World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Connection suggestion

Page  Page 48 of 55:  « Previous  1  ...  47  48  49  ...  54  55  Next »

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#706 | Posted: 23 Aug 2022 16:11 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Astraftis:
Solivagant:
Caserta does but nothing particularly noteworthy??
I think it is noteworthy enough, together with its context, to be added! It was a quite important throne.

I had great difficulty even to find a description of the throne.
This states "on the back wall is a portable guilder (sic) throne"
Wiki on Caserta doesn't mention it.
Neither does this -
The Caserta throne room is noteworthy - but the throne itself?? It doesn't even appear to have a specific "name" (Having a name as a requirement might help to keep the Connection to truly "monumental" or significant thrones?)

I see that Holyrood Palace Edinburgh has a couple of thrones ..............

Author Durian
Partaker
#707 | Posted: 23 Aug 2022 20:43 
Solivagant:

Another option is to make those throne more special, for example, a place you can fine throne outside palace or royal residences, so we can delete all those thrones inside palaces.

Author Astraftis
Partaker
#708 | Posted: 24 Aug 2022 19:35 
Solivagant
Solivagant:
Astraftis:
Solivagant:
Caserta does but nothing particularly noteworthy??
I think it is noteworthy enough, together with its context, to be added! It was a quite important throne.

This states "on the back wall is a portable guilder (sic) throne"
Wiki on Caserta doesn't mention it.
Neither does this -
The Caserta throne room is noteworthy - but the throne itself?? It doesn't even appear to have a specific "name" (Having a name as a requirement might help to keep the Connection to truly "monumental" or significant thrones?)

About having a name, I think it would be an extremely strict requirement, as so many thrones are prosaically just the "throne of X".

Now, it is true that the sources you report do not mention the throne (directly, at least), but others do, for example the Italian Wiki article about the Reggia or this site (scroll down under Arredi, i.e. furniture). The throne may not be gigantic, but it is surely rather bombastic and noteworthy, and I felt its central presence in the room (while I admit that though central, the one in the Savoy royal palace can appear a little underwhelming).

This said, maybe we should also consider the context of the throne, as so often such environments are conceived as a whole: it can be difficult to dissociate the monumentality of one from the other. And in this Caserta's throne room is surely royally outstanding, e.g. for all the references to the reign's provinces embroidered in the rich decoration. Looking at our list, I find other thrones that ar per se underwhelming, but in a powerful context, like Aachen's, Mahabodhi's, Potala's, Westminster's, probably even Saint Peter's... I see it difficult to restrict the throneness to a notion of grandiosity, which is not always so clearly determinable.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#709 | Posted: 25 Aug 2022 01:31 | Edited by: Solivagant 
White Throne Shalimar Gardens Lahore...
https://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asia/Pakistan/East/Punjab/Lahore/photo478563.htm

"grandiose" enough - even if not surrounded by a throne room?

Or these...
https://br.pinterest.com/pin/333899759859295269/

Author elsslots
Admin
#710 | Posted: 26 Aug 2022 02:44 
Solivagant:

it's about the throne, not the room - so yes!

Author elsslots
Admin
#711 | Posted: 26 Aug 2022 02:49 

I suspect that the "throne" here consists of the 2 chairs to the right - I'm inclined to say no. I have the same doubts about Caserta's throne - a splendid room with a tiny throne.

A distinguishing factor could be whether the throne in question could be carried by 1 person...

Author Astraftis
Partaker
#712 | Posted: 26 Aug 2022 07:46 
Solivagant:
White Throne Shalimar Gardens Lahore...
https://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asia/Pakistan/East/Punjab/Lahore/photo478563.htm

Once you understand it is classifiable as a throne and is not some kind of dais, it surely is remarkable :-) Even if not too "grandiose" to my eyes.

So, could we also need a connecton for splendid throne rooms?

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#713 | Posted: 26 Aug 2022 09:50 
Astraftis:
Once you understand it is classifiable as a throne and is not some kind of dais

The "throne" stands on the "dais" - as, I suspect, do many thrones!

Author Astraftis
Partaker
#714 | Posted: 26 Aug 2022 09:56 
Solivagant:
The "throne" stands on the "dais" - as, I suspect, do many thrones!

An apparently simple and identifiable object as a throne quickly escalated to something very complicated! XD

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#715 | Posted: 26 Aug 2022 09:58 | Edited by: Solivagant 
A misunderstanding by me i think..... I now understand what you meant about the throne potentially "being" a dais.... I believe that the Mughal rulers lounged on the "throne" - not that an extra chair was added!! . Am looking for a Mughal miniature of the "throne" in use.... Yes ...like this.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#716 | Posted: 27 Aug 2022 06:07 
A little correction for the "Irrigation and drainage" connection: "Dholavira: A Harappan City" is twice mentioned as a connection in the list.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#717 | Posted: 28 Aug 2022 01:23 
Ngorongoro:

- Crater Lakes
Lake Magadi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Magadi_(Ngorongoro)

- Blake and Mortimer
The Gondwana Shrine

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#718 | Posted: 30 Aug 2022 03:59 
Waterton Glacier International Peace Park: Tunnels: Ptarmigan Tunnel

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#719 | Posted: 30 Aug 2022 13:30 | Edited by: Solivagant 
jonathanfr:

This interesting pedestrian hiking tunnel has reminded me that some of the Levada Trails on Madeira also have tunnels.

Tunnels
Laurisilva of Madeira. Many Levadas include Tunnels ("To get through the central ridge, tunnels as long as 5km were constructed. Besides the levadas, including in the tunnels, are paths typically 1-2m wide, which allow access to the otherwise almost impenetrable forest" AB Eval & Nom File). E.g (within the inscribed area) - PR9 Levada do Caldeirão Verde

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#720 | Posted: 3 Sep 2022 01:51 | Edited by: jonathanfr 
jonathanfr:

Not accepted?

Page  Page 48 of 55:  « Previous  1  ...  47  48  49  ...  54  55  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Connection suggestion

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑