World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Connection suggestion

Page  Page 20 of 30:  « Previous  1  ...  19  20  21  ...  29  30  Next »

Author Liam
Partaker
#286 | Posted: 10 Jun 2021 14:27 
mrayers:
20 March 2034
Sukur
Rock Art in the Hail Region: Jabal al-Manjor and Jabal Raat

I would suggest 2034 group meet up in Jeddah... but I believe this date coincides with Hajj and so SA is likely to be exceptionally busy!

Author Jurre
Partaker
#287 | Posted: 10 Jun 2021 19:08 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Archaeological potential

Al Qal'a of Beni Hammad - The gardens have not yet been explored by archeologists, although ornamental fountains have been discovered. (Wikipedia)

Connection: Almohads

Al Qal'a of Beni Hammad - Al Qal'a of Beni Hammad was partly destroyed by the Almohads in 1152. (Wikipedia)

Connection: Notable minarets

Al Qal'a of Beni Hammad - The minaret of the Al'Qal'Qh, 25 meters high, is the prototype of the three-tiered minaret composition which may be seen, notably at the Giralda of Sevilla. It is the oldest in Algeria after that of Sidi Boumerouane. (Unesco & AB Ev)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#288 | Posted: 11 Jun 2021 17:47 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Macellum

Djémila - The AB Ev mentions a Macellum. (AB Ev)

Connection: Ancient Roman colonies

Djémila - The city was initially populated by a colony of Roman soldiers from Italy, and eventually grew to become a large trading market. (Wiki)

Connection: Early Christianity

Djémila - In the southern quarter, Christianity was implanted at an early date (the bishop Pudentianus of Cuicul is noted from 255). (AB Ev) The site has also been marked by Christianity in the form of several cult buildings: a cathedral, a church and its baptistry are considered among the biggest of the Paleochristian period. (Unesco)

Connection: Baths

Djémila - Vestiges of monuments that have marked the expansion of the city to the south are also included. They comprise private dwellings and public buildings such as the Arch of Caracalla, a theatre, baths, basilicas and other cult buildings. (Unesco)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#289 | Posted: 12 Jun 2021 20:37 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Vernacular architecture

Kasbah of Algiers - The Algiers Kasbah preserves very interesting traditional Arab-Mediterranean houses in which the ancestral Arab lifestyle and Moslim customs have blended with other architectural traditions. (AB Ev)

Connection: Sieges and Battles

Kasbah of Algiers - The Casbah played a central role during the Algerian War of Independence (1954–1962). During the early years of the war, the Casbah was the epicenter of the insurgency planning of the National Liberation Front (FLN). In order to counter their efforts, the French authorities launched operations in the Casbah during the Battle of Algiers. (Wiki)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#290 | Posted: 14 Jun 2021 05:16 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Berbers

Kasbah of Algiers - The current urban setting was designed in the tenth century by the Berbers during the Zirid dynasty. It was then enriched by contributions from other Berber dynasties which successively dominated the central Maghreb. (French wiki)

Le cadre urbain actuel est conçu au Xe siècle par les Berbères sous la dynastie des Zirides, il est ensuite enrichi par les apports des autres dynasties berbères qui dominent successivement le Maghreb central.

Connection: Charles V

Kasbah of Algiers - The 1541 Algiers expedition occurred when Charles V of the Holy Roman Empire attempted to lead an amphibious attack against the Ottoman Empire's stronghold of Algiers. Inadequate planning, particularly against unfavourable weather, led to the failure of the expedition. (Wiki)

Connection: Aqueduct

Kasbah of Algiers - The water which supplies the old medina (...) was conveyed by a network of aqueducts dating from the time of the regency of Algiers, which is still in place; it is now replaced by a more modern distribution network, dating from the beginning of the 20th century. (French wiki)

L'eau qui alimente l'ancienne médina (...) était acheminée par un réseau d'aqueducs datant de l'époque de la régence d'Alger, lequel est toujours en place ; il est désormais remplacé par un réseau de distribution plus moderne, datant du début du XXe siècle10.

Connection: Sea Ports

Kasbah of Algiers - On the Mediterranean Sea.

Connection: Slavery

Kasbah of Algiers - Slavery was practiced, especially for domestic work. There was also a significant presence of European captives. These captives (...) experienced a miserable life when they were employed in the galleys. (French wiki) After Charles V's defeat at the Algiers expedition (1541), so many of Charles' troops were taken captive that there was a glut of slaves on the market in Algiers, so that 1541 was said to be the year when Christians were sold for the price of an onion per head. (Wiki)

L'esclavage est (...) pratiqué, surtout pour les travaux domestiques et il faut également noter une présence non négligeable de captifs européens. Ces captifs (...) connaissent une vie plus misérable quand ils sont employés dans les galères

Connection: Spolia

Kasbah of Algiers - Some capitals of columns in the Kasbah were recovered from the Roman ruins of the Icosium site. (French wiki)

Enfin les chapiteaux, dont certains sont récupérés des ruines romaines du site d'Icosium, servent à orner la partie supérieure des colonnes.

Connection: Glazed tiles

Kasbah of Algiers - The Mustapha Pasha Palace contains half a million old faience tiles originating from Algeria, Tunisia, but also from Spain and Italy. Ceramic tiles with floral and geometric designs were also used as decorations in the houses (in the patios and around windows). (French wiki)

Le Palais Mustapha Pacha est édifié en 1798. Une particularité de ce palais est qu'il contient un demi-million de carreaux de faïence ancienne originaires d'Algérie, de Tunisie mais aussi d'Espagne et d'Italie.

Connection: Domes

Kasbah of Algiers - Several of the mosques in the Kasbah, like the Djamaa el Djedid and the Ketchaoua Mosque, have domes.

Connection: Notable minarets

Kasbah of Algiers - The minaret of the Djamaa el Djedid mosque is 25 metres high and has a a clock integrated in it. The clock was integrated into the minaret by the French architect Bournichon and was originally part of the Jenina Palace. (Wiki)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#291 | Posted: 15 Jun 2021 05:53 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Mausolea

Kasbah of Algiers - The Kasbah has several mausolea, e.g those for Sidi Hlal, Sidi Boudgour and Sidi Aberrahmene. Sidi Abderrahmane is considered the patron saint of Algiers and his mausoleum is richly adorned with calligraphy verses from the Koran on the walls. His mausoleum is one of the most well-known and most visited of Algiers. (French Wiki)

Connection: Queen Victoria

Kasbah of Algiers - Queen Victoria visited the mausoleum of Sidi Abderrahmane. The cristal chandeliers that adorn the tomb room were offered by her as a present. (French wiki)

Connection: Baths

Kasbah of Algiers - The Kasbah counts various still functional hammams. (French Wiki)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#292 | Posted: 16 Jun 2021 18:22 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Octagons

Kasbah of Algiers - On the rock of the Peñon Island there is an octagonal building from the 16th century with a lighthouse on top. (French Wiki)

L'amirauté d'Alger, la rade et les différents borj qui la composent. À l'arrière-plan le bâtiment octogonal du rocher du Peñon (datant du XVIe siècle) surmonté de la tour du phare.

Connection: Almohads

Kasbah of Algiers - In 1151, Abd al-Mu'min, the first Caliph of the Almohad Empire, defeated the Almoravids to conquer Algiers. (French Wiki)

En 1151, Abd al-Mumin, un berbère Zénète de Nedroma, reprend Alger aux Almoravides, il devient calife des Almohades, de tout le Maghreb et de l'Andalousie.

Connection: Built or owned by Spanish

Kasbah of Algiers - Because of the piracy activity that developed in Algiers, Ferdinand of Aragon, on the heels of the Reconquista, pushed to take and fortify the islet in front of Algiers (the Peñon) to neutralize the city. The Barbarossa brothers drove the Spaniards out of the islet for good in 1529. (French Wiki)

Cependant l'activité de piraterie qui s'y développe pousse Ferdinand d'Aragon, sur la lancée de la Reconquista, à prendre et fortifier l'îlot en face d'Alger (le Peñon) pour neutraliser la ville. (...) Les frères Barberousse chassent définitivement les Espagnols de l'îlot du Peñon en 1529.[i][/i]

Author Jurre
Partaker
#293 | Posted: 17 Jun 2021 18:35 
Connection: Hypostyle

Kasbah of Algiers - The prayer room of the Great Mosque of Algiers (Djamaa el Kebir), without a central dome, is a hypostyle; the pillars are connected by large arches. (French Wiki)

La salle de prière, sans coupole centrale, est hypostyle; les piliers sont reliés par de grands arcs.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#294 | Posted: 24 Jun 2021 20:09 
Connection: Europa Nostra 7 Most Endangered

Medieval Monuments in Kosovo - Dečani Monastery (2021) (7mostendangered.eu)

Mafra Palace, Convent and Royal Hunting Park - Carillons of the Mafra National Palace (2014) (7mostendangered.eu)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#295 | Posted: 25 Jun 2021 12:20 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Destroyed or damaged by Earthquake

Kasbah of Algiers - According to a 1721 document, the palace building of Dar Aziza in the lower Kasbah had three floors before losing one in the 1716 earthquake. (Wiki) The 1716 earthquake caused extreme damage with as many as 20.000 deaths.

Author Astraftis
Partaker
#296 | Posted: 25 Jun 2021 17:22 | Edited by: Astraftis 
Idea for a new connection of mostl archaeological character: what had been on the site for a long time has been displaced or destroyed to make the underlying structures visible (I am trying to think of something more concise).

I tried to search for keywords (displaced, moved, destroyed, origin*, excav*), but could not find it. Some examples:

Delphi: the whole village was displaced where it is now so as to set free the ruins and their partial reconstructions.
Center of Rome: The fori imperiali have been excavated after the neighbourhood that had stood there for centuries (the quartiere alessandrino) has been razed during fascist times. Only the configuration of the streets keeps a memory of this former part of the city.
Arles's Roman theater: I am not totally sure about this one, but I think it was this theater that was ridden of Medieval buildings in order to be appreciated again in its "pristine" form. -Update: OK, I got confused since this particular Roman theater is not a WHS, but I am pretty sure it happened for other(s).

There are surely many others. I think it is a kind of controversial practice, and I am not sure it would be accepted today with the same eagerness as in the times it happened.

And now for something far less serious, and here I need some help... the connection would be: strange hanging things.

I thought of this in Verona, where from the passage between the two main squares, piazza delle Erbe and piazza della Signoria, you can see a big whale (or dinosaur?) bone hanging from the arch. Then I remembered a similar bone/tusk in St. Maria im Kapitol in Cologne (interestingly explained as "Mary's ribs"), but they're not actually in a WHS (only the dome is). And again, I liked a lot the hanging crocodile (or dragon) in the town hall of Brno, but that too is not in a WHS (only villa Tugendhat is).
But there surely are other places like these ones... people love hanging weird things.

Author JobStopar
Partaker
#297 | Posted: 26 Jun 2021 17:46 
Interesting connections! From my visit to the Ħal Saflieni Hypogeum last week
I can remeber that the houses above it had to be destroyed to make way for the visitor centre and the complex air coinditioning system.

Author Astraftis
Partaker
#298 | Posted: 27 Jun 2021 10:22 | Edited by: Astraftis 
JobStopar:
Interesting connections! From my visit to the Ħal Saflieni Hypogeum last week
I can remeber that the houses above it had to be destroyed to make way for the visitor centre and the complex air coinditioning system.

OK, so we have at least these starting three for Reborn from the ashes (previous buildings and settlements have been destroyed to set again free the site):

- Delphi: the whole village Kastrì (Καστρί) which developed over the ancient sacred site in the Middle Ages was razed and displaced some hundred meters westward at the end of the XIXth c. (and renamed Δελφοί)
- Rome: a whole neighbourhood in the city center (quartiere alessandrino) was demolished to excavate the imperial fora in 1924-1932 to set them free, open a new road (today's via dei Fori imperiali) and put gardens (no more existing)
- Ħal Saflieni Hypogeum: houses above it were destroyed around 1908 after its discovery to allow it to be accessed and build a museum, and renovation works for conservation again took place in later decades.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#299 | Posted: 27 Jun 2021 19:38 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Terrorist Attacks

Kasbah of Algiers - An islamic terrorist bomb attack was perpetrated on the Place des Martyrs in Algiers on June 1, 1997. The final toll was 7 dead and 54 wounded. (French Wiki)

Connection: Prison

Kasbah of Algiers - The Serkadji Prison was constructed during the period of French rule, on the site of a former Turkish fortification, in the upper part of the Casbah. During the Algerian War of 1954-62 several hundred FLN activists and fighters were imprisoned there and 58 were executed by guillotine in the main courtyard. The prison was closed in 2014 and will be transformed in a museum of national memory. (French Wiki)

Author FredericM
Partaker
#300 | Posted: 28 Jun 2021 16:49 
Connection: Cirques

Cirque of the Unclimbables in Nahanni (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirque_of_the_Unclimbables)

Cirque Peak in Banff (Canadian Rocky Mountains) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirque_Peak_(Alberta))

Page  Page 20 of 30:  « Previous  1  ...  19  20  21  ...  29  30  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Connection suggestion

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑