World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Connection suggestion

Page  Page 14 of 45:  « Previous  1  ...  13  14  15  ...  44  45  Next »

Author elsslots
Admin
#196 | Posted: 24 Dec 2020 08:59 
Jurre:
Salzburg - After Germany invaded the Soviet Union, several POW camps for prisoners from the Soviet Union and other enemy nations were organized in the city. During the Nazi occupation, a Romani camp was built in Salzburg-Maxglan. It was an work 'education' camp, which provided slave labour to local industry. It also operated as a transit camp, holding Roma before their deportation to German camps or ghettos in German-occupied territories in eastern Europe. (Wikipedia)

I don't think this is in the Salzburg core zone, is it?

Author elsslots
Admin
#197 | Posted: 24 Dec 2020 09:17 | Edited by: elsslots 
Still trying to frame the WWII connection a bit.
We also have Hitler was here - from this I'd only like to bring over Vienna (as you already did, Jurre) and Prague (Hitler went to Czech lands and from Prague Castle proclaimed the German protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia.) as these were important events in the war (instead of a casual visit by the person).

Sites (named locations) where significant events during the course of WWII took place or which are strongly related to its memory.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#198 | Posted: 24 Dec 2020 09:32 
elsslots:
I don't think this is in the Salzburg core zone, is it?

I'm not sure. It it isn't, then it's out.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#199 | Posted: 24 Dec 2020 09:38 
elsslots:
Still trying to frame the WWII connection a bit.
We also have Hitler was here - from this I'd only like to bring over Vienna (as you already did, Jurre) and Prague (Hitler went to Czech lands and from Prague Castle proclaimed the German protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia.) as these were important events in the war (instead of a casual visit by the person).

I'd put Vienna and Prague in the WW2 Connection, but I'd also keep them in the "Hitler was here" Connection, as it is correct too. It's not unusual for a WHS to figure in multiple connections for the same reason. In "Hitler was here" it focuses on him visiting/staying there. The WW2 Connection focuses more on an important event.

elsslots:
Sites (named locations) where significant events during the course of WWII took place or which are strongly related to its memory.

I think that's good description. May I add something to it?

Sites (named locations) where significant events during the course of WWII took place, that played an important role during WWII or which are strongly related to its memory.

Grimeton for instance should definitely be in the connection, but isn't completely covered by "significant event" or "memory", in my opinion.

What do you think?

Author elsslots
Admin
#200 | Posted: 24 Dec 2020 10:04 
Jurre:
What do you think?

Sure! I was also struggling with Grimeton and think it belongs. Better this way.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#201 | Posted: 24 Dec 2020 10:10 
elsslots:
Prague (Hitler went to Czech lands and from Prague Castle proclaimed the German protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia.)

I would add more to the rationale of Prague:

During the Second World War, most Jews were deported and killed by the Germans. In 1942, Prague was witness to the assassination of one of the most powerful men in Nazi Germany—Reinhard Heydrich—during Operation Anthropoid. Hitler ordered bloody reprisals. (Wikipedia)

Author elsslots
Admin
#202 | Posted: 24 Dec 2020 10:31 
Jurre:
to the assassination of one of the most powerful men in Nazi Germany—Reinhard Heydrich—during Operation Anthropoid. Hitler ordered bloody reprisals.

I had looked at that too, but the assassination took place outside Prague center

Author Colvin
Partaker
#203 | Posted: 24 Dec 2020 11:04 | Edited by: Colvin 
Great topic idea! The suggested links and the connection description for WWII look good; I think the only thing I'd suggest is adding the caveat that significant WWII battles are listed in the Battle/Sieges connection, and that wartime damage is listed under the Damaged in WWII connection.

From this side of the Atlantic, the US National Park Service has a link to park sites that help tell the story of World War II. Scanning through the list, I'd say the options are generally passive support (coastal watch stations, rest and recreation for soldiers, etc.), and I'm not sure they'd meet the threshold for sites you're looking for.

I would recommend Papahânaumokuâkea for this connection, though. The US Naval Air Station Midway at Midway Atoll played a critical role in supporting US military operations against the Japanese in the Pacific throughout World War II, and was second in importance only to Pearl Harbor for defending the West Coast of the US.

Author elsslots
Admin
#204 | Posted: 24 Dec 2020 11:09 
Colvin:
I would recommend Papahânaumokuâkea for this connection, though. The US Naval Air Station Midway at Midway Atoll

Thanks Colvin. I had already added Midway Atoll. And also have St. Petersburg.

See for the list now: https://www.worldheritagesite.org/connection/Second+World+War

Author elsslots
Admin
#205 | Posted: 24 Dec 2020 11:13 
Colvin:
From this side of the Atlantic, the US National Park Service has a link to park sites that help tell the story of World War II. Scanning through the list, I'd say the options are generally passive support (coastal watch stations, rest and recreation for soldiers, etc.), and I'm not sure they'd meet the threshold for sites you're looking for.

Maybe this one?

Author Jurre
Partaker
#206 | Posted: 24 Dec 2020 11:26 
Another one for World War II:

Bordeaux - From 1941 to 1943, the Italian Royal Navy established BETASOM, a submarine base, at Bordeaux. Italian submarines participated in the Battle of the Atlantic from that base, which was also a major base for German U-boats as headquarters of 12th U-boat Flotilla. The massive, reinforced concrete U-boat pens have proved impractical to demolish and are now partly used as a cultural center for exhibitions. (Wikipedia)

Author elsslots
Admin
#207 | Posted: 24 Dec 2020 11:34 
Jurre:
Bordeaux - From 1941 to 1943, the Italian Royal Navy established BETASOM, a submarine base, at Bordeaux. Italian submarines participated in the Battle of the Atlantic from that base, which was also a major base for German U-boats as headquarters of 12th U-boat Flotilla. The massive, reinforced concrete U-boat pens have proved impractical to demolish and are now partly used as a cultural center for exhibitions. (Wikipedia)

Nice one! I checked that it is in the core zone and it is

Author Colvin
Partaker
#208 | Posted: 24 Dec 2020 11:36 | Edited by: Colvin 
Thanks — I hadn't realized you'd already added Midway. As for the radar station at Redwood, it absolutely tells a story, similar to the coastal defense stations at Olympic. I was willing to forego them, for now, though, since I don't know how many other defensive sites like them may exist at World Heritage Sites in the European, Pacific, or North African and Middle Eastern theaters.

That said, thinking of defenses and military, I think Valletta, Malta, would make a good addition. The British military forces in Valletta were besieged and repeatedly bombed by German and Italian forces from 1940-1942. The successful withstanding of Valletta against the Axis siege kept Valletta's strategic location and harbor in Allied control, and aided the Allied military effort against Germany and Italy in North Africa.

And a link

Author elsslots
Admin
#209 | Posted: 24 Dec 2020 11:42 | Edited by: elsslots 
I'll also add Volklingen Ironworks: During the Second World War, around 70,000 forced laborers and prisoners of war worked in the mines, smelters and factories of the Saar district. At the end of the war, around 14,000 men and women from the Soviet Union, Poland, Yugoslavia, France, Belgium and Luxembourg were employed under the most difficult conditions in the Völklingen ironworks. (wiki de)

Forced labour during WWII has its own connection already, but this is the most compelling example I think.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#210 | Posted: 24 Dec 2020 11:49 
elsslots:
Nice one! I checked that it is in the core zone and it is

Yes, I had already checked as well.

Page  Page 14 of 45:  « Previous  1  ...  13  14  15  ...  44  45  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Connection suggestion

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑