I intervene between remote and spooky connections to propose some more pastoral ones which I have not been able to find among the existing ones: les plus beaux villages de France
e i borghi piú belli d'Italia
, both two similar organizations promoting beautiful villages in the respective countries. Indeed, more than one hosts or is part of a WHS!!!
Here is what I could find for each series (I also put some T-related ones in parentheses... for future reference?):
- I piú bei borghi d'Italia
('Italy's most beautiful hamlets')
(Orta San Giulio - T of Lago Maggiore and d'Orta)
* Vernazza - part of the Cinque terre
* Sabbioneta - Mantova & Sabbioneta
* Palmanova - Venetian fortifications
* Arquà Petrarca - near Vicenza, it has one (unfortunately now inaccessible) pile dwelling in its territory
(Brisighella - tangentially associated to one component of the T of Emilian evaporites)
(Subiaco - part of the Benedictine monasteries T)
(Civita di Bagnoregio - T and upcoming nomination!)
* Atrani, Conca dei Marini, Furore - all part of the Costiera amalfitana
* Castellabate - in Cilento, near punta Licosa
* Monte Sant'Angelo - Langobards!
* Morano Calabro - part of the ancestral beech forest of Pollinello should be in its territory, it's not so clear
(Stilo - T of the Cattolica di Stilo)
* Militello Val di Catania, Palazzolo Acreide - part of Val di Noto
* Cefalú - Arabo-Norman Palermo and cathedrals of Cefalú and Monreale
I might have missed some village in Val d'Orcia, some bordering a beech forest or other sparse WHSs, hm.
Now for France, even if I am less knowledgeable...
- Les plus beaux villages de France
('France's most beautiful villages')
*Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, Vézelay, Saint-Guilhem-le-Désert, Conques, Estaing, Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges, La Romieu - all on the French Camino
*Villefranche-de-Conflent - Vauban's fortifications
*Vézelay - originally also inscribed as its own WHS (thanks, Jurre!)
... and, well, I've not been able to locate others in France! So only two WHSs would be represented by this connection. But I would propose to just conflate both lists into a single connection Most beautiful villages
, possibly including other similar organizations in other countries.