World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Connection suggestion

Page  Page 33 of 38:  « Previous  1  ...  32  33  34  ...  38  Next »

Author Zoe
Partaker
#481 | Posted: 30 Nov 2021 09:44 
elsslots:
On Banknotes now has 137 entries. I guess coins would be similar? Or would there be more? Maybe limit it in time, so issued from 2000 or so?

Yes, there would be.
The State Quarters has quite a few already, plus the America the Beautiful adds more. Those could potentially be a "on US quarters" connection though.

So if limiting to circulating non-commemorative coins issued new or new edition post-2000 I can kick this off with:
Meroe
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces7463.html
+also on banknote by the way:
http://www.banknote.ws/COLLECTION/countries/AFR/SUD/SUDW2019-100.htm

Medieval Monuments in Kosovo
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces7605.html
(on the Serbian coins, interesting)

Studenica Monastery
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces7352.html

Seokguram Grotto and Bulguksa Temple
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces10999.html

Monticello
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces50.html
(new edition)

I don't think there are that many overall if you exclude anything that was issued before 2000 and is still the same design.

Author elsslots
Admin
#482 | Posted: 30 Nov 2021 10:34 
Zoe:
if limiting to circulating non-commemorative coins issued new or new edition post-2000

sounds good

Author Jurre
Partaker
#483 | Posted: 2 Dec 2021 12:29 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Octagons

Colonies of Benevolence - In the first phase of the Veenhuizen Colony (1823-1859), "an octagonal Dutch Reformed church was built near the Kolonievaart canal". (Nomination file, p. 146) It still exists today. (Wikipedia - Koepelkerk (Veenhuizen))

Connection: Leprosy

Colonies of Benevolence - In the second phase of the Veenhuizen Colony (1860-1918), "a small hospital for the cure of infectious diseases (lepers building) was built." (Nomination file, p. 148)

Connection: Company town

Colonies of Benevolence - The Society of Benevolence owned the grounds of the colonies and all the facilities on the territory, ranging from farms, workshops, staff houses and institutions to religious buildings, homes for the elderly, schools, cemeteries and hospitals. "The Society provided the families in their colonists' homes with household goods including sheets, distinctive Colony clothing, furniture and food. (...) Extra food could be bought in the Colony store with special Colony money. (Nomination file, p. 95)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#484 | Posted: 5 Dec 2021 04:32 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Jewish religion and culture

Colonies of Benevolence - In the Veenhuizen Colony, a synagogue was built in 1839. "In 1894 the
synagogue was converted into an office, although the main design of its exterior has been preserved." Veenhuizen also has "remnants of (a) Jewish cemetery (...), with one remaining gravestone". (Nomination file, p. 66, 68)

Connection: Protestantism

Colonies of Benevolence - The Veenhuizen Colony has "a Dutch Reformed church dating from 1825 (...) The interior and exterior of the (...) church are untouched." In Wilhelminaoord as well, there is a former Dutch reformed church with rectory. (Nomination file, p. 66, 119, 146)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#485 | Posted: 8 Dec 2021 18:34 
Connection: Brick architecture

Colonies of Benevolence - Many of the buildings in the colony are made of brick: former institutions, religious buildings, farms, staff houses, workshops, former schools, etc. (See illustrations in Wikipedia articles on Wilhelminaoord and Veenhuizen)

Author Zoe
Partaker
#486 | Posted: 11 Dec 2021 02:15 | Edited by: Zoe 
Connection: Takes more than 5 days to visit

Malpelo - https://www.malpelotours.com/ferox-boat/
This is currently the only dive boat operator btw, 8 days return.

Cocos - Dive trips take 10 days from/to Puntarenas

Bikini Atoll - While it may fit into this connection but depends how you define accessing it, currently you state 5 days from the nearest INTERNATIONAL airport but it seems to have been added from the POV of an Australian. Majuro is an international airport and it may be possible to sail over, take one of those unreliable domestic flights to get there and return, but that's why I said maybe leave it there just not for the Australian point of origin.

Phoenix Islands - the link is to a cruise ship operator but I don't find anything about the islands?
Aldabra Atoll - that link is dead

Wrangel - use this link instead https://www.heritage-expeditions.com/destinations/russian-far-east-travel/#trips

Author elsslots
Admin
#487 | Posted: 11 Dec 2021 08:54 
Zoe:
Connection: Takes more than 5 days to visit

Thanks Zoe. Updated!

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#488 | Posted: 11 Dec 2021 10:29 
A suggestion: to have a group of connections which could be called "Visiting conditions" and which would include the following already existing connections, to begin with:

- Best seen from the sky
- Biosecurity rules for tourists
- Discriminatory Entry Policies
- Guided Tour Only
- No road access
- Not open to tourists
- Seasonal WHS
- Takes more than 5 days to visit
- Unusual Entry Requirements or Restrictions
- Visitor Limits

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#489 | Posted: 11 Dec 2021 10:52 | Edited by: jonathanfr 
Isolated WHS:

To remove: Mogao Caves: near Silk Roads

To add: Taputapuātea

Author Zoe
Partaker
#490 | Posted: 12 Dec 2021 04:20 
jonathanfr:
- Seasonal WHS

Okavango Delta, I don't know how low it gets but I think what we have now seems more of a recommendation rather than it being totally not visitable. Otherwise it would also include low water level Victoria Falls and winter visits to Chinese mountains (which only Nan would do hehe)

Potential additions:
Bird Sanctuaries?
SG̱ang Gwaay - only has tours from April to September
Nahanni - charter flights only between June to September and the rivers would be frozen in winter so rafting/canoeing is out of the question - which are the only two realistic ways to access it
Vegaøyan - one is NOT allowed to visit the islands during duck breeding time. Could fit more into "Unusual Entry Requirements or Restrictions". Also I just read Nan commenting on my review and my complaint about the ferry crossing price was mostly that one can see similar scenery along the coast without spending money - not that the ferry itself was overpriced.
Wrangel - boat only goes between July-August or is there some crazy Russian tour that does this in winter? :o :)
Malpelo - no dive tours will take place during Columbia's heaviest rainy season ~ May/June
Skellig Michael - closed from October to May
St. Kilda?

Author elsslots
Admin
#491 | Posted: 12 Dec 2021 05:59 
Zoe:
Vegaøyan - one is NOT allowed to visit the islands during duck breeding time.

I cannot really find a source that confirms this, it's not on the official website for example. Do you know of one?

Author Zoe
Partaker
#492 | Posted: 12 Dec 2021 08:59 | Edited by: Zoe 
Hmm I also can't find anything to back that up, maybe it was just on a leaflet or info panel on the island. I can try to look through my pictures but I also realized that the breeding season is quite long and that might not be true after all. I'll get back to you if I find anything.

On a side note, I found a picture of a heap of eider down and I really want to jump into it...
https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5bdc35122714e5e87a3b3ed3/1582721202748-40DHPDZRAN8EBETPCRKV/La%CC%8Anan+1+kg+dun.jpg?format=1500w

Author Jurre
Partaker
#493 | Posted: 12 Dec 2021 10:11 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Louis XIV

Grand Place, Brussels - "In July 1695, the city of Namur, occupied for three years by the French, was besieged by an allied army led by William III. Louis XIV ordered the surprise destruction of a Flemish city to divert the attention of these troops. This led to the bombardment of Brussels, in which more than 4,000 buildings were destroyed, including the entire city-center. The strategy failed, as Namur fell three weeks later, but harmed Louis XIV's reputation: a century later, Napoleon deemed the bombardment "as barbarous as it was useless."" (Wikipedia - Louis XIV)

Connection: Already inscribed still on T List

Xanthos-Letoon - Xanthos is a component in the Turkish TWHS Ancient Cities of Lycian Civilization.

Connection: Reportedly haunted locations

San Miguel de Allende - "Casa de Sierra Nevada Hotel (...): allegedly, in this colonial building, the spirits of a 1910s butler and a 19th-century little girl appears. The first often interacts with people, a coffee aroma is associated with his presence; the second ghost often wanders for the gardens." (Wikipedia - List of reportedly haunted locations in Mexico)

Mexico City and Xochimilco - "Casa de los Condes de la Torre Cossío y de la Cortina , or the House of the Count De la Torre y la Cortina (...): A colonial mansion, in which during the 1630s, a spree killer named Juan Manuel de Solórzano lived. Believing his wife unfaithful, he killed several men, simply because they walked outside to his house. Juan Manuel would ask them the time, if they responded 11 pm, or showed anxiety, he would stab them. He was executed in 1641. The legend says that a man with 1600s-era clothing wanders in and around the house, sometimes asking bystanders for the time, and soon after disappearing." (Wikipedia - List of reportedly haunted locations in Mexico)

Oaxaca and Monte Alban - One of most famous legends is of "Matlazihua" or "Matlacihua", an evil entity who has the form of beautiful Native American woman dressed with a large white transparent dress. She often seduces men, hypnotizes them and brings them to solitary sites where she kills them or make them go crazy. She prefers machists and drinking men. According to some versions, she is an incarnation of the Aztec goddess Mictlantecihuát; others say she is a succubus type and according to others, she is a girl ghost who was raped and murdered during colonization and now seeks revenge. (Wikipedia - List of reportedly haunted locations in Mexico)

Chichen-Itza - "According to some testimonies the site is haunted by several entities, from ancient ghosts of sacrificed persons and Aluxes – fairy-like spirits in Mayan folklore – to aliens." (Wikipedia - List of reportedly haunted locations in Mexico)

Zacatecas - "One of the most popular legends is the legend of "Calle de las tres cruces". Here in 1761, two lovers— named Gabriel García and Beatriz Moncada— died in tragic circumstances, the legend says that the lovers ghosts appears in this street. (...) An other legend tells about a haunted backstreet named "Callejón del indio triste" where Xolotl, one of the last Chichimeca natives leaders, died during the 1550s. Another alleged haunted backstreet is known as "Callejón del mono prieto", where according to the legend, in the 17th century, a woman named Marciana Castillo died. The people believed that she practiced witchcraft (...)." (Wikipedia - List of reportedly haunted locations in Mexico)

Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks - "Banff Springs Hotel in Banff National Park is a reported location of multiple hauntings, including the ghosts of a young bride and a bellman." (Wikipedia - List of reportedly haunted locations in Canada)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#494 | Posted: 13 Dec 2021 19:16 | Edited by: Jurre 

Nahanni National Park - "Many tribes were afraid to settle within the region as they believed it to be an evil, haunted place inhabited by various spirits, specters, and devils." There is also a legend of violent deaths: multiple people have been found dead with their head cut off and nowhere to be found. "In addition to the mysterious beheadings, a good many others simply went missing without a trace. (...) Other phenomena have been reported from here as well. Mysterious lights and UFOs have long been sighted in the valley, as well as other unusual aerial phenomena." (The Mysterious Valley of the Headless Corpses)

Connection: Cryptozoology

Nahanni National Park - "The area is also known for its cryptids, as it is a hotspot for Bigfoot activity and is believed by some to hold a remnant population of a type of bear-like carnivore called the bear dog, or Amphicyonidae, which was thought to have gone extinct in the Pleistocene epoch." (The Mysterious Valley of the Headless Corpses)

Québec - Château Frontenac - "Many people, including the hotel's director, have spotted a man sitting on a windowsill overlooking the city, only to suddenly vanish moments later. This is allegedly the spirit of Louis de Buade de Frontenac, the man that the hotel was named after." (Ghost of Château Frontenac)

Author Colvin
Partaker
#495 | Posted: 13 Dec 2021 20:49 
Good updates, Jurre!

Here are some more from Mexico:

Hospicio Cabañas - " According to the legend several ghosts haunt it, mainly children spirits who wander in the building. Also supposedly it had a monumental clock installed in 1952. The clock mysteriously stopped whenever a child died in the orphanage." (Wikipedia - List of reportedly haunted locations in Mexico)

Queretaro - "Casa de La Zacatecana: A colonial mansion in Santiago de Querétaro, Querétaro. In the 17th century, a woman known as 'La Zacatecana' commanded the murder of her husband, and then executed the killer that she contracted for the murder. The legend says that the mansion harbours three spirits." (Wikipedia - List of reportedly haunted locations in Mexico)

Incidentally, last month I stayed in the supposedly haunted Meson de Jobito hotel in Zacatecas (though I had not heard about its history before my visit); it was a very restful place to stay!

Page  Page 33 of 38:  « Previous  1  ...  32  33  34  ...  38  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Connection suggestion

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑