World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Connection suggestion

Page  Page 42 of 45:  « Previous  1  ...  41  42  43  44  45  Next »

Author elsslots
Admin
#616 | Posted: 22 May 2022 11:41 
Astraftis:
individual people to suggest, in particular for the Renaissance astronomer Tycho Brahe. We already have Copernicus and Kepler, he is the missing link! :-D

He was a Dane!

Author elsslots
Admin
#617 | Posted: 22 May 2022 11:41 
Jurre:
I think you might have made a little mistake in adding one of them. For the Necropolis of Bet She'arim you added the second one I proposed under "Rock Cut Architecture", where it should be "Rock Cut Art".

Indeed, fixed it!

Author elsslots
Admin
#618 | Posted: 22 May 2022 11:53 
Astraftis:
- Water Management System of Augsburg: For some time in his youth, Tycho made visits to Augsburg, where he found a circle of intellectuals of his liking. With the help of a local noble he also let build one of his first large astronomical instruments, the quadrans maximus, which unfortunately revealed itself too large for practical purposes! Tycho must surely have seen the many canals during his stays here.

I think this is a bit too creative for a connection, especially since the included areas are limited in scope.

Author Astraftis
Partaker
#619 | Posted: 22 May 2022 20:17 
elsslots:
Astraftis:
individual people to suggest, in particular for the Renaissance astronomer Tycho Brahe. We already have Copernicus and Kepler, he is the missing link! :-D

He was a Dane!

Yes!!! Not completely random, you say? ūüė¨

elsslots:
Astraftis:
- Water Management System of Augsburg: For some time in his youth, Tycho made visits to Augsburg, where he found a circle of intellectuals of his liking. With the help of a local noble he also let build one of his first large astronomical instruments, the quadrans maximus, which unfortunately revealed itself too large for practical purposes! Tycho must surely have seen the many canals during his stays here.

I think this is a bit too creative for a connection, especially since the included areas are limited in scope.

Hm, it might be, I was also thinking it might be stretched, though Augsburg did have a rather important place in his life/carrier.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#620 | Posted: 23 May 2022 16:39 

Author Assif
Partaker
#621 | Posted: 24 May 2022 14:46 | Edited by: Assif 

Author Assif
Partaker
#622 | Posted: 24 May 2022 15:13 
Rome - famous bridges:
Ponte Sant'Angelo with Bernini's statues
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponte_Sant%27Angelo

Author Jurre
Partaker
#623 | Posted: 24 May 2022 18:10 
Connection: In the Louvre

Acropolis - Frise des Panathénées (Louvre site)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#624 | Posted: 25 May 2022 04:49 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Acropolis

Butrint - "The acropolis was erected on a hill on the bank of a lake Butrint (or lake Bouthrotum). The first extension of the 7th century BC acropolis occurred during the 5th century BC. (...) The acropolis of Bouthrotum was protected by three circuit walls." (Wikipedia - Butrint)

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#625 | Posted: 25 May 2022 05:53 
Castaways or shipwrecked mariners: Banc d'Arguin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_frigate_M%C3%A9duse_(1810)

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#626 | Posted: 26 May 2022 05:13 
Lopé-Okanda: Railways: Transgabonais

Author Jurre
Partaker
#627 | Posted: 26 May 2022 06:30 | Edited by: Jurre 
Could we rename the Swamp connection to Swamps and marshes?

I was looking up the difference between the two and came across the website of National Geographic where "swamp" is defined as follows:

"A swamp is an area of land permanently saturated, or filled, with water. Many swamps are even covered by water. There are two main types of swamps: freshwater swamps and saltwater swamps. Swamps are dominated by trees. They are often named for the type of trees that grow in them, such as cypress swamps or hardwood swamps."

"Marsh" has the following definition:

"A marsh is a type of wetland, an area of land where water covers ground for long periods of time. Unlike swamps, which are dominated by trees, marshes are usually treeless and dominated by grasses and other herbaceous plants."

They then continue to list some examples such as the Everglades and the Okavango delta, which are marshes by their definition, and not swamps.

EDIT: The Wikipedia article "Swamp" does list marshes too as examples, so they seem to flow over into each other (pun intended). But the article does also make the difference between forested wetlands with woody vegetation and wetlands with herbaceous plants.

So I feel that by renaming the connection to "Swamps and marshes" we avoid the problem of differences in definition and possible miscategorisation.

EDIT: Or we could go for the term Wetlands, which covers both swamps and marshes.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#628 | Posted: 26 May 2022 17:30 
Connection: In the Louvre

Djémila - Door lintel (Louvre site)

Author elsslots
Admin
#629 | Posted: 31 May 2022 05:24 | Edited by: elsslots 
Jurre:
EDIT: Or we could go for the term Wetlands, which covers both swamps and marshes.

Wetlands would be too generic, that's more like a category.
It would be OK to include both Swamps and Marshes, unless a native English speaker can testify that there's a clear difference between them

Author elsslots
Admin
#630 | Posted: 31 May 2022 05:34 
jonathanfr:
Lopé-Okanda: Railways: Transgabonais

What would be the connection? I read in the nom file that 2 railway stations are in the buffer zone.

Page  Page 42 of 45:  « Previous  1  ...  41  42  43  44  45  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Connection suggestion

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑