World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Connection suggestion

Page  Page 29 of 31:  « Previous  1  ...  28  29  30  31  Next »

Author elsslots
Admin
#421 | Posted: 1 Sep 2021 11:29 
Zoe:
In Canada we still use that map of Europe in school by the way j/k

I hope the young Canadians know that Yugoslavia has since split up!

Author Zoe
Partaker
#422 | Posted: 1 Sep 2021 12:42 
We care a lot more about the Soviet split because they would always beat us for hockey gold ;)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#423 | Posted: 1 Sep 2021 19:01 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Extended from original TWHS

Amami-Oshima Island - The 2019 nomination includes a merge and combination of 24 small and scattered component parts into five larger component parts, as well as the integration of a part of the Northern Training Area, a military area returned to Japan from the USA, into the Okinawa Island component part. (Ab Ev)

Connection: Feral Animals

Amami-Oshima Island - The management of the nominated property is contending with many invasive alien species as well as feral cats and several measures have been put in place to address the issue. (Ab Ev)

Author elsslots
Admin
#424 | Posted: 2 Sep 2021 12:00 | Edited by: elsslots 

I have added it. I looked in vain for the Sydney Opera House - but that was finished only 2 years after they published the puzzle of Sydney Harbour

Author elsslots
Admin
#425 | Posted: 2 Sep 2021 12:11 | Edited by: elsslots 
Assif:
Wouldn't any cultural site prior to the Neolithic Revolution fit in? This would include the majority of the prehistoric sites. I would suggest limiting the connection to cultural sites following the invention of agriculture. This would make the connection more interesting. Otherwise, there would be plenty of sites to be added.

Yes, let's think of a way out of it. Limiting it to a later period seems good.

Author Zoe
Partaker
#426 | Posted: 2 Sep 2021 15:12 
elsslots:
I have added it.

Great! Some you missed and one more I noticed only on the linked page
https://mats-lenkdrache.hpage.com/world-wide-serie.html

Moscow - Kremlin
Paris - also shows Basilica Sacre Coeur in Montmartre
Venice - also shows Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute
London - Palace of Westminster (most connections ever?)
Salzburg - Mirabellgarten (last one on that page)

And of course Vancouver....one day? Also reminds me that I've never visited the Dutch Cheese Market - me and my non-dairy diet can at least sniff at them :p

Author elsslots
Admin
#427 | Posted: 3 Sep 2021 12:30 
Zoe:
Great! Some you missed and one more I noticed only on the linked page
https://mats-lenkdrache.hpage.com/world-wide-serie.html

Moscow - Kremlin
Paris - also shows Basilica Sacre Coeur in Montmartre
Venice - also shows Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute
London - Palace of Westminster (most connections ever?)
Salzburg - Mirabellgarten (last one on that page)

Have added them, except the Sacre Coeur which is outside of the core zone of the Paris WHS

Author Astraftis
Partaker
#428 | Posted: 3 Sep 2021 13:03 
Possible addition to WHS on other lists: the European cemeteries route! Unfortunately I found no map, so maybe some work has to be done, but already those listed for Rome, Ferrara, Bologna and Zadar might be inside WHS core zones!

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#429 | Posted: 3 Sep 2021 15:06 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Astraftis:
the European cemeteries route! Unfortunately I found no map,

The map is here but it contains numerous errors and appears to be very much "WIP". It reminds me of our own maps in the early days - I particularly like the "cemetery" which has been located in the sea off the Bight of Benin - where we too found that sites with incorrect coordinates sometimes finished up!!

Whilst trying to discover more about the "European Cemeteries Route", I came across something titled "The Cultural Routes of the Council of Europe" - of which there are (currently?) 39 - including the Cemeteries Route. We have already "connected" another of them ("European Route of Industrial Heritage") and have a connection for the "Via Francigena" - though not as a "route". No doubt some of the others would contain at least 3 WHS - and, even if they don't, they contain some interesting lists of places/sights (Though some "members" are not places but organisations and institutions).

The scheme is described thus by Wiki
"a certification awarded by the Council of Europe to networks promoting the European shared culture, history and memory. These routes must also match some fundamental values promoted by the Council of Europe such as democracy, human rights and intercultural exchanges in the framework of cultural tourism. A Cultural Route of the Council of Europe is not necessarily a physical path to be walked through and can be made up of cultural stakeholders such as museums, municipalities or local governments clustered into one umbrella association. Being awarded the title Cultural Route of the Council of Europe opens the way to a larger visibility, network of cultural stakeholders or even funding. The programme was launched by the Council of Europe and not the European Union, even though it contributes to it. As a result, the programme goes beyond the borders of the EU, and even Europe in general - as some Routes go as far as North Africa or the Middle East"

Here is its Web site
And this is the list of 39
The Santiago De Compostela Pilgrim Routes (1987)
The Hansa (1991)
The Viking Routes (1993)
The Via Francigena (1994)
The Routes of El legado andalusí (1997)
European Mozart Ways (2002)
The Phoenicians' Route (2003)
The Pyrenean Iron Route (2004)
The Saint Martin of Tours Route (2005)
The Cluniac Sites in Europe (2005)
The Routes of the Olive Tree (2005)
The Via Regia (2005)
TRANSROMANICA (2007)
The Iter Vitis Route (2009)
The European Route of Cistercian abbeys (2010)
The European Cemeteries Route (2010)
Prehistoric Rock Art Trails (2010)
European Route of Historic Thermal Towns (2010)
The Route of Saint Olav Ways (2010)
The European Route of Jewish Heritage (2004)
The Casadean Sites (2012)
The European Route of Ceramics (2012)
The European Route of Megalithic Culture (2013)
The Huguenot and Waldensian trail (2013)
ATRIUM - Architecture of Totalitarian Regimes of the 20th Century in Europe's Urban Memory (2014)
The Réseau Art Nouveau Network (2014)
Via Habsburg (2014)
The Roman Emperors and Danube Wine Route (2015)
In the Footsteps of Robert Louis Stevenson (2015)
Destination Napoleon (2015)
The European routes of emperor Charles V (2015)
Route of the fortified towns of the Greater Region (2016)
Impressionisms Route (2018)
Via Charlemagne (2018)
Liberation Route Europe (2019)
European Route of Industrial Heritage (2019)
Le Corbusier Destinations: Architectural Promenades (2019)
Iron Curtain Trail (2019)
Routes of Reformation (2019)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#430 | Posted: 3 Sep 2021 18:29 | Edited by: Jurre 
I think the On National Border connection for Ohrid Region should be eliminated, since it's a transboundary site since 2019.

The Transboundary sites connection should be added to Ohrid Region.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#431 | Posted: 3 Sep 2021 20:43 | Edited by: jonathanfr 
Ferrara: Rice cultivation: Po Delta
Thingvellir: Columnar Jointing

Author Jurre
Partaker
#432 | Posted: 3 Sep 2021 21:04 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Experimental Archaeology

Arslantepe Mound - An experimental 1:1 replica of an Arslantepe Early Bronze Age mud-brick house, has (...) been built in 2010 in the entrance area. The original aim of reconstructing this house was to investigate, and at the same time, exhibit the old mud-brick architecture techniques, and show to local modern inhabitants how their traditional houses have not changed for millennia. This should further help bridge the past with the present as well as being a very effective educational tool for the preservation of traditional cultural heritage. (Nomination text, p. 106)

Connection: Name changes

As-Salt - From "The Old City of As-Salt" over "As-Salt Eclectic Architecture (1865-1925), Origins and Evolution of an Architectural Language in the Levant" to the current name. (AB Ev)

Author Assif
Partaker
#433 | Posted: 4 Sep 2021 02:52 
Hunter-gatherers: ǂKhomani - The ǂKhomani Cultural Landscape is uniquely expressive of the hunting and gathering way of life practised by the ancestors of all modern human beings; so are the simple, yet highly sophisticated technologies which they used to exploit scarce resources such as water, find plant foods in an extremely hostile environment, and deal with natural phenomena such as drought and predators. (official description)

Hunter-gatherers: Kakadu -The cave paintings, rock carvings and archaeological sites record the skills and way of life of the region's inhabitants, from the hunter-gatherers of prehistoric times to the Aboriginal people still living there. (official description)

Author Astraftis
Partaker
#434 | Posted: 4 Sep 2021 07:12 
Solivagant
Look at how many connections! Wonderful! I only knew the industrial one, which seems one of the bigger and more developed ones. Cemeteries are somewhat underspecified.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#435 | Posted: 4 Sep 2021 12:38 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Located in a Former Capital

As-Salt - As-Salt was the capital of Transjordan before this was moved to Amman. (AB Ev)

Connection: Female Archaeologists

Chankillo Archaeoastronomical Complex - Rosa Fung - Archaeologist Rosa Fung excavated in Chankillo during the 1960s, with the collaboration of architect-conservator Víctor Pimentel. (AB Ev)

Page  Page 29 of 31:  « Previous  1  ...  28  29  30  31  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Connection suggestion

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑