World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Connection suggestion

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#31 | Posted: 5 Jul 2019 15:09 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Have been playing "Find the Lynx"!
I suspect that most Natural/Mixed sites in mainland temperate Eurasia and North America will have them.
In Eurasia - So far - 4 out of 6 - only Daurian "failed". Pirin used to have Lynx
Uvs Nuur
Primeval Beech
Norwegian Fjords
Dormitor

In N America I took the N/S extremes - all have Lynx/Bobcat
Wood Buffalo
Everglades
El Pinacate

Author elsslots
Admin
#32 | Posted: 6 Jul 2019 00:55 
Solivagant:
In N America I took the N/S extremes - all have Lynx/Bobcat
Wood Buffalo
Everglades
El Pinacate

I think it's too common there indeed. I'll remove the connection

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#33 | Posted: 6 Jul 2019 02:35 
Confucian Academy (Shuyuan, Seowon, Shijuku)

1. Lushan National Park - Bailudong-shuyuan (White Deer Cave Academy) (China)
2. Historic Monuments of Dengfeng in "The Centre of Heaven and Earth" - Songyang-shuyuan (Songyang Academy of Classical Learning) (China)
3. Historic Monuments and Sites in Kaesong - Sungyangseowon (Democratic People's Republic of Korea)
4. Historic Villages of Korea: Hahoe and Yangdong (Byeongsan-seowon and Oksan-seowon) (Republic of Korea)
5. Sites of Japan's Meiji Industrial Revolution: Iron and Steel, Shipbuilding and Coal Mining - Shokasonjuku (Hagi Proto-industrial Heritage/ Shokasonjuku Academy) (Japan)
6. Seowon, Korean Neo-Confucian Academies (Sosuseowon, Namgye-seowon, Oksan-seowon, Dosanseowon, Piram-seowon, Dodong-seowon, Byeongsanseowon, Museong-seowon and Donam-seowon) (Republic of Korea)

Author elsslots
Admin
#34 | Posted: 6 Jul 2019 06:18 
winterkjm:

1. Lushan National Park - Bailudong-shuyuan (White Deer Cave Academy) (China)
2. Historic Monuments of Dengfeng in "The Centre of Heaven and Earth" - Songyang-shuyuan (Songyang Academy of Classical Learning) (China)
3. Historic Monuments and Sites in Kaesong - Sungyangseowon (Democratic People's Republic of Korea)
4. Historic Villages of Korea: Hahoe and Yangdong (Byeongsan-seowon and Oksan-seowon) (Republic of Korea)
5. Sites of Japan's Meiji Industrial Revolution: Iron and Steel, Shipbuilding and Coal Mining - Shokasonjuku (Hagi Proto-industrial Heritage/ Shokasonjuku Academy) (Japan)
6. Seowon, Korean Neo-Confucian Academies (Sosuseowon, Namgye-seowon, Oksan-seowon, Dosanseowon, Piram-seowon, Dodong-seowon, Byeongsanseowon, Museong-seowon and Donam-seowon) (Republic of Korea)

Nice one! We already have Confucianism, but this is so much more specific.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#35 | Posted: 6 Jul 2019 08:48 | Edited by: winterkjm 
elsslots:
Nice one! We already have Confucianism, but this is so much more specific.

This was an easy connection, because the Comparative Analysis included in the AB Evaluation identified each property. I was unaware, that this many Confucian Academies were already inscribed.

Author Durian
Partaker
#36 | Posted: 8 Jul 2019 04:09 
winterkjm:

Dear Els,

For this connection, we need to make it clear that the connection is only for private Confucian academy. The unique of Shuyuan, Seowan and Shijuku are the private establishments and not part of state or imperial Confucian academy. But if you want to expand to include both private and state/imperial Confucian academies, few sites can be added for example, Hue - Temple of Letter and Imperial Academy, the two Confucian educational institutions during Vietnamese imperial time and Pingyao - Confucius Temple, old buildings behind the main temple hall were the lecture hall of city Confucian school during Ming and Qing.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#37 | Posted: 8 Jul 2019 20:43 
Good point Durian! I did mean to write some criteria for this connection, but it slipped my mind.

Author clyde
Partaker
#38 | Posted: 13 Jul 2019 03:36 
When visiting Lima last month I noticed a plaque of what is known as La Ruta Europea del Modernismo with the following WHS named as part of it: Lima, Paris, Tarragona, Nancy, Palermo, Turin, La Chaux-de-Fonds, Budapest, Astorga, Brussels, Havana, Valparaiso, Mexico City and Cartagena

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#39 | Posted: 13 Jul 2019 03:51 | Edited by: Solivagant 
clyde:
La Ruta Europea del Modernismo

Strange it should contain so many non-European places!!!
It turns out that the Route is about Art Nouveau rather than simply "Modernism". The English/French on its web site is translated as "Art Nouveau" whereas the Catalan/Castillian use "Modernismo" or variant.
Here is a list of all the Cities currently members of the initiative

Quite a lot of the places are included in our existing "Art Nouveau" Connection.
Others would be excluded because the WHS is specifically limited to certain buildings or areas and would exclude any Art Nouveau/Moderismo elements which might be present in the wider area - e.g Tarraco (Roman remains only), Nancy (18th C only), Turin (specific "Residences" only), Palermo (Arab-Norman only), Havana ("Old Havana and its fortifications" only), Astorga (Camino related only?).
The question is whether the list of locations on the Route identifies any Art Nouveau structures within the respective WHS which we have missed? And, if so, which areas/structures? So - Valparaiso and Mexico City. The "Cartagena" which is a member of the route is the Spanish one not the Colombian and doesn't have any inscribed areas (yet??)
a, VALPARAISO
The art nouveau "gem" in this city is the Palacio Barburizza - this building (now the Museum of Fine Arts) is situated within the Core inscribed area and would seem to justify adding Valparaiso to the Art Nouveau Connection
b. MEXICO CITY
This Wiki list shows 8 Art Nouveau structures - I haven't checked the location of all of them but enough ARE in the central area to justify the Connection for this city also?

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Connection suggestion

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑