World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Connection suggestion

Page  Page 51 of 55:  « Previous  1  ...  50  51  52  53  54  55  Next »

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#751 | Posted: 2 Oct 2022 16:39 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Dark-sky Preserve: Connection Update (link)

Grand Canyon National Park (US)
Mammoth Cave National Park (US) *identified for connection on previous post
Mesa Verde National Park (US)
Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park (Canada/US)

On Coins: America the Beautiful Quarters

"The America the Beautiful quarters were a series of 56 25-cent pieces (quarters) issued by the United States Mint, which began in 2010 and lasted until 2021". - Wiki

Yellowstone National Park - 2010
Yosemite National Park - 2010
Grand Canyon - 2010
Glacier National Park - 2011
Olympic National Park - 2011
Chaco Cultural National Historical Park - 2012
Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park - 2012
Great Smoky Mountains National Park - 2014
Everglades National Park - 2014
San Antonio Missions National Historical Park - 2019

Author elsslots
Admin
#752 | Posted: 3 Oct 2022 02:19 | Edited by: elsslots 
winterkjm:
Free entrance - Entry to Mammoth Cave National Park and its surface features is free of charge. There is, however, a charge to tour the cave, stay in campgrounds, or reserve picnic shelters. - NPS *Note: Part of the criteria is based on surface-level features outside the cave itself

"Outside the cave, the karst topography is superb, with fascinating landscapes and all of the classic features of a karst drainage system: vast recharge area, complex network of underground conduits, sinkholes, cracks, fissures, and underground rivers and springs." Part of Criterion (viii) for inscription on the world heritage list.

I think it counts. At least noteworthy enough to mention, so cheapskates can visit!
UPDATE: we then have to remove the Guided Tour only connection (did so already)

Author elsslots
Admin
#753 | Posted: 3 Oct 2022 02:26 
winterkjm:
Fatal Accidents or 'disasters' - "Tragedy at Sand Cave"

It's a fascinating story, but does not meet the criteria of the connection as 'only' 1 person died (we're looking for "significant numbers of human deaths"). Unless you can find more deaths in the caves over the years... maybe include this as well https://www.nps.gov/articles/tuberculosis-mammoth-cave.htm

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#754 | Posted: 3 Oct 2022 04:35 
I saw that this had the requirement of many deaths, but I thought it was a significant tale nevertheless. The president was notified daily on rescue efforts and it helped lead to the creation of the park by signaling a slow end to the "Kentucky Cave Wars".

Author elsslots
Admin
#755 | Posted: 3 Oct 2022 04:40 | Edited by: elsslots 
I'll add it as an example, there have been many more accidental deaths there during the years (due to heart attacks, helicopter crashes etc)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#756 | Posted: 3 Oct 2022 19:13 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Located in a Former Capital

Malbork Castle - Located in Malbork, formerly Marienburg, the capital of the State of the Teutonic Order (1308–1454) (Wikipedia - State of the Teutonic Order)

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#757 | Posted: 4 Oct 2022 16:37 
A new connection to consider: IUGS Geological Heritage Sites

https://www.iugs.org/_files/ugd/f1fc07_af0231893ea04e61986d7aaf92cc085a.pdf?index=true

Author elsslots
Admin
#758 | Posted: 7 Oct 2022 02:06 
jonathanfr:
A new connection to consider: IUGS Geological Heritage Sites

I don't think the full list has been made public yet, or has it? We have to wait until the end of October.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#759 | Posted: 10 Oct 2022 12:14 | Edited by: winterkjm 
The IUCN Green List has expanded dramatically. some may be world heritage sites (or will be soon) that we can add to our IUCN Green List Connection.

https://iucngreenlist.org/explore/green-list-sites/

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#760 | Posted: 10 Oct 2022 19:58 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Ancient and Primeval Beech Forests of the Carpathians and Other Regions of Europe (Italy) *Component - Sasso Fratino

Foreste Casentinesi, Monte Falterona and Campigna National Park (Italy) - The integral nature reserve of Sasso Fratino, in the heart of the National Park of the Casentinesi Forests, Monte Falterona and Campigna

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#761 | Posted: 13 Oct 2022 20:26 
Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks: Spiral Tunnels at the Big Hill

- Railways: Canadian Pacific Railway
- Tunnels

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/spiral-tunnels-at-the-big-hill

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/bc/yoho/culture/kickinghorse/visit/spirale-spiral

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#762 | Posted: 14 Oct 2022 05:47 
New connection suggestion: Strict no-photography policy inside (Connection Group: Visiting conditions)

Els' recent review of the change in the right to photograph inside Rietveld Schröderhuis gave me this idea of a connection.

This should be limited to individual sites and iconic sites in a series.

To start:

- Brú na Bóinne: Newgrange
- Hal Saflieni Hypogeum
- Santa Maria delle Grazie

Author elsslots
Admin
#763 | Posted: 14 Oct 2022 07:22 
Thanks jonathanfr, I've added that one.

Author elsslots
Admin
#764 | Posted: 14 Oct 2022 07:25 
FYI - for the coming 2 weeks (Sunday 16 - 30 Oct) I will be travelling 'off-grid'. You can still leave your connection suggestions in this topic, but I will only be able to add them after I return.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#765 | Posted: 14 Oct 2022 12:00 
With regards to the Queens and Empresses connection:

I think a link to the Queen Victoria connection should be made in the description, to make clear she has her own connection. Therefore, Kew Gardens and Westminster should be deleted from this connection, as they feature in the Queen Victoria connection.

Page  Page 51 of 55:  « Previous  1  ...  50  51  52  53  54  55  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Connection suggestion

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑