World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Connection suggestion

Page  Page 10 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next »

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#136 | Posted: 10 Sep 2020 12:34 
Bronze Age Collapse should include Karnak:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Karnak_Inscription

Author Jurre
Partaker
#137 | Posted: 12 Sep 2020 12:02 | Edited by: Jurre 
Would a "Bay of Biscay" connection be possible in the Geography section?

- Fortifications of Vauban (Saint-Martin-de-Ré: city walls and citadel; Blaye-Cussac-Fort-Médoc: citadel of Blaye, city walls, Fort Paté and Fort Médoc)

- Routes of Santiago de Compostela in France (Eglise de Notre-Dame-de-la-Fin-des-Terres Soulac-sur-Mer, Clocher-porche de Mimizan, Bayonne Cathedral. The churches are situated on the "Voie de Soulac", an itinerary running along the Côte d'Argent, from Soulac to Bayonne.)

- Bordeaux (Bordeaux is situated on a bend in the river Garonne, where it has created a natural harbour, called Port of the Moon.)

- Route of Santiago de Compostela (Chemin de la Côte, Bilbao Cathedral, Santa Maria de la Asuncion, Colegiata de Santillana del Mar, Camino Lebaniego, Santa Maria de Soto de Luiña)

- Vizcaya Bridge (The bridge crosses the mouth of the Nervion River. Bilbao developed through great commercial activity and its seaport was the most important in the north coast of Spain.)

- Altamira Cave (Altamira: Human occupants of the site were well-positioned to take advantage of the rich wildlife that grazed in the valleys of the surrounding mountains as well as the marine life available in nearby coastal areas. (Wikipedia) - Tito Bustillo: Some of the paintings represent animals: horses, deer, moose and even a marine animal (probably a whale). (Wikipedia)

Author elsslots
Admin
#138 | Posted: 17 Sep 2020 07:39 | Edited by: elsslots 
Jurre:
Would a "Bay of Biscay" connection be possible in the Geography section?

I will add it. As with other Geography connections we try to be exact - so "bordering the Bay of Biscay" means exactly that and not a site 10km inland. Bordeaux for example seems too far out for me.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#139 | Posted: 17 Sep 2020 13:05 
elsslots:
I will add it. As with other Geography connections we try to be exact - so "bordering the Bay of Biscay" means exactly that and not a site 10km inland. Bordeaux for example seems too far out for me.

I would have thought the port of Bordeaux, which has a connection with the Bay via the Gironde would qualify Bordeaux. The WHS mentions the "Port de la Lune" specifically, so I would say the connection with the sea is an important part of the WHS.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#140 | Posted: 20 Sep 2020 15:32 | Edited by: Jurre 
Addition to the "World Monuments Watch (past)" connection:

- Medici Villas and Gardens - Gardens of Villa Medici At Castello (1996)
- Tauric Chersonese - Ancient Chersonesos (1996, 1998, 2002)
- Ani - Church of the Holy Redeemer, Ani Cathedral (1996, 1998, 2000, 2002)
- Çatalhöyük - Çatalhöyük Archaeological Site (1996, 2000)
- Hill Forts of Rajasthan - Jaisalmer Fort (1996, 1998, 2000)
- Levuka - Levuka (1998)
- Ahmadabad - Ahmedebad Walled City (1998)
- Thimlich Ohinga - Thimlich Ohinga Cultural Landscape (2000, 2002)
- Necropolis of Bet She'arim - Bet She'arim Archaeological Site (2002)
- Ephesus - Ephesos Archaeological Site (2004)
- Jantar Mantar - Jantar Mantar (2008)
- Banska Stiavnica - Banská Štiavnica Calvary Complex (2008)
- Ruins of Loropéni - Loropeni Ruins (2008)
- Aqueduct of Padre Tembleque - Acueducto de Tembleque (2010)

Already in the connection, but additional rationale:
- Teotihuacan - Teotihuacán Archaeological Site (1998, 2000, 2004)
- Portovenere, Cinque Terre, and the Islands - Cinque Terre (2000, 2002)
- Historic Cairo - Sultan Al-Muayyad Hospital (2002)

Unsure:
- Rhodes - Kahal Shalom Synagogue (2000)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#141 | Posted: 21 Sep 2020 18:20 
Jurre:
- Banska Stiavnica - Banská Štiavnica Calvary Complex (2008)

Scrap that. It's already in the list. I overlooked it.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#142 | Posted: 22 Sep 2020 18:36 
Jurre:
Addition to the "World Monuments Watch (past)" connection:

- Wooden Tserkvas of the Carpathian Region - St. Paraskewa Church (2012)
- Sukur - Sukur Cultural Landscape (2018)
- Medina of Essaouira - Jewish Quarter of Essaouira (2018)

Already in the connection, but additional rationale:
- Aleppo - Souk of Aleppo (2018)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#143 | Posted: 11 Oct 2020 18:38 
Under "Individual People Connections", I'd like to propose Tristão da Cunha

- Gough and Inaccessible Islands - Tristão da Cunha discovered the Tristan da Cunha Archipelago, which was named after him.
- Socotra Archipelago - After the Battle of Barawa (1507) and the subsequent defeat of the Portuguese, Tristão da Cunha, severely wounded, sought refuge in the Socotra islands after losing his men and ships.
- Rome - After returning to Europe, Tristão da Cunha was sent as ambassador from king Manuel I to Pope Leo X in 1514. They walked the streets of Rome in an extravagant procession of exotic wildlife and wealth of the Indies. The procession featured an elephant named Hanno, as a gift to the pope. The pope received the procession in the Castel Sant'Angelo. The elephant knelt down thrice in reverence and then, following a wave of his Indian mahout (keeper), used its trunk to suck water from a bucket and sprayed it over the crowd and the Cardinals.

Author elsslots
Admin
#144 | Posted: 13 Oct 2020 11:39 
Jurre:
Unsure:
- Rhodes - Kahal Shalom Synagogue (2000)

Fairly sure this is within the core zone.

Thanks Jurre for the research! I have now updated them all.

Author elsslots
Admin
#145 | Posted: 13 Oct 2020 11:42 
Jurre:
I'd like to propose Tristão da Cunha

Good one too!

Author Astraftis
Partaker
#146 | Posted: 14 Oct 2020 19:20 | Edited by: Astraftis 
OK, I don't know if this is too obvious, but among architectural connections there are already some like "domes" or "wooden churches", and I haven't found this, so... I could propose stelae! Which means a WHS whose primary feature are stelae or stele-like monuments. I thought about it doing some reviews. Now, among WHSs I can only think about Tiya right now, but there surely are many others. Maybe this might be extended to include other very vertical monuments, like obelisks or columns, like the Trajan's column in Rome?

Author elsslots
Admin
#147 | Posted: 15 Oct 2020 06:11 
Astraftis:
Maybe this might be extended to include other very vertical monuments, like obelisks or columns, like the Trajan's column in Rome?

In general I am in favour of narrower connections, so you do not get list of dozens of items. For obelisks there is already a connection, and Stelae as well.

Author Jasam
Partaker
#148 | Posted: 15 Oct 2020 09:49 
elsslots:
For obelisks there is already a connection

I'm a bit surprised to see monuments like the "Struve Meridian Obelisk, Hammerfest" in this list. According to Merriam-Webster, an obelisk is "an upright 4-sided usually monolithic pillar that gradually tapers as it rises and terminates in a pyramid" and according to the Cambridge dictionary, it is "a tall stone column with four sloping sides and a pointed top". It comes from the Latin obeliscus ("four-sided pillar"), itself borrowed from the Greek obelískos ("skewer, four-sided pillar").

Author Jasam
Partaker
#149 | Posted: 15 Oct 2020 10:03 
Jasam
Also, the obelisk in Bourges isn't in the core zone :)

Author Astraftis
Partaker
#150 | Posted: 15 Oct 2020 18:09 | Edited by: Astraftis 
elsslots

Ah, OK, oops, sorry. It is maybe somewhat confusing that it is under "constructions" instead of architecture, in the sense that the distinction is not so clear, for example when you find "domes" under Constructions. Could the two categories deserve conflation? I was also going to propose stupas, but then found them under Religion and belief...

PS about obelisks: etymologically, this word doesn't imply four-sidedness, so, even if the prototypical obelisk has four sides, the concept can be philologically unproblematically extended to similar "skewers"! But well, the Hammerfest's Struwe one is indeed rather a column...

Page  Page 10 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Connection suggestion

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑