World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Connection suggestion

Page  Page 17 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  16  17  18  19  20  Next »

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#241 | Posted: 6 Jan 2021 05:18 
Vienna Viennese Coffee House Culture, 2011
https://www.worldheritagesite.org/connection/UNESCO+Intangible+Cultural+Heritage+Lists
https://ich.unesco.org/en/lists?text=&country[]=00017&multinational=3&display1=inscriptionID

It is not the Viennese coffee house that is registered but the Spanish Riding School. There is an error in the Wikipedia article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viennese_coffee_house

Author Jurre
Partaker
#242 | Posted: 6 Jan 2021 07:38 
Connection: Terrorist Attacks

Hebron/Al-Khalil Old Town - The Cave of the Patriarchs massacre was a shooting massacre carried out by American-Israeli Baruch Goldstein. Goldstein was a member of the far-right Israeli Kach movement. On 25 February 1994, during the overlapping religious holidays of both Jewish Purim and Muslim Ramadan, Goldstein opened fire on a large number of Palestinian Muslims who had gathered to pray at the Cave of the Patriarchs compound in Hebron. The attack left 29 people dead, several as young as twelve, and 125 wounded. Goldstein was overpowered, disarmed and then beaten to death by survivors. (Wikipedia)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#243 | Posted: 8 Jan 2021 18:45 | Edited by: Jurre 
Jurre:
Chartres Cathedral - On August 16, 1944, during the intervention of the American troops in Chartres, the cathedral was saved from destruction thanks to the American colonel Welborn Barton Griffith Jr., who questioned the order he was given to destroy the cathedral. The Americans believed that Chartres Cathedral was being used by the enemy. The belief was that the steeples and towers were being used as a range for artillery. Griffith, accompanied by a volunteer soldier, instead decided to go and verify whether or not the Germans were using the cathedral. Griffith could see that the cathedral was empty, so he had the cathedral bells ring as a signal for the Americans not to shoot. Upon hearing the bells, the American command rescinded the order for destruction. (Wikipedia)

I've been wondering... Would a connection "Saved from destruction" be a possible connection? I think I would have at least 3-4 from different countries.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#244 | Posted: 9 Jan 2021 10:23 
I will propose some of the sites and let you judge. I've come across them when reading for the Second World War connection, so the initial sites focus on that.

Proposed connection: Saved from destruction

Chartres Cathedral - On August 16, 1944, during the intervention of the American troops in Chartres, the cathedral was saved from destruction thanks to the American colonel Welborn Barton Griffith Jr., who questioned the order he was given to destroy the cathedral. The Americans believed that Chartres Cathedral was being used by the enemy. The belief was that the steeples and towers were being used as a range for artillery. Griffith, accompanied by a volunteer soldier, instead decided to go and verify whether or not the Germans were using the cathedral. Griffith could see that the cathedral was empty, so he had the cathedral bells ring as a signal for the Americans not to shoot. Upon hearing the bells, the American command rescinded the order for destruction. (Wikipedia)

Paris, Banks of the Seine - Despite repeated orders from Adolf Hitler that the French capital "must not fall into the enemy's hand except lying in complete debris", which was to be accomplished by bombing it and blowing up its bridges, Choltitz, as commander of the German garrison and military governor of Paris, surrendered on 25 August at the Hôtel Meurice. In his memoir Brennt Paris? ("Is Paris Burning?"), first published in 1950, Choltitz describes himself as the saviour of Paris, though some historians opine that it was more the case that he had lost control of the city and had no means to carry out Hitlers orders. (Wikipedia)

Singapore Botanic Gardens - During the Japanese occupation of Singapore from 1942 to 1945, Hidezo Tanakadate, a professor of geology from Tohoku Imperial University, learned of the possibility that the Gardens and Museum might be looted due to the occupation, and negotiated directly with general Tomoyuki Yamashita to gain control of the Singapore Botanic Gardens and the Raffles Museum. At the beginning of the occupation, he ensured that no looting occurred in the Gardens and the Museum. Both institutions continued to function as scientific institutions. (Wikipedia)

Author elsslots
Admin
#245 | Posted: 10 Jan 2021 12:05 
Jurre:
I will propose some of the sites and let you judge.

I am not wildly enthusiastic I must say. It should be limited to "Saved from destruction in WWII" anyway, but maybe we have enough WWII stories now.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#246 | Posted: 12 Jan 2021 03:32 
Dubbed as another WHS: Chiribiquete National Park: "Sistine Chapel of the Amazon"
https://latinamericanpost.com/21922-chiribiquete-from-sistine-chapel-of-the-amazon-to-a-world-heritage-site-of-unesco

Author Zoe
Partaker
#247 | Posted: 13 Jan 2021 09:03 
What would you say about a Jackie Chan connection? Would that open up pretty much any actor having a connection?
e.g.
Vanguard (2020) - Victoria Falls
Wheels on Meals (1984) - Gaudi
Bleeding Steel (2017) - Sydney Opera House

Author elsslots
Admin
#248 | Posted: 13 Jan 2021 12:52 | Edited by: elsslots 
Zoe:
What would you say about a Jackie Chan connection?

If he has been to interesting places (in his movies), I'd say Yes. Rather not if we would be connecting Paris, Prague, the Tower of London and the Statue of Liberty again.

Author Zoe
Partaker
#249 | Posted: 14 Jan 2021 00:14 | Edited by: Zoe 
Alright I'll have a look if I find any more. He has actually been to Prague lol - but that was to film Shanghai Knights as a stand-in for 19th-century London.
Shanghai Noon (2000) - Forbidden City, Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks (Mount Cautley, Banff National Park)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#250 | Posted: 14 Jan 2021 16:55 | Edited by: Jurre 

Riga - Two explosives placed at the downtown Riga shopping center Centrs detonated on 17 August 2000. The two blasts occurred in the lobby of the supermarket ten minutes apart. One person died of their injuries and 35 were wounded in the attack. (Wikipedia)

Connection: Octagons

Minaret of Jam - The circular minaret rests on an octagonal base. (Wikipedia)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#251 | Posted: 16 Jan 2021 12:50 | Edited by: Jurre 
Connection: Sieges and Battles

Bamiyan Valley - The Shahr-e Gholghola was the site of 13th century Siege of Bamyan and the massacre of the city's population by Mongol conqueror Genghis Khan, avenging the murder of his favorite grandson. This is the origin of the city's moniker "City of Woe". (Wikipedia)

Connection: Genghis Khan

Bamiyan Valley - The Shahr-e Gholghola was the site of 13th century Siege of Bamyan and the massacre of the city's population by Mongol conqueror Genghis Khan, avenging the murder of his favorite grandson. This is the origin of the city's moniker "City of Woe". The citadel of Shahr-e Zuhak in the valley was also destroyed by Genghis Khan. (Wikipedia)

Connection: Built elsewhere as a full size replica

Bamiyan Valley - In Sri Lanka, a full-scale replica of one of the Buddhas has been created which is now known as the Tsunami Honganji Viharaya at Pareliya. It is dedicated to the victims of the 2005 tsunami. (Wikipedia)

Connection: Sassanid Empire

Bamiyan Valley - The two Buddhas were built in the period between AD 544 to 595 for the 38 meter "Eastern Buddha" and between AD 591 and 644 for the larger "Western Buddha". In this period, Bamiyan was part of the Sassanid Empire. The Gandhara school of Buddhist art, of which Bamiyan Valley is an outstanding representation, drew from the Hellenistic, Roman and Sasanian art traditions. In the Kakrak Valley caves, there are fragments remaining of a sanctuary with painted decorations from the Sasanian period. (AB Ev)

---

The connection: Built in the 6th century is already mentioned for Bamiyan Valley, and references Wikipedia for the period of construction. However, Wikipedia now cites different dates of construction, based on a carbon dating study from 2015.

Bamiyan Valley - Following the destruction of the statues in 2001, carbon dating of organic internal structural components found in the rubble has determined that the two Buddhas were built circa AD 600, with narrow dates of between AD 544 to 595 for the 38 meter "Eastern Buddha", and between AD 591 and 644 for the larger "Western Buddha". (Wikipedia)

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#252 | Posted: 17 Jan 2021 11:26 
World Biosphere Reserves:

Gulf of Porto: Falasorma-Dui Sevi

Khajuraho Group of Monuments: Panna Biosphere Reserve

https://en.unesco.org/news/twenty-five-sites-join-unescos-world-network-biosphere-reserves

Author Jurre
Partaker
#253 | Posted: 17 Jan 2021 18:52 | Edited by: Jurre 

Shibam - On 15 March 2009 a blast took place when a series of tourists were posing for photographs on a hill overlooking Shibam. Four Korean tourists alongside their local Yemeni guide were killed, while three more tourists were injured. (Wikipedia)

Connection: Destroyed or damaged by Earthquake

Berat and Gjirokastra - The existing housing of Berat dates mainly from the 18th and 19th centuries. Many of the houses suffered from a serious earthquake in 1851, and their upper stories were destroyed. Before the earthquake the buildings were all built in stone. In the reconstruction, however, the upper floors were built in timber, while maintaining the surviving stone structures of the ground floor. (AB Ev)

Author elsslots
Admin
#254 | Posted: 18 Jan 2021 11:38 | Edited by: elsslots 
jonathanfr:
Gulf of Porto: Falasorma-Dui Sevi

I think this is just north of the WHS (and more inland). Do you have "proof" that part of the WHS is included?

jonathanfr:
Khajuraho Group of Monuments: Panna Biosphere Reserve

The Biosphere Reserve seems to be 25km away. I see it is mentioned in the link you provided but I find it very unlikely.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#255 | Posted: 18 Jan 2021 14:06 
elsslots:
I think this is just north of the WHS (and more inland). Do you have "proof" that part of the WHS is included?

In this link, the map with the new perimeter in red which includes the Gulf of Porto.
https://www.mab-france.org/en/new-and-publication/la-reserve-de-biosphere-de-la-vallee-du-fangu-setend-et-change-de-nom/

Page  Page 17 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  16  17  18  19  20  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Connection suggestion

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑