greek colonies
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Ancient_settlement_in_Odesa

Odesa: Art Nouveau: Falz-Fein House
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/ukraine/odesa/attractions/falz-fein-house/a/poi-sig/1583323/360931

Odesa: Built or owned by French: Armand-Emmanuel de Vignerot du Plessis, duc de Richelieu
"In the eleven years of his administration, Odesa greatly increased in size and importance, eventually becoming the third largest city in the empire by population. The grateful Odesan erected a bronze monument to him in 1828. These are the famous Odesa Steps, crowned by a statue of Richelieu."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armand-Emmanuel_de_Vignerot_du_Plessis,_duc_de_Richelieu

New connection: Pushkin (Moscow, Odesa, St. Petersburg)

Author elsslots
Admin
#853 | Posted: 25 Jan 2023 23:52 
jonathanfr:
Rachid Karami International Fair-Tripoli are not in the "International Exhibitions" connection.

However, the word "fair" is part of their title and they deserve to be in a connection.

I have been looking whether a fair has ever been held at the place in Tripoli. Or was it never used for it? Need sources.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#854 | Posted: 26 Jan 2023 00:23 
The articles on this site seem to indicate the fairground was never used for its intended purpose because it was not completed before the Lebanese civil war started in 1975.

Author elsslots
Admin
#855 | Posted: 26 Jan 2023 01:39 
jonathanfr:
Pushkin (Moscow,

What would be the link to Kremlin/Red Square? (Moscow's core zone is very limited, his place of birth and wedding are outside)

Page  Page 57 of 60:  « Previous  1  ...  56  57  58  59  60  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Connection suggestion

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑