World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Connection suggestion

Page  Page 18 of 19:  « Previous  1  ...  16  17  18  19  Next »

Author Jurre
Partaker
#256 | Posted: 18 Jan 2021 17:36 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Aqueduct

Berat and Gjirokastra - The citadel of Gjirokastra had underground reservoirs to store water provided by an aqueduct, which was some 10km long, one of the longest of the period. (AB Ev)

Connection: Prison

Berat and Gjirokastra - The prison of the Gjirokastër Fortress was used extensively by King Zog's government and housed political prisoners during the Communist regime. (Wikipedia)

Connection: Festivals

Berat and Gjirokastra - The Gjirokastër National Folklore Festival is an artistic festival taking place every five years at Gjirokastër Castle in Gjirokastër. The festival was first held in 1968 and is regarded as the most important event in Albanian culture. The festival showcases Albanian traditional music, dress and dance from Albania, the diaspora, and Albanian inhabited lands throughout the Balkans and Southern Italy. (Wikipedia)

Connection: Famous suicides

Berat and Gjirokastra - According to legend, during the final siege of the city by the Turks, Princess Argjiro, the sister of the lord of the city jumped from the walls of the castle with her son to avoid falling alive into the hands of the enemy. Hence the name "the castle of Argjiro". (Wikipedia)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#257 | Posted: 22 Jan 2021 19:12 
Connection: Archaeological potential

Berat and Gjirokastra - The subsoil still bears previous traces of the various Balkan civilisations yet to be uncovered by archaeologists. (AB Ev)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#258 | Posted: 23 Jan 2021 19:40 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Ottoman Empire

Butrint - In 1799, the local Ottoman governor Ali Pasha Tepelena conquered Butrint, and it became a part of the Ottoman Empire until Albania gained its independence in 1912. (Wikipedia)

Connection: Bronze Age

Butrint - There are several Bronze Age (2000-500BC) sites in the nominated area, including those at Kalivo, the acropolis of Butrint, and Shën Dimitri. (AB Ev)

Connection: Ancient Roman colonies

Butrint - After the arrival of the Romans in 44BC, Butrint became a Roman colony in the province of Illyria and expanded considerably, on reclaimed marshland. It was equipped with the usual appurtenances of a Roman city. (AB Ev)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#259 | Posted: 24 Jan 2021 19:08 
Jurre:
Connection: Ottoman Empire

Butrint - In 1799, the local Ottoman governor Ali Pasha Tepelena conquered Butrint, and it became a part of the Ottoman Empire until Albania gained its independence in 1912. (Wikipedia)

Scrap this one. Butrint doesn't have visible remains from the Ottoman Empire.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#260 | Posted: 25 Jan 2021 20:08 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Vernacular architecture

Ohrid Region - The region's culture reflects outstanding religious architecture from the 7th to 19th centuries, urban structures and vernacular architecture from the 18th and 19th centuries, all in Ohrid, and a concentration of archaeological remains some within Ohrid and others along the coast. (AB Ev)

Connection: Name changes

Ohrid Region - From "Ohrid Region with its Cultural and Historical Aspect and its Natural Environment" to "Natural and Cultural Heritage of the Ohrid Region"

Connection: Phoenician world

Ohrid Region - According to a tradition, the town of Ohrid (then called Lychnidos) was founded by the Phoenician king of Thebes, Cadmus who, banished from Thebes, fled to the Enchele to the north. (Wikipedia)

Connection: Built in the 4th century BC

Ohrid Region - Excavations conclude that Samuil's Fortress was built on the place of an earlier fortification, dated to 4th century BC. (Wikipedia)

Connection: Sieges and Battles

Ohrid Region - On 14–15 September 1464, 12,000 troops of the League of Lezhë and 1,000 of the Republic of Venice defeated a 14,000-man Ottoman force near the city in the Battle of Ohrid, which ended in an Albanian victory over the Ottomans. (Wikipedia)

Connection: Places of Execution

Ohrid Region - During Roman times, the ancient theatre of Ohrid was also a site of executions of Christians by the Romans. Consequently, it rapidly turned to a highly disliked site by the locals. In fact, as a result of this dislike, the theater was abandoned and buried by the locals after the demise of the Roman Empire. (Wikipedia)

---

Addition to rationale of an already existing connection:

Connection: Located in a Former Capital

Ohrid Region - Ohrid, then named Lychnidos, was the capital city of the Illyrian Dassaretii. (Wikipedia)

---

Ohrid Region should also be removed from the connection Potential Transboundary sites, as it is a transboundary site now.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#261 | Posted: 27 Jan 2021 14:14 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: St Paul was here

Ohrid Region - St. Paul the Apostle preached Christianity in Lychnidos (present-day Ohrid) in the 1st century A.D. (Wikipedia)

Connection: Buried treasures

Ohrid Region - On 10 October 2007, a deposit of approximately 2,383 Venetian coins was discovered by archaeologists while excavating the monastery at Plaošnik. A prominent archaeologist of the Republic of Macedonia, Pasko Kuzman, stated that the coins are of special significance because they indicate that Ohrid and Venice were commercially linked. (Wikipedia)

Connection: Religious Relics

Ohrid Region - Saint Clement's relics can be found in the Church of Saints Clement and Panteleimon in Ohrid. (Wikipedia)

Connection: Cathedrals

Ohrid Region - The Church of Saint Sophia was basically rebuilt in the last decade of the 10th century as a patriarchal cathedral in the form of a dome basilica. It later became a seat of the Archbishopric of Ohrid, under the Patriarchate of Constantinople until the 18th century. (Wikipedia)

Connection: Treaties

Ohrid Region - The Ohrid Framework Agreement was the peace deal signed by the government of the Republic of Macedonia and representatives of the Albanian minority on 13 August 2001. (Wikipedia)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#262 | Posted: 30 Jan 2021 16:05 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Carrara marble

Cracow - Sarcophagus of St. Hedwig, Queen of Poland, in Wawel Cathedral (Wikipedia)

Connection: Cenotaph

Cracow - Cenotaph of king Władysław of Varna in Wawel Cathedral (Wikipedia)

Connection: Famous Bells

Cologne Cathedral - Petersglocke, or Saint Peter's bell, also called "Dicker Pitter", is the largest bell in Cologne Cathedral. With a weight of approximately 24,000 kilograms, a clapper weighing ~700 kilograms and a diameter of 322 centimetres, it is the second largest freely swinging ringable bell in the world. (Wikipedia)

Vienna - Pummerin is the name of the bell in the Stephansdom in Vienna. It is the largest bell in Austria and the third largest swinging bell in Europe at 20,130 kg. The bell bears three reliefs showing the Blessed Virgin as the Immaculate Conception, a scene from the Ottoman siege of Vienna (1683), and a scene of the conflagration in 1945. (Wikipedia)

Valletta - Perched above the Grand Harbour, the Siege Bell Memorial is a simple monument symbolising the plight of the many people who fought and died for Malta during the Second World War. It was built in 1992 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of when Malta received the George Cross for the display of bravery and valour shown during the attacks on the island from 1940-42. (Source)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#263 | Posted: 7 Feb 2021 09:29 
Els, if you have some time between the TWHS, could you see if the connections I proposed are valid and could be added?

Author elsslots
Admin
#264 | Posted: 7 Feb 2021 09:34 
Ah sorry Jurre, I overlooked them. Will have a look. Would be better to pause your endeavours for a while as I am now busy with the TWHS.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#265 | Posted: 7 Feb 2021 09:43 | Edited by: Jurre 
elsslots:
Ah sorry Jurre, I overlooked them. Will have a look. Would be better to pause your endeavours for a while as I am now busy with the TWHS.

I know. That's why I haven't proposed any more new connection possibilities.

I just wondered, as I saw you added a connection, but didn't add my proposals.

Author elsslots
Admin
#266 | Posted: 7 Feb 2021 09:52 
Yeah, I am adding "Already inscribed, still on T List" when I come across them in the TWHS project

Author elsslots
Admin
#267 | Posted: 7 Feb 2021 10:16 
Have added them all, except for these 2 in Ohrid:
Connection: Phoenician world -> this is a legend, without "proof" I would not say it was part of the mediterranean trade empire
Connection: Built in the 4th century BC -> the "Built in" should be based on the OUV, which does not necessarily mean the earliest moment in time a site existed. As this nuance is already there in the current "Built in the 9th century", I'd like to leave it with that one.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#268 | Posted: 7 Feb 2021 10:28 
elsslots:
Have added them all, except for these 2 in Ohrid:
Connection: Phoenician world -> this is a legend, without "proof" I would not say it was part of the mediterranean trade empire
Connection: Built in the 4th century BC -> the "Built in" should be based on the OUV, which does not necessarily mean the earliest moment in time a site existed. As this nuance is already there in the current "Built in the 9th century", I'd like to leave it with that one.

Thank you! And I agree about the 2 omissions.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#269 | Posted: 12 Feb 2021 08:26 
Nord-Pas de Calais Mining Basin: Incorrect UNESCO 'Number of locations'

Here:
https://www.worldheritagesite.org/list/Nord-Pas+de+Calais+Mining+Basin

Here:
https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1360/multiple=1&unique_number=1776

I noticed an anomaly: for example the number 62 "Paysage et ensemble miniers d'Auchy-les-Mines à Lens", 507 ha, in fact corresponds on the map to number 63.

The map and the list of 109 seem to agree, but one site has since disappeared from the UNESCO Website. Which ?

The following wikipedia link shows that number 63 has 507ha, so it's not number 62 like on the UNESCO Website.
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portail:Bassin_minier_du_Nord-Pas-de-Calais/Unesco/63

For more details, the following Wikipedia link is interesting:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_des_biens_du_bassin_minier_du_Nord-Pas-de-Calais_inscrits_sur_la_liste_du_patrimoine_mondial

Author Kbecq
Partaker
#270 | Posted: 13 Feb 2021 07:18 
jonathanfr

The Unesco list goes from number 9 - Cité du Rivage ancienne to number 10 - Château Dampierre, while number 10 should be Terril 189 (and Château Dampierre number 11 etc.). So I guess they forgot Terril 189.

Page  Page 18 of 19:  « Previous  1  ...  16  17  18  19  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Connection suggestion

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑