World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Connection suggestion

Page  Page 52 of 60:  « Previous  1  ...  51  52  53  ...  59  60  Next »

Author csarica
Partaker
#766 | Posted: 15 Oct 2022 16:51 
Isfahan is a hotspot: Three inside the city and three qanat 1-2 hours away from the city.

Author csarica
Partaker
#767 | Posted: 20 Oct 2022 15:58 
Seokguram Grotto has Strict no-photography policy inside

Author Walter
Partaker
#768 | Posted: 21 Oct 2022 13:24 
jonathanfr

Santa Maria delle Grazie:
I visited the site in June 2021: the no-photography policy inside had ben dropped

Author Sebasfhb
Partaker
#769 | Posted: 30 Oct 2022 17:00 
I visited Augustusburg Castle on Thursday. Eastern wing is currently under restoration (scaffolding). The outside is covered, but the inside is still open.

Author elsslots
Admin
#770 | Posted: 2 Nov 2022 04:08 
Back on duty!

The Strict No Photography connection proved to be popular - we have 18 sites now and there will be more. Thanks to all for sending these in.

An interesting side effect is that we now realize that a few notorious sites have changed their photo policy recently - I'll see if I can turn those into a connection as well. Santa Maria della Grazie (Walter), Rotonda in Vicenza (Solivagant), Rietveld Schröder Huis (Phillipp & myself) are candidates.

Author elsslots
Admin
#771 | Posted: 2 Nov 2022 04:14 
elsslots:
jonathanfr:
A new connection to consider: IUGS Geological Heritage Sites

I don't think the full list has been made public yet, or has it? We have to wait until the end of October.

This one is available now and has numerous WHS. I'll comb through it: https://iugs-geoheritage.org/designations/

Author Liam
Partaker
#772 | Posted: 3 Nov 2022 05:23 | Edited by: Liam 
Would we add Lviv to the new Lord Curzon connection? Curzon was tasked with proposing an Eastern border for Poland following WWI and Lviv lay between two options for his 'Curzon Line'. This created the pretext for Stalin to demand the city later.

Westminster should definitely be included as he sat in both the House of Commons (as MP for Southport) and then later in the Lords (including as Leader of the House of Lords in the 1920s).

Author Jurre
Partaker
#773 | Posted: 3 Nov 2022 05:27 
Connection: Normans

Roman Walls of Lugo - "The town was to be ravaged once again in 968 by the Normans, on their way to the Mediterranean, and it was not restored until the following century." (AB Ev)

Connection: Sieges and Battles

Roman Walls of Lugo - "Lugo was unable to resist the Suevi when they swept into the peninsula in the early 5th century and destroyed the town by fire. They were to be dislodged in their turn by the Visigoths, who captured the town in 457 and settled it once again. The irresistible Moorish invasion of Spain saw Lugo overwhelmed and sacked in 714, but it was recaptured for Christendom by Alfonso I of Asturias in 755 and restored by Bishop Odarius. The town was to be ravaged once again in 968 by the Normans, on their way to the Mediterranean, and it was not restored until the following century." (AB Ev)

---

I would argue that this connection is also valable, but I leave it up to you:

Connection: Linear inscriptions

Roman Walls of Lugo - "Lugo is the only city in the world to be surrounded by completely intact Roman walls, (...) along a 2,117-metre (...) circuit ringed with 71 towers. The walk along the top is continuous round the circuit". (Wikipedia - Lugo) "The entire circuit survives intact and is the finest example of late Roman fortifications in western Europe." (Official description)

Author csarica
Partaker
#774 | Posted: 3 Nov 2022 21:40 
csarica:
Isfahan is a hotspot: Three inside the city and three qanat 1-2 hours away from the city.

Have you seen this Els?

Author elsslots
Admin
#775 | Posted: 4 Nov 2022 01:57 
csarica
yes, will add it!

Author Jurre
Partaker
#776 | Posted: 5 Nov 2022 21:47 
Connection: Glaciers

Yellowstone - Glaciers in Yellowstone National Park (United States of America) – very likely to disappear by 2050 (UNESCO finds that some iconic World Heritage glaciers will disappear by 2050)

Connection: Affected by Climate Change

Huascaran National Park - Glaciers in Huascaran National Park (Peru) have shrunk by 15% since 2000 (UNESCO finds that some iconic World Heritage glaciers will disappear by 2050)

Los Alerces National Park - Glaciers in Los Alerces National Park (Argentina) – #2 highest mass loss relative to 2000 (45.6%) (UNESCO finds that some iconic World Heritage glaciers will disappear by 2050)

Three parallel rivers of Yunnan - Glaciers in Three Parallel Rivers of Yunnan Protected Areas (China) – #1 highest mass loss relative to 2000 (57.2%) and also the fastest melting glacier on the List (UNESCO finds that some iconic World Heritage glaciers will disappear by 2050)

Waterton Glacier International Peace Park - Glaciers in Waterton Glacier International Peace Park (Canada, United States of America) have lost 26.5% of their volume in 20 years (UNESCO finds that some iconic World Heritage glaciers will disappear by 2050)

Western Tien-Shan - Glaciers in Western Tien-Shan (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan) have shrunk by 27% since 2000 (UNESCO finds that some iconic World Heritage glaciers will disappear by 2050)

Author elsslots
Admin
#777 | Posted: 6 Nov 2022 02:04 | Edited by: elsslots 
Jurre:
Connection: Glaciers

Yellowstone - Glaciers in Yellowstone National Park (United States of America) – very likely to disappear by 2050 (UNESCO finds that some iconic World Heritage glaciers will disappear by 2050)

I am not sure whether Yellowstone has active/current Glaciers. All named here seem to be remains of earlier stages of glaciation that have since gone.

Confirmed not to have existed for millennia: https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2022/11/fact-check-does-yellowstone-have-glaciers-and-are-there-national-parks-great-plains (thanks Solivagant)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#778 | Posted: 6 Nov 2022 03:28 

Some nice fact-checking! Well done! Seems we can't 100% trust the Unesco either... :-)

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#779 | Posted: 6 Nov 2022 03:52 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Jurre:
Seems we can't 100% trust the Unesco either... :-)

I would put my %age trust in UNESCO a lot lot lower than that!!!
Here is the 32 page report quoted in their naive enthusiasm to report upcoming climate disaster by CNN et al.
Mind you - UNESCO gives itself an out - "The ideas and opinions expressed in this publication are those of the authors; they are not necessarily those of UNESCO and do not commit the Organization". The contributors came from IUCN as well and it was issued as a joint publication
Here is the actual quote from the report (my "bold")
"A first attempt to compute the individual responses of World Heritage glaciers was recently undertaken (55). Projections indicate that, regardless of the applied climate scenario, glaciers in all World Heritage sites outside the polar ice sheets with glacierized areas less than 10 km² may almost completely disappear by 2050 (56). This represents around one-third of all World Heritage glacierized sites and includes the last remaining glaciers in Africa (on Mount Kilimanjaro, Mount Kenya and the Rwenzori-Virunga mountains) as well as other iconic sites in Europe and North America such as the Dolomites (Italy), Pyrénées – Mont Perdu (France, Spain), Yellowstone National Park and Yosemite National Park (United States of America)."
Refs 55 and 56 were from "Bosson etc al 1999" and are to be found here.
The actual statement in this document is "the 9 glaciers of Yellowstone Park seem to have disappeared entirely and/or are stagnant snow patches"... and this needed careful usage - something one unfortunately doesn't always get on Climate related matters - from those on all sides!!

Author Colvin
Partaker
#780 | Posted: 6 Nov 2022 09:09 
Wow — that's a pretty big mistake to get into the report. Thanks for the link to the fact check, Solivagant! I also enjoyed the other fact check in that report that confirmed the US does indeed have national parks in the Great Plains.

Page  Page 52 of 60:  « Previous  1  ...  51  52  53  ...  59  60  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Connection suggestion

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑