World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Connection suggestion

Page  Page 49 of 50:  « Previous  1  ...  47  48  49  50  Next »

Author Jurre
Partaker
#721 | Posted: 3 Sep 2022 14:42 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Augustinian Order

Stone Town of Zanzibar – "(...) dozens of Christian graves were found dating to the 16th and 17centuries, when an Augustinian mission stood on the site." (UAE-led project makes groundbreaking discovery in zbar's famed Stone Town)

Connection: Dubbed as another WHS

Stone Town of Zanzibar – "the Venice of East Africa" (UAE-led project makes groundbreaking discovery in zbar's famed Stone Town)

Connection: Ongoing Archaeological digs

Stone Town of Zanzibar – Archaelogical digs in the Old Fort led by the UAE in 2022 to investigate the origins of the Stone Town. A further expedition is planned in January 2023. (UAE-led project makes groundbreaking discovery in zbar's famed Stone Town)

Author Jasam
Partaker
#722 | Posted: 4 Sep 2022 06:41 
Historical bullrings
Bullrings that are part of the Unión de Plazas de Toros Históricas (UPTH).
- Aranjuez Plaza de toros de Aranjuez (1797)
- Heritage of Mercury Plaza de toros de Almadén (1765)
- Lima Plaza de toros de Acho (1766)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#723 | Posted: 4 Sep 2022 09:43 
Connection: Brick architecture

Persian Garden – Shazdeh Garden: "Apart from the beauties of the garden, two-story mansions in the western and eastern parts of the garden perfectly represent Persian architecture. The main material used in them is brick (...)." (UNESCO-registered garden to improve tourist amenities)

Author elsslots
Admin
#724 | Posted: 4 Sep 2022 23:34 
jonathanfr:
Not accepted?

Don't worry - just be a little patient while I am travelling.

Author elsslots
Admin
#725 | Posted: 4 Sep 2022 23:44 
Jasam:
Historical bullrings

Nice one, thanks!

Author elsslots
Admin
#726 | Posted: 4 Sep 2022 23:47 
Alejandro e-mailed me with a connection for Serpentine soils. I will add it, but share his proposal here as well as it may remind you of additional sites that we can add to it:

"This type of soil is quite rare, as It develops through the weathering of mantle intrusions, which are geologically very interesting areas of study. Furthermore serpentine soils are known for their toxicity which leads to high endemism.

Serpentine soils are explicitly mentioned in the inscription criteria of Alexander Von Humboldt (for their biology) and Gros morne (for their geology). They also feature heavily in Kinabalu park.

Furthermore, It's likely we'll see more sites with important serpentine deposits. New guinea and New Caledonia, two of the most biodiverse regions on earth (and still somehow not represented on the list??) have important serpentine deposits which give them added endemicity.

Btw, the Troodos mountains have one of the most important serpentine deposits in the world, but It's not mentioned in the painted churches of the Troodos region, so idk if It's worth including them."

Author Jurre
Partaker
#727 | Posted: 6 Sep 2022 19:28 
Connection: Bronze Age

Moenjodaro – "Once the centre of a powerful civilization, Mohenjo Daro was one of the world's earliest cities — a Bronze Age metropolis boasting flush toilets, as well as a water and waste system to rival modern standards." (Monsoon rains in Pakistan could destroy UNESCO World Heritage Site)

---

Already existing, but adding a rationale:

Connection: Irrigation and drainage

Moenjodaro – "Once the centre of a powerful civilization, Mohenjo Daro was one of the world's earliest cities — a Bronze Age metropolis boasting flush toilets, as well as a water and waste system to rival modern standards." "(...) the civilization at Mohenjo Daro (...) built an elaborate drainage system, which has been critical during flooding in the past." (Monsoon rains in Pakistan could destroy UNESCO World Heritage Site)

Author FredericM
Partaker
#728 | Posted: 9 Sep 2022 17:04 
Can a stone coffin qualify as a non-portable object? If so, I might have a new addition to the British Museum Connection.

When I visited, I noticed this stone coffin in front a big picture of a key-hole shaped mound (thus Mozu-Furuichi Kofungun). However, I struggle at determining if the tomb where the coffin was found is actually inscribed. It is from Toyonaka-shi (Taikozuka dolmens at Sakuraidani), ten kilometers south of Osaka. It looks promising, but searching for those terms online always bring me back to the British Museum site... It rings a bell to someone?

Author Colvin
Partaker
#729 | Posted: 9 Sep 2022 21:44 
FredericM:
Can a stone coffin qualify as a non-portable object?

There's a Tentative World Heritage Site in Palau that certainly would like to make that case, although it looks like Els considered Tet el Bad a moveable structure in her write-up.

Author elsslots
Admin
#730 | Posted: 10 Sep 2022 13:04 
FredericM:
. However, I struggle at determining if the tomb where the coffin was found is actually inscribed.

Its location isn't mentioned in the nomination file, so I'd guess it's not from one of the inscribed areas.

FredericM:
Can a stone coffin qualify as a non-portable object?

In general I'd say it's portable. Unless it was an integral part of another construction, hewn out in the floor or something.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#731 | Posted: 12 Sep 2022 02:28 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Regarding the recent flurry of interesting "Poetic" Connections.
It might be better wherever possible to find and link to an English translation done by a "professional" translator of poetry.
Regarding the Seville connection of "Giralda" by Gerardo Diego - this link I think provides a more meaningful translation in a number of respects (but is still not "easy"! Maybe there are better ones still?)

Author elsslots
Admin
#732 | Posted: 12 Sep 2022 02:34 
Solivagant:
Regarding the recent flurry of interesting "Poetic" Connections.
It might be better wherever possible to find and link to an English translation done by a "professional" translator of poetry.

Ah thanks, I was already wondering about this. The text in English of some didn't seem very poetic to me.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#733 | Posted: 12 Sep 2022 05:54 | Edited by: jonathanfr 

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#734 | Posted: 12 Sep 2022 08:30 | Edited by: jonathanfr 
Two more for this connection:

- Baalbek
- Göbekli Tepe

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#735 | Posted: 14 Sep 2022 10:37 | Edited by: jonathanfr 
Tiwanaku: Dubbed as another WHS: "American Stonehenge"
https://www.penn.museum/sites/tiwanaku/background.shtml

Page  Page 49 of 50:  « Previous  1  ...  47  48  49  50  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Connection suggestion

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑