World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Connection suggestion

Page  Page 37 of 45:  « Previous  1  ...  36  37  38  ...  44  45  Next »

Author Jurre
Partaker
#541 | Posted: 24 Dec 2021 11:54 
Connection: Grotesques

Cordouan Lighthouse - On the outside and inside of the lighthouse, there are decorations of mascarons, some of them "with grotesque faces", that are sometimes accompanied by plant motifs. (Nomination file, p. 53, 67)

Author elsslots
Admin
#542 | Posted: 25 Dec 2021 04:22 | Edited by: elsslots 
I've removed Qalhat from the "Not open to tourists" connection, as I got a first-hand report from someone (a regular tourist, not a WH collector) who has been there this year. She stated that it can be visited with permission (she was on a guided tour).

A visitor center is also planned:
https://www.muscatdaily.com/2021/09/26/unesco-world-heritage-sites-of-qalhat-bat-to-get-visitor-centres/

There's a video on Youtube also from a guy who visited in January 2021 through the front gate without problem (there were other people/cars around as well).

Author Jurre
Partaker
#543 | Posted: 25 Dec 2021 19:38 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Legends and Folk Myths

Cordouan Lighthouse - According to an ancient legend, the island of Antros floated in suspension on the Garonne, rising to the rhythm of the waves. The Roman geographer Pomponius Mela placed it at the mouth of the Gironde, at the position of the Cordouan plateau. (Nomination file, p. 92)

----

Can you also correct the name of the "Gironde" estuary (and not "Girande") in the description on the page about the Cordouan Lighthouse?

Author Jurre
Partaker
#544 | Posted: 27 Dec 2021 07:19 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: European Heritage Label (Source: European Heritage Label sites)

Colonies of Benevolence - Colonies of Benevolence (Belgium, the Netherlands) (Link)

Mining Sites of Wallonia - Bois du Cazier (Link)

Tallinn - Great Guild Hall (Link)

The Architectural Work of Le Corbusier - Weissenhofsiedlung as part of the Werkbund Estates in Europe (Link)

Vienna - The Imperial Palace (Hofburg) (Link)

---
Already existing, but adding rationale:

Acropolis - The Heart of Ancient Athens (Link)

Riga - The Three Brothers (Link)

----
On the other hand, these are not featured on the site, but feature in our connection: Avignon, Cracow and Painted Churches in the Troödos Region. I think they need to be removed.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#545 | Posted: 27 Dec 2021 13:00 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Renaissance

Cordouan Lighthouse - "The work carried out on the ground floor and the first floor of the building (...) directly evoked the Italian Renaissance. (...) However, the architectural language of the French Renaissance was not absent from the composition of Louis de Foix, especially in the upper parts." (Nomination file, p. 133-135)

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#546 | Posted: 27 Dec 2021 21:27 | Edited by: jonathanfr 
UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage Lists:

Borobudur: Gamelan

https://ich.unesco.org/en/RL/gamelan-01607?RL=01607

Pearling: Fjiri
https://ich.unesco.org/en/RL/fjiri-01747?RL=01747

Author Jurre
Partaker
#547 | Posted: 28 Dec 2021 19:30 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Mathematical Concepts

Cordouan Lighthouse - Stereotomy. The raising of the tower has been done thanks to stereotomy, "the art and science of cutting three-dimensional solids into particular shapes". It is sometimes also called "descriptive geometry" in technical drawing. (Nomination file, p. 163) + (Wikipedia - Stereotomy)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#548 | Posted: 30 Dec 2021 17:01 
Connection: ASEAN Heritage Parks

Kaeng Krachan Forest - Kaeng Krachan National Park (2003) (Wikipedia - ASEAN Heritage Parks)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#549 | Posted: 2 Jan 2022 19:13 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Linear inscriptions

Danube Limes - "(...) the fortifications consisted of a continuous chain of military installations almost all along the southern banks of the river. The backbone of the defence system was a string of legionary fortresses". (Brief synthesis)

Connection: Human Migration

Danube Limes - "The 77 component sites (...) offer a clear understanding of the way military strategies evolved over time to counter threats considered by the Romans emanating from sustained large scale migrations in the later years of the Roman Empire (...)." (Brief synthesis)

Connection: Reconstruction regarded as unsatisfactory by UNESCO or ICOMOS

Danube Limes - "The most extensive reconstruction is at Carnuntum, where work is still in progress and, although reversible, is in places conjectural. At Iža (Kelemantia) parts of the fort have been rebuilt in a way that is not readily distinguishable from original material. (...) Large-scale conjectural reconstruction on top of original fabric needs to be avoided." (Brief synthesis)

Connection: Extensions on Tentative List

Danube Limes - There are extensions to the Danube Limes on the Tentative Lists of Bulgaria, Croatia, Romania and Serbia.

Connection: Contiguous National Sites

Danube Limes - In Germany, with "Frontiers of the Roman Empire": "The Frontiers of the Roman Empire – The Danube Limes started at Bad Gögging (...). At Eining it was connected with the Upper German‐Raetian Limes in the existing WHS "Frontier of the Roman Empire"." (Nomination file, p. 54)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#550 | Posted: 3 Jan 2022 10:25 | Edited by: Jurre 
Do amphitheatres fall under the "Theatres" connection, or could we make a separate connection for amphitheatres?

Author Jurre
Partaker
#551 | Posted: 3 Jan 2022 10:50 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Baths

Danube Limes - Bad Gögging (ID No 1): "Substantial remains of the spa baths of legio III Italica were discovered here in the course of several excavation campaigns carried out between 1959 and 2007. The extensive building covered an area of at least 50 m by 36 m. It was formed by at least four building units, which housed numerous rooms with hypocaust heating, a steam room, several cold water pools and a 11 m by 8 m large central water basin with four to five hip‐baths attached to its north‐eastern wall." (Nomination file, p. 61)

Connection: Emperor Trajan

Danube Limes - Bad Gögging (ID No 1): Emperor Trajan visited the area around 110 and had a thermal bath built for the garrison. Imprints on the bricks indicate that the bath was financed from both state and private assets of the emperor and was therefore of great importance. (German Wikipedia - Bad Gögging)

Author elsslots
Admin
#552 | Posted: 3 Jan 2022 12:34 
Jurre:
Do amphitheatres fall under the "Theatres" connection, or could we make a separate connection for amphitheatres?

They are in https://www.worldheritagesite.org/connection/Locations+for+playing+sport

Author Astraftis
Partaker
#553 | Posted: 3 Jan 2022 13:31 | Edited by: Astraftis 
I was thinking about a connection Tour of the country for those WHSs which are:
- discrete, i.e. serial (necessary condition)
- all in the same country
- "zero dimensional": they are not different areas, e.g. separated parts of natural parks, but single monuments or very specific places
- not linear, but distributed more freely
- spanning an underlying area which covers most of a single country.

More simply put, sparse WHSs whose complete visit would make you substantially make a round of all of the country, or a significant part of it, by land or sea. Beyond the mathematicese, concrete examples are:
- Langobards in Italy: to visit them all you have to go from the extreme of NE Italy in Friuli (Cividale) down to SE in Apulia (Monte San Michele), adding NW in Lombardy (Castelseprio) and the western side of Appenines in Benevento. To visit them all, you practically need to cover most of the peninsula!
- Vauban's fortifications: they're by definition covering all angles of France.
- I think the Sansa monasteries in Korea might also fit here: together they cover more than half of the country.
- Among tentative sites, the extension of the Chinese sacred mounts would (will?) fit here nearly by definition (as they symbolise all corners of the world), and the same goes for the sacred mounts of Mongolia. Conversely, I feel Pyu cities in Myanmar are laid out too linearly.

Right now I cannot come up with other similar sites, but these are at least three already.

I was also giving a look at other connections and some might need an update:
- Undergoing Restoration or Repair: Waiting for the monster-restoration in Prague, Camaret sur Mer (Vauban) and Plantin-Moretus seem finished by now. Ħal Saflieni has also reopened by now, right? Many others are apparently updated at 2016.
- Europa Nostra 7 Most Endangered: for 2021 also the Giusti garden in Verona is cited, which lies inside the core zone. I think it's recovering well, but you can see the wake of destruction of the terrible rainstorm of 2020, of which Goethe's cypress fell victim (but the connection stands anyway).

Lastly, I was humbly wondering if a connection like Appearing as wonder in the Age of Empires videogame series is acceptable. Probably I am biased, but as I suspect many of you already know this game (the 2 especially) is monumental in its genre, is still alive and kicking after more than 20 years, and most importantly has become part of popular culture and sparked the historical interest of many players. I once did a list of all the appearing WHS-wonders here, but there are some new ones:
- the city hall on the Grand Place in Bruxelles for Burgundians;
- Monreale cathedral (Arab-Norman Palermo) for Sicilians;
- Powder gate (part of Prague) for Bohemians - this means that Prague now appears twice in this list (for arcane reasons, the Franks' wonder is depicting St. Vitus cathedral);
- Wawel cathedral in Cracow for Poles.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#554 | Posted: 3 Jan 2022 13:40 

Maybe a sentence can be added to the "Theatres" connection that Amphitheatres fall under "Locations for playing sport"?

Author Jurre
Partaker
#555 | Posted: 3 Jan 2022 17:04 
Connection: Buried treasures

Danube Limes - Kastell Kumpfmühl (ID No 5): In 1989, during construction work in the west of the former Kumpfmühl fort, a deposit was discovered that turned out to be the largest coin find in southern Germany. Apart from coins, the hoard also comprised gold and silver jewelry. (German Wikipedia - Kastell Kumpfmühl)

Page  Page 37 of 45:  « Previous  1  ...  36  37  38  ...  44  45  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Connection suggestion

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑