World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Connection suggestion

Page  Page 30 of 31:  « Previous  1  ...  28  29  30  31  Next »

Author Jurre
Partaker
#436 | Posted: 5 Sep 2021 19:49 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Not open to tourists

Chankillo Archaeoastronomical Complex - No staff are present at Chankillo and the property is not yet officially opened for public visits. (Situation in 2021) (AB Ev)

Connection: Cultural landscape not recognized

Chankillo Archaeoastronomical Complex - The Nomination File and the AB Ev from IUCN (May 2020) refer to the site as a cultural landscape.

Author Euloroo
Partaker
#437 | Posted: 6 Sep 2021 09:19 
Slate Landscape of Northwest Wales - see AB eval

Author elsslots
Admin
#438 | Posted: 6 Sep 2021 10:49 
Euloroo:

I think it has been recognized "convey the functionality of the relict slate industrial cultural landscape in an exceptional manner" under criterion iv (under crit v it was not recognized).

Author elsslots
Admin
#439 | Posted: 6 Sep 2021 12:30 
jonathanfr:
Ferrara: Rice cultivation: Po Delta
Thingvellir: Columnar Jointing

Do we have references to sources for this (preferably from official WH documentation)? Unfortunately the documents section of the UNESCO website seems to be down at the moment, so I can't check

Author TaiTT
Partaker
#440 | Posted: 6 Sep 2021 12:35 
The European cemeteries route connection only has 2 sites, was this a mistake?

Author elsslots
Admin
#441 | Posted: 6 Sep 2021 12:48 
TaiTT:
was this a mistake?

I am still adding them, have gotten to 3. Unsure whether there are more, I think the Roman cemetery is outside of the core zone

Author TaiTT
Partaker
#442 | Posted: 6 Sep 2021 12:53 
elsslots
Oh sorry for bothering you

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#443 | Posted: 6 Sep 2021 13:42 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:
Euloroo:
I think it has been recognized "convey the functionality of the relict slate industrial cultural landscape in an exceptional manner" under criterion iv (under crit v it was not recognized).

As I remember it, the way we determined whether a WHS was "officially" recognised as a CL was by searching for "Cultural Landscape" in the advanced search on the UNESCO Website - if that is done then the Web site returns 119 properties including the "Slate Landscape of NW Wales" ....but NOT Chankillo. So the former, but not the latter is "officially recogised" in my book!

Whether a site was proposed/described as a CL was always less clear - we considered it so if the Nomination file or the AB evaluation referred to it as such. On occasions in the early days of "Cultural Landscapes" (which were only accepted as a valid type of site c 1992) the phrase was used somewhat vaguely and inaccurately by nominating States Parties. For that reason and because there has always been the possibility that the AB evaluation might have refused a relevant Criterion or made some clear statement that the site was NOT being inscribed as a CL we had to make sure that this hadn't happened. Finally it was also possible that the WHC didn't go along with the AB evaluation and included a Criterion which the AB had declined...... in which case the only way of knowing was to look at the "Decision details"!

It has never been clear whether the non appearance of a WHS in the list returned by the search was due to an error in setting the flag on the UNESCO Web site or some genuine belief by UNESCO that the site is NOT a CL (or a mixture of the 2)!

Author Euloroo
Partaker
#444 | Posted: 7 Sep 2021 09:50 
Yep, strange why the advance search has 5 more properties than the official page http://whc.unesco.org/en/culturallandscape/. There are a few genuine CLs inscribed before 92. A few years ago I wrote to Kakadu NP and asked if they were thinking of getting it included on the CL list but they indicated it wasn't worth the paperwork.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#445 | Posted: 11 Sep 2021 18:39 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Fusion

Church of Atlántida - The church is inspired by Italian paleo-Christian and medieval religious architecture, while also applying modern scientific and technological knowledge. It embodies the post-war search for a renewed architectural language, expressing a modernity rooted in tradition and in the vernacular in Latin America and worldwide. (Unesco website)

Connection: Domes

Church of Atlántida - The baptistery is an underground construction covered by a spherical dome of reinforced brick. On the top of the dome a cylindrical skylight lets the natural light fall on the baptismal font. (AB Ev)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#446 | Posted: 12 Sep 2021 07:55 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Reduced from broader TWHS

Church of Atlántida - The original TWHS was a serial nomination. (AB Ev)

-----

The Church of Atlántida is part of the Single Monuments connection, but the AB Ev defines it as a "group of buildings". Should it therefore be eliminated from this connection?

Author Assif
Partaker
#447 | Posted: 12 Sep 2021 16:10 
Jurre:
The Church of Atlántida is part of the Single Monuments connection, but the AB Ev defines it as a "group of buildings". Should it therefore be eliminated from this connection?

The nomination includes the church, the interconnected baptistery and the separate bell tower. However, I would still regard the church with the adjoining tower as a single monument, both aesthetically and functionally.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#448 | Posted: 15 Sep 2021 11:24 | Edited by: jonathanfr 
A few biosphere reserves have been added today, probably connections to be added.

https://en.unesco.org/news/unesco-steps-efforts-biodiversity-conservation-designation-20-new-biosphere-reserves

- Ribeira Sacra E Serras Do Oribio E Courel Biosphere Reserve, Spain
- Uvs Lake Depression Transboundary Biosphere Reserve, Mongolia – Russian Federation

Author Jurre
Partaker
#449 | Posted: 16 Sep 2021 19:15 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Smallest cultural WHS

Church of Atlántida - A constructed area of ​​500 m2 (0,05 ha) (Nominaton text, p. 13)

Author Zoe
Partaker
#450 | Posted: 18 Sep 2021 02:30 
The beer connection made me think of cigarette labels depicting WHS:

Bingmayong (Terracotta Warriors)
Camel (Pyramids, sort of)
Dan Xia Shan
Everest
Taj Mahal
Tallinn
West Lake
Zhang Jia Jie

Also I read Nan petition for St. Pauli as new WHS so we should keep that in mind ;)

These are from this website: http://cigarety.by/

Page  Page 30 of 31:  « Previous  1  ...  28  29  30  31  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Connection suggestion

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑